Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: the misc. debate thread

Coachella Junkie WhyTheLongFace's Avatar

Default Re: the misc. debate thread

Yes you're right i get it
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    It almost makes you think you might actually want to know what you are talking about before you tell people things.

Double
    It almost makes you think you might actually want to know what you are talking about before you tell people things.

HEY YOU GUYZ

Goddamit.

I was coming into this thread specifically to accuse it of failing for it's lack of captioned photo arguments.

However, I support the original intention.

Quote Originally Posted by kitt kat View Post
    HEY YOU GUYZ

but......but......but Asher Roth told me to.

Quote Originally Posted by kitt kat View Post
    HEY YOU GUYZ

Quote Originally Posted by KungFuJoe View Post
    Here is all I'll say about borders ... the Los Angeles Angels.

im sorry. that picture was too LOLZ to pass up.

Quote Originally Posted by zenidogx View Post
    Okay. I have nothing to equal the sheer brilliance of this. All I can say is

I resent this thread's attempt to prevent me from derailing other threads.

I will now go debate that point in some other thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monklish View Post
    Fuck you and fuck Haiti.

Once again, higher education has failed you.

"Intelligence" is the ability of the brain to learn. It has nothing to do with what you have learned, or how much you know. It is--in its true definition--just the capacity one possesses for recognizing patterns and putting the correlations to use in the future.

What you know has nothing to do with whether or not you're intelligent.

Not criticizing you Court, I dig most of what you're saying, just making the point again that, well, some of you educated types (not you) seem to spend an awful lot of time and money studying an awful lot of shit and still engage in discussions that just boggle me with how little actual grasp of the subject matters you possess.
    Did you read my full post? I am saying there are different types of intelligence. It's not as simple as a one or two word definition. And no, I don't think any of those types of intelligence are directly measured by the amount of stuff you know. I do think that certain types of intelligence relate to how well you can think critically, process information, etc, which are skills that can be refined through education.

What's going on here?
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt
    I know it's hard, but try not to turn into GPS. It is just unfortunate for us all.

Now I want to go hiking and get muddy.

There aren't different types of intelligence. There are different types of knowledge.

Street smarts, for example, is not a different kind of intelligence than book smarts. It is a different kind of knowledge. Either way, what you are talking about is the brain's ability to establish correlations and recognize patterns. That's what intelligence is. That's what IQ tests are designed to test.

The term has been watered down and applied to different things over the years, but that's its real meaning. It has nothing to do with how well you know anything, but how well you can gain knowledge of things.

Frankly I'm not so sure standard education ever does much to enhance those abilities. There could most certainly be a new, improved form of education that would help train the brain, but this is just not how most institutions function.
    Fuck you and fuck Haiti.

Interesting debate, but I suggest you guys avoid getting hung up on semantics.

thats all that happens round these part. larry.

Is this your homework Larry?
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Gribble View Post
    Is this your homework Larry?
    I already got my homewerk done.
    Quote Originally Posted by WastedTime View Post
    WAHAHAHHAHA, good god randy you are so wrong.

You probably think that the smartest educated person in the world is no different than the smartest "street-smart" person in the world in comparison to ability to gain knowledge...

I didn't bother reading this post, but I think you're just proving his point.

isnt that technically correct? they're just smart/knowledgeable in different areas. neither would survive a day in the others world.

Coachella Junkie

You probably think that the smartest educated person in the world is no different than the smartest "street-smart" person in the world in comparison to ability to gain knowledge...
    Intelligence is inborn. You misunderstand either its definition or its application.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry View Post
    Interesting debate, but I suggest you guys avoid getting hung up on semantics.
    Sometimes the definition of terms within a discussion are key to that discussion. Semantics aren't trivial.

Frankly I'm not so sure standard education ever does much to enhance those abilities.
    Standard education does plenty. Math is logic. Language is context. Art is abstraction. History is interconnectedness. Etc. All these things can certainly be learned on your own, outside of school. The entire purpose of standard education is setting up the pure subjects in front of you in a beneficial pattern to take the random elements out of the equation and thereby get you on your way to failing in the real world when the randomness comes crashing back in.

Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    Intelligence is inborn. You misunderstand either its definition or its application.
    Exactly what I've been saying.

Sometimes the definition of terms within a discussion are key to that discussion. Semantics aren't trivial.
    Ditto.

Standard education does plenty. Math is logic. Language is context. Art is abstraction. History is interconnectedness. Etc. All these things can certainly be learned on your own, outside of school. The entire purpose of standard education is setting up the pure subjects in front of you in a beneficial pattern to take the random elements out of the equation and thereby get you on your way to failing in the real world when the randomness comes crashing back in.
    What I mean is that the execution of said education is so piss poor that practically none of those who progress through it--almost no matter how far they go--seem to actually develop any of those skills noticeably. Example being all these dumb fucks who, although educated, still don't understand the difference between education and intelligence.
    Fuck you and fuck Haiti.

Sometimes, its nice to know you are better than other people at things, especially when it comes to rhetoric.

Nothing continues forever, everything is broken up into stages. Intelligence follows that principle.
    Realization sets you apart from the previous ignorance, after a while though, realization becomes obvious, and it becomes something more than just to know.

You are all wrong, and It saddens me to see that you guys live your lives parrallel to the mediocrity principle.

Fail on fuckers.
    Look, dumbshit, stop claiming that you treat schizophrenics--YOU ARE A SCHIZOPHRENIC. Put on an act in front of everyone else you want, but don't front that shit to me like you're proving me wrong about something.
    Fuck you and fuck Haiti.

Quote Originally Posted by HunterGather View Post

What's going on here?
    Answer in the post your picture thread.

It's long.

(from "lent 2009" thread")

Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    .............................But, then again, I recognize that we are using different definitions of agnostic here so this doesn't really reply to what you meant by your statement.
    yeah i was using the colloquial understanding of 'agnostic'... and i don't really care about any one person's little set of categories, which are by no means universal. "weak athiest" "strong thiest" "medium-to-moderate athieo-agnostic-trans-poly-thiest" yeah 99.9999999% of people didn't take the class you took where your professor gave a powerpoint presentation on the subject with his own set of definitions.

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
    I do think that certain types of intelligence relate to how well you can think critically, process information, etc, which are skills that can be refined through education.
    exactly the point that had been missing here. the assumption was that college /education in general is only good for teaching you sets of facts to memorize, or "knowledge", whereas intelligence is somehow inherent in a person from birth and cannot be taught. this assumption is the problem-- really, any school worth its salt will increase both knowledge and intelligence- one's capacity to understand and to apply what one has learned.

Quote Originally Posted by zajaa View Post
    (from "lent 2009" thread")

yeah i was using the colloquial understanding of 'agnostic'... and i don't really care about any one person's little set of categories, which are by no means universal. "weak athiest" "strong thiest" "medium-to-moderate athieo-agnostic-trans-poly-thiest" yeah 99.9999999% of people didn't take the class you took where your professor gave a powerpoint presentation on the subject with his own set of definitions.
    The word was invented by a specific man. The man gave it a specific definition. You don't need to take a class to know it. If you want to understand why agnostic in the colloquial sense doesn't really make any sense, trying using Gnostic in a colloquial sense.
    Fuck you and fuck Haiti.

The word was invented by a specific man. The man gave it a specific definition. You don't need to take a class to know it. If you want to understand why agnostic in the colloquial sense doesn't really make any sense, trying using Gnostic in a colloquial sense.
    the definitions of words are fluid and change through time and across cultural contexts. examples of this are abundant. they are not fixed as you are suggesting.

The word was invented by a specific man. The man gave it a specific definition.
    this is so far from the way words enter a language and develop

this is so far from the way words enter a language and develop

yup, words are transitory figures for each generation. what fuck means this century may be entirely different in the next.
    the lurker shows his member to the kids at the old school.

Coachella Junkie

exactly the point that had been missing here. the assumption was that college /education in general is only good for teaching you sets of facts to memorize, or "knowledge", whereas intelligence is somehow inherent in a person from birth and cannot be taught. this assumption is the problem-- really, any school worth its salt will increase both knowledge and intelligence- one's capacity to understand and to apply what one has learned.
    You can not increase intelligence. Not a discussion. Science, and all that.

Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    You can not increase intelligence. Not a discussion. Science, and all that.
    oh no? whose science might that be?

if we can agree on these common definitions of intelligence...

"1. capacity for learning, reasoning, understanding, and similar forms of mental activity; aptitude in grasping truths, relationships, facts, meanings, etc.
    2. manifestation of a high mental capacity: He writes with intelligence and wit.
    3. the faculty of understanding."

...then i would ask just what makes you think a person cannot improve, grow, gain more of-, etc, the above definitions