Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 61

Thread: the misc. debate thread

  1. #1
    Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    aquabania
    Posts
    17,171

    Default the misc. debate thread

    this is the thread where you can take side debates that are not related to the specific topic of a thread and continue them here

    starting with today's debate from the picture thread:

    Quote Originally Posted by MissingPerson View Post
    And yup, I'm all about the atheism. Sometimes I have to stay up late to get all my atheism done, in fact. Mmm, atheism. I have no beef with believers until they do something stupid on God's say-so, though. And I like your buildings - good call on the spires. They're freaking awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackSwan View Post
    Atheists are believers too.
    Quote Originally Posted by MissingPerson View Post
    Then bald is a hair colour, as the old saying goes.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackSwan View Post
    That saying isn't old! You just made it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by ivankay View Post
    So i gather there are different atheists. Those who believe there is no God and those who know God doesn't exist. The ones that know are just as annoying as those who know there is a God. You ask them how they know and it pretty much comes out the same (essentially "I just know."....actually you would just believe....knowing requires backup).

    So yes, atheists believe.

    And on that note, one of the reasons i believe in a God concept:

    Quote Originally Posted by SubBass49 View Post
    agnostic then?
    Quote Originally Posted by ivankay View Post
    me? Not since my early 20's have i used that description of myself. i tipped over on the believing in God concept when i connected it with my belief in infinity. And too much magical stuff has happened in life for me not to emotionally connect with the belief there is a One that is all. i chucked it up to God is EVERYTHING (that is and isn't). The God most people present through religion was too limited with all the human baggage connected to It. i guess you could still say i'm (and everyone technically) agnostic because that means you don't know either way.

    i don't know shit other than i am.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monklish View Post
    Here's the true meaning of agnosticism, just because everyone keeps talking about it today:

    "Agnostic" is a term which has been generalized in its definition over time. What agnosticism really is NOT being unsure whether or not there is a God, but rather that it is impossible for man to know whether or not God exists.
    Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    and on top of that, agnostic also means that the knowledge of god existing doesn't have any impact on your day to day life anyways. i don't think there's anyway for me to know in my lifetime, nor do i think it would have an impact on my life.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdaws View Post
    how can it be said that "knowing" would have no impact when the dominant statement is that "knowing" is impossible..
    Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    you're right, it's a bit redundant and i've seen definitions that don't include that second part. but to me it means that we can be satisfied not knowing as it has no bearing on our day-to-day life.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackSwan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    and on top of that, agnostic also means that the knowledge of god existing doesn't have any impact on your day to day life anyways. i don't think there's anyway for me to know in my lifetime, nor do i think it would have an impact on my life.
    That addition is similar to what some call apathetic agnosticism. I've found that like atheists, a view like that is more rooted in your feelings about belief in god than it is in any actual knowledge about the nature of reality.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackSwan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    you're right, it's a bit redundant and i've seen definitions that don't include that second part. but to me it means that we can be satisfied not knowing as it has no bearing on our day-to-day life.
    Like atheists, even most agnostics are rooted in some belief. You believe that is impossible for humans to know whether or not God exists.

    An important question to ask yourself if you are agnostic and think you know it all because of your belief is... Is it possible for humans to know truth?

    Quote Originally Posted by ivankay View Post
    That where Decartes comes in and comes up with the only knowable truth "i think, therefore i am." i can come to the conclusion "i" exist because i think and that is truth. i can't verify you aren't an illusion though.
    Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    excellent points (BlackSwan) because you're right, it is a belief unto itself. i guess truth needs to be defined also. i think seeking truth is something we always do; it isn't something that you discover and then you're done. it's something you always work towards like being a good person. your work is never done. plato had some theory that i don't remember the name of and my notes are at home about how somethings are always striving to be a thing; they are constantly in motion. for example, all the particles in a chair are constantly working to be that chair; their work is never done. i feel the same thing with finding "truth" or any knowledge in a general sense; your work is never done. so i guess i don't really know if it's possible for humans to know truth without knowing what truth is, but whatever it is, it is a struggle.

