Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kids at Coachella

Default Kids at Coachella

Hey. Anyone have experience with bringing a little one with to the festival? I'm sure it's been done. If you have any helpful tips, or thoughts, it is appreciated. Peace and love, R

Coachella Junkie frozen pilgrim's Avatar

Default Re: Kids at Coachella

how little?

in general, think of it like an auto sports event;

they will need excellent personal sun and hearing protection, and extra special care making sure they are drinking enough water. also, again, depending on how little you mean, you'll likely want to forego camping.

and be leaving early in the night...

Quote Originally Posted by frozen pilgrim View Post
    also, again, depending on how little you mean, you'll likely want to forego camping.
    no one under 18...and pretty sure that means no one, even if it's your baby.

i wouldn't recommend it for infants or toddlers... older than that they're likely to be scarred by the memories of all they shall witness.

I'd suggest finding a sitter, if possible. This is my first year as a parent and I thought about bringing the baby along, but it's not practical. Also, you can't bring your child onto to the camping area which means "hello ridiculously overpriced hotels!"

Yeah, it just doesn't seem practical, I barely want to bring a purse. Plus, children should not see some/most of the things that go on at Coachella. Find a sitter.
    If you don't like me, you can kiss my whole asshole

Friday:The Avett Bros, Yeasayer, La Roux, The Whitest Boy Alive, Passion Pit, Vampire Weekend, She & Him, Deadmau5, Jay-Z

Saturday: Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeros, the XX, Dirty Projectors, Major Lazor, MGMT, The Dead Weather, Hot Chip, Muse, 2ManyDjs

Sunday: Local Natives, Deerhunter, Miike Snow, Phoenix, Julian Casablancas, Infected Mushroom, Spoon, Sly & The Family Stone, Gorillaz

Quote Originally Posted by AlexBlewHimB4U View Post
    Yeah, it just doesn't seem practical, I barely want to bring a purse. Plus, children should not see some/most of the things that go on at Coachella. Find a sitter.
    Children should not see:
    sunshine
    live music
    diversity
    green grass
    palm trees
    spicy pie

Really?

you missed white people dancing badly and or strung out on amphetamines. And if you went last year, Prince. He's so small he freaks out the kids.

Coachella Junkie frozen pilgrim's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    no one under 18...and pretty sure that means no one, even if it's your baby.
    I didn't just mean onsite.

come on. 4500 posts and I haven't read the faq? :P

Cool Re: Kids at Coachella

Quote Originally Posted by rjb27blue View Post
    Hey. Anyone have experience with bringing a little one with to the festival? I'm sure it's been done. If you have any helpful tips, or thoughts, it is appreciated. Peace and love, R
    We bring our kids every year (and have since 1999) - you will need to have a really good pram (stroller with cover) for wheeling the little bugger around - it is ALOT of walking. Plan to miss some stuff while caring for your childs needs in the burning hot sunshine. They are loathe to allow umbrellas but generally make exceptions at the gate (they did for us) so make sure you have something to cover/house the babes. You must make sure to have them completely covered up in lightweight clothing to avoid mad sun exposure - for if you are not VIP there are few sections that offer up much shade, which brings me to the other- buy VIP tix and wristbands if you are going to bring the kids - plenty of shade, food, fans that spew mist, restrooms and shorter food lines/worth the extra cashola. I'd also recommend GREAT head gear which our little ones used from age 6 months up (daddy is in a rock band so they are used to it) we recommend Peltor Juniors - that's what our brood uses. You do not want to blow out their tiny ear drums for your festival pleasure.

Rent a house (cheaper, by a lot, than hotels) in Indio or Coachella or La Quinta. In this market there are plenty available. So you have a place to retire to when you are all done - and likely it will be before the last band has played (back to one of the first on the list - plan to miss stuff you wanted to see).

