Page 6 of 55 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Boxing/MMA thread

Default Re: The Official Boxing/MMA thread

What a KO. My god that was picture perfect, I mean look how Hatton layed out in the center of the ring like he was ready to be put in a casket WOW

Last edited by ADGZ662; 05-05-2009 at 10:00 AM.

Photo shots of Manny Pacquiao vs Ricky Hatton

Last edited by ADGZ662; 05-03-2009 at 10:03 AM.

this is the first boxing match i have seen in a long time. im happy i got to watch it, it was fucking great. action packed and a great finish.

but WTF is up with the people in the ring? is the objective to get as many people in there as you can?

Manny vs Mayweather

it's time for mighty mouse to shut that arrogant bastard up!!

Quote Originally Posted by idrive1life View Post
    for those who missed it

Pacquiao - Hatton

Round 1

Round 2
    WTF? I hate that HBO disables this shit, dont they know that they need as many people to view thier fights since they are always crying that their ratings are so low.

Well actually this last fight between Pacquiao & Hatton looks like its going to be the second highest ppv buyrate in ppv history the total buys looks to be anywhere from 1.6 million - 2 million buys the buys are still being counted, good news!

man, you guys missed an awesome submission this past weekend. basically a top mounted, inverted triangle executed in the standing position.

this is usually accomplished from the guard. on the ground.

RIP Benjamin Flores (BJ Flores pictured left)

http://msn.foxsports.com/boxing/stor...bout-in-Dallas

BOXING SCHEDULE

() indicates TV network
    BOLD print indicates best fights/fight of the week

May 8
    At Fort Worth, Texas (ESPN2): Craig McEwan vs. Brian Vera, 10 rounds, middleweights; Adrien Broner vs. Fernando Quintero, 8 rounds, lightweights; Carlos Velasquez vs. Andres Ledesma, 4 rounds, junior lightweights; Edgar Portillo vs. Salvador Zamora, 4 rounds, junior lightweights; Charles Hatley vs. Carlos Garcia, 6 rounds, junior middleweights; Hector Vasquez vs. Richard Best, 4 rounds, welterweights; Bernard Hopkins in studio

At Las Vegas: Ishe Smith vs. Brian Mihtar, 8 rounds, junior middleweights; Sharif Bogere vs. Marcos Herrera, 6 rounds, lightweights; Gabriel Del Real vs. Andre Gorges, 4 rounds, welterweights; Clarence Tillman vs. Beau Tribolet, 4 rounds, heavyweights; Jason Douglas vs. Dion Savage, 6 rounds, light heavyweights; Lonnie Smith vs. Francisco Palacios, 6 rounds, lightweights

At Vigo, Spain: Ivan Pozo vs. Christophe Rodrigues, 12 rounds, for Pozo's European flyweight title

At Franklin Square, N.Y.: Daniel Sostre vs. Tommy Rainone, 8 rounds, welterweights

At Tampa: Carlos Rivera vs. Alex "Ali" Baba, 8 rounds, featherweights; Ahsandi Gibbs vs. Marcus Upshaw, 8 rounds, middleweights; Jenna Shiver vs. TBA, 4 or 6 rounds, female featherweights; Jose Duran vs. Laquel Fleming, 4 rounds, welterweights

May 9
    At Las Vegas (HBO): Chad Dawson vs. Antonio Tarver, rematch, 12 rounds, for Dawson's IBF light heavyweight title; Bowie Tupou vs. Chris Koval, 8 or 10 rounds, heavyweights; Jose Guzman vs. Jose Lugo, 6 rounds, lightweights; Said El Harrack vs. TBA, 6 rounds, junior welterweights; Anna Donatella Hultin vs. Jasica Rojo, 4 rounds, female junior lightweights; Melissa Hernandez vs. Jeri Sitzes, 6 rounds, female featherweights

At Bamberg, Germany: Marco Huck vs. Vitaliy Rusal, 12 rounds, for Huck's European cruiserweight title; Alexander Abraham vs. Magomed Abdurakhmedov, 12 rounds, junior middleweights; Alexander Frenkel vs. TBA, 8 rounds, cruiserweights; Yoan Pablo Hernandez vs. Aaron Williams, 8 rounds, cruiserweights