    that probably doesn't make much sense though since i'm not a philosophy major or anything, it's something i really want to get a degree in after my current degree though.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackSwan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ivankay View Post
    That where Decartes comes in and comes up with the only knowable truth "i think, therefore i am." i can come to the conclusion "i" exist because i think and that is truth. i can't verify you aren't an illusion though.
    It's Descartes. But reciting something someone wrote in 1644 as the basis of what you believe to be the only knowable truth is kind of empty. What does that mean to you? If "I think, therefore I am", what exactly does "am" really mean? Do you know the full breadth of your existence merely by "thinking", or is that knowledge limited and therefore "You think, therefore you sorta are."
    Quote Originally Posted by ivankay View Post
    Since all my other senses can be potentially decieved, whatever "evidence" they provide can be suspect. my thoughts come from me. i experience them. This is evidence to me that "i" exist or am. The "i" is the thoughts because the body could be illusion. i'm not sure what you mean by "full breadth of existence". Please clarify. The only thing i can be sure of is the thinking. i was thikning how my thoughts could be decieved where i believed i was having them, but they were actually a creation from another external source. In my limited perspective, i can't imagine how that could be, but you never know.

    i'm at werk. We need to symposium this with some booze and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackSwan View Post
    (in response to chairmenmeow47) It's good that you are open to it. What you are talking about reminds me of a claim by Sextus Empiricus. While it may not be possible to know or know that you do not know, you can continue searching for something that might be knowable. If this kind of thinking interests you, you should look into philosophical skepticism and more specifically Pyrrhonian skepticism, rather than trying to get comfy in agnosticism.
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackSwan View Post
    I've found that like atheists, a view like that is more rooted in your feelings about belief in god than it is in any actual knowledge about the nature of reality.

    So the idea that it is not possible to know the nature of reality as it relates to higher powers is not related to knowledge about the nature of reality?
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackSwan View Post
    Like atheists, even most agnostics are rooted in some belief.

    Everything is a belief. The idea that I won't go plummeting into space on the next rotation is a belief. It's irrelevant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monklish View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    and on top of that, agnostic also means that the knowledge of god existing doesn't have any impact on your day to day life anyways. i don't think there's anyway for me to know in my lifetime, nor do i think it would have an impact on my life.
    Like I said, I was just citing the original Huxley meaning. Since then it's been redefined and evolved by a number of people. This came up recently in my job because our company claims to be "technologically agnostic," meaning that we don't push Mac or Windows specifically. I pointed out to my boss that he doesn't know what the word means, and that what he means to say is technologically secular.

    Technologically agnostic, of course, would mean that we--as a fucking IT consulting firm--don't believe we can have knowledge of the existence of technology.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monklish View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackSwan View Post
    That addition is similar to what some call apathetic agnosticism. I've found that like atheists, a view like that is more rooted in your feelings about belief in god than it is in any actual knowledge about the nature of reality.



    Like atheists, even most agnostics are rooted in some belief. You believe that is impossible for humans to know whether or not God exists.

    An important question to ask yourself if you are agnostic and think you know it all because of your belief is... Is it possible for humans to know truth?
    Your points here are kind of silly, as Pot pointed out. You're interpreting "belief" in a bizarre way.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackSwan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    So the idea that it is not possible to know the nature of reality as it relates to higher powers is not related to knowledge about the nature of reality?
    No. That is not what I said and if you found it to be implied, that was not what I was implying. I was referring to the reason they believed it, not the belief itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackSwan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    Everything is a belief. The idea that I won't go plummeting into space on the next rotation is a belief. It's irrelevant.
    If you believe that everything is a belief, then are there degrees to which specific believes are plausible?
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackSwan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Monklish View Post
    Your points here are kind of silly, as Pot pointed out. You're interpreting "belief" in a bizarre way.
    It seems more like you are both misinterpreting what I am saying.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monklish View Post
    This is because what you are saying is uninterpretable babble.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackSwan View Post
    That doesn't really mean much coming from someone who is proud of having a GED.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monklish View Post
    I'm proud of having a GED because it helped me avoid dealing with jerkoffs who go around spouting uninterpretable pseudo-intellectual babble, like yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackSwan View Post
    It seems more like you are both misinterpreting what I am saying.
    The Frozen Pilgrim defense
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackSwan View Post
    There is nothing convincing about an ad hominem argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monklish View Post
    That is not an ad hominem argument. See, this again is why I'm glad I didn't bother going to college. You went, paid tons of money, and don't know what the fuck you're talking about.