Bottom line, we have had nothing but amazing experiences and our children LOVE it and LOVE going - with that said, we are a VERY liberal family and our kids are well informed and know what's what - seeing as the naked running man of 2006, (or 07?) who was put down by the cops is about the extent of nudity that could be somewhat offensive, (Our kids found it quite amusing.) there isn't much else that they'll be exposed too, beyond the whiff and scent of weeds and the debauchery of the fun minded. So take them and enjoy, but know that it will be ALL about the kids.... and for us, that was okay...
    Last edited by mauimom; 03-15-2009 at 11:03 AM. Reason: misspelling... oi
    love life love music
    my eleventh fantasy

Please read my brilliant, hilarious, and completely relevant anecdote that was languishing unread in another thread:

Never seen any young children at Coachella, but I did have several run-ins with young parents at the first day of Outsidelands in San Fran. Was making my way through the crowd before Manu Chao and was astounded to find out that approximately 5000 young families had seemingly arrived the moment the gates opened and proceeded to blanket the front of the stage with their patchwork quilts and diaper bags. As we made our way through the crowd, I became increasingly aware at how annoyed these young parents were that their blankets were being stepped on, and then it dawned on me: These dim bulbs actually thought that by placing their blankets on the grass that they had in fact reserved that little 5x6 area where their entire family could sit and have juice boxes and string cheese and enjoy an unobstructed view of Radiohead's headlining set that very evening. As I contemplated this amusing thought, I ducked down to take a pull off my first bowl of the festival and was promptly confronted by an irate Latino man that couldn't have been more upset that I had decided to imbibe herbs in the vicinity of his young son, who was sitting on the corner of his family's blanket and could not have been less interested in what I was doing or smoking. The man kept blathering on about how he "was cool with it" but not in front of "the boy." I apologized, pointing out that I was unaware I was attending a G-rated music festival and suggested that perhaps I mistakenly stumbled upon an unbilled Hannah Montana performance that was not listed on the schedule I recieved. His wife was kind enough to point out that what I was doing was illegal, and not wanting to prolong our pointless (but hilarious) conversation, I reminded the man that he was the one who brought his child to a rock concert, and that he was the one responsible for any acts of drug use and debauchery witnessed by his son that day.

My friends and I moved on and found another spot in front of the stage to continue smoking. While finishing our bowl, Manu Chao took to the stage, and that's when I noticed a young, gorgeous woman holding an infant that couldn't have been more 4 or 5 months old. The woman was what I would call a 'clean hippy' - she had dark brown hair and was wearing a blue sundress and was quite stunning in every way. Her baby was wearing huge, over-sized, silver ear muffs and drank hungrily from his mother's exposed left breast. Both mother and child seemed quite happy and were not the slightest bit concerned about what we were smoking and I'd wager that child will probably grow up to be an extraordinarily talented musician thanks to his hot, free-spirited mother and her perfect breasts. The little boy whose parents I unfortunate to meet will most likely grow up to be a degenerate drug addict just to spite his annoying, overbearing, and quite retarded mother and father.

So, the moral of this long-winded story would be this: If you decide to bring your young children to Coachella, be like the gorgeous, free-spirited milf with the great tits, not the obscenely clueless Latino gentleman with the terrible breath and the prune-faced wife. That is all.....

yes bobart... very well said... very.

i have long dark hair, enjoyed Outsidelands in the bay and my hubby adores my boobs as much as our infant daughter - which brought me to this... mama, if you're still nursing like I am - don't forget to pack some lanolin, the desert heat is much harder on the nipples. and a sunhat to cover the babes face while suckling... sun is good for boobs.
    love life love music
    my eleventh fantasy

I hear if they find lost children, they use them in the burgeritos.

Banned

=O who told!?!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by 75 Miles View Post
    Children should not see:
    sunshine
    live music
    diversity
    green grass
    palm trees
    spicy pie

Really?
    if you change Spicy Pie to BBQ it sounds ALOT more like my Stagecoach experiences than anything i've experienced at Coachella...

and Bobert, that post was bloody brillant...
    Last edited by Xenocide; 03-15-2009 at 03:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by michaelmontanez View Post
    I hear if they find lost children, they use them in the burgeritos.
    if that was true the burgeritos would taste better than they do...

Quote Originally Posted by Xenocide View Post
    if you change Spicy Pie to BBQ it sounds ALOT more like my Stagecoach experiences than anything i've experienced at Coachella...
    not so sure about the diversity at stagecoach, though. that shit is pretty damn white...with some red necks.

i brought my kid last year and this year will be bringing the kids to stagecoach, much more family friendly, plus i don't care for country music so have no problem leaving when the kids are done.

12 and belowthey stay with me 13 and up they can do whatever

Banned

^ either you're a father or a really creepy man.

hmmmm...........

Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    not so sure about the diversity at stagecoach, though. that shit is pretty damn white...with some red necks.

i brought my kid last year and this year will be bringing the kids to stagecoach, much more family friendly, plus i don't care for country music so have no problem leaving when the kids are done.
    FACT: i've seen more black people at Stagecoach then Coachella (aside from on stage, of course; although last year Stagecoach DID have a black act on the main stage... i can't think of any black acts on Coachella's main stage last year...)

FACT: i've seen 100x more kids at Stagecoach than Coachella... aside from 2 or 3 infants, i don't recall seeing ANY children or young teenagers at Coachella last year... shit, they even have KID AREAS at Stagecoach...

FACT: i've seen more black people at Stagecoach then Coachella (aside from on stage, of course; although last year Stagecoach DID have a black act on the main stage... i can't think of any black acts on Coachella's main stage last year...)

FACT: i've seen 100x more kids at Stagecoach than Coachella... aside from 2 or 3 infants, i don't recall seeing ANY children or young teenagers at Coachella last year... shit, they even have KID AREAS at Stagecoach...
    prince was on the main stage...so was cool kids.....actually i think thats it

didn't make it clear, i guess...brought my daughter to stagecoach last year, not coach. have a new son, who will be 7 months by festival weekend, and will be bringing him and his big sis to stagecoach again this year. hell no would i bring them to coach, that's for me.

Quote Originally Posted by DRcube View Post
    prince was on the main stage...so was cool kids.....actually i think thats it
    cool kids played main? okay, then, forgot about that...

i don't think of Prince as black, he's that Michael Jackson colour, whatever that is...

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

bobert i would read an entire book of blurbs like that

I agree, Drinkey. Bobert covered it quite eloquently.

Viva las free-spirited, breasty MILFs!!

It is great that Stagecoach is so family-and-kid oriented. Unfortunately, my 9-year-old daughter's ears bleed profusely at even just a hint of country music. So, Coachella it is with her, third year running! It has become our little tradition, and a pretty damn fun one at that (especially for her). I can see how it wouldn't necessarily be something that everyone would want to do with their kids, but it can work.

Also I should add that when I refer to "diversity" at Coachella, I'm talking about something wider than skin color. I'm talking about hippies and naked people and Speedo guys and people who are obviously out of their minds on drugs, and so forth. THOSE are the people that my kids don't see every day...and are teachable moments just waiting to happen, for the most part.

And Bobert...well put.

Quote Originally Posted by bobert View Post
    Please read my brilliant, hilarious, and completely relevant anecdote that was languishing unread in another thread:

Never seen any young children at Coachella, but I did have several run-ins with young parents at the first day of Outsidelands in San Fran. Was making my way through the crowd before Manu Chao and was astounded to find out that approximately 5000 young families had seemingly arrived the moment the gates opened and proceeded to blanket the front of the stage with their patchwork quilts and diaper bags. As we made our way through the crowd, I became increasingly aware at how annoyed these young parents were that their blankets were being stepped on, and then it dawned on me: These dim bulbs actually thought that by placing their blankets on the grass that they had in fact reserved that little 5x6 area where their entire family could sit and have juice boxes and string cheese and enjoy an unobstructed view of Radiohead's headlining set that very evening. As I contemplated this amusing thought, I ducked down to take a pull off my first bowl of the festival and was promptly confronted by an irate Latino man that couldn't have been more upset that I had decided to imbibe herbs in the vicinity of his young son, who was sitting on the corner of his family's blanket and could not have been less interested in what I was doing or smoking. The man kept blathering on about how he "was cool with it" but not in front of "the boy." I apologized, pointing out that I was unaware I was attending a G-rated music festival and suggested that perhaps I mistakenly stumbled upon an unbilled Hannah Montana performance that was not listed on the schedule I recieved. His wife was kind enough to point out that what I was doing was illegal, and not wanting to prolong our pointless (but hilarious) conversation, I reminded the man that he was the one who brought his child to a rock concert, and that he was the one responsible for any acts of drug use and debauchery witnessed by his son that day.

My friends and I moved on and found another spot in front of the stage to continue smoking. While finishing our bowl, Manu Chao took to the stage, and that's when I noticed a young, gorgeous woman holding an infant that couldn't have been more 4 or 5 months old. The woman was what I would call a 'clean hippy' - she had dark brown hair and was wearing a blue sundress and was quite stunning in every way. Her baby was wearing huge, over-sized, silver ear muffs and drank hungrily from his mother's exposed left breast. Both mother and child seemed quite happy and were not the slightest bit concerned about what we were smoking and I'd wager that child will probably grow up to be an extraordinarily talented musician thanks to his hot, free-spirited mother and her perfect breasts. The little boy whose parents I unfortunate to meet will most likely grow up to be a degenerate drug addict just to spite his annoying, overbearing, and quite retarded mother and father.

So, the moral of this long-winded story would be this: If you decide to bring your young children to Coachella, be like the gorgeous, free-spirited milf with the great tits, not the obscenely clueless Latino gentleman with the terrible breath and the prune-faced wife. That is all.....
    Thank you for that.

Quote Originally Posted by 75 Miles View Post
    It is great that Stagecoach is so family-and-kid oriented. Unfortunately, my 9-year-old daughter's ears bleed profusely at even just a hint of country music. So, Coachella it is with her, third year running! It has become our little tradition, and a pretty damn fun one at that (especially for her). I can see how it wouldn't necessarily be something that everyone would want to do with their kids, but it can work.
    My boyfriend's 8 year old daughter really wants to go to Coachella with us this year. She really loves a lot of the bands on the line up but I just don't think she will be very happy in the heat all day and will wind up too exhausted to hang past 9pm. Reading this though I am having a change of heart. This year Coachella falls on one of her mother's weekends so maybe next year she'll be ready to tag along...

On a side note, she told me that her mom won tickets on the radio to Coachella and would be selling them on ebay. I can't help to feel her mother is lying because 1)the only station I heard of giving out tickets in San Diego was 91X and I really doubt she ever listens to that station. 90.3 and 98.9 seem to be more up her alley seeing that her daughter knows the words to every soulja boy and rihanna song that is around, and 2) it wouldn't put it pass me that she would make something up like that knowing her daughter would find it awesome and tell her father and I. She's the type of woman that probably gets annoyed when her daughter asks her if she likes K'naan, Friendly Fires, Santogold, Ladytron, or the Yeah Yeah Yeah's just because she has know idea who any of these people are but her 8 year old does. But what do I know - maybe some shit station she listens to did give away tickets because they play the Ting Tings and Lupe Fiasco. Anyway, sorry to change the subject.
    /rant

Lurker

we will be bringing our baby to coahella this year. we got the peltor juniors and silicone ear plugs tated even higher than the peltors for his ears, extra outfits fit for the desert, an extra shade for his stroller, bathing suite material type sunhat, a little cooler fitted with ice pack for his water that will fit nicely in his backpack diaper bag, sunblock. we thought this out well and since its my third child i am pretty well aware of what you need to bring your kids out in the heat and sun. It is also a good idea to connect with other parents with kids. and just ignore anyone you come across who may give you shit for bringing your kid.