Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drive or Fly from SF?

Default Drive or Fly from SF?

What would you recommend? Driving or flying from SF?

Coachella Junkie frozen pilgrim's Avatar

Default Re: Drive or Fly from SF?

seriously?

yeah...i mean it's an 8 hour drive.

and no flamez bc i've never been to LA before so I just don't know. I've only been in CA a year.

Coachella Junkie frozen pilgrim's Avatar

it's not in los angeles.

jesus christ.

I would drive if you are camping. Fly if you are staying at a hotel/house.

Quote Originally Posted by frozen pilgrim View Post
    it's not in los angeles.

jesus christ.
    yeah but flights are much cheaper to LA than PSP. I think given the distance from LA to indio it's probably better to drive so THANKS for the OTHER answers.

Quote Originally Posted by miSTEVEious View Post

and no flamez bc i've never been to LA before so I just don't know. I've only been in CA a year.
    If I can do 20 hours from Texas, you can do eight.

jesus 20 is a shlep

hey I'm driving from SF and should have space, but we'll be leaving on Wednesday (and staying over in a hotel somewhere Weds night), as to get to camping early on thursday. Don't know how that would work with your schedule.

well i gotta work til 5 on wednesday but otherwise i'd totally be in. i will probably try to arrange some sort of car pool with 2 or 3 other people in a week or something to save on gas prices. i'll leave early on thursday so i don't get there too late.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

8 hours? Damn Sunday drivers

according to google maps. i can probably shave an hour off at least

Its more like 10 hours from the bay area to coachella door-to-door.

its 5 hours to LA from SF, i make the drive all the time...

dont know where you are getting 8 hours
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/pocketphotography/
    i shoot all the shows you want to go to

Quote Originally Posted by kingsblend420 View Post
    Its more like 10 hours from the bay area to coachella door-to-door.
    really?

cause from the fillmore to my apt in studio city it takes about 5 hours, from my apt to coachella takes around two hours...

this is driving around 80 most of the way.... and driving at night from SF and driving to coachella on a saturday or sunday to get there when the first band starts.

friday you can hit traffic though

Quote Originally Posted by pocket View Post
    really?

cause from the fillmore to my apt in studio city it takes about 5 hours, from my apt to coachella takes around two hours...

this is driving around 80 most of the way.... and driving at night from SF and driving to coachella on a saturday or sunday to get there when the first band starts.

friday you can hit traffic though
    Yeah I drive a bit slower, 70 or so, so thats probably what the difference is. Plus we stopped for gas and food more times than I would have liked too.

And yeah, in perfect driving conditions, it can be done in 5-7 hours. But leaving from the bay, you are going to hit traffic unless driving in the dead of night.

Last year we left Thurday at 10am. Came into LA around 3 which was perfect for rush hour, then we sat in rush hour traffic through LA and all the way down the 10 until we got past San Bernadino.

Thats why I say 10 hours. The difference is all in what time of day you get to LA. Its a difference of 3 hours or so.

well i really meant sf to indio. hopefully i will leave around 8-9 am and arrive in indio at 4-5 pm. that should be easy right?

When i've done this before, it's taken about 10 hrs, so if you leave at 9, you should be there by 7.

You might drive faster and/or make fewer stops than I do.

Also, be aware that you want to time it so that you get *through* LA County before 5pm, unless you're going around by cutting across 58 to 395.

Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

Quote Originally Posted by kingsblend420 View Post
    Yeah I drive a bit slower, 70 or so, so thats probably what the difference is. Plus we stopped for gas and food more times than I would have liked too.

And yeah, in perfect driving conditions, it can be done in 5-7 hours. But leaving from the bay, you are going to hit traffic unless driving in the dead of night.

Last year we left Thurday at 10am. Came into LA around 3 which was perfect for rush hour, then we sat in rush hour traffic through LA and all the way down the 10 until we got past San Bernadino.

Thats why I say 10 hours. The difference is all in what time of day you get to LA. Its a difference of 3 hours or so.
    well 70 is the speed limit on the 5 from SF to the grapevine so going 80 really isnt seen as speeding, if you are going 85 they may stop you though.

your other problem was you used the 10, take the 5 to the 134 to the 210 to the 57 to the 10. i know it seems like a lot of free ways but it cuts so much time out because you drive through glendale/pasadena instead of LA and you miss the cluster fuck of the 10 through east LA

well i really meant sf to indio. hopefully i will leave around 8-9 am and arrive in indio at 4-5 pm. that should be easy right?
    on what day, but yeah you should be fine with that estimate. also depends on if you drive straight or stop. cheapest gas on the 5 from SF is normally at lost hills where there is a gas station called LOVES and a 24 hour arbys, also is cheap at the exit right after the grapevine. stay away from the grape vine gas station and the harris ranch one, they are way rip offs.