    An ad hominem attack would be if I said your argument was invalid because you're dumb. Which you are. But that's not what I said. What I said is that your argument is invalid because it is incomprehensible babble. That is a criticism of your argument, not you.

    Would you like me to keep pointing out the advantages of a GED? =)
    Quote Originally Posted by Monklish View Post
    Now what's even funnier about all this is before you falsely accused me of an ad hominem argument, you yourself were guilty of trying to invalidate my argument on the grounds that I only have a GED. Which, since you supposedly studied argument or debate, you should know is an argument from authority--which IS invalid.

    So, so far you've misappropriated ad hominem in your attempt to defend your own argument from authority, all in the interest of proving that what you're saying is remotely knowledgeable logic.

    Good work, putz.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackSwan View Post
    I got paid to go to college, but that is not the point here. You are using a simplistic understanding of an "ad hominem argument" to try to serve you own position. By criticizing my argument on the basis that it is "incomprehensible babble", you are in turn criticizing me, my ability to argue and my intelligence in general.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackSwan View Post
    I wasn't trying to invalidate your argument on the grounds that you only have a GED. There was no point in trying to argue against your post because it was ad hominem, so I took a cheap shot at you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monklish View Post
    A simplistic understanding of ad hominem? I'm sorry, would you care to enlighten me on some other meaning of it? Cause one doesn't exist. Ad hominem means attacking the man and not the argument. I attacked the argument and threw in a commentary on you as a person. My comment on your person was not my argument.

    If I explain why your argument is stupid and then say you're stupid, that doesn't make it an ad hominem attack.

    maybe you should go back to school.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackSwan View Post
    It not about meaning. It's simplistic because you were defining it to only mean a direct abusive personal attack, like your example of calling me dumb. You attacked the argument by calling it "silly" and said "I was interpreting "belief" in a bizarre way"...
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackSwan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Monklish View Post
    Your points here are kind of silly, as Pot pointed out. You're interpreting "belief" in a bizarre way.
    You never explained anything. I tried to clarify, but your attack remained the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by zajaa View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Monklish View Post
    I'm proud of having a GED because it helped me avoid dealing with jerkoffs who go around spouting uninterpretable pseudo-intellectual babble, like yourself.
    boasting about not having gone to college is fucking stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    boasting about going to college is kind of dumb too. It's about the intelligence not the diploma.

    /devil's advocate
    Quote Originally Posted by locachica73 View Post
    Agreed...

    coming from a non college person with a GED.
    Quote Originally Posted by zajaa View Post
    granted. but college is about more than just gaining intelligence. it's four incredibly important, formative years in the lives of young adults. school is not for everyone, but i would say the more people who achieve higher education, the better.

    irritating positions:
    "i don't need 'book-smarts', i have real-world knowledge"
    "you won't learn _______ at your fancy college..."
    etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by locachica73 View Post
    There was a comic once that said something about spending thousands of dollars to send their kid to a university and he came back only knowing how to bounce a quarter in a glass. I know people with four year degrees who can't get jobs and when they do make less money then I do. It just depends on the person and the motivation.
    Quote Originally Posted by zajaa View Post
    Eventually making a ton of cash is definitely not the point of going to college. Although for some people that's the only goal. It's a shame.
    Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zajaa View Post
    granted. but college is about more than just gaining intelligence. it's four incredibly important, formative years in the lives of young adults. school is not for everyone, but i would say the more people who achieve higher education, the better.

    irritating positions:
    "i don't need 'book-smarts', i have real-world knowledge"
    "you won't learn _______ at your fancy college..."
    etc.
    Yeah I understand that. I am actually enrolled in college. I am just saying how those are irritating positions to you so is
    "What do you mean you're not going to school? You need college"
    "You won't be successful without some form of education"
    "I graduated from ______ university which means I know more than you"
    That's all I'm saying
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackSwan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by locachica73 View Post
    It just depends on the person and the motivation.
    There we go.
    Quote Originally Posted by zajaa View Post
    well the first two of those are said by people trying to encourage others, which i see as a good thing, even at the risk of being misinterpreted as being condescending. the third one is obviously rude and unnecessary, but in many cases it's probably true.

