Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Hiking!!

Default Re: Hiking!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pea View Post
    And my friend couldn't resist the opportunity to do snow angels on a 90 degree day...

This looks like it could have been potentially painful. Ice burn is the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by marooko View Post
    Central Valley/Foothill/NorCal trails?
    Don't you live in Fresno? You're like perfectly equidistant to three National Parks - Yosemite, Sequioa/Kings Canyon, Pinnacles. Pick a park, any park, and go for it. My husband's BFF lived in Fresno for two years; he and his wife went hiking in Yosemite nearly every weekend to escape the valley.
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    See that guy in the background talking loudly about crab cakes? That's you.

Good point. How far is the drive from Fresno to Yosemite?

2 hours.

Closer to home, there are four preserves in the Sierra Foothill Conservancy

Quote Originally Posted by HowToDisappear View Post
    Diamox acidifies your blood and makes you breath faster, but I'm going to agree that in your case, it was undoubtedly the whole experience that left you breathless and exhilarated. Sounds so amazing.
    Thanks, HTD...kind of a once in a lifetime experience. Although if the opportunity presents itself again....

I am also a Sierra junkie and have trips planned/permits this summer, for the Yosemite High Camps loop. We camp and do the "meals only" plan-

Girls' trip to Bearpaw, Sequoia for my birthday. Some Meysan Lake group backpack in September,

and Phantom Ranch, Grand Canyon, for Christmas!

I want to do everything.
    For all intensive porpoises presale finally sold out

Hairygoomba, you're a woman after my own heart.

I want to do everything, too (if only pesky work and finances weren't in the way). My husband and I figure that when we retire, we'll end up as that campground host couple --- free campsite and plenty of time to hike on our days off... yes!!!

Be glad you'll be at Phantom Ranch in the winter. We went down by mule 1st week of July once; it was 130. Please post pics of all your adventures; I'd love to see them!
    Last edited by HowToDisappear; 07-01-2013 at 09:45 AM.

Hairygoomba, you're a woman after my own heart.

I want to do everything, too (if only pesky work and finances weren't in the way). My husband and I figure that when we retire, we'll end up as that campground host couple --- free campsite and plenty of time to hike on our days off... yes!!!

Be glad you'll be at Phantom Ranch in the winter. We went down by mule 1st week of July once; it was 130. Please post pics of all your adventures; I'd love to see them!
    That sounds like a good retirement plan! We are still "working" as self employed, so we have some flexibility. The biggest constraint for us is
    2 elderly pitbulls who need lots of support and care. I figure that won't go on too much longer.

I did a rim-to -rim in June (that sounds lurid! ) it was quite brutal, and since have gone to P.R. many times in the winter, which I recommend.
    Christmas is really grand!

I am no spring chicken, so I have to be kind of vigilant and schedule things and make the time NOW.

It's just the best!

Went on a pretty adventurous hike up Lake Blanche near Salt Lake City, just a 10 minute drive out of the city yesterday. It was super hot hiking up, but totally worth the party we had up at the top with cool mountain water, a proper picnic and way too much to drink. I'm sore all over.

My lake party people!

I hung out in this water for a good long while. The fish swam right up to me.

Looks like it was worth the aching muscles.

2 hours.

Closer to home, there are four preserves in the Sierra Foothill Conservancy
    OMG, I would be in Yosemite every fucking weekend.

Ladies, you are awesome!

That Lake Blanche adventure looks wonderful.

Hey, so can any of you recommend any good hikes around this area down here (near Arcadia, Fullerton, etc)? I did the Echo Mountain hike with my sister, but I need to find a few more "warm up" hikes for her, before we tackle Mt. Baldy in August. So obviously something that gains elevation and is in some mountains is preferred, and something that can be done within the same day. My plan is to do a couple of these hikes with her this month and beginning of August, and then do Mt. Baldy near end of August, before heading to Mammoth area in September. I'm open to any ideas, as I really don't know the best spots down here.

So ya know, Baldy's elevation gain isn't going to help a ton for Mammoth. The town is at nearly 8000 and most hikes out of there will start around 9000-9500. If your sister isn't great with elevation (or if you aren't) then you should really look into the pills that help with that.

That said, the trail that takes off from the Fern Dell park at Griffith Park and heads up to the observatory is a good one for fairly intense trail climb. If you do it without stops you'll get a good, strenuous hike in that deals out some fairly quick ascent and is also an easy to navigate path.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    So ya know, Baldy's elevation gain isn't going to help a ton for Mammoth. The town is at nearly 8000 and most hikes out of there will start around 9000-9500. If your sister isn't great with elevation (or if you aren't) then you should really look into the pills that help with that.

That said, the trail that takes off from the Fern Dell park at Griffith Park and heads up to the observatory is a good one for fairly intense trail climb. If you do it without stops you'll get a good, strenuous hike in that deals out some fairly quick ascent and is also an easy to navigate path.
    I understand that, and we're both fine with elevation (or at least I know I am)....it's just I told her that I wasn't gonna let her hike with us unless she started getting some training hikes in. She's been wanting to do Baldy, but I know her and she can get exhausted half way up and want to turn back....so I told her I wasn't committing to any major day climb/hike up Baldy or anything unless she got some smaller/medium hikes in with me this month and the next.

