Page 1 of 20 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Pitchfork Festival 2009

Default Pitchfork Festival 2009

Drum roll: The fourth annual Pitchfork Music Festival will take place in Chicago July 17-19. So cancel that "screw the recession" European vacation ASAP-- it's not worth it. The Pitchfork Music Festival, on the other hand, is definitely worth it. Not like we're biased or anything. The three-day fest will once again take place at Chicago's lovely Union Park, so get ready to gawk at the coolest sunglasses you've ever seen while soaking in the finest music known to man...on earth...and in space. It will be mega.

Tickets go on sale Friday, March 13.
    I know what you're thinking: "So which incredibly awesome bands are going to be there this year?" Slow down. We can't give everything away at once. Stay tuned to this space for a regular stream of festival updates in the coming weeks. While you're waiting, go ahead and check out Deerhunter's Bradford Cox performing with Spoon from last year's show or Girl Talk doing that thing he does with special guests Grizzly Bear at the '07 fest over at Pitchfork.tv.
    But feel free to circle and/or highlight July 17, 18, and 19 on your cat-a-day calendar this very second.
    Upcoming Shows:

Sasquatch Festival

Default Re: Pitchfork Festival 2009

This topic will become far more relevant to my interest when those hipster fucks release the lineup.

Somehow I think they will manage to find a way to get Animal Collective to headline both nights, Jack Johnston style.
    Upcoming Shows:
    * Dillon Francis + Anamanaguchi -- December 28th

Going to Weekend 1 of Coachella 2014

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Cara. Don't judge a man for not being able to formulate a coherent thought. On an internet forum of all places.

the black lips are confirmed to play
    i wonder if they could get pavement to play "Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain" ...
    last.fm/user/killakat

Oh shit, that's the weekend before Fuji Rock.

Whatever, I doubt they get Jarvis Cocker two years in a row.
    Last edited by Boourns; 02-28-2009 at 12:24 AM.
    9/10 Swans @ Roxy, 9/17 Karen O at Masonic Lodge, 9/19 Tokimonsta @ El Rey, 9/20 Chvrches @ Tower Theatre, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/3-4 Desert Stars, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/22-25 CMJ, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

hey bouurns how pissed would you be if p4k got pulp to reunite for the fest?
    seeing as you're going to fuji rock
    last.fm/user/killakat

I've been saying this for awhile now and I will continue saying it

I have this gut feeling Portishead is playing this year

I'd go to pitchfork and then go to fuji next year.

And if Portishead plays, same deal. Unless they announce a full tour.
    9/10 Swans @ Roxy, 9/17 Karen O at Masonic Lodge, 9/19 Tokimonsta @ El Rey, 9/20 Chvrches @ Tower Theatre, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/3-4 Desert Stars, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/22-25 CMJ, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

Music and Nothing are confirmed.

Barring financial problems, I'll be there. This is such a great weekend. The after parties are a blast, the festival is expertly run, the food is fantastic and they have microbrews for the beers. I have absolutely no complaints about this the two years I've been.

Boredoms headlining one night. It's a guess, but I could see them doing that.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Barring financial problems, I'll be there. This is such a great weekend. The after parties are a blast, the festival is expertly run, the food is fantastic and they have microbrews for the beers. I have absolutely no complaints about this the two years I've been.

Boredoms headlining one night. It's a guess, but I could see them doing that.
    How much is beer?

And also, I've heard people complain that there aren't (or weren't, the trend is changing) any current new acts that are headliner material. I love that Spoon and Animal Collective were their two regular headliners last year. And it sold out.

Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post
    How much is beer?
    I want to say 3 bucks per, but it might have been 4. Very affordable. And, once people are drunk, they give away extra beer tickets. It's happened to me both years.

Nice. Argh, damnit. Why couldn't JC and AC play this year instead?

BENEFITS OF GOING:

1. Going.
    2. Going to Chicago---a place I've never been.
    3. I will be 21 long before then.
    4. Another AC show to add to my AC-full year, perhaps?
    5. Swindling my way onto the P4K staff.
    6. PRESS PASS.
    7. Party.

BENEFITS OF NOT GOING:

1. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Hm. I'll wait for the lineup.

Gummi bear sultan miscorrections's Avatar

Are you angling for Most Obnoxious Person Alive right now? Because you're way out front and running.
    Has anyone gone on a date with a sandwich recently? What base did you get to? Ham?

1. I don't think you ever sense my style of typing. It's mostly fueled by sarcastic over-enthusiasm.

2. Fuck you. I've had a horrible, miserable week and I finally came home tonight happy, so please let me ride out this wave of joy before I wake up tomorrow back inside my pool of complete and utter depression.

Gummi bear sultan miscorrections's Avatar

1. Waaaaah.

2. Waaaaaah waaaaaah waaaaaaaaah my life is terrible woe is me waaaaaaaaah.
    Has anyone gone on a date with a sandwich recently? What base did you get to? Ham?