    the anti-college positions i pointed out are terrible because they come from a position of ignorance, since the person hasn't been to college and cannot judge, and secondly because they seem very defensive, like the person actually feels inferior for not completing higher education, so they turn it around on those who actually made the effort and achieved it.
    Quote Originally Posted by locachica73 View Post
    I do not feel inferior by any means, although it seems you feel a little superior in your arguement. Some people don't have the option of going to a 4 year college and do the best they can with what they have. Someone with such a high education should probably recognize that.
    Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    ok the 1st are not encouraging because you're assuming whats good for you is good for everyone else. If I go the route I want to go without heading through college then what's the point for college. You obviously think college is/was necessary for you and I do as well. But it isn't some out of this world idea that maybe some people can bypass college and be successful.

    And I don't know how you can defend the 3rd statement. I can find someone who didn't go to college who is smarter a lot of college graduates. It isn't some crazy Matt Damon janitor success story either I'm talking regular people. The statement "I went to college and am smarter than you because of it" is just as ignorant as "I didn't go to college and I'm smarter than you because of it"

    And you seem more defensive as if you think your diploma makes you smarter and someone saying it doesn't takes away from your college experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackSwan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zajaa View Post
    well the first two of those are said by people trying to encourage others, which i see as a good thing, even at the risk of being misinterpreted as being condescending.
    I'd say they first two are not very convincing and inaccurate before condescending.
    Quote Originally Posted by zajaa View Post
    (in response to loca) oh well i don't mean you in particular, i'm speaking in general.

    i imagine there are legit circumstances that make it difficult for people to go to college... but if it's a matter of income, i do not understand, because grants, loans and scholarships are always available. if it's a matter of poor grades in high school, i really can't sympathize.
    Quote Originally Posted by zajaa View Post
    the notion that the average college graduate is smarter/more intelligent/etc than the average person who did not attend college is not ignorant or indefensible... it's common sense. it's not very 'nice' but it's reality: some people are smarter than others, better at certain things than others, etc. i believe in treating people equally regardless, but if you want to get down to it then sorry but the average person is smarter for going to college.

    i personally don't feel like anyone is 'taking away from my college experience'. that is one thing that no one can take away. i just really wanted to offer a protest against this common attitude of putting down college. perhaps i should not speculate that it comes from 'inferiority' like i said, maybe that is unfair. but either way, i think it's just bad advice to discourage people in their educational aspirations.
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    You don't seem particularly familiar with the definition of intelligence.
    Quote Originally Posted by zajaa View Post
    sounds like the pot calling the kettle black lolz
    Quote Originally Posted by zajaa View Post
    and please, enlighten me
    Quote Originally Posted by locachica73 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zajaa View Post
    i think it's just bad advice to discourage people in their educational aspirations.
    I do not recall anyone discouraging people from educational aspirations, although I do think it is a little crazy for an 18 year old who just went through 12 years of school to decide what they want to do with the rest of their lives, commit thousands and thousands of their future salary and 4+ years of their time without knowing for sure. I know people who have master degrees in whatever it is they decided to go to school for and either hate thier jobs because they felt pressured to make that choice at such a young age or they do something completely different then what they went to school for.
    Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    (in response to zajaa) Ok I give you that average person w/ college degree>average person. But you don't know this person from a hole in the wall so for you to play down their intelligence and look someone you just met in the eye who doesn't have a college degree and think "I'm smarter than them" without even having a conversation to gauge their intelligence is your superioty complex coming in to play.

    And your logic doesn't make sense. I don't know where you went to college but let's say it was ranked #100 on best colleges in the world. A respectable rank and graduating from there is an accomplishment but does that mean everyone who graduated from the 99 schools ranked above is smarter than you? By your theory, yes.