Quote Originally Posted by aphrael View Post
    When i've done this before, it's taken about 10 hrs, so if you leave at 9, you should be there by 7.

You might drive faster and/or make fewer stops than I do.

Also, be aware that you want to time it so that you get *through* LA County before 5pm, unless you're going around by cutting across 58 to 395.
    I hate driving though LA.

Have you done the crossover on the 58 to 395? Faster? Slower?
    Last edited by Wheres the beef?; 03-13-2009 at 02:23 PM.

i drove it one year ...if you are solo and going to get a hotel , yea a plane, else its really a fun drive but then i like to drive .... cr****
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

Quote Originally Posted by pocket View Post
    well 70 is the speed limit on the 5 from SF to the grapevine so going 80 really isnt seen as speeding, if you are going 85 they may stop you though.

your other problem was you used the 10, take the 5 to the 134 to the 210 to the 57 to the 10. i know it seems like a lot of free ways but it cuts so much time out because you drive through glendale/pasadena instead of LA and you miss the cluster fuck of the 10 through east LA.
    Ah there you go. I will try that this year. I think, actually, that was the plan last year but we missed the turnoff and went straight to the 10. That was probably part of the problem.

I drive 70 more for fuel efficiency than for anything else. I'm not worried about getting a speeding ticket on the 5 to LA. There are plenty of people going way faster than 80-85. That, and, on the 450 mile or so drive, the difference between someone doing 80 and someone doing 70 is like 45 minutes. I'd rather save the extra money I would have to spend on gas to get there faster.

your other problem was you used the 10, take the 5 to the 134 to the 210 to the 57 to the 10

Why would you do that?

Why not 5->210->30->10?

cut to the 210 as soon as possible and avoid the Valley and Hollywood; stay to the north end of the San Gabriel Valley and the Inland Empire; drop back down to 10 in Redlands.

TELEPORT
    Quote Originally Posted by paganman7 View Post
    I had a dream that my wife cheated on me with Calmer. True story.
    Quote Originally Posted by TeamCoachellaHellYeah View Post
    Did you find pee in her butt?

58->395 is slower than 5->210->30->10 unless the timing of your trip puts you in LA County or the western part of the Inland Empire during rush hour.

That said, it's a prettier drive.

Coming back last year, I cut through Yucca Valley and across the high desert floor on local roads, reconnecting with major highways at 14->58->5; it was fantastic, but it took a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by aphrael View Post
    your other problem was you used the 10, take the 5 to the 134 to the 210 to the 57 to the 10

Why would you do that?

Why not 5->210->30->10?

cut to the 210 as soon as possible and avoid the Valley and Hollywood; stay to the north end of the San Gabriel Valley and the Inland Empire; drop back down to 10 in Redlands.
    well you dont go through hollywood on the 134 you avoid it, and i have never used the 30 so thats new to me.

i forgot you can get to the 210 from the 5, cause i live in studio city and have to take the 134 to the 210, once you get to the 57 though there really isnt any traffic, i had to commute to rialto 3 times a week from studio city last year for figure skating and was glad to get away from some of the traffic.

To fly Southwest from Oakland to Ontario is only $69/way right now. I'm going solo and I'm hoping to meet up with a friend from LA if he's interested, but haven't heard anything back yet. If anyone is driving or flying, I would be interested in chipping in for gas/car rental if you'd be willing to take on a passenger.

Oh, I live in Santa Rosa but could meet up in the Bay. Also, I can only afford to go one day (sigh) and plan on going Friday. If this works, please hit me up!
    Last edited by MandalynFox28; 03-14-2009 at 10:21 AM. Reason: Additional information.

It will take longer because you're going to hit rush hour traffic both in SF and near LA. We've been avoiding 5/10/210 in favor of some of the desert highways (going through barstow, basically). I'm not sure it's much faster, but it beats slow moving traffic. I seem to remember it taking more like 10-11 hours including a couple of stops but also driving between 80-100 mph once outside SF.

Chiapet: I don't understand why that scheduling would hit rush hour traffic in LA. I'm sorta figuring that if I leave the bay area at 9, i'm in the valley by 3. That gets me out past Upland by the time rush hour starts.

Or is rush hour earlier now?