Any guesses as to what acts will be playing? I have no idea. Not many tours that will be going on at the time have been announced yet.

Quote Originally Posted by kitt kat View Post
    1. I don't think you ever sense my style of typing. It's mostly fueled by sarcastic over-enthusiasm.

2. Fuck you. I've had a horrible, miserable week and I finally came home tonight happy, so please let me ride out this wave of joy before I wake up tomorrow back inside my pool of complete and utter depression.
    You don't have to explain yourself to them.

Also, I would love to go to this but I really don't think I could handle all the skinny jeans, fitted flannel and fedoras.

Quote Originally Posted by miscorrections View Post
    1. Waaaaah.

2. Waaaaaah waaaaaah waaaaaaaaah my life is terrible woe is me waaaaaaaaah.
    you're life must be so miserable to say these things to someone.
    Upcoming Shows:

Sasquatch Festival

Everyone start emailing bands asking if it's "true" that they are playing.

The mud people were ridiculous. Tim Harrington of course joined in their escapades.

Quote Originally Posted by garrett222 View Post
    you're life must be so miserable to say these things to someone.

Oh fuck you. This is always the go-to explanation for when somebody is telling it like it is. Maybe you and Kitt Kat should realize you come across as complete morons and all the shit you get from it has nothing to do with whether or not anybody is "miserable." Maybe you really ARE that fucking stupid and the person telling you this is completely happy. Go start another thread in which you tell everyone how desperate you are for a girlfriend. Better yet, go criticize another board member for meeting his girlfriend through the boards. Even though you didn't have the necessary game, or even a hint of personality, to even have a fighting chance of getting her. You creepy fuck.

Oh and Portishead would maybe get me to this, though my festival schedule is looking crazy booked.

Quote Originally Posted by TommyboyUNM View Post
    Oh fuck you. This is always the go-to explanation for when somebody is telling it like it is. Maybe you and Kitt Kat should realize you come across as complete morons and all the shit you get from it has nothing to do with whether or not anybody is "miserable." Maybe you really ARE that fucking stupid and the person telling you this is completely happy. Go start another thread in which you tell everyone how desperate you are for a girlfriend. Better yet, go criticize another board member for meeting his girlfriend through the boards. Even though you didn't have the necessary game, or even a hint of personality, to even have a fighting chance of getting her. You creepy fuck.

Oh and Portishead would maybe get me to this, though my festival schedule is looking crazy booked.
    Pathetic asshole. stop stalking me. I left your lame ass hippie thread for good. I defend a perfectly nice person from being insulted and you attack me for it? You don't know me...you don't know people because of what they post on a message board. I'm i a perfectly happy relationship, so keep calling me creepy, because I'm not here to troll for girls.

Just a little sick of people being assholes on the board so they can feel important. Yes tommy, you're the amazing leader of the coachella board clique. Hoooaaah. great for you. Keep ignoring me like you said you would.
    Upcoming Shows:

Sasquatch Festival

Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post
    It rains in Chicago in the summer? Blech. I'm not a rain person whatsoever.

I have been going to Pitchfork every year since it started as the Intonation festival. Out of the 4 years and 8 days I've been it only rained for half of a day this year. It was actually a complete relief from the heat and not a problem whatsoever as the mud was very easily avoidable.

Pitchfork is one of my favorite festivals as it provides an amazing counter-point to a fest like Coachella. It is cheap as hell (literally the first year was $35 for two days!, now it's like $50 for 2 but still), the crowds are small and very easy to deal with, and there is also very little conflict due to there being a maximum of two stages going at once. I can't speak highly enough about the way it is run and the chill atmosphere of the festival. Great indie bands, good food and yes cheap beer ($4 or $5 I think, not for a 12oz glass either).

Not to rain on any parades but I doubt they get Portishead. This festival does not draw big acts as headliners, but with Pitchfork you never know so until we see a lineup I do think speculation is fair. Hopefully they will announce some details at their SXSW party like they do most years, they usually release their lineup over a period of time.

Seriously go to this if you can, I have never been to Lolla but I hear from those who have been to both that they enjoyed Pitchfork more, especially compared to the cost. Plus chicago is one of the greatest cities in the nation. Please when anyone has it post details of a possible lineup, I will for sure be attending this year due to all the reasons I have previously stated.
    That which comes closest to expressing the inexpressible is music - Aldous Huxley

Hooked since '06

Check my latest music video

Umm yeah, Lake Michigan is right next to the city, you didnt notice? Storms come in without warning. And I mean, its the midwest, why wouldnt it rain?

Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    Umm yeah, Lake Michigan is right next to the city, you didnt notice? Storms come in without warning. And I mean, its the midwest, why wouldnt it rain?
    Burn. way to tear someone apart. Awesome. Didn't instantly think it would rain in the middle of July. What a prick she is!
    Upcoming Shows:

Sasquatch Festival