    And no one is discouraging college, like I said before I am in college so clearly I think it's good for me and I wouldn't discourage anybody from going this route. But if someone told me "School isn't for me I am going to do (________)" then who am I to say, "That's dumb you shouldn't do that school worked for me it will work for you. And if you don't go to college you'll always be dumber than me"

    To be honest I have learned a lot in my almost 3 years of college but I havent learned much more than I would have had I stuk my self in a library for 3 years. To be honest I am using college for what it has now become, a networking facility. Yes I am gaining the basic skills needed in my profession but I use it to network so that when I go out I can be advanced in my profession. Also this little piece of paper doesn't tell me I am smarter than anyway but it's going to open a door that otherwise would be close. Going to college is a more intelligent business move? I'll give you that. Going to college makes you more intelligent than the next man or woman? Naw I can't give you that G.
    Quote Originally Posted by zajaa View Post
    (in response to loca) i have heard that most people don't end up working in the field that their degree is in. so this idea of 'what they want to do for the rest of their lives' is bogus. like i said before, college is not vocational school, and it's not just about segueing into a job.
    Quote Originally Posted by zajaa View Post
    (in response to WhyTheLongFace) make up ur mind
    Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    Ok let me break it down for you buddy.
    If you take the same person with the same DNA and send them to college they are going to learn more. But if you took two different people you wouldn't know whose smarter.

    To make it easier for you to understand edit my post and instead of "average person" put "Person X". Then read the 2nd statement where i say "smarter than the next man or woman. It should click in your mental now.
    Quote Originally Posted by locachica73 View Post
    If going to college isn't to segue into a job then please enlighten me what it is about. Is it so you can tell people who didn't go to college that you are smarter?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale Gribble View Post
    I know this isn't much of a contribution..... but it doesn't hurt to have a degree. just saying.
    Quote Originally Posted by locachica73 View Post
    It wouldn't hurt, in fact it is absolutely a plus in the working world. But that does not mean someone is smarter because they have a degree. The previous president of the multi million dollar company I work for who retired and made more money then anyone I know was the smartest person I have ever met. He could take any contract and read it and find any and all loop holes that could possibly come back and bite us in the ass. The person who replaced him, who went all the way in college, has nothing on the other guy.

    There are many circumstances that can make it impossible for someone to go to college, it does not make them less smart then someone who's family has the money to put them through school.
    Quote Originally Posted by zajaa View Post
    i will take that question as sarcasm.

    certainly, having a degree will benefit your chances of getting a better-paying or cushier-than-average job. that's not something i would deny. but did you consider that perhaps becoming more educated is an end in itself? increasing your knowledge, learning to think critically, to think in new ways, from new points of view... this can only enrich your life, and in turn the lives of those around you. and the net effect on all of society is undeniable; a well-read and educated populous is preferable than the alternative.

    i dunno, this seems obvious to me like it doesn't need further explanation...?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale Gribble View Post
    I went to college for the bewbs.
    Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    The irony of this arguement makes my head want to explode.
    Quote Originally Posted by zajaa View Post
    (in response to loca) that's such a cop out. the families who dont "have the money" often get their entire educations paid for by grant money, while the kids of those who make too much to qualify for aid pay back college loans for years.
    Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zajaa View Post
    make up ur mind
    ps you forgot the quote the rest of my post. I like to see your opinion. (no sarcasm)
    Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
    As someone who has a graduate degree and taught undergraduates for a period of time, I have given a fair amount of thought to the value of education and its correlation to intelligence.

    I think what's tripping up quite a few of you in this thread is that you have no specific, concrete definition of intelligence. Surely, someone who is able to perform well academically exhibits a certain type of intelligence, but it may not be the same type of intelligence as someone who exhibits street smarts. Howard Gardner's theory on multiple intelligences has been quite influential in my own thinking on what it means to be "smart."

    Higher education teaches a very specific set of academic-related skills. These skills may or may not be applicable in the real world after graduation, largely dependent on the type of education you receive and the type of job you choose. I tend to advocate a liberal arts undergraduate experience, because it emphasizes critical thought process (which I believe is highly useful throughout life) over pre-professional training, but that's a personal choice. In any case, a college-educated person is nearly always going to finish the experience with increased fluency in the specific set of academic-related skills taught to them. Whether or not this counts as an increased intelligence is dependent on your definition of intelligence.

