Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: USA meets the UK

I'm on a tightrope baby, nine miles high.

Thumbs up USA meets the UK

I'm happy to see many British bands on the line up - but it would be foolish to come over from the UK and miss the best of the USA.

Who do you recommend and why?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - for 2011

Let me know which US bands I should be checking out.

In the last 2 years this thread has introduced me to such gems as Fleet Foxes, Electric Touch, TV on the Radio, Street Sweeper Social Club, Grizzly Bear & Spoon.

From the UK I suggest you guys check out Plan B, Klaxons, Hurts and Foals
    Last edited by Dede' Arneaux; 01-25-2011 at 02:08 PM. Reason: Bump for 2011
    Dede' Arneaux
    Come a long long, come a long long way

Default Re: USA meets the UK

Churros!

July 21- Soundgarden- Bill Graham Civic Auditorium
    July 30- Rage Against the Machine/Muse- LA Coliseum
    Oct 21- Portishead- Berkeley Greek
    Nov 18- Pixies- Fox Theater Bakersfield

Coachella Junkie boarderwoozel3's Avatar

^ Fantastic!

And I don't really understand the question. Are you asking for US band recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by Cdubby View Post
    hahahaha!

That's probably what she's asking

check out

Gang Gang Dance - From what I've heard, it sounds like the band combines influences from dance music, tribal music, noise, and experimental rock. It looks like their shows rely somewhat on improvisation, and improvised music can be extremely awesome, if done right. It also sounds really danceable too. If you like experimental music and are in any way familiar with the term "no wave" then you'll probably dig this band

Patton & Rahzel - the fact that it's a Mike Patton project is reason enough to check this out. If you haven't heard of either Patton or Rahzel, Mike Patton is the lead man of hundreds of different bands, projects collaborations etc. and Rahzel is a highly respected beat boxer. Their live show is a mixture of rehearsed songs and improvisation and the only instruments featured are both singers' voices and Mike Patton's accompanying electronics. It's pretty experimental but if you want to watch two masters of vocal performance at the top of the game doing something really boundary pushing, then don't miss this

Ghenghis Tron - If you like heavy music (which you should) you really need to hear these guys. A few people have been simply writing them off as "metalcore" or "screamo" or some such nonsense, but I'm under the impression that the people that say this haven't listened to a single Genghis Tron song all the way through and that these people hate metal anyway, so, in other words, they don't know what the fuck they're talking about. If you dig the grindcore (Pig Destroyer, Brutal Truth), math rock (Dillinger Escape Plan) and noise rock (The Locust, Melt Banana) you're gonna like these guys. It's heavy-ass metal combined with electronic music, so what you get are dynamic, well written songs that feature as many break beats and synth leads as they do blast beats and power chords.

Public Enemy - I should really need to explain this one, though I haven't heard too many good things about their recent live shows so you may or may not want to skip this one

Henry Rollins - Henry Rollins was the lead singer for the legendary hardcore punk band Black Flag. After the band broke up Rollins shifted his focus from music to spoken word, which is usually comprised of amusing stories and criticisms of the American government. His spoken word is very entertaining and is done in a format similar to stand up comedy. This performance will probably be worth checking out, but I'm not sure what he could say about the American government that hasn't already been said at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by boarderwoozel3 View Post
    ^ Fantastic!

And I don't really understand the question. Are you asking for US band recommendations?
    Yes please!
    Dede' Arneaux

Quote Originally Posted by NightGoat View Post

check out

Gang Gang Dance - From what I've heard, it sounds like the band combines influences from dance music, tribal music, noise, and experimental rock. It looks like their shows rely somewhat on improvisation, and improvised music can be extremely awesome, if done right. It also sounds really danceable too. If you like experimental music and are in any way familiar with the term "no wave" then you'll probably dig this band

Patton & Rahzel - the fact that it's a Mike Patton project is reason enough to check this out. If you haven't heard of either Patton or Rahzel, Mike Patton is the lead man of hundreds of different bands, projects collaborations etc. and Rahzel is a highly respected beat boxer. Their live show is a mixture of rehearsed songs and improvisation and the only instruments featured are both singers' voices and Mike Patton's accompanying electronics. It's pretty experimental but if you want to watch two masters of vocal performance at the top of the game doing something really boundary pushing, then don't miss this

Ghenghis Tron - If you like heavy music (which you should) you really need to hear these guys. A few people have been simply writing them off as "metalcore" or "screamo" or some such nonsense, but I'm under the impression that the people that say this haven't listened to a single Genghis Tron song all the way through and that these people hate metal anyway, so, in other words, they don't know what the fuck they're talking about. If you dig the grindcore (Pig Destroyer, Brutal Truth), math rock (Dillinger Escape Plan) and noise rock (The Locust, Melt Banana) you're gonna like these guys. It's heavy-ass metal combined with electronic music, so what you get are dynamic, well written songs that feature as many break beats and synth leads as they do blast beats and power chords.