If you want an awesome easy one, the Will Rogers loop is 6 miles and will be a good, easy way to get her introduced to a longer hike that is not too brutal. I also really like Solstice Canyon in Malibu for an easyish, really pretty hike that gets you prepped for some more strenuous work. After Solstice, you could also do Escondido Canyon Waterfalls out of Malibu, which has some fairly strenuous up and down, so you get your ankles/calves/quads prepped for ups and downs.

Here's a link to some decent trails.

Edit: And, I grew up at nearly 6,000, but hiking above 10,000 for an extended period makes me nauseous. I'd bring the pills, just in case. It's never an easy thing.
    Last edited by bmack86; 07-05-2013 at 09:57 PM.

I'm so mining this thread for hiking suggestions. Good job folks.
    2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012: II, 2013: I, 2014: I

Menik, try to hit Sandstone Peak in the Santa Monica Mountains if you get the chance...a roughly 5-6 mile trek if you choose to take the Mishe Mokwa trail either on your way up to, or down from, Sandstone Peak.

After research galore, decided on the Osprey Talon 44 for my first pack in a long time. Lightweight and durable designed for 2-3 day overnight hikes with room for the basics (tent, bag, food). And it's good looking.

The pilgrimage is not perfected save by copulation with the camel.

Yesterday my dad and I took my mom on a walk/hike just outside of Mammoth near Lake Mary. It's really nice up there right now.

Looks like a nice bag. I haven't done an overnighter in so long.

Yesterday my dad and I took my mom on a walk/hike just outside of Mammoth near Lake Mary. It's really nice up there right now.
    That's great. I'll bet it was beautiful. Will you still be in Bishop in a month?

Hopefully not, but probably.

Well, let's hope you're not, but if so . . . I'll be haunting you.

Doing the SoCal Six-Pack of Peaks in succession every Sat this summer (with a break for FYF Aug 24). Yesterday was #1 - Mt. Wilson. 15 mile loop (with Sturtevant Falls spur trail and Upper Winter Creek Trail). 4200' elevation gain.

Really scenic trail with almost complete cover through mixed forest that is fairly steep the last mile or two to the top. Very hot, humid and hazy yesterday, or the views of the LA basin from the top would be spectacular (it rained by the time we got back to the car). Summit houses a complex of astronomical observatories and tv/radio antennas. Since there is water and shade, there are LOTS of flies, gnats and mosquitoes. Bring bug spray (I forgot, unfortunately, and I'm allergic to mosquito bites; did remember to take Zyrtec to minimize the welts). Also, LOTS of poison oak (all the leaf litter on the trail was fallen poison oak leaves!). Trailhead is only like 5-10 mins up the hill from Arcadia. Amazing to have these beautiful, rugged mountains rising directly up from the city like that.
    Last edited by HowToDisappear; 07-21-2013 at 05:55 PM.

#2 Cucamonga Peak via Icehouse Canyon. 12 mile out-and-back. 4300' elevation gain.

Gorgeous trail. Insane views of the IE from the top. There's even an abandoned mine. The upper half of the trail is very hot, dry, and exposed. Get to the trailhead as early as possible and bring plenty of water (3 liters MINIMUM; I had 4 and 1litro had 6 and we traveled up in the AM when there was still some cloud cover). The only water available is in the creek at the bottom (which you must filter) or at a small spring about 1/3 of the way up which percolates out of the ground and which you can drink without treatment. At no point is the trail to the peak marked (there should be signs, but they're all gone - 1litro is standing on the summit post sign above). When you get to the saddle, take the unmarked trail in the middle through the manzanita bushes (not the trail to the Three T's or the trail to Ontario Peak); this will then fork into two trails, take the unmarked trail that ascends to the right, not the trail to Middle Fork. When you get near the top, look for a post leaning against a tree - sign is missing of course - that has CMP and an arrow scratched in it; it's just a short zig-zag climb to the top from there.

My brother hiked Whitney today. Yippee.

YES!

Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    My brother hiked Whitney today. Yippee.
    Did he try coming back today? Because there was a major road closure on 395 and people were sitting for hours. Hope he wasn't in that.

Car broke down on the 15 on the way to Mt Baldy, so it looks like the six-pack of peaks will now be a five-pack. We'll do Baldy next weekend, and do San Jacinto the week after, throwing San Bernadino Peak off the list. Not enough time to do all six before Whitney now (unless we forego FYF, and I'm not doing that).

Sold the car to the tow yard --- on my way to pick up a whopping 325 bucks from them now.

Did he try coming back today? Because there was a major road closure on 395 and people were sitting for hours. Hope he wasn't in that.
    I didn't hear about it, so I assume he wasn't.