    As to the question of whether the average college-educated person is more intelligent than the non-college educated person, that's trickier to say. My gut says that yes, the average college-educated person is probably more intelligent, given that being (a certain kind of book-)smart makes K-12 school easier which would mean you might be more encouraged to go to college. However, I think that there are certainly outliers who are too smart for their educational setting to handle, who would be bored and less likely to seek out higher education. I also think that there are lots of people who are all different kinds of "smart" in ways unrecognized by the traditional educational system.
    Last edited by chairmenmeow47; 02-27-2009 at 01:57 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

  2. #2
    Young blood
    Guest

    Default Re: the misc. debate thread


  3. #3
    Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    aquabania
    Posts
    17,171

    Default Re: the misc. debate thread

    that is cooler than anything that was discussed in the picture thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

  4. #4
    Banned marooko's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    In your mouth!
    Posts
    19,585

    Default Re: the misc. debate thread

    i would like the argue the need for this thread. seems to me the others were containing the arguments just fine. i kid, i kid. hope this works, but we know it won't.
    Originally Posted by Riggins33
    Why don't you show me a pic of what you look like and I'll send you a pick of myself. I'm 6'5 230....
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    Would you care to list the fixes I've proposed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogvolta View Post
    Thank god I did't suck that guy's dick.

  5. #5
    Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    aquabania
    Posts
    17,171

    Default Re: the misc. debate thread

    i'd just like to have a thread to direct people whenever these types of debates start. come on, be a pal, use it
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

  6. #6
    Coachella Junkie WhyTheLongFace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    San Gabriel
    Posts
    8,567

    Default Re: the misc. debate thread

    you took a lot of time on this. And to show my gratitude I'm going to continue in the other post :-p
    Kaaaaast

  7. #7
    Coachella Junkie BlackSwan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    in the danger zone
    Posts
    14,857

    Default Re: the misc. debate thread

    That koala looks like it wants to scratch the eyes out of the person taking the picture.
    .

  8. #8
    Young blood
    Guest

    Default Re: the misc. debate thread

    I disagree, He looks content, just chillin'. I think maybe it was more surprised that it was caught drinking the bath water.

  9. #9
    Coachella Junkie WhyTheLongFace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    San Gabriel
    Posts
    8,567

    Default Re: the misc. debate thread

    I remember those chocolate koala snacks. Yum
    Kaaaaast

  10. #10
    Banned marooko's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    In your mouth!
    Posts
    19,585

    Default Re: the misc. debate thread

    Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    i'd just like to have a thread to direct people whenever these types of debates start. come on, be a pal, use it
    i completely agree, i was just kidding.
    Originally Posted by Riggins33
    Why don't you show me a pic of what you look like and I'll send you a pick of myself. I'm 6'5 230....
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    Would you care to list the fixes I've proposed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogvolta View Post
    Thank god I did't suck that guy's dick.

  11. #11
    Coachella Junkie PlayaDelWes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Posts
    7,171

    Default Re: the misc. debate thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Young blood View Post
    I disagree, He looks content, just chillin'. I think maybe it was more surprised that it was caught drinking the bath water.
    Wrong and Wrong. Clearly he is hanging on for his life and reaching out to the photog for help, but the photg wants no part of it. He's taking picutres of the incident.

  12. #12
    Coachella Junkie BlackSwan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    in the danger zone
    Posts
    14,857

    Default Re: the misc. debate thread

    No matter what the koala's mindset, this is definitely a miscellaneous debate.
    .

  13. #13
    Coachella Junkie
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    13,128

    Default Re: the misc. debate thread

    Ivy is a dumb bitch. Discuss.

  14. #14
    Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    aquabania
    Posts
    17,171

    Default Re: the misc. debate thread

    who's dumber, me or the person who hasn't figured out how to put me on ignore after 4 years?
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

  15. #15
    Dark Lord mountmccabe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Hell's Kitchen
    Posts
    11,850

    Default Re: the misc. debate thread

    I didn't notice this thread and just replied on a related subject in the Lent thread. I guess I need to copy that into here? And read all of the above quoted text? Yikes.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

  16. #16
    old school downingthief's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Scottsdale, Az
    Posts
    5,504

    Default Re: the misc. debate thread

    Pack a lunch, John.

  17. #17
    Young blood
    Guest

    Default Re: the misc. debate thread

    Bring back snacks.

  18. #18
    Young blood
    Guest

    Default Re: the misc. debate thread

    ooh ooh and some red drink.

