Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The offical South Africa 2010 World Cup meet up!

Exclamation The offical South Africa 2010 World Cup meet up!

is anyone thinking about the World Cup next year?

I was planning on finally going to Israel on Birthright, but as I have a few years to do that, I'm thinking of turning my attention to Africa. Never been, of course have always wanted to. Never been to a world cup, nor care that much about soccer (though watching the championships in 07 at 3 in the morning in Singapore with a bunch of new friends in a packed bar was a blast) but have always wanted to go to the world cup festivities.

It will be far more crowded and expensive than usual, but I would imagine it would be well worth it to share in Africa's huge moment.

There are so many places I want to visit in Africa it makes my head spin. i"ll probably be able to get 3-4 weeks tops off from work and would love to travel further to the north and east, but I don't want half my trip to be traveling. Maybe head up the coast into Malawi and Kenya? Uganda for gorilla trekking? Madagascar or the Comoros islands? Also very interested in volunteering while over there.

Anyone been and have any advice or interested in heading there next summer?

Last edited by whynotsmile99; 03-03-2009 at 07:01 PM.
    Then I will hold you down and spit her percolations all over you until you're as greasy as the day she regrets pushing your big fat ass out her big fat cunt.

Default Re: The offical South Africa 2010 World Cup meet up!

IF it still goes down in SA. Possible other locations are Brazil and Mexico which Im fine with. I woudl go to Mexico for the world cup. And the soccer thread is where to find world cup talk.

Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    IF it still goes down in SA. Possible other locations are Brazil and Mexico which Im fine with. I woudl go to Mexico for the world cup. And the soccer thread is where to find world cup talk.
    why the fuck would it be in Mexico, where these fucking crazy ass drug cartels are like running the country.

I know they are having some issues, but haven't heard them consider moving it to Brazil or Mexico. I can't believe that would happen though. Everything is moving forward. That would be such a huge loss for South Africa. And having it in Mexico is a joke. I think they got some other issues to worry about before they throw millions on staging a world cup.
    Then I will hold you down and spit her percolations all over you until you're as greasy as the day she regrets pushing your big fat ass out her big fat cunt.

Coachella Junkie frozen pilgrim's Avatar

uh, suprefan, you're officially out of the water here.
    there is no "if".
    you have no concept of how far in advance the world cup of soccer is worked out.

it'd be like walking up to the polo field on april 15th, looking at construction, and wondering if coachella's gonna happen.

on thread topic:

I have family there, and my uncle will be part of the national broadcasting team, so I'll be there. mostly for the johannesburg and cape town stuff. not so much the events in durban.

I'd love to host select boardies at my grandparents' place on the coast if anyone's actually going to make the trip.

that's awesome pilgrim. It's certainly been on my mind the last few weeks and I'm going to start putting things together. I'm sure i'll be asking you questions in the next few weeks.

one thing right now though: how expensive is travel in South Africa? food prices, lodging, getting around, etc. I've heard different things.

Have you been anywhere outside of South Africa? Any place in particular you would recommend?

Superfag you're a fucking douchebag

God i'd love to go. But thats easily a 10 grand trip.

Quote Originally Posted by whynotsmile99 View Post
    that's awesome pilgrim. It's certainly been on my mind the last few weeks and I'm going to start putting things together. I'm sure i'll be asking you questions in the next few weeks.

one thing right now though: how expensive is travel in South Africa? food prices, lodging, getting around, etc. I've heard different things.

Have you been anywhere outside of South Africa? Any place in particular you would recommend?
    I up until recently also had family/land in zimbabwe, but needless to say that's not really an option.

on a first visit, there's more to do in SA than you ever could in a lifetime...
    there's six ecozones, two oceans, six national languages and the history of humanity itself.

the eastern cape province is where my grandparents live, and it's one of the most striking places on earth. imagine standing on the beach of the indian ocean in the blazing african sun, and looking back at the coastline and through a sheer canyon, seeing snow capped mountains.

addo national park has one of the largest elephant populations of anywhere on earth, and 360 degree panoramas of awe-inspiring deep greens and reds of rolling valleys and rock cliffs

cape town is a unique microcosmos and a standing testament to mankind's continuing struggle and will to overcome inequality- jam-packed, diverse, and reminiscent of los angeles- poorer areas and richer areas and unique little bubbles where the two collide. mirrored in nature by the jagged shorn rocks of the pointed coast in view from the national bi-oceanic aquarium- the exact spot where the indian and atlantic oceans collide

fuck. I could go on forever. I've spent a total of about six months there and I crave more. I can't wait for 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by BKsaysAction! View Post
    God i'd love to go. But thats easily a 10 grand trip.
    fuuuuuuuuck think so? I managed under $5,000 including airfare + 2 week guided trip in south east Asia for 2 months. guess it all depends really
    Last edited by whynotsmile99; 03-03-2009 at 08:01 PM.

nah, it's not ten grand for one person. not even close. maybe if you want to stay in the four seasons for a month. find a nice family to stay with. use that couchsurfing site. the exchange rate is about 5-6 rand (SA bucks) to the US dollar. you can get a round trip plane ticket for 2-3 grand depending on the season.

but how much are game tickets? Lets say if i wanted to see every England and Japan game, where do you find out about ticket prices?
    Last edited by BKsaysAction!; 03-03-2009 at 08:37 PM.

pilgrim, i may have to hit you up on that offer haha.

and suprefan, you're a fucking idiot. the only way the world cup is going to be relocated is if there's a natural disaster or total catastrophe. the back up locations, if such an event were to occur, include japan, spain, and the good ol USofA. its highly unlikely they'd move it to brazil considering they're HOSTING IT in 2014! don't talk about shit you don't even know

Quote Originally Posted by BKsaysAction! View Post
    but how much are game tickets? Lets say if i wanted to see every England and Japan game, where do you find out about ticket prices?
    my buddies were there in germany and said they spent about $250usd per ticket. i'm pretty sure that was during the round robin stages. i would assume prices in germany would be a bit more expensive than in south africa, considering the fear many people have of going there

yeah, game tickets are another expense- but they're nothing like olympic ticket prices. hitting up a couple matches will set you back about the same as going to a couple of playoff MLB games

I am trying to swing this as a graduation present. We will see if that works out.

And Chris, if they were moving it anywhere it would be to the US or Germany. Both could host a tournament of this caliber at the last minute. Brazil and Mexico could not.

but again, they are most certainly not moving it.

Right.

Quote Originally Posted by bballarl View Post
    I am trying to swing this as a graduation present. We will see if that works out.

And Chris, if they were moving it anywhere it would be to the US or Germany. Both could host a tournament of this caliber at the last minute. Brazil and Mexico could not.
    Mexico has hosted a World Cup last minute before so it's not like they cant do it again.

Not with world class venues. Maybe they were in 1986.

i forgot to add mexico to that list of possible relocations. These are actually from fifa. every world cup has a list of backup locations in case something were to go wrong.

germany is not one of those backups, cause, well, they hosted the last one! c'mon people!

IT'S
    NOT
    MOVING

this is the fucking dumbest discussion ever. fuck.

The United States would probably be the first choice for relocation. Plenty of excellent stadiums, experience hosting massive events, ability to do so on short notice.

Germany has both the venues and the experience of recently hosting a World Cup. If it had to be relocated, would they be a first choice? Probably not. But they could most certainly get it done. All the pieces are there.

But as we've said before: not moving.

again, yes, its not moving. but for argument's sake, the list was put out 2 years ago for the possible back ups. i hate when people speculate on something that doesn't need speculation. here's the link if you don't believe me

http://soccernet-akamai.espn.go.com/...426366&cc=5901

heh, that's cool. I appreciate being a stickler for details. I'm just ticket at supre for being such.. well... a douche

I am looking forward to the Confederations Cup this summer. It will be cool to see some of the venues and watch the US struggle in another incredibly difficult group.

I really love soccer. but what's even more colonially nerdy than that is I genuinely enjoy cricket. which is why that shit that happened today in pakistan really got me the wrong way.

Coachella Junkie WhyTheLongFace's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by frozen pilgrim View Post
    IT'S
    NOT
    MOVING

this is the fucking dumbest discussion ever. fuck.
    It's so funny when no one listens to logic tehee
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    Wake me up when Steve Angello wants me to make some fucking noise

Quote Originally Posted by frozen pilgrim View Post
    I really love soccer. but what's even more colonially nerdy than that is I genuinely enjoy cricket. which is why that shit that happened today in pakistan really got me the wrong way.

the area I live in has a ton of Indian people, recently I've started playing a little cricket with some neighbors..it's pretty awesome...I still don't quite understand all of it, but I'm learning
    '99-'11...

it's great. it's like a cross between baseball and chess