Public Enemy - I should really need to explain this one, though I haven't heard too many good things about their recent live shows so you may or may not want to skip this one

Henry Rollins - Henry Rollins was the lead singer for the legendary hardcore punk band Black Flag. After the band broke up Rollins shifted his focus from music to spoken word, which is usually comprised of amusing stories and criticisms of the American government. His spoken word is very entertaining and is done in a format similar to stand up comedy. This performance will probably be worth checking out, but I'm not sure what he could say about the American government that hasn't already been said at this point.
    I'm well aware of Public Enemy and Rollins (missed him on the line up -oops)

Cheers for the other recommendations
    Dede' Arneaux

Quote Originally Posted by NightGoat View Post
    How did you know Dede was a she, nightgoat?
    12/04 - Angel Olson - El Rey (?)
    12/06 - Dr. John - Royce Hall (?)
    12/14 - Cat Stevens - Nokia
    12/20 - Stevie Wonder - Forum (?)
    1/10 - Flesh Eaters - Echoplex (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    How did you know Dede was a she, nightgoat?
    you know what, have absolutely no idea. I didn't think about that at all. was I right? If I'm right, do I win some kind of prize?

Quote Originally Posted by Dede' Arneaux View Post
    I'm well aware of Public Enemy and Rollins (missed him on the line up -oops)

Cheers for the other recommendations
    "She" didn't correct you on her following post, so you must have been right!
    12/04 - Angel Olson - El Rey (?)
    12/06 - Dr. John - Royce Hall (?)
    12/14 - Cat Stevens - Nokia
    12/20 - Stevie Wonder - Forum (?)
    1/10 - Flesh Eaters - Echoplex (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

I'm a bloke - you lot do do French do you?

Keep your recommendations coming please...
    Last edited by Dede' Arneaux; 03-06-2009 at 02:01 PM.
    Dede' Arneaux

"...its a tightrope,Spud-a fucking tightrope."

black keys, tv on radio, atmosphere, mstrkrft(Canadian but close enough), thievery corp
    Stevie Wonder, Jurassic 5!!, Magnetic Man, Pogo, Tycho, Tears for Fears 2013

Coach 06,07,08,09,10,11,12,13(1)
    Sasquatch 12
    Lolla 11(Chile)
    VOODOO 11
    Street Scene 07,08,09
    Rock the Bells 07

CAN'T STOP LAUGHING.

My apologies. And I'm mentally retarded when it comes to French. I'm sure I left a trail of confusion when I was in Paris last year.

You should absolutely see The Hold Steady, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, and TV On The Radio; those are my top three acts of the festival.

Also: Conor Oberst, Fleet Foxes, Band of Horses, M. Ward, Drive By Truckers/Booker T and the DBTs, Lupe Fiasco, and Gaslight Anthem, off the top of my head. I'm quite excited for all of these.

Some Yank bands not to be missed:

The Yeah Yeah Yeahs- great energy live and I am in love with Karen O! So just stay away from her. No really, no one even look at her... you know what? Just forget about going- she's all mine and I ain't sharing!

A Place to Bury Stangers- out of Brooklyn, New York. You like JAMC? You like Joy Division/New Order? Then you need to see them.

Mastodon- Destructive prog metal with so many twists you won't know up from down by the time their set is done.

Antony and the Johnsons- Antony is eclectic and just a little off the beaten path. His voice is haunting and his arrangements for his music unique.

Quote Originally Posted by sonnyboy11 View Post
    Some Yank bands not to be missed:

The Yeah Yeah Yeahs- great energy live and I am in love with Karen O! So just stay away from her. No really, no one even look at her... you know what? Just forget about going- she's all mine and I ain't sharing!

A Place to Bury Stangers- out of Brooklyn, New York. You like JAMC? You like Joy Division/New Order? Then you need to see them.

Mastodon- Destructive prog metal with so many twists you won't know up from down by the time their set is done.

Antony and the Johnsons- Antony is eclectic and just a little off the beaten path. His voice is haunting and his arrangements for his music unique.

Antony's British, fyi.

Quote Originally Posted by braundiggity View Post
    Antony's British, fyi.
    Ah, it states his band as being out of New York though.

Antony and the Johnsons is a Mercury Prize-winning[1] music act from New York City.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antony_and_the_johnsons

Quote Originally Posted by sonnyboy11 View Post
    Ah, it states his band as being out of New York though.

Antony and the Johnsons is a Mercury Prize-winning[1] music act from New York City.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antony_and_the_johnsons
    Except you have to be British to win the Mercury Prize.

Hegarty was born in England, IIRC, so although the band is New York based, they still qualify.
    Last edited by MissingPerson; 03-09-2009 at 05:59 PM.

more important than any band recommendations:

while you are in southern CA, you need to go to a mexican food place (a small, crappy one. NOT a sit-down place with glass plates and stuff. that ain't legit) and order a burrito with beans, rice, cheese, guacamole, and pico. and get an horchata to drink.

This is the funniest thing I've seen today.

Poor bastard.
    Quote Originally Posted by feather View Post
    Private board meeting in the executive PAWffice this weekend. I'll have your coffee how you like it, beer instead of coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by blackchango View Post
    Churros!
    definatly the churros
    Yuko Imada

In response to Best foods at Coachella

Quote Originally Posted by migration View Post
    definatly the churros. I like them more than d-land churros. I buy two and eat them at the same time stacked. this year I am going to count how many I purchase.
    Interesting...

Nice Naked City avatar, nothingisnothing

Yeah these guys assumed I was a girl at first because my name is "french".

Quote Originally Posted by obzen View Post
    "...its a tightrope,Spud-a fucking tightrope."
    Try too hard and you might get the fucking job!
    Dede' Arneaux

thats some funny shit

Try too hard and you might get the fucking job!
    "It's shite being Scottish!!"