At Chimkent, Kazakhstan: Beibut Shumenov vs. Alejandro Berrio, 12 rounds, light heavyweights; Roman Karmazin vs. Luis Augusto Dos Santos, 10 rounds, middleweights; Gayratjon Ahmedov vs. Luzimar Gonzaga, 8 rounds, light heavyweights; DeMarcus "Chop Chop" Corley vs. Sidney Siqueira, 8 rounds, junior welterweights; Willie Chapman vs. Talgat Dosanov, 6 rounds, heavyweights; Yersin Jailauov vs. TBA, 6 rounds, junior featherweights; Ravshan Hudoinazarov vs. Andre Marcos Nascimento, 6 rounds, junior middleweights; Kanat Orakbaev vs. Umid Soliev, 4 rounds, junior middleweights; Doszhan Ospanov vs. TBA, 4 rounds, heavyweights

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MMA SCHEDULE

May 8, 2009 - BFC - Bellator Fighting Championships 5
    May 8, 2009 - PFC 13 - Validation
    May 9, 2009 - Kick Down MMA 64 - Fearless
    May 9, 2009 - X-1 World Events - Hyatt vs. Penvaroff
    May 9, 2009 - JF - Jungle Fight Ceara

last weeks bellator was good and sengoku was good. im sure this weeks bellator will also be fun to watch.

goodbye sweet thread.

Any Bay Area boardies going to the Andre Ward fight @ the Oracle on May 16th? It should be a good one -- Showtime is carrying it. The guy he's fighting is talking so much shit already. I would love to see Andre get a KO in front of his hometown crowd. I've seen him fight twice in San Jose, but Oakland would be cool.

Quote Originally Posted by fiyahhh! View Post
    Any Bay Area boardies going to the Andre Ward fight @ the Oracle on May 16th? It should be a good one -- Showtime is carrying it. The guy he's fighting is talking so much shit already. I would love to see Andre get a KO in front of his hometown crowd. I've seen him fight twice in San Jose, but Oakland would be cool.
    This fight is going to be Andre Wards toughest to date. Ward is undefeated and an olympic gold medalist but he has never faced the caliber of fighter that Edison Miranda is which is why the jury is still out on how good Ward actually is. We'll find out soon, btw Miranda has always been a shit talker but I would be too if I had KO power like him (oh wait I do)

So Andre Ward better not get caught with a power hit or its lights out plus in the losses that Miranda has (Kelly Pavlik & Arthur Abraham) he himself was knocked the fuck out

Pavlik & Abraham are proven world champions Andre Ward is not, in order for him to be respected by the top dogs he needs a stunning KO!
    Last edited by ADGZ662; 05-07-2009 at 05:00 PM.

Showtime hasn't aired the west coast tape delay yet, so SPOILER ALERT for the Andre Ward fight!!!!

Ward wins unanimous decision over Miranda

OAKLAND, Calif. (AP)—Andre Ward remained unbeaten and stayed on course for a 168-pound title shot this year with the biggest victory of his pro career, a unanimous decision over Colombia’s Edison Miranda on Saturday night.

Ward (19-0, 12 KOs), the 2004 U.S. Olympic gold medalist, showed resilience in fighting 11 1/2 rounds with a cut over his left eye caused by a head-butt from the free-swinging Miranda (32-4). Although Ward couldn’t land a knockout, he clearly demonstrated better skill and discipline while thriving in the late rounds of just the second 12-round fight of his career.

Fighting at Oracle Arena in his hometown for the first time as a pro, Ward heard his name chanted during several rounds, and received a standing ovation afterward from the crowd of 7,818.

“This is kind of a bittersweet victory,” Ward said. “I’m happy and excited because the fans had a good time, and there were a lot of people here, but I’m not 100 percent happy with my performance. I’ve got to go look at the tape. I did some things well, but I felt I could have improved in other areas.”

Two judges scored the fight 119-109 for Ward, while the third favored him 116-112. The Associated Press also scored it 117-111 for Ward.

Miranda once was a prime 160-pound prospect, but was knocked out by Kelly Pavlik and Arthur Abraham in the last two years. The loss is his third in seven fights.

“I thought it was going to be easier, but it was tougher than I was expected,” said Miranda, a prodigious pre-fight trash talker. “I don’t feel cheated. Andre is the champion. I have respect for him.”

Miranda represented the biggest professional test for Ward, who has progressed deliberately in the nearly five years since his triumph in Athens, where he won the only gold medal for an American fighter in the last three Olympics. Injuries and overall caution kept Ward from capitalizing instantly on his Olympic success, but Virgil Hunter, his trainer and longtime mentor, believes Ward is ready for every top name in the super middleweight division.

Ward hopes his next fight will be against WBC 168-pound champion Carl Froch of Britain, who dramatically stopped Jermain Taylor in the final round of a bout Froch was losing last month. Ward is expected to be Froch’s mandatory challenger.

Barely a minute into this fight, Miranda lunged toward his retreating opponent and connected head-to-head with Ward, who complained to the referee. Ward fought the rest of the round with blood covering his face, and the cut opened again in the second.

“The cut was never a big factor,” Ward said. “I knew I had to keep my cool. Miranda is an awkward guy with long arms. … I would have liked to have stopped him, but I did what I had to do, and that’s the mark of a good fighter.”

Indeed, Miranda seemed more dazed than Ward from the exchange. He allowed Miranda to stalk him in the opening rounds, but replied with counterpunches and defense until Miranda eased off in the fourth.

Ward began to attack, landing big shots with both hands as he switched stances and broke down Miranda’s defense. Miranda rallied in the middle rounds when Ward wandered off his game plan, but the Olympian quickly got it back together, even while his left eye gradually got worse.

Ward fell to the canvas with about 20 seconds left in the 10th round, but his slip clearly wasn’t a knockdown.

Many top East Bay athletes turned out for Oakland’s biggest boxing event in about two decades, including Raiders quarterback JaMarcus Russell and Hall of Famer Rickey Henderson.

Marooko have you bought the UFC game??? I just bought it
    last night at midnight

Evans, round four, TKO.

No, I haven't gotten the game. I did download the demo, but haven't gotten to play it much.

What do you think about the game?

Sorry Mike, to you and your family I give my condolences.

Tyson's Daughter Dies After Accident
    Posted May 25, 2009 9:05 PM By JONATHAN J. COOPER(AP)PHOENIX (May 26) - The 4-year-old daughter of boxer Mike Tyson died at a hospital on Tuesday, a day her neck apparently got caught in a treadmill cord at her Phoenix home, police said.
    Mike Tyson

Exodus Tyson had been on life support and police have said their investigation showed her injury on Monday was a "tragic accident."
    "There are no words to describe the tragic loss of our beloved Exodus," the family said in a statement. "We ask you now to please respect our need at this very difficult time for privacy to grieve and try to help each other heal."
    Police said Exodus either slipped or put her head in the loop of a cord hanging under the console. Her 7-year-old brother found her and told their mother. She took Exodus off the cord, called police and tried to revive her.
    Responding officers and firefighters performed CPR as they took the girl to the hospital.
    Former heavyweight champion Tyson was in Las Vegas at the time of the accident and flew on Monday to Phoenix, where he was seen entering the hospital.
    Tyson spokeswoman Cynthia Schwartz said the family had not arranged a funeral yet.

So anybody got any info on this Mike Brown dude who will be fighting Urijah Faber this weekend does he have a good chance of winning ?? or is it gonna be an easy night for Faber.
    Last edited by ADGZ662; 06-03-2009 at 08:06 AM.

really?

this is a rematch. Brown knocked him out. Well, maybe a TKO. but yeah, i guess he's got a little bit of a chance.

also, Arlovski is gonna kill Rogers at Strikeforce. thats going down on sat. but, rogers has some hard hands, so, he's got a chance. i just think he's sloppy.

and as for Lawler, i hope he loses.

Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Say goodbye to that acid, Greg.

Pretty big MMA news. I'm sure it's mainly the UFC pushing it, but it's good for all.

http://sherdog.com/news/news/ny-bill...ommittee-17775

NY Bill Passes First Committee

Mixed martial arts raised its hand Tuesday in New York, as a bill to regulate the sport in the key state passed with majority approval through the state assembly's Committee on Tourism, Parks, Arts and Sports.

Bill 2009-B, which places the regulatory duties of the sport back in the hands of the New York State Athletic Commission, passed with a 14-6 vote. The state’s Codes Committee will now review and vote on the proposal’s legal implications. It is expected to then move right to the assembly floor for its final vote.

“It’s never gotten this far before,” said Michael Kim, a representative from the office of Assemblyman Steven Englebright, who both sponsored the bill and chaired the committee. “This is quite a first victory for the sport in the state.”

The sport has not come without its detractors in the Empire State, which banned the sport in 1997 under a bill signed by Gov. George Pataki.

In recent years, Assemblyman Bob Reilly has been the bill’s the most vocal opponent.

“I don't think we should show that to kids," Reilly, a former track coach, told AOL Fanhouse this week. "We don't want that in our schools. We legislate bullying and domestic violence all the time, but how can kids tell the difference when they're seeing it on TV, as a legitimate sport?"

On Tuesday, Reilly addressed the committee for 20 minutes. Reilly illustrated his belief that the sport was both unsafe and of a seedy element with a video that included footage from the November 2008 heavyweight title bout between Brock Lesnar and Randy Couture, TUF veteran Corey Hill’s gruesome leg break from a charity event last December, and UFC President Dana ‘s profanity-laced rant against a reporter last April.

A timetable for the bill’s remaining passage has not been set.

we dont wanna show this to our kids? WTF?! what a crock of shit.

Quote Originally Posted by marooko View Post
    really?

this is a rematch. Brown knocked him out. Well, maybe a TKO. but yeah, i guess he's got a little bit of a chance.

also, Arlovski is gonna kill Rogers at Strikeforce. thats going down on sat. but, rogers has some hard hands, so, he's got a chance. i just think he's sloppy.

and as for Lawler, i hope he loses.

Why you so surprised I hate MMA jk

I didnt see the first fight because I was busy with something else I think I was cleaning out the shed or something important like that but yeah I heard that Faber lost so okay I guess this is a fight to watch then I just hope it doesnt conflict with the NBA finals though

On Tuesday, Reilly addressed the committee for 20 minutes. Reilly illustrated his belief that the sport was both unsafe and of a seedy element with a video that included footage from the November 2008 heavyweight title bout between Brock Lesnar and Randy Couture, TUF veteran Corey Hill’s gruesome leg break from a charity event last December, and UFC President Dana ‘s profanity-laced rant against a reporter last April.
    I wonder why they would of shown this fight as a deterrent to the UFC. It was neither unsafe or seedy, if they wanted to show a fight like that they could have shown the Babalu fight where he holds the choke on to long and has the ref forcibly break him off.

Pretty big MMA news. I'm sure it's mainly the UFC pushing it, but it's good for all.

http://sherdog.com/news/news/ny-bill...ommittee-17775

NY Bill Passes First Committee

Mixed martial arts raised its hand Tuesday in New York, as a bill to regulate the sport in the key state passed with majority approval through the state assembly's Committee on Tourism, Parks, Arts and Sports.

Bill 2009-B, which places the regulatory duties of the sport back in the hands of the New York State Athletic Commission, passed with a 14-6 vote. The state’s Codes Committee will now review and vote on the proposal’s legal implications. It is expected to then move right to the assembly floor for its final vote.

“It’s never gotten this far before,” said Michael Kim, a representative from the office of Assemblyman Steven Englebright, who both sponsored the bill and chaired the committee. “This is quite a first victory for the sport in the state.”

The sport has not come without its detractors in the Empire State, which banned the sport in 1997 under a bill signed by Gov. George Pataki.

In recent years, Assemblyman Bob Reilly has been the bill’s the most vocal opponent.

“I don't think we should show that to kids," Reilly, a former track coach, told AOL Fanhouse this week. "We don't want that in our schools. We legislate bullying and domestic violence all the time, but how can kids tell the difference when they're seeing it on TV, as a legitimate sport?"

A timetable for the bill’s remaining passage has not been set.

I read this article earlier today too but you beat me to it

The bill is going to pass, I heard back in Nov when they appointed Dr. Melvina Lathan I think that is her name is? as the new state athletic director. She is pro MMA and her first goal was to get MMA up and running for New York. She is well respected with the politicians in New York and has been involved with boxing for the past 30 yrs but she stated how she likes MMA too and sees it doing big buisness for New York. And of course it will pass there is money to be made.

Quote Originally Posted by boboso View Post
    I wonder why they would of shown this fight as a deterrent to the UFC. It was neither unsafe or seedy, if they wanted to show a fight like that they could have shown the Babalu fight where he holds the choke on to long and has the ref forcibly break him off.
    seriously. maybe it happened too soon, but like a week or two ago, Sokodju kept hitting some dude after the ref. called the fight.

but even with that, what are we gonna do? ban everything? MLB pitchers have broken their arms. do we make them pitch slow?

It's going to be awesome watching Kimbo get destroyed on the Ultimate Fighter 10.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/15060/kimb...er-10-slot.mma
    "Kimbo Slice" scores slot on "The Ultimate Fighter 10" cast
    by Kevin Iole on Jun 01, 2009 at 11:30 pm ET
    LAS VEGAS – "Kimbo Slice," the controversial heavyweight who in 2008 headlined the most-viewed mixed martial arts card in history, will be one of 16 contestants on the forthcoming season of "The Ultimate Fighter," the UFC's reality TV series.

Dana White, the UFC's outspoken president, has repeatedly mocked Slice for his lack of fighting ability. Slice, whose real name is Kevin Ferguson, became a cult figure by competing in street fights that were posted on YouTube. Slice's "bouts" drew tens of millions of views and led him to turn professional.

He fought for the now defunct EliteXC, garnering massive media attention but getting mocked by White and others affiliated with the UFC for a lack of ability.

White has called him a "joke," a "bum" and "not a real fighter," among other less than kind descriptions. He said that Slice would "get murdered if he fought in the UFC" and suggested that his lightweight champion, 155-pound B.J. Penn, would "annihilate" the 230-pound Slice.

The UFC president has repeatedly insisted he would not allow Slice to compete in the UFC unless he won his way onto the show by competing on "The Ultimate Fighter."

Slice has called White's bluff and will appear on Season 10 of the highly rated Spike TV series, White has confirmed. Fighters live in the same house and train together, and then fight during the show in a bid to earn a UFC contract.

His appearance, along with that of former UFC light heavyweight champions Quinton "Rampage" Jackson and Rashad Evans as coaches, should guarantee massive ratings.

"It should be interesting, given some of the things I've said about him," White said.

Slice, who has a 3-1 professional record, appeared in the main event of the first MMA card shown on network television in the U.S. when he fought James Thompson on May 31, 2008, on CBS.

Slice won by third-round stoppage in a bout that attracted a record 6.5 million viewers and remains the most-viewed MMA bout in history.

But Slice hasn't fought since Oct. 4, when he was knocked out by a jab from late replacement Seth Petruzelli, a light heavyweight, just 14 seconds into another fight broadcast on CBS. The plug was pulled on EliteXC, which reportedly lost millions of dollars, in the aftermath of the fight.

White promised "some major surprises" as he announced on a Thursday conference call that Jackson and Evans, each of whom is a former light heavyweight champion, would serve as coaches on Season 10.

He declined to say anything further but urged reporters on the call not to miss media day, which is Tuesday at the UFC Training Center in Las Vegas.

White worked hard to keep Slice's appearance on the show a secret, hoping to have unveiled him Tuesday. Season 10, which is being called "The Ultimate Fighter: Heavyweights," was originally slated to feature a cast of eight heavyweights and eight middleweights, but the UFC quietly informed the middleweights who tried out that it was going with an all-heavyweight show.

And unlike in recent seasons, where the competitors had to win a fight to earn their way into the house, there will be no such arrangement this time. All 16 fighters – Spike and the UFC are keeping names of the others a closely guarded secret – will automatically move into the house.

Though White goes to great lengths to insist that nothing on the show is scripted, it's virtually guaranteed that Slice won't fight early in the competition. Having him around and alive in the competition is going to keep ratings elevated.

If Slice is able to advance to the live Dec. 5 finale, with a chance to earn a UFC contract with a win, ratings would likely be the largest in Spike history.

For the latest on "The Ultimate Fighter 10," stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of MMAjunkie.com.

Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Say goodbye to that acid, Greg.

Quote Originally Posted by bug on your lip View Post
    Ha. Before I saw this, I was just thinking that some of the people I know who are really into MMA are the same kind of people who were really into ninjas in the 80's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riggins33 View Post
    Hey rubber toe, it's a message board not a English essay. NERD

yeah, i dont know that kimbo is gonna make it very far. sure, he's got a punchers chance, but thats about it.

Quote Originally Posted by bug on your lip View Post
    I thought everyone who is on this board after Coachella was over are nerds... hu hah huh *snort* ha

There was some big news in boxing today also, Pacquiao accepted Shane Mosley's challenge, most boxing experts thought Paquiao would wait to fight the winner of the Mayweather-Marquez fight, but he will now fight the #1 welterweight in the world!!!

Pacquiao Accepts Challenge To Fight Mosley

Los Angeles, CA, June 3, 2009—Pound-for-pound king Manny Pacquiao has agreed to meet WBA Welterweight Champion “Sugar” Shane Mosley in a mega-fight at a catch weight. In an interview today with Filipino news organization GMA News, Manny Pacquiao agreed to Mosley’s dare to meet in the ring. “No problem, we can fight. As long we negotiate," Pacquiao said from his hometown, General Santos City.

Mosley countered, “Now that Manny has stated that he is ready to fight me, the only thing left to finish are negotiations. Richard Schaefer and Bob Arum are working out the details now. I will be ready to fight Pacquiao on October 17th.” Mosley has agreed to a 40-60 split and is willing to fight at a catch weight to meet Pacquiao in the ring.

Mosley last faced Antonio Margarito in January 2009 and delivered a ninth-round knockout. Pacquiao is coming off a second-round knock-out victory over Ricky Hatton in May.

Also today the David Haye vs Wladimir Klitschko fight for the heavyweight championship of the world was canceled due to a hand injury by Haye this fight was supposed to spark interest back into the HW division after years of no quality fights. 60,000 tickets had already been sold and now its all ruined, I have to say it again, fuck the HW division!

Haye Withdraws From June 20th Date Vs. Klitschko - Get Ready For The Backlash!

by James Slater - It's not a joke or a misprint; the Wladimir Klitschko-David Haye fight set for June 20th in Germany is off. All over the news, both on the net and on TV, the word has been revealed that Haye injured a hand during training for the fight, and he needs six to eight weeks so as to be ready to fight. The question now is, will Klitschko opt to take on another opponent on June 20th?

As fans know, the fight has resulted in a huge out-door sell-out at Schalke stadium in Germany, and the administration headache of refunding tickets and so forth may be too big a task to undertake, and the rescheduling of the fight for a later date may be ruled out as a result.. No doubt many, many fans have paid for travel and accommodation so as to be ringside on the 20th, and these same fans may well want to see another opponent step in so as to save the show. It's all speculation at this point, obviously, but after all the talking Haye did going into the bout, Klitschko may take the attitude that Haye has lost his chance.

As for the angry fans, I can hear them now. Haye will doubtless be getting accusations hurled at him in the coming days suggesting he has "bottled it" and that once the big fight got close his nerve faltered. This opinion, which we are sure to be hearing soon, is not one this writer shares. Injuries, particularly to a fighter's hand(s) are common in pre-fight training, and Haye is probably as upset as everyone else is right now.

Only last week end, we saw the heavyweight rematch that was Nikolai Valuev-Ruslan Chagaev II get called off at the eleventh hour, and now we have this, even more depressing news. In truth, no way near as many fans cared about last Saturday's no-show compared to this one. Who knows, maybe Valuev will now take the June 20th date with "Dr. Steel Hammer?"

As for Haye, will his critics ever forgive him? For although further news will almost certainly clarify that David's hand injury is indeed a serious and genuine one, some people will refuse to cut the guy any slack ever again.

Really, this fight being off is one of the worst pieces of bad luck to hit fights fans this year. Finally looking forward to a really exciting heavyweight battle that was sure to end via a violent KO one way or the other, the wait is now back on.

Hopefully, later today, perhaps with a TV appearance as opposed to a mere press release, we will hear more from the Haye camp.
    Last edited by ADGZ662; 06-03-2009 at 02:58 PM.