Page 24 of 28 FirstFirst ... 19202122232425262728 LastLast

Thread: Predictions For Next Year's Shitty Headliner Who Shouldn't Be A Headliner

Default Re: Predictions For Next Year's Shitty Headliner Who Shouldn't Be A Headliner

Quote Originally Posted by mrhand View Post
    When presented with the question of whether a band could possibly headline the next Coachella, answer this question first: Are they currently capable of selling out arenas in America? (bold included for deluded My Morning Jacket fans, italics for deluded Blur/Stone Roses fans)

If the answer is yes, they get over the first (but not the only) wall, and you may proceed with other considerations and variables.

If the answer is no, 98% of the time that is also the answer to the original question, and your quest has ended.

In order to be among that 2% exception, you better be an absolute critical/media darling (Bjork, Portishead, Beck) and possess a significant prestige/rarity factor that makes up for the lack of raw drawing power and popular appeal.

Go ahead and run Cage the Elephant through that gauntlet and see what falls out the other side. (Spoiler alert: Not close to getting over first wall and are nowhere in range of the exception).
    I'm just going to nitpick here - My Morning Jacket has sold out arenas, haven't they? MSG in particular? And I would put Blur in the "Bjork, Portishead, Beck" category. At this point, a Blur show on U.S. soil would be a pretty major deal.

But yeah, Cage the Elephant is nowhere near headlining.
    Quote Originally Posted by baily View Post
    Eat a dick on that or did I make too much sense for your mind to take

Default Re: Predictions For Next Year's Shitty Headliner Who Shouldn't Be A Headliner

Nobody gives a shit about Blur in the States. I'm a huge fan, but it's true.

I can't verify this but I recall reading that a ton of MMJ shows were half empty on their last tour. Both are solid subheadliners in my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

DJ Shadow/Cut Chemist - 9/18 - Moody Theater
    Tycho - 9/20 - Emo's
    Bonobo (DJ set) - 10/10 - The Mohawk
    Screaming Females - 10/23 - Red 7
    Caribou & Jessy Lanza - 11/23 - The Mohawk

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Farnsworth View Post
    I'm just going to nitpick here - My Morning Jacket has sold out arenas, haven't they? MSG in particular? .
    Filling one arena (in a metropolitan area of 20 million people) isn't the same as putting on a sustained tour all over the country where you fill arenas in Tampa/Charlotte/Salt Lake City/Dallas/etc. Take a look at MMJ's current tour itinerary. They're playing theaters and amphitheaters consistently, not arenas.

And I would put Blur in the "Bjork, Portishead, Beck" category. At this point, a Blur show on U.S. soil would be a pretty major deal.
    Blur are not in the same category as those three examples. Those three have all headlined major US fesitvals. Blur has never even been in the conversation. They were never big in the U.S., so why would they be now? They had one significant hit (Woo Hoo!). Nor were they ever critical/media darlings in North America. A Blur show at Coachella would be as big a deal as Pulp was, which was sparsely attended, largely ignored in comparison to other sub-heads, and nowhere near a "pretty major deal."

The last time they toured North America, Blur was playing living room-sized venues (Great American Music Hall in SF, Vogue Theater in VAN, Roseland in PDX, Showbox in SEA), and they haven't done anything since then. Ask 100 Coachella goers to name a Blur song other than Song 2, and 60 of them would answer "WOO HOO," and the other 40 would ask who the fuck Blur is.

Well said. I would agree with that.

So I wonder, what coachella organizers/booking agents consider to be a suitable sub-headliner? Do they go for popularity or do they go for what they consider to be "good". It's like they're making their own mix tape.
    Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Is that written in some sort of underground rat language I'm not familiar with?

They have a dart board for each stage

personally I dont think this will be a year w/ a weak headliner, but then again theres always bound to be complainers....

Jack White
    Pearl Jam
    Rolling Stones

the next band to make the jump will be the Yeah Yeah Yeahs. 2013 or 2014, depending on if GV moves the event or not.
    Coachella 07 (the introduction), 08 (the bands), 09 (the documentary), 10 (the people i came with), 11 (the relationship test... we passed), 12 (whatever the weather, Dirty Epic forever), 13 (the year of the troll)

- PEARL JAM WHY YOU HATE COACHELLA? -

Quote Originally Posted by rmizzle View Post
    I get the feeling that 2013 lineup will look very similar to the 2010 2nd/3rd line billings.
    yeah pretty much. Grizzly Bear, Hot Chip, Passion Pit, and maybe we can get La Roux and Gary Numan to make up their canceled sets from years prior as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    ICYMI: Today the two board members with the most questionable approach to music held mirrors up to each other; no one learned a thing and nothing will change.

