Thread: Drug Violence and the Mexican Drug War: Do you want to be an informant?

Default Drug Violence and the Mexican Drug War: Do you want to be an informant?

My friends, I am an anthropologist. I am not a police officer that has joined Coachella to slowly gain your trust and then report all of you. I'm sure none of you think that anyway, but I'm supposed to say that. I am writing a small research paper on the drug violence in Mexico, I'm sure many of you have heard of it.

The point of my research paper is to recommend action that will help Mexico, as well as the United States. In my case, I am looking at how the legalization of certain drugs in the United States might help the situation at hand. If any of you would like to participate, feel free to fill out this interview. You could e-mail it to me at truechemistry@gmail.com if you do not feel comfortable posting it in the thread. I'd rather you not PM it to me, because that box gets filled; but you could do that if you want. Also, you can post in this thread and discuss the issue of drug violence in Mexico or the United States, and your ideas of legalizing drugs. I might quote some of you in the actual research paper. If I do, I will use fake names, and you have my word that I would never give any information about any of you to anybody. As an anthropologist, I have an ethical responsibility to put you guys on the priority list.

Here is the interview:

1. Do you believe that a lift on the prohibition of certain drugs in the United States would decrease the amount of violence in Mexico and the United States?

2. Which drugs should be legalized, if any?

3. Should there be limited and designated areas to use drugs, if you feel that they should be legalized?

4. Which drugs should not be legalized, if any?

5. Do you believe that the legalization of certain drugs in the United States would increase the risk of drug-related deaths due to health concerns like overdose?

6. If you do believe that the legalization of drugs will increase health-related risks, do you think the overall result will still prove to be beneficial because of the possible decrease in drug-related violence?

7. Can you think of other benefits, if any, aside from a possible decrease in violence, that could help the United States and Mexico?

8. Are there any illegal drugs that you consider to be more dangerous than cigarettes?

9. In your experience, is it easy to come into contact with illegal drugs?

10. Do you have any experience regarding the current Mexican Drug War? If so, could you share your stories?

Thanks! I'll show you guys the paper when it's finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

Default Re: Drug Violence and the Mexican Drug War: Do you want to be an informant?

Is Mexico the one up north with the hockey, or is it the one to the south with all the gum?

Default Re: Drug Violence and the Mexican Drug War: Do you want to be an informant?

Quote Originally Posted by Hannahrain View Post
    Is Mexico the one up north with the hockey, or is it the one to the south with all the gum?
    It's the one to the south, Hannah. Are you suggesting an argument that "chicle" is just as, if not more dangerous than the currently prohibited drugs? Would the prohibition of "chicle" in the United States create more violence?
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

I think you're wrong, Tim. My northern cousin was a drug moose and it ruined his life.

Quote Originally Posted by Hannahrain View Post
    I think you're wrong, Tim. My northern cousin was a drug moose and it ruined his life.
    Everybody knows drugs are more potent in snowy conditions, Hannah. I'm trying to save Mexico, not Canada. In fact, I'm pretty sure the snow in Canada is cocaine.

Coachella Junkie boarderwoozel3's Avatar

So, anybody up for a trip to Canada?

Here is the interview:

1. Do you believe that a lift on the prohibition of certain drugs in the United States would decrease the amount of violence in Mexico and the United States?

Yes, probably. Legalizing marijuana/cocaine/meth/heroin would not end the violence in Mexico, but would certainly diminish it to some degree. I believe the violence to be a result of a range of socio-economic issues that plague the region and the country; drugs just happened to be the catalyst. Stopping the flow entirely might reduce the violence, but even if they were legal, the U.S. would have to procure them from somewhere, and there is a very good chance Mexico would be that somewhere. So the same cartels would still be battling over control of a now-legitimate industry.

2. Which drugs should be legalized, if any?

Marijuana, the other choices tend to ruin lives/kill people via addiction and overdose

3. Should there be limited and designated areas to use drugs, if you feel that they should be legalized?

Yes.

4. Which drugs should not be legalized, if any?

meth, coke, heroin

5. Do you believe that the legalization of certain drugs in the United States would increase the risk of drug-related deaths due to health concerns like overdose?

Yes.

6. If you do believe that the legalization of drugs will increase health-related risks, do you think the overall result will still prove to be beneficial because of the possible decrease in drug-related violence?

No, dead is still dead no matter how you got there. More dead Americans does not make up for a reduced number of dead Mexicans, just as more dead Mexicans will not make up for less Americans dying

7. Can you think of other benefits, if any, aside from a possible decrease in violence, that could help the United States and Mexico?

Tax revenue, especially here in CA

8. Are there any illegal drugs that you consider to be more dangerous than cigarettes?

Tough to say, but I would say meth is a terrifyingly dangerous drug

9. In your experience, is it easy to come into contact with illegal drugs?

Yes. Very easy. High school students have an easier time trying to score coke and smack than they do booze.

10. Do you have any experience regarding the current Mexican Drug War? If so, could you share your stories?

Thankfully, no.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    I'm still waiting for Jack White to finally admit that he invented the guitar.

Thanks, Greg.

By the way everyone, this paper is not really trying to persuade for the legalization of drugs, but analyzing how it might help and how it might not help.

Young blood

Your drugs just doubled in price.

Sweeping arrests target Mexican drug cartels

By DEVLIN BARRETT – 1 hour ago

WASHINGTON (AP) — Federal agents have rounded up more than 700 suspects in a wide-ranging crackdown on Mexican drug cartels operating inside the United States.

A law enforcement official familiar with the sweep said the arrests culminated in a series of Drug Enforcement Administration raids Tuesday night and Wednesday morning around the country. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because authorities were still gathering evidence.

The operation has led to the arrests of 751 individuals and the seizure of $59 million in suspected criminal proceeds, the official said, though it was not immediately clear how many of the arrests came in the overnight raids.

Attorney General Eric Holder plans to announce results of the crackdown at an afternoon news conference in Washington.

Kidnappings, killings and other violence related to the cross-border drug trade have escalated as heavily armed gangs battle for turf on the doorstep of the U.S. narcotics market.

Through "Operation Xcellerator," as it was dubbed, authorities say they seized more than $59 million in cash, 149 vehicles, three aircraft and three ships used by the cartel.

In terms of drugs, authorities confiscated more than 16,000 pounds of marijuana, 12,000 kilos of cocaine, about 1.3 million Ecstasy pills and significant quantities of other narcotics
    Last edited by Young blood; 02-25-2009 at 11:08 AM.