Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The blues thread

Default Re: The blues thread

Also, I love Hendrix and I've always felt like Band of Gypsys featured his best guitar work.

The Replacements - OutKast - The Knife - HAIM - Bonobo - Afghan Whigs - The Glitch Mob - The Cult - Shlohmo - Waxahatchee - Wye Oak

Queens of the Stone Age - Pharrell Williams - Pet Shop Boys - Empire of the Sun - Fatboy Slim - Nas - Kid Cudi - Warpaint - Mogwai - Foxygen - The Dismemberment Plan - Blood Orange

Arcade Fire - Beck - Neutral Milk Hotel - Disclosure - Motorhead - Duck Sauce - Little Dragon - Toy Dolls - Fishbone - Superchunk - Daughter - Surfer Blood

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by buddy View Post
    Sister Rosetta Tharpe, although maybe more gospel, is worth checking out just because you don't hear many women or men playing with as much damn passion, and soul then or now as she did.
    thanks, i actually love gospel and religious songs, which is odd since i was not raised in any sort of church.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

Although I consider him more of a slide-guitar expert than anything else, Sonny Landreth is worth a listen and still plays live fairly often.

Quote Originally Posted by roboticwaltz View Post
    Also, I love Hendrix and I've always felt like Band of Gypsys featured his best guitar work.
    It's not really news, but just in case: 12 unreleased "experimental" tracks coming out March 5. From the site: "He plays keyboards, percussion and a second guitar on the album".

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

somehow i have a shit load of hendrix on my ipod. i find i'm hit or miss with what i enjoy from him, which is probably sacrilegious or something. but i love red house.

been digging robert johnson, didn't realize i already had some of him on my ipod too that i'd listened to, but didn't register who was singing. also enjoying the gospel, always enjoy "down by the riverside". i'll check out more from this thread later, but thanks again for the suggestions.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

This is my #1 all time played song on iTunes, the blues doesn't get much better than this.

Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    been digging robert johnson, didn't realize i already had some of him on my ipod too that i'd listened to, but didn't register who was singing. also enjoying the gospel, always enjoy "down by the riverside". i'll check out more from this thread later, but thanks again for the suggestions.

4:14 mark.

I'm a huge Big Bill Broonzy fan. Prolific songwriter in the 1930s & 40s, developed throat cancer in the 50s and moved to a folk-blues sound to accomodate the demand from suburban whites just discovering this kind of music. Given that you're digging the old stuff, you may want to check out Blind Willie McTell. Leadbelly gets all the 12-string credit, but I think McTell was a better 12-string player.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    I'm still waiting for Jack White to finally admit that he invented the guitar.

That Anthology of American Folk Music that Bryan recommended in the leaks thread is fucking fantastic. I highly doubt the evangelical music of today is going to sound anywhere near as impactful in 75 years as this stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

Definitely one of the most amazing compilations ever. Harry Smith had so many great records in his collection and that comp just shines with love.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Harry Smith was a freaky dude.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.