  19. #19
    Chest Rockwell Gribbz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    ATX
    Posts
    19,634

    Default Re: the misc. debate thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Young blood View Post
    It looks like he's saying "Won't you join me for a dip in the pool?"
    Quote Originally Posted by betao View Post
    There's an emoticon for jerking off on this forum?



    The National/Warpaint - 4/21 - Moody Theater
    Thee Silver MT. Zion Orchestra - 4/22 - The Mohawk
    Mogwai - 4/24 - Emo's
    Cloud Nothings/The Men - 4/26 - The Mohawk
    Austin Psych Fest - 5/2 - 5/4 - Carson Creek Ranch
    King Khan & the Shrines - 5/30 - The Mohawk
    Cut Copy - 6/21 - Stubbs
    Swans - 6/27 - The Mohawk
    Boris - 7/29 - The Mohawk

  20. #20
    Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    aquabania
    Posts
    17,171

    Default Re: the misc. debate thread

    Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    I didn't notice this thread and just replied on a related subject in the Lent thread. I guess I need to copy that into here? And read all of the above quoted text? Yikes.
    yeah, somehow the whole agnostic/athiest discussion ended up in both the lent and the picture thread. what i copied above was from the picture thread, not the lent thread.

    it's just been an insanely slow week for me, so i thought i'd try to clear everyone out of the picture thread since that wasn't really relevant. and since random debates happen in other threads, it might be nice to have a place to go to continue those debates. or this may never get used, either way, it killed some time till i get off and that's all that matters to me

    i would think your discussion is somewhat appropriate for the lent thread, but feel free to move it here if you have time to kill like me!
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

  21. #21
    Chest Rockwell Gribbz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    ATX
    Posts
    19,634

    Default Re: the misc. debate thread

    Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    yeah, somehow the whole agnostic/athiest discussion ended up in both the lent and the picture thread. what i copied above was from the picture thread, not the lent thread.

    it's just been an insanely slow week for me, so i thought i'd try to clear everyone out of the picture thread since that wasn't really relevant. and since random debates happen in other threads, it might be nice to have a place to go to continue those debates. or this may never get used, either way, it killed some time till i get off and that's all that matters to me

    i would think your discussion is somewhat appropriate for the lent thread, but feel free to move it here if you have time to kill like me!

    I like how you posted my "I went to college for the bewbs" comment.

    I really know how to contribute.
    Quote Originally Posted by betao View Post
    There's an emoticon for jerking off on this forum?



    The National/Warpaint - 4/21 - Moody Theater
    Thee Silver MT. Zion Orchestra - 4/22 - The Mohawk
    Mogwai - 4/24 - Emo's
    Cloud Nothings/The Men - 4/26 - The Mohawk
    Austin Psych Fest - 5/2 - 5/4 - Carson Creek Ranch
    King Khan & the Shrines - 5/30 - The Mohawk
    Cut Copy - 6/21 - Stubbs
    Swans - 6/27 - The Mohawk
    Boris - 7/29 - The Mohawk

  22. #22
    Coachella Junkie
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    13,128

    Default Re: the misc. debate thread

    Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    who's dumber, me or the person who hasn't figured out how to put me on ignore after 4 years?
    Someone erased my ignore list and I'm too busy yelling at my computer screen for you to put your fucking tongue back in your mouth to repopulate it. Life is rough.

  23. #23
    Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    aquabania
    Posts
    17,171

    Default Re: the misc. debate thread

    awww, poor, poor pot. i hope all that works out for you and i wish you the best of luck in finally ignoring me. *GIANT HUGS AND KISSES*
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

  24. #24
    Coachella Junkie WhyTheLongFace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    San Gabriel
    Posts
    8,567

    Default Re: the misc. debate thread

    She just Plurred all on ya face like UHHHHHHHHHHH!
    Kaaaaast

  25. #25
    Chest Rockwell Gribbz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    ATX
    Posts
    19,634

    Default Re: the misc. debate thread

    Hey muscly arm, why the long face?
    Quote Originally Posted by betao View Post
    There's an emoticon for jerking off on this forum?



    The National/Warpaint - 4/21 - Moody Theater
    Thee Silver MT. Zion Orchestra - 4/22 - The Mohawk
    Mogwai - 4/24 - Emo's
    Cloud Nothings/The Men - 4/26 - The Mohawk
    Austin Psych Fest - 5/2 - 5/4 - Carson Creek Ranch
    King Khan & the Shrines - 5/30 - The Mohawk
    Cut Copy - 6/21 - Stubbs
    Swans - 6/27 - The Mohawk
    Boris - 7/29 - The Mohawk

  26. #26
    Member zajaa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    silverlake
    Posts
    1,293

    Default Re: the misc. debate thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Dale Gribble View Post
    Hey muscly arm, why the long face?

  27. #27
    Chest Rockwell Gribbz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    ATX
    Posts
    19,634

    Default Re: the misc. debate thread

    I'm glad somebody caught that.

    I think of Herbert every time that guy posts. No offense whythelongface.
    Quote Originally Posted by betao View Post
    There's an emoticon for jerking off on this forum?



    The National/Warpaint - 4/21 - Moody Theater
    Thee Silver MT. Zion Orchestra - 4/22 - The Mohawk
    Mogwai - 4/24 - Emo's
    Cloud Nothings/The Men - 4/26 - The Mohawk
    Austin Psych Fest - 5/2 - 5/4 - Carson Creek Ranch
    King Khan & the Shrines - 5/30 - The Mohawk
    Cut Copy - 6/21 - Stubbs
    Swans - 6/27 - The Mohawk
    Boris - 7/29 - The Mohawk

  28. #28
    Coachella Junkie WhyTheLongFace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    San Gabriel
    Posts
    8,567

    Default Re: the misc. debate thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Dale Gribble View Post
    Hey muscly arm, why the long face?
    I don't get it but you used my e-persona's name so i lol'd
    Kaaaaast

  29. #29
    Chest Rockwell Gribbz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    ATX
    Posts
    19,634

    Default Re: the misc. debate thread

    Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    I don't get it but you used my e-persona's name so i lol'd
    Quote Originally Posted by betao View Post
    There's an emoticon for jerking off on this forum?



    The National/Warpaint - 4/21 - Moody Theater
    Thee Silver MT. Zion Orchestra - 4/22 - The Mohawk
    Mogwai - 4/24 - Emo's
    Cloud Nothings/The Men - 4/26 - The Mohawk
    Austin Psych Fest - 5/2 - 5/4 - Carson Creek Ranch
    King Khan & the Shrines - 5/30 - The Mohawk
    Cut Copy - 6/21 - Stubbs
    Swans - 6/27 - The Mohawk
    Boris - 7/29 - The Mohawk

  30. #30
    Chest Rockwell Gribbz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    ATX
    Posts
    19,634

    Default Re: the misc. debate thread

    That clip didn't have the "why the long face" line but you get the idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by betao View Post
    There's an emoticon for jerking off on this forum?



    The National/Warpaint - 4/21 - Moody Theater
    Thee Silver MT. Zion Orchestra - 4/22 - The Mohawk
    Mogwai - 4/24 - Emo's
    Cloud Nothings/The Men - 4/26 - The Mohawk
    Austin Psych Fest - 5/2 - 5/4 - Carson Creek Ranch
    King Khan & the Shrines - 5/30 - The Mohawk
    Cut Copy - 6/21 - Stubbs
    Swans - 6/27 - The Mohawk
    Boris - 7/29 - The Mohawk

Similar Threads

  1. The hiding from Randy in the Misc. Lounge Thread
    By MeowMixer in forum Misc. Lounge
    Replies: 129
    Last Post: 02-28-2013, 02:42 PM
  2. The Official Final Debate Thread
    By captncrzy in forum Misc. Lounge
    Replies: 265
    Last Post: 10-17-2012, 09:29 AM
  3. Presidential Debate #2 Thread.
    By Goodtoknow in forum Misc. Lounge
    Replies: 414
    Last Post: 10-08-2008, 10:17 AM
  4. A presidential thread to debate about #2.
    By Young blood in forum Misc. Lounge
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 10-07-2008, 04:43 PM
  5. The official 2008 Election Debate Thread
    By faxman75 in forum Misc. Lounge
    Replies: 180
    Last Post: 10-02-2008, 05:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •