Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cash-ola...

Question Cash-ola...

This is going to be my girlfriend and I's first Coachella, we're traveling from Washington state. We've already got gas calculated out and everything...was just wondering if anyone could let us know how much extra cash to bring for necessities based on previous year's prices. Any help would be appreciated. See you all there!

Default Re: Cash-ola...

Last year was my first year. In between beer, food and water I spent probably $100 a day. If you don't plan on hanging in the beer tents then you can probably cut that in half. Then add extra if you want to buy other merchendise.
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
    I have snuck in weapons before
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    A butt plug is not a weapon.

Coachella Junkie boarderwoozel3's Avatar

It depends on how much you're going to spend on merch, booze and drugs but I always buget $100/day too. I don't usually spend that much but just to be on the safe side. WA, FTW!

Are you kidding me? $100 is so much! You can do it for way cheaper

Coachella Junkie boarderwoozel3's Avatar

You can but, I prefer to play it safe.

always plan on having too much cash! previous years have seen long lines at ATM or ATM's running out of cash. Personally I avoid ATM's at festivals-you end up paying a transaction fee which can run up to $10.

Bring the cash to be safe, I usually bring about 60-80 bucks a day.

Just eat a big meal before the festival, bring in some snacks, drink mostly water vs. beer, and let the drugs take care of the rest. You'll be able to get by without blowing that wad.

Disclosure - October 12 - Reno, NV.
    Treasure Island Music Festival - October 19 - San Francisco, CA.
    Portugal, The Man - October 22 - Reno, NV.
    Cut Copy - October 31 - Reno, NV.
    Phoenix w/ Alt-J - December 5 - Reno, NV.

COACHELLA '07, '08, '09, '11, '13

100 bucks a day is what i did and came back home with plenty leftover

July 21- Soundgarden- Bill Graham Civic Auditorium
    July 30- Rage Against the Machine/Muse- LA Coliseum
    Oct 21- Portishead- Berkeley Greek
    Nov 18- Pixies- Fox Theater Bakersfield

Planning to spend $100 a day really is just the smart way to do it. That way if you make it through the week with money left over you can pat yourself on the back for your constraint.... And if you actually spend it all you can pat yourself on the back for staying within your spending limits. It's a win/win

Quote Originally Posted by clarky123 View Post
    Fuck your formal education up for music and stop being a coward.
    Quote Originally Posted by braundiggity View Post
    I dunno. Lots of the arguments seem hypocritical to me. Can't we leave it simply as: I loved the shit out of it, some hated the shit out of it, and that's just how some shows go?
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/musicislife/

Karma Police are coming for you

K, Thanks everybody

$30 a day. don't buy merch or beer. you'll be fine.

$100 a day is plenty. That's my budget and usually have money left for sweatshirt and t's for the kids. And-if you have the cash and you get chilly you can but a sweatshirt and not need to carry one all day. You can save by turning in the empty bottles for water-but we usually drink 10 a day so if you pay-there is $20 right off the bat. Food is about $10 for a little meal so if you are hungry -walking and dancing can build up an appetite-easily $30 for food. The alcohol can really eat up the money fast -but for us with the heat and time to sit in the beer tent instead of at the music-we don't spend much money there!.So $100 a day is more than enough. OH-I recommend eating something at the end of the night especially if you are staying in a hotel. You may find yourself starving after the walk to the car. Most closeby fast food places are crowded and you can be sleeping the day off before room service arrives!

I only ate once a day at the festival. We would stop and have a big meal before hand, then eat again around 630 or 7 inside the festival. That usually worked for the day. But we did bring some cliff bars and other snacks just in case we got hungry. And we did sneak in our own booze as well as visited the beer gardens for a bit of time. And I still left each night with a little money in my pocket.

I'm surprised so many people are on the $100/day bandwagon. Thats just so much money to me

$100/day is my typical spending allowance for any vacation I go on. I do the same thing in Vegas although there the drinking is free as long as you gamble. So the $100 is usually for gambling. Then if I win (which i typically do) I take what I win and splurge on a nice meal for myself and whoever I am with.

Quote Originally Posted by Cherita Chen View Post
    I'm surprised so many people are on the $100/day bandwagon. Thats just so much money to me
    That's about what I'd budget for two people. Water/frozen lemonade/maybe an adult drink or two in the evening + two small meals a day (even if I eat before I come, I end up hungry enough to eat twice from the walking and dancing).

It's a little on the high side if you don't buy any merch, but I'd rather have too much cash budgeted than not enough.

I plan about $40 a day; half on hydration, half on food. Last year I spent less than that on water because when reasonable I refilled water bottles with the warm tap water that is free. I still sometimes really craved cool purified water and/or gatorade.

Merch would be on top of that; that all depends on what you want/can afford.

Alcohol is on top of that too but I don't really even think about it unless there's not a lot else going on as the evening winds down.

So I'm much more in the $100 per day is plenty for two people crowd... though the difference may just be the merch/alcohol.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    I feel like dad-rock wouldn't get so bad of a rep if we called it pop-rock

How stupid is this thread?

Do you not have any comprehension of the current values of goods and services?

Is Washington state really that far back in the stone age that you can't mathematize your daily spending for Coachella?

Jesus...
    Morrissey; the greatest musician of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by natelan View Post

Is Washington state really that far back in the stone age that you can't mathematize your daily spending for Coachella?

Jesus...
    In defense for the OP, you would have to agree, California can be a lot more expensive than other states. That and add on maybe they've never been to Coachella and don't know about how badly to expect being screwed on "price adjustments" for stuff that, like you know, falls from the sky.

You can get by very comfortably with a $60-$70/day budget (per person).
    Last edited by murmur741; 03-10-2009 at 11:52 AM.
    Coachella Attendee '05-'10

I had never been to coachella or any other music festival until last year. So I wasn't sure what to expect myself. I kind of just figured it would be similar to a concert or sporting event. Although $8/beer was a little more then I thought it would be, well for the size of the beer. When at a sporting event you spend $12/beer but it's a very large beer.

Quote Originally Posted by Merkabaman View Post
    This is going to be my girlfriend and I's first Coachella, we're traveling from Washington state. We've already got gas calculated out and everything...was just wondering if anyone could let us know how much extra cash to bring for necessities based on previous year's prices.
    As many have stated, food & water alone for the whole day may reach $40 per person quite easily.

Add merch or just random stuff you want to throw down coin for, and maybe its $60-80 per person.

It really depends on what you plan on getting there. And I agree with the "bring more than you need" crowd, because the ATMs can be a bit of a joke and who wants to wait in line for cash when you could be watching someone amazing preform?
    14 in a row = 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012a, 2012b, 2013a, 2013b, 2014a, 2014b

$100?!?! jesus.

1) hit up a grocery store before you set up camp. buy a flat of water bottles, some fruit, 100-cal snack packs, and ice. and maybe a pre-made sandwich for the evening if you're so inclined$25-$30. go to the ATM and get your money there.
    2) assuming you're planning on getting to the campsite on thursday afternoon (as i do), get a nice lunch in you before you even enter. Real Food. you're gonna want it when you're lugging all your shit in and setting up camp. $15
    3) Thursday Evening: nibble on your groceries.
    4) Festival Days: HYDRATE in the morning. bring in bottles of water (last year security let in like 2 factory-sealed bottles per person or something) and a few snack packs. don't drink beer during the day. 1, its expensive and 2, it'll only dehydrate you.
    Meals: For 1 full meal and one snack... $15
    Drinks: 4 bottles of water and 2 beers... $25
    get druuunk back at the campgrounds. or don't. i didn't actually drink during the festival last year... i didn't want to waste the money in the gardens. you save a lot of money that way. and i didn't buy merch. i spent like $150 the whole weekend.

^ Yup
    Last edited by heyeric; 03-10-2009 at 12:32 PM.

Coachella Junkie WhyTheLongFace's Avatar

umm it says no outside food or bev how are you guys getting small snack packs in? You can message me if you don't want the secret out
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    It almost makes you think you might actually want to know what you are talking about before you tell people things.

i still can't believe how many people are saying $100 a day is logical. we're not all little white trustfund kids. $30-$35 a day is perfectly fine. you can get plenty of water and a couple meals. and the meals will probably be in bigger portions than what you would normally eat at home. hell, i've never seen a veggie corndog so HUGE.

as for typical vacation spending, i usually spend $10-20 a day when i'm on the road, MAX. sometimes down to just like $6-$8 a day. unless i need to contribute to a gas fund. but that's not part of what you would need at coachella.

Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    umm it says no outside food or bev how are you guys getting small snack packs in? You can message me if you don't want the secret out
    Yeah I think people are remembering last year's rules (or lack thereof) about bringing in drinks/snacks.

If you're camping I think you can bring whatever snacks and drinks into the campsite, but it looks like they are going to deny people trying to bring it into the actual festival.
    Last edited by Fourthisto; 03-10-2009 at 12:52 PM.
    14 in a row = 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012a, 2012b, 2013a, 2013b, 2014a, 2014b

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamTaft View Post
    i still can't believe how many people are saying $100 a day is logical. we're not all little white trustfund kids. $30-$35 a day is perfectly fine. you can get plenty of water and a couple meals.
    I hear you, but when its a scorcher like it was five years ago, I spent $25-30 just for water alone, per day, for one person. Of course, the 10 empties for 1 full bottle recycling program helps with that. They are doing that again this year, right?

Quote Originally Posted by natelan View Post

Jesus...
    it's their first time, asshat.

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamTaft View Post
    as for typical vacation spending, i usually spend $10-20 a day when i'm on the road, MAX. sometimes down to just like $6-$8 a day. unless i need to contribute to a gas fund. but that's not part of what you would need at coachella.
    where do you sleep on vacation?