September 24 - Modest Mouse - Vina Robles Amp.
    October 3/4 - Desert Stars - Pioneertown
    October 17 - Massive Attack - SB Bowl
    November 8 - Slowdive - Theater at Ace
    November 9 - Slowdive - Theater at Ace
    April 10/11/12 - Coachella wknd 1 - Indio

Quote Originally Posted by Coachella Bound View Post
    personally I dont think this will be a year w/ a weak headliner, but then again theres always bound to be complainers....

Jack White
    Pearl Jam
    Rolling Stones

the next band to make the jump will be the Yeah Yeah Yeahs. 2013 or 2014, depending on if GV moves the event or not.
    Yeah Yeah Yeahs definitely deserve it, but I still have a hard time imagining it. I wonder if their Big Day Out appearance is a one-off or will they finally have a new album by then.
    9/10 Swans @ Roxy, 9/17 Karen O at Masonic Lodge, 9/19 Tokimonsta @ El Rey, 9/20 Chvrches @ Tower Theatre, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/3-4 Desert Stars, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/22-25 CMJ, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

fuck cage the elephant

They had one significant hit (Woo Hoo!). Ask 100 Coachella goers to name a Blur song other than Song 2, and 60 of them would answer "WOO HOO," and the other 40 would ask who the fuck Blur is.
    That's admirable that you even think the 60 that know "WOOOO HOOOOO" even know it is a Blur song.

If Blur subheadlines (because no way in hell are they headlining), they will have to pull a Pulp and shut down major stages to get enough people there. Not saying it's right, but there you go.

Also, it was my understanding that the only reason Portishead was a headliner temporarily is because they were still in negotiations with Prince, not because they were ever legitimately going to be the headliner. So that comparison is sort of moot.

Filling one arena (in a metropolitan area of 20 million people) isn't the same as putting on a sustained tour all over the country where you fill arenas in Tampa/Charlotte/Salt Lake City/Dallas/etc. Take a look at MMJ's current tour itinerary. They're playing theaters and amphitheaters consistently, not arenas.
    So you are saying that before the following bands were announced as Coachella headliners, they were all selling out multiple arenas across America: Jack Johnson, The Killers, Kings of Leon, Arcade Fire, Muse and The Black Keys? I remember the months leading up to Coachella, last year, how surprised everyone was that TBK were playing Madison Square Garden. I also remember how Paul Tollet defended his decision to place The Killers amongst the top billed. Lastly, I saw Arcade Fire the night before they headlined Coachella and the venue was about 70% occupied (not even at an arena). Scalpers couldn't give their tickets away. I picked up two for twenty bucks a piece.

I'm pretty sure the next time that The Black Keys and Arcade Fire come to town they won't be playing an arena, unless they are the opening act.
    "ain't no thang but a chicken wang"

If Cage the Elephant is at headliner popularity, then I am incredibly out of touch with what the young'ns are listening to. I still only know that Ain't No Rest song. And I'm only 24...

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

the black keys will be headlining arenas until their arms fall off.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Fuzz View Post
    I'm pretty sure the next time that The Black Keys and Arcade Fire come to town they won't be playing an arena, unless they are the opening act.
    The Keys and Arcade Fire played arenas in the Salt Lake area on their respective Coachella tours, and we aren't exactly the country's biggest metropolitan area. Stop being silly. Also, your Las Vegas show was "a sold-out, standing-room-only concert."
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

Quote Originally Posted by travelfan View Post
    If Cage the Elephant is at headliner popularity, then I am incredibly out of touch with what the young'ns are listening to. I still only know that Ain't No Rest song. And I'm only 24...
    The reason why Jack Johnson, The Killers, Kings of Leon, Arcade Fire, Muse and The Black Keys were considered the shitty headliner is because no one thought that the they were "at headliner popularity". If it was obvious that the band would headline, then we wouldn't consider them to be a shitty headliner.

Quote Originally Posted by Miroir Noir View Post
    The Keys and Arcade Fire played arenas in the Salt Lake area on their respective Coachella tours, and we aren't exactly the country's biggest metropolitan area. Stop being silly. Also, your Las Vegas show was "a sold-out, standing-room-only concert."
    It was sold out because of scalpers. I was there and I bought my tickets from a scalper. He said that him and all of his buddies lost their ass on the show because nobody was buying their tickets. I have never even heard an Arcade Fire song on the radio. Arcade Fire are great and all, but they're not coming back to town to play an arena.

The reason why Jack Johnson, The Killers, Kings of Leon, Arcade Fire, Muse and The Black Keys were considered the shitty headliner is because no one thought that the they were "at headliner popularity". If it was obvious that the band would headline, then we wouldn't consider them to be a shitty headliner.
    I do not follow any of those acts, but I could name 4-5 songs minimum from all of them that had radio traction (or were "indie hits" in the case of Arcade Fire), and even though they may have been a bit of a letdown, I "get" why all of them were headliners. The only Cage the Elephant song that has ever been on my radar was that Ain't No Rest song, and that was years and years ago. I'm sure they have other songs on rock radio, but they have absolutely escaped my radar. I just do not see the headliner potential at all.

I'm pretty sure the next time that The Black Keys come to town they won't be playing an arena, unless they are the opening act.
    Last edited by xuclarockerx; 07-16-2012 at 08:11 AM.

I do not follow any of those acts, but I could name 4-5 songs minimum from all of them that had radio traction (or were "indie hits" in the case of Arcade Fire), and even though they may have been a bit of a letdown, I "get" why all of them were headliners. The only Cage the Elephant song that has ever been on my radar was that Ain't No Rest song, and that was years and years ago. I'm sure they have other songs on rock radio, but they have absolutely escaped my radar. I just do not see the headliner potential at all.
    Okay, name me five Black Keys songs and five Arcade Fire "indie hits", please.

You can see how these bands were worthy of headlining after the fact that they did headline. But, I know for a fact that the boards were flooded with an overwhelming amount of criticism and disbelief when all of those acts were announced as headliners.

I think people here were happy to see Arcade Fire headline.

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

You can see how these bands were worthy of headlining after the fact that they did headline. But, I know for a fact that the boards were flooded with an overwhelming amount of criticism and disbelief when all of those acts were announced as headliners.
    that's because erryone wants 3 huge headliners they are in love with every year.

if you can't see a qualitative difference between arcade fire's first 2 albums and cage the fucking elepant's first two albums you're not paying attention.

the black keys have been putting in work for over ten years and finally broke through the mainstream. cage the elephant is shitty radio rock from the start.
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

Jack Johnson, The Killers, Kings of Leon, and Muse...

Quote Originally Posted by heart cooks brain View Post
    that's because erryone wants 3 huge headliners they are in love with every year.

if you can't see a qualitative difference between arcade fire's first 2 albums and cage the fucking elepant's first two albums you're not paying attention.

the black keys have been putting in work for over ten years and finally broke through the mainstream. cage the elephant is shitty radio rock from the start.
    I saw both of these bands before they played their Coachella headlining gig and while both were great, they still make for shitty headliners.

Friday night headliners are those that are "almost" there. i think the hope is playing the top spot at Coachella will solidify that and help the concert biz all around. Big acts are needed and if GV can give them a hand and we get a good show, why not?

ivankay took care of The Black Keys, and on top of that I was aware of Thickfreakness or however it is spelled far before Black Keys blew up.

Arcade Fire had Rebellion (Lies) and Wake Up, which were absurdly gigantic indie hits and strong alternative radio hits, and then you had We Used to Wait and Ready to Start all over alternative radio in the months before they were announced as headliner.

Realistically, I see Cage as an Interpol/Silversun Pickups level of popularity...you can name a couple radio standbys if you listen to KROQ, people outside of that genre have heard of them and can maybe name one song, and they could be billed even on the second line. But headliner? No way.

What is Cage the Elephant's monster hit? The one where a whole field of 50,000 attendees, the majority of them casual fans at best, can sing along? Lonely Boy, Use Somebody, Wake Up, Mr. Brightside/Somebody Told Me/Are We Human or Are We Dancer/tons of others (Killers have had hits for day, even if they all stink), all of Muse's crazy operatic songs that I don't know the weird names to but everybody knows anyway ("We! will! be! victoriousssss" blah blah blah), Lisztomania/1901 (because if there is an up and coming rock band that might be big enough to be the weak headliner, it's Phoenix)....Ain't No Rest for the Wicked? Doesn't quite have the same appeal.

i'm with a lot of people in thinking No Doubt will be this 2013's Friday headliner.

What is Cage the Elephant's monster hit? The one where a whole field of 50,000 attendees, the majority of them casual fans at best, can sing along?

These guys have at least a half dozen singles that have been getting a ton of air play lately. Their live shows are really good. One one more album with a few more hits and these guys are headlining.

Lolla vid of great performance: