Page 2 of 54 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Boxing/MMA thread

Default Re: The Official Boxing/MMA thread

"Striking ability" doesn't always translate to boxing ability. Don't get all sensitive on me' Maroo. I'm quite aware of the skill set that most fighters possess. I simply stated that i prefer those showcased in boxing better.

Disclosure - October 12 - Reno, NV.
    Treasure Island Music Festival - October 19 - San Francisco, CA.
    Portugal, The Man - October 22 - Reno, NV.
    Cut Copy - October 31 - Reno, NV.
    Phoenix w/ Alt-J - December 5 - Reno, NV.

COACHELLA '07, '08, '09, '11, '13

To elaborate; most MMA fights, if not ended quickly by a first strike, tend to follow into a pattern of grappling and submission holds. That shit is boring to me, id rather watch a boxer systematically breakdown an opponent's defenses in the course of a match.

Disclosure - October 12 - Reno, NV.
    Treasure Island Music Festival - October 19 - San Francisco, CA.
    Portugal, The Man - October 22 - Reno, NV.
    Cut Copy - October 31 - Reno, NV.
    Phoenix w/ Alt-J - December 5 - Reno, NV.

COACHELLA '07, '08, '09, '11, '13

you're absolutely correct on that. except i mentioned two guys who have interest in boxing. one of which has been training with Freddie Roach for over 2 years now. the other has muay thai skills like no other. that would translate better than just regular MMA style striking.

also, i wasnt trying to equate the two. the best striker in MMA that doesn't have boxing training specifically, would look like a fool going up against a boxer. mainly because in MMA, you're not only looking out for punches. same as if someone came in with a straight boxing stance, they'd be leaving themselves open for leg kicks and takedowns.

ill try to calm my emotions. so are you PR?

Quote Originally Posted by gmoneyak View Post
    To elaborate; most MMA fights, if not ended quickly by a first strike, tend to follow into a pattern of grappling and submission holds. That shit is boring to me, id rather watch a boxer systematically breakdown an opponent's defenses in the course of a match.
    thats exactly what loses a lot of people. i remember when i first started watching this stuff on VHS. i was mad that fights were being stopped, and didnt understand why. but i like grappling, and slowly learned these guys were being choked out or having immense pressure put upon their joints. its not for everyone, but i dig it.

if you ever wanna give it a chance, look for Damian Maia vs. Jason MacDonald (UFC 87). definitely the best ground fight ive ever seen. the reversals, submission attempts and escapes in this match are bad ass.

Too bad Margarito is going to be out of commission for awhile.

Cotto is my boy, I always need to support the fellow Puerto Ricans..

There are some good fights on the horizon. I'm also looking forward to seeing Paul Williams vs. Winky Wright in April, that dude is a beast.

Yeah too bad, ha thats why I put this pic up too see if anybody new about his suspension for trying to load his gloves with a plaster like substance on his knuckle pads against "Sugar" Shane Mosley, he's suspended for 1 year in the states but is free to fight in other countries if he wants although experts are advising him to sit out the year. I'm very upset by this he was my favorite fighter. I saw tha Mosley-Margarito fight live at the Staples Center in Los Angeles back in January the atmosphere was awesome it was the largest crowd in Staples Center history for any event!!! the majority of the crowd was for Margarito he had become a boxing star and now he flushed it all down the crapper for trying to cheat, not to mention him getting ktfo by Mosley. BTW you didnt think that was Cotto in the pic where the guy's ear was falling that was a man by the name of Sebastian Lujan.

is he really allowed to fight in other countries while suspended in the states?

there is a dispute about that right now in MMA. a guy got suspended for banned substances he says he didnt use. he went and fought in Japan and either the NSAC or CSAC said they wont re-license him for doing so. i havent checked the story out lately, so dont know the outcome.

When this man is the heavyweight champion of your sport...then there's a problem with said sport. I think that means any big lug off the streets can be your champion, 3 professional fights and then he becomes champ c'mon!
    Last edited by ADGZ662; 03-12-2009 at 10:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by marooko View Post
    is he really allowed to fight in other countries while suspended in the states?

there is a dispute about that right now in MMA. a guy got suspended for banned substances he says he didnt use. he went and fought in Japan and either the NSAC or CSAC said they wont re-license him for doing so. i havent checked the story out lately, so dont know the outcome.

I dont know about the MMA dude but in Margarito's case yes he can the suspension is only valid in the states and Mexican officials have already said he is welcome to fight in his native country...problem is it would be against weak opposition since nobody wants to fight him in Mexico he should wait till next year and fight Cotto in a rematch too prove he wasn't cheating in their first classic fight!

Quote Originally Posted by ADGZ662 View Post

When this man is the heavyweight champion of your sport...then ther's a problem with said sport. I think that means any big lug off the streets can be your champion, 3 proffesional fights and then he becomes champ c'mon!
    believe me, this guy is getting very little love in the MMA world. even less from me. with that said, hes no big lug off the streets. look at his wrestling credentials outside of the WWE. he is very well established. but yeah, there was no reason for him to get that shot so quick. i dont give a shit how many times he won the DIV. 1 championships.

Okay since I started this thread i'll post up the fight schedule for the week for both sports and i'll sometimes show a fight preview of the best match ups of the week.

BOXING SCHEDULE

() indicates TV network
    BOLD print indicates best fights of the week

March 13
    At Montreal (Showtime): Lucian Bute vs. Fulgencio Zuniga, 12 rounds, for Bute's IBF super middleweight title

At Kissimmee, Fla. (Telemundo): Wilfredo Vazquez vs. Jose Beranza, 12 rounds, junior featherweights

March 14

At Manchester, England (Integrated Sports PPV): Amir Khan vs. Marco Antonio Barrera, 12 rounds, lightweights; Nicky Cook vs. Roman Martinez, 12 rounds, for Cook's WBO junior lightweight title; Enzo Maccarinelli vs. Ola Afolabi, 12 rounds, for vacant WBO interim cruiserweight title; Bradley Pryce vs. Matthew Hall, 12 rounds, for Pryce's Commonwealth junior middleweight title

At Mexicali, Mexico (Azteca America): Cesar Canchila vs. Giovani Segura, rematch, 12 rounds, for Canchila's WBA interim junior flyweight title

Kiel, Germany: Arthur Abraham vs. Lajuan Simon, 12 rounds, for Abraham's IBF middleweight title; Lamon Brewster vs. Michael Sprott, 8 rounds, heavyweights

MMA SCHEDULE

N/A nothing scheduled

NOTES/PREVIEW

no big fights in the MMA world

In boxing the best fight is the Barrera vs Khan matchup in this fight we have the old lion/boxing legend Barrera returning to the ring to face once beaten young prospect Amir Khan from England Khan's hometown it should be a great fight with Barrera in the twighlight of his career and Amir Khan is trying to bounce back from his upset KO loss to Breidis Prescott of Columbia, since that loss he has 1 victory and is now being trained by the great trainer Freddie Roach! its on PPV for the suggested price of $24.95

there are MMA fights this weekend, just none are being held by the major promoters.

I know

no big, important, significant fights

ah, i skimmed. good note.

believe me, this guy is getting very little love in the MMA world. even less from me. with that said, hes no big lug off the streets. look at his wrestling credentials outside of the WWE. he is very well established. but yeah, there was no reason for him to get that shot so quick. i dont give a shit how many times he won the DIV. 1 championships.
    you know I was probably being a lil harsh with good ol Crock of shit Lesnar, but I mean really he's a fucking pumped up steroid freak............................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .............
    This is the true HW lb for lb champion of the world and they must fight, but awwww the powers that be will not allow this fight to become a reality, sounds like MMA is taking a page out of Boxings book which isn't good.

until his last couple of fights, Fedor hadn't fought many top tier contenders. But yeah, the guy is a savage.

Sadly, the UFC/Zuffa thinks it is MMA. It isn't, it's the UFC, an MMA promotion. The biggest problem is M-1 Global wants a co-promoted event, featuring, Fedor vs. at the time, Couture (now it would be Lesnar). Sadly, UFC/Zuffa, isn't having any of it. I think it's a big mistake. Bad part about that is, Fedor/M-1, might be softening up. There is talk about Fedor being on the UFC 100 card. Rumored, but we'll see.

I don't want the UFC to go under, considering they put on "some" of the best fights. But I would love it if someone with as much money and promotional prowess, would challenge them. Scary part about that is, that opens the lane up larger for there to be several BIG promotions. Then that leads to boxing's problem.......50,000 title belts. Who's really the champ?! This is a big mess that needs cleaning bad.

I'm a big MMA fan, but by no means do I think it's golden, or flawless. It's still young, but because it's growing so fast, it's finding a lot of problems. I'm thankful for a lot of their fights, but fuck the way Zuffa runs the UFC!!!

Also, did you happen to see Fedor fight Arlovski?

Also, did you happen to see Fedor fight Arlovski?

No just youtube clips...that fight was in Anaheim on the same night I was at the Margarito vs Mosley fight in downtown LA @ the Staples Center fun,fun,fun night and thats saying alot considering my fav fighter got KTFO and got caught cheating but the atmosphere was electric biggest crowd ever at STAPLES Center for any event NBA,NHL, Music Concerts etc,etc... I think my ringside seats had something to do with it too!

I took some pics but they were horrible because I was so freakin wasted man

My Unc & George Lopez

LaDanian Tomlinson
    Last edited by ADGZ662; 04-03-2009 at 07:00 PM.

Arlovski was showcasing some sweet striking skills learned under Freddie Roach. Foot work, head movement, looked great. Then when he had the opportunity to really put the heat on, he gos in for a flashy flying knee.......end of story via right overhand from hell!!!

Arlovski was showcasing some sweet striking skills learned under Freddie Roach. Foot work, head movement, looked great. Then when he had the opportunity to really put the heat on, he gos in for a flashy flying knee.......end of story via right overhand from hell!!!
    its in this highlight vid I just posted earlier

ive probably seen the majority of them fights, and its too long. at work i dont watch anything more than 30secs.

im at "work" too... looks like we're both putting in a good days "work"

such is life.

Too bad Margarito is going to be out of commission for awhile.

Cotto is my boy, I always need to support the fellow Puerto Ricans..

There are some good fights on the horizon. I'm also looking forward to seeing Paul Williams vs. Winky Wright in April, that dude is a beast.

hey g-money check out this link its a lil parody of Margarito - Cotto its in spanish i have no clue what they are saying http://www.fightnews.com/?p=6303

NOTES/PREVIEW

In boxing the best fight is the Barrera vs Khan matchup in this fight we have the old lion/boxing legend Barrera returning to the ring to face once beaten young prospect Amir Khan from England Khan's hometown it should be a great fight with Barrera in the twighlight of his career and Amir Khan is trying to bounce back from his upset KO loss to Breidis Prescott of Columbia, since that loss he has 1 victory and is now being trained by the great trainer Freddie Roach! its on PPV for the suggested price of $24.95

A couple articles about this weekends fight between Marco Antonio Barrera vs Amir Khan

The Barrera We Knew and Loved

By Steve Kim (Mar 13, 2009)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This Saturday afternoon, Marco Antonio Barrera faces Amir Khan at the MEN Arena in Manchester, England. In what is a familiar storyline that has been repeated ad nauseam in the business, Barrera is the storied old pro (well past his prime) being brought in to face a young star looking to add another notch on his belt in front of an adoring crowd - the lion in winter being used as a sacrificial lamb.

This isn't to say that Barrera isn't a live dog (anyone who faces Khan and hits him on his chinny chin chin has a shot against Frank Warren's latest protégé), but in reality, there is a reason why Khan's management - which has already gotten their fighter tripped up - tabbed him.

In recent years, Barrera has become a bit of a safety first boxer who isn't always the best sportsman (but of course, legends aren't supposed to take to losing so easily), and in his most recent outings, he has looked like an old pudgy guy playing out the string on a Hall-of-Fame career. It's Barrera in name only.

But folks, you and I knew the real Barrera.

Just as we don't judge or define Willie Mays by his inability to catch routine flyballs in the 1973 Series, Johnny Unitas as a San Diego Charger or the fat version of Elvis (although some folks like the super heavyweight edition of 'the King'), Barrera should be remembered for the indelible memories he sketched on canvas during his heyday.

Barrera began his career in 1989 (and to put this into perspective, Cavaracci pants were in style, Arsenio Hall had the coolest late-night talk show, boxing was still on network airwaves and George Herbert Bush was in the White House), and after cutting his teeth early on in Mexico and then the Great Western Forum, he came into the national consciousness in November of 1995 when he systematically took apart the solid Eddie Croft in seven heats on the Riddick Bowe-Evander Holyfield III undercard at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas.

A few months later he would make 'Boxing After Dark' must-see TV by engaging in a classic slugfest with Kennedy McKinney, stopping the dangerous puncher in the 12th and final round at the Forum. In a fight that featured numerous heated exchanges and six knockdowns (with McKinney hitting the deck five times), Barrera would walk through fire and stamp himself as the heir to Julio Cesar Chavez. Like 'JC Superstar', he seemed to have an impenetrable chin and heavy hands. As the sun was setting on his career, the ascension of Barrera was just beginning.

But just three fights later, he would drop back-to-back bouts to Junior Jones, whose height, reach and poisonous right hand would trouble Barrera. The first fight saw Barrera decked in the fifth - and essentially knocked out. The rematch saw a much closer affair won by Jones by a few points.

It was at that point that Barrera became a bit of an afterthought. After those losses, his fights were only telecast locally in Los Angeles on KCAL9 or took place on the untelevised portion of major cards. It was a slow and oftentimes tedious rebuilding project. But it laid the foundation for a glorious chapter of his career.

This chapter was highlighted by his epic three-fight Mexican Civil War versus Erik 'El Terrible' Morales that wasn't so much a rivalry, but a blood feud, pitting not just two prizefighters against each other but two philosophical and ideological beliefs. It was middle class Mexico City against the barrios of El Zona Norte Tijuana. And it made for brilliant theater.

The first bout took place in February of 2000, and this savage battle was easily one of the best of this decade. It's among the two or three best prizefights I have ever witnessed ringside. Like two caged animals they fought with a fury and passion that defined just how much they despised each other. After 12 rounds, Morales would win a controversial split decision. The rematch two years later was much tamer, with Barrera boxing his way to a victory. Many ringside observers had Morales winning this time around. Then on the Thanksgiving weekend of 2004, Barrera and Morales would cap off this memorable series by putting on another brilliant back-and-forth affair that Barrera won by a single point.

After 36 rounds, one point separated the two. But much more divided them on a personal level because unlike many other combatants who put themselves through such an ordeal, their animosity only seemed to grow as time went on. A skirmish nearly broke out between the two as Barrera attempted to approach Morales after the fight with what seemed to be an olive branch of respect. Then as Barrera was announced as the winner, he would taunt Morales for his disrespect, telling him that he had take two out of three.

Barrera and Morales, they are the Mexican Ali and Frazier. Like it or not, they will forever be linked.

In between this fierce competition with his compatriot, perhaps Barrera's most endearing legacy to many boxing fans is the performance he put forth on April 7th, 2001, when he made 'Prince' Naseem Hamed a pauper in front of a highly charged audience inside the MGM Grand Garden Arena. If there was ever a boxer in recent memory that deserved a comeuppance it was the brash and cocky Hamed, who, after making an initial splash in the United States on HBO, had now become unbearable in many respects. Not only was he being protected to Roy Jones-levels by the American network, but his arrogance had grown to the size of a heavyweight.

After feasting on a collection of blown up bantamweights, old guys and no-hopers, it was believed that Barrera would be another easy night for Hamed. In fact, he was listed as a 3-1 underdog and most boxing pundits tabbed Hamed to stop Barrera early. In retrospect it all seems so silly, but then, it's always easy to call fights after they happen. But we should've seen this coming - a guy who runs out the clock against Wayne McCullough, struggles with the limited Paul Ingle and gets bounced around like a basketball versus Augie Sanchez, is not going to blow out Barrera.

From the very first left hook that seemingly lifted Hamed about three feet off the canvas and dangling like a fish out of water in the first round, to the ultimate insult - Hamed getting his head rammed into the corner as if it were professional wrestling, Barrera put forth a brilliant display of boxing and counter-punching. He had gone against the grain of the stereotypical Mexican brawler who plods along forward and throws nothing but left hooks, to utterly confound and confuse Hamed. Like Thomas Dolby, he was blinded by the (sweet) science of Barrera.

It was interesting to see the utter shock and dismay of not only the British fans who had made the trip, but their media (who honestly, weren't completely unhappy with that night's turn of events). The drubbing was so shocking that noted Hamed honk George Foreman basically threatened his on-air partner Jim Lampley in the late rounds as Lamps mocked Hamed's pre-fight rhetoric. (For his troubles, Lampley did receive a $15,000 watch from 'Big George' later on.)

As he got older, Barrera would be bested by the likes of Juan Manuel Marquez (who as it turns out, is the best of the 'Three Mexican Musketeers) and Manny Pacquiao. He fights on now in his attempt to win a major world title in his fourth weight class. There are also whispers that, quite frankly, he needs the money. From a disintegrated 'partnership' with Golden Boy Promotions (where there is no love lost between the two factions) he is now under the auspices of Don King.

At age 35, he is no longer 'the Baby Faced Assassin'. But let’s make this clear, it will be a long time before we see another Barrera. His current record stands at 65-6 with 43 knockouts. Think about it, when will we ever see a world-class combatant with that many fights to his record ever again? And when will we ever see a fighter who evolved the way he did?

This column is not a eulogy, but a tribute to one of the best of his era. Because no matter what happens tomorrow (and an upset is certainly not out of the realm of possibility), he should be remembered for what he once was.

A great fighter.

DEFLATION

It wasn't that long ago that media rates for some of the big fights like De La Hoya-Mayweather ran well above $250, which was always puzzling to me. In an era when boxing is barely covered by the mainstream media, newspaper budgets dwindling, why would you make these events so cost prohibitive?

It made no sense. Other writers, who worked for major dailies, told me it was cheaper to cover the Super Bowl - and their editors knew it. That's all that needs to be said.

But the media rates for Pacquiao-Hatton at the MGM Grand are just a fraction of what they were for most of the big fights the past several years in Vegas. I guess this economy is so bad that even they can't fleece the folks they know will come and cover this event.

Yeah, this depression (let’s call it what it is) sure has brought some semblance of reality and reason back to the picture.

THE PRICE IS RIGHT

Speaking of that, it looks like the days of the exorbitant ringside ticket for major championship fights is over, at least for now. On April 25th at the MGM Theater at Foxwoods, Carl Froch defends his WBC super middleweight title against Jermain Taylor.

Tickets are priced at $200, $100, $75, and $50.

I guess $200 is the new $500.

FINAL FLURRIES

Anyone see 'Right America: Feeling Wronged' on HBO? That thing had me laughing throughout....Speaking of HBO, I find East Bound and Down, bizarre, yet funny....Andre Berto is set to return on May 30th on HBO but there may not be the funds to make a rematch with Luis Collazo. Some of the names being mentioned are Delvin Rodriguez and Luis Abregu.....I hear that Urbano Antillon will be on the May 1st edition of TV Azteca and Mike Alvarado will appear on the Pacquiao-Hatton undercard the next evening....Word is that if they can make the fight, Victor Ortiz could be facing WBA jr. welterweight titlist Andreas Kotelnik on June 27th.....This Saturday night’s main event on TV Azteca has the rematch between Cesar Canchila and Giovanni Segura for the interim WBA mini-fly belt....Anyone else think Bernie Madoff got off easy?....Seriously, shouldn't that Octo-mom really be forced to live in a big shoe? Like an old Chuck Taylor or something?.....

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______________________________

Amir Khan wants to put it all together against Barrera

By Gabriel Montoya (Mar 12, 2009)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Heading into Amir Khan’s September 2008 bout with then unknown Breidis Prescott, there were those in the British media who were critical of the fight, citing Prescott as a soft opponent who wouldn’t properly gauge where the young British lightweight contender was in his development. Up to that point, Khan had a successful, undefeated career. A Silver Medalist in the 2004 Athens Summer Games at the tender age of 17, Khan was being groomed by promoter Frank Warren and the British boxing media as the second coming of that last British superstar, Naseem Hamed. All he needed, it was felt, was a step up opponent along the lines of a David Diaz, and he’d be ready for the big guns of the division. This Prescott fight simply wouldn’t do. However it would go on and do so on a grand stage. Khan had recently signed a multi-year, multi-million dollar contract with Sky Sports to televise his fights. Now everyone would watch as never before. Superstar status was just a tune-up and a few fights away.

Then the fight happened. And what was supposed to be a tune-up turned into a nightmare as Khan was first wobbled then knocked out in just 54 seconds of the first round by the now very well known Colombian bomber Prescott. It was not the way things were supposed to go. Suddenly all the criticism of the fight turned into criticism of Khan himself. The world boxing press was merciless as they now felt Khan was just another promoter creation, an amateur standout that would never be a great pro. The wave of Khan mania now turned into a tsunami of negativity that crashed down on the young fighter’s head in a way that might have drowned most.

But sometimes in life and in the sport of boxing, adversity brings to light things that which otherwise have been left too long in the dark. As basketball coaching great John Wooden said, “Sports do not build character, they reveal it.”

“Everyone fears of having that one loss,” says a candid Khan from the Wild Card Boxing Club in Hollywood, CA. “And now that it’s happened and I’ve experienced it, I have no fear in boxing now. I want to get to the top now. In a way all that criticism helps to give you that push to get in the gym and work hard.”

Following the loss, Khan and his team would opt for a complete change both in personnel and environment. They turned to the veteran trainer Freddie Roach, who owns the Wild Card and trains, among others, Manny Pacquiao. Roach’s style as a trainer is to enhance the basics. While not changing too much of the fighter’s natural instincts, he rather enhances his strengths and finds the weaknesses and corrects them. This was perfect for what Khan needed and coming all the way to Hollywood gave him a chance to get out from underneath the pressures and distractions of home.

“From day one, I’ve had that pressure,” Khan would tell Maxboxing.com “From the Olympics to turning professional, people wanting to see me go for a world title fight from my first professional fight. But it takes time, having only 20 professional fights. Having that defeat, I think in a way it was good. It made me realize that this is a professional sport and I have to take it more professionally. Also, it made me change a lot of things. Coming to America, getting away from a lot of the distractions in England, and working hard here. If you look at my style from when I fought Prescott, it’s totally different. I’ve corrected a lot of mistakes I used to make. You see the size of my body. I’ve changed a lot of things. And you know, I’ve taken it more seriously. But you get criticism. That’s a part of boxing. But this is about just going out and proving them wrong. And this next fight is going to be a tough fight. It’s about proving them wrong and hopefully after this fight, they’re not going to be bringing up the question about Prescott.”

In his first camp with Roach in preparation for a rebuilding fight with Oisin Fagan back in December, Khan came out to the Wild Card and sparred with Manny Pacquiao and his chief sparring partner Rashad Holloway. The experience left an impression on Khan, and immediately, the hungry, down and dirty style of the Wild Card seemed to appeal to him. There, everyone is just a fighter. With the exception of when Pacquiao is present, little fanfare is given to famous fighters working out. Many was the time cameras would be flashing on Pacquiao working in the ring and Khan would be in the background, jumping rope or working on a heavy bag. It was welcome change to the distractions of being center stage. And it was here that Khan was able to retool a bit and prepare himself for what would turn out to be a knockout performance against the pedestrian Fagan in what was ultimately a confidence builder. That out of the way, Khan, Roach, and Frank Warren set their sights on bigger game and they found it in aging but wily ex-champion Marco Antonio Barrera. The two will fight this Saturday night at M.E.N Arena in Manchester, England. It’s a huge step up for Khan but one he feels he is more than ready for.

“I think the only thing he has is experience and you know, spending so much time in the ring,” says a confident but not cocky Khan. “He has like 70 fights. And he’s a well prepared professional. And it’s about being smart and not doing the mistakes I’ve done in the last few fights. And being more patient and picking the right shots. And throwing the right shots at the right time. This fight is going to be a technical fight. It’s not going to be like you see in the Morales and Barrera fight. It’s going to be more technical. Throwing the right shots and using your brains. I’m not going to fight with the heart. I know I’ve got it in me. I’ve got the fitness to go twelve rounds. And it is going to be an explosive fight. I’ve done the hard work with Freddie and Michael. And now it’s about putting it all together and going into the fight.”

The “Michael” he refers to is none other than former heavyweight champion Michael Moorer, who has recently joined the Wild Card team and along with Roach helps prepare both Pacquaio and Khan among others. It’s an addition that Khan feels with pay dividends.

I’m on the pads with Freddie and Michael’s keeping an eye on the footwork, where my hands are and a lot of defensive stuff,” explains Khan. “Now I’m moving up to the next level where I’m going to be fighting these top level fighters, these world-class fighters and they’re going to see these little openings. Michael does that, making sure I keep my hands up and that everything’s perfect. And he’s been there, done it. World titles he’s won numerous times. It’s good to have that world-class experience behind you. It’s good to have someone like Michael giving you his views. Freddie’s going to be taking the punches on the pads and he’s not going to be seeing everything. With Michael watching Freddie and watching me and the mistakes I’m making or the good things I’m doing and putting it together, it’s a good thing to have.”

If the first camp was a feeling out process then this one is about building on the first camp and pushing Khan to an even higher level.

“It’s been the same but it’s been tougher,” says Khan. “We changed a few little things. The sparring, the running, the strength work. Different pad sessions. Shadowboxing. It’s been more mentally preparing myself. And physically, you know, it’s always tough. But this camp’s gone really well, to be honest with you. It’s been tough but I’ve been down, I’ve gone all the way and given 110%.”

With the help of strength and conditioning coach Alex Ariza, Khan has also made some physical changes as well. Once a top heavy fighter with a strong upper body but spindly legs, Khan now appears more balanced.

“I had a very big upper body before,” Khan explains, “What we did is take that muscle from my upper body and balanced it out a little bit. Now you can see I’m a little leaner up top. The shoulders are not carrying too much muscle. And, you know, I put more muscle in my legs for the strength. I feel more balanced in the ring. And you know it’s been helping me a lot.”

With all the pieces in place, all that’s left for the revamped Khan is to beat Barrera. How he will do that will go a long way to looking into his future. In the gym, he appears to thinking more. He relies now on new skills and tools such as turning an opponent into his shots after flurrying and working behind a tight defense and a doubled, sometimes tripled jab. It’s impressive in the gym. Now all that remains is putting that work into play against Barrera, which won’t be easy. Khan admits he must resist the urge to get into a war with the tough as nails Mexican warrior.

“It’s going to be a chess match if you really think about it because you’re at that level. That world-class level. You have two fighters that people know have the heart. People know we have the strength. We got the speed. And it is going to be so technical because I’m as quick as him or quicker. I’m as strong as him or stronger. But the only thing he has is experience and I’m going to be careful and take my time. Be patient. After the first round, it’ll start flowing. We’ll know what to expect. Barrera is going to rise to the occasion. For him it’s going to be a big fight. Because for both of us, it’s going to take us to the next level. It’s going to take us to being world champions. And for Barrera a new world champion at a different weight. He’s going to rise to this occasion. It’s about going in and giving 110%. I’m going to walk out of that boxing ring knowing that I’ve given all.”

Following a loss like the one he suffered against Prescott, the questions remain whether this is a too big a step too soon for Khan or whether taking on an aging champion is simply the right fight at the time. Khan feels it is the latter.

“Most definitely,” he says without hesitation. “Having that little hiccup against Prescott, I think winning this fight against Barrera will put me right back up there again. And also I think it is just the right for me to have this fight. Training with Freddie, having hard sparring. Sparring with Manny Pacquiao and having people watching and helping me like Michael. It can’t get any better. It’s about putting it all together and going into the fight with my mind clear and fresh and going in there and doing what I normally do. I’ve been boxing for years and this is the fight that is going to get Amir Khan up there.”

One other piece of motivation for Khan is the fact that Barrera is the conqueror of his favorite boxer growing up, Naseem Hamed, who will be ringside to watch his friend take on his old nemesis. Avenging that defeat for his friend and hero will make victory even sweeter.

“It’s going to mean a lot,” he says with more than a hint of excitement in his voice. “I was talking with him when I seen the fight, Barrera vs. Naseem Hamed. And watching him, I was a big fan of him at that time. And to see a fighter you look up to getting beat by a fighter. And you’re going to get in the ring and fight him and beat the guy? If I didn’t think I was going to win this fight, I wouldn’t have taken it on. After beating [Barrera], it’s going to be a good thing. Because knowing someone I look up to has been beaten by him, it’s going to mean a lot to my family and British boxing. In Britain, I think its one of the biggest fights for a long, long time. Everyone’s seen Barrera’s career since day one and then all the good years. And they’ve all seen my career from day one and it’s just going to be a big, big explosive fight, one that people really, really want to see. The tickets are sold and 22,000 people are coming to the fight. It’s a big fight and it’s not a world title fight. It’s just, you know, a young lion vs. an old lion. And I think there comes a time when the young lion goes and takes his position and this is the time.”
    Last edited by ADGZ662; 03-13-2009 at 02:29 PM.

R.I.P. Charles "Mask" Lewis.

Kids, you're not race car drivers. Quit acting like it.

this was right down the street from me, jamboree is the street that intersects at my office.

i have no sympathy for this drunk driving piece of shit. he coudl have easily taken out an innocent person.

Rest In FUCK YOU
    Quote Originally Posted by paganman7 View Post
    I had a dream that my wife cheated on me with Calmer. True story.
    Quote Originally Posted by TeamCoachellaHellYeah View Post
    Did you find pee in her butt?

seriously. and fuck that car driving down the street. it could have easily hit me if it didnt stay on the road.

R.I.P. Charles "Mask" Lewis.

Kids, you're not race car drivers. Quit acting like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by CalmerThanYou View Post
    this was right down the street from me, jamboree is the street that intersects at my office.

i have no sympathy for this drunk driving piece of shit. he coudl have easily taken out an innocent person.

Rest In FUCK YOU

what are you 2 talkin 'bout??

fucked up story fucked up...I have a few DUI's and this story and the classes I am required to go through have shown me to never drink and drive again.

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=18912

check this story out its Roy Jones Jr's interview transcript about his views on MMA,his upcoming half boxing half mma card, also him speaking about seriously thinking fighting current mma pound for pound king Anderson Silva in a boxing rules fight!
    Last edited by ADGZ662; 03-13-2009 at 02:21 PM.