Page 1 of 48 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: U2 DISCUSSION 2009 will they succeed or fail?

Banned

Default U2 DISCUSSION 2009 will they succeed or fail?

i was watching a U2 live show from 2005 and i started to think about their new album and then hearing they are planning stadium shows in the u.s. and it got me to try to answer a question: will they succeed or fail?

i think this is the year U2 fails for the first time this decade. the album is a ok album but the big tracks are extremely predictable and lame.... usually i enjoy tracks like vertigo and elevation, but this album just seems lackluster.

i also think Bono once again is going to drag U2 into half empty stadiums this year. it happend in 1997. they rushed a record and at the time bono and co were as cocky as they could be and it failed BIG TIME! trust me i did concert security for their 2 stadium shows in oakland. first one: sold out. second one: 1/3 full....

i think the guy is a brilliant songwriter when he gets off that high horse of his.. he says stuff at times that i feel embarrassed for him.. and i think this is the year alot of the younger fans they were able to get to come to the shows will abandon them this year.. they have hit the wall in my opinion and it looks like they are gonnna hit it hard!

they are doing award shows and bad performances at that. and the promotion for the record has been horrible compared to years past.. this is "pop" all over again....

i hate being so negative about one of my top 5 favorites of all time, but my #1 favorite , Prince, went through it big time. he went into myopia and he suffered for it.

it happened to bruce in the mid 90's before he woke up and went back to what worked, the e street band.. same with metallica but they rebounded after they realized less is more.... its just U2 is geting ready to do it for a 2nd time.. 1997 was a lame ass version of U2.

if i had a preference, i wouldnt mind stadium shows but take 4-6 bands with them and embrace the younger bands they influenced. and please dont do the pop tour debacle and bring out a fucking lemon! that was horrible! scale it down, show the crowd how much you sweat and play from the heart.they should try to get booked into a major festival somewhere in the u.s.a.

i just dont see it happening this year... this will be a down year for them the way its going. and for once, i really hope im wrong.....
    Last edited by scoop49er; 02-23-2009 at 02:43 PM.

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

Default Re: U2 DISCUSSION 2009 will they succeed or fail?

So U2 at Coachella?
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Reviewers who note the size of the crowd are dumb fucks.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

Banned

i wish they would play coachella.. right now it seems like they dont wanna work very hard for the album... doing a week on letterman is ok promotion, but they need to grab the concert goers dollar this year. i think they are not doing that and they are gonna bank on the old fans to shell out money for their expensive tour.... i dont know... it will be interesting how they do

the new cd sucks horribly....but their live show will destroy anything, and will sell out in seconds....so....I dont think it will be a failure at all. I hope I can catch a few shows.
    Upcoming Shows:
    Kasabian/Bo Ningen: 10/1 @ Metro
    Coachella: 4/10-12 @ Empire Polo Fields

Last edited by sbessiso; 02-23-2009 at 02:50 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Coyne
    People treat Arcade Fire like they're the greatest thing ever and they get away with it.

LOLLAPALOOZA.

Banned

i think they will sell out shows in major markets but not multiple nights... as long as he keep his self righteous speeches to a minimum (bono, look at the elevation tour, you did well there, keep it there stupid!)

Quote Originally Posted by scoop49er View Post
    i think they will sell out shows in major markets but not multiple nights... as long as he keep his self righteous speeches to a minimum (bono, look at the elevation tour, you did well there, keep it there stupid!)
    I've gotten a lot of shit from people on this board, and my own friends for bashing Bono on this very issue. It is very hard to like Bono, when he is being a self righteous jackass. Also the new album does suck.

You better stay out of this thread Jesse, or it will give you diabetes
    Upcoming Shows:

LOL!!

Banned

when he was young it was refreshing to see someone be political and stand up for something. but perception is everything and now he is in his 40's world famous and the speeches now that were inspiring now become too preachy and that feeling of "i know more than you" attitude. that will turn young fans off. they will relate to someone thier age. bono has lost that and needs to know at the end of the day its about the music he and the rest of u2 have made

Stadiums huh? Where will they play in SF?

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackSwan View Post
    at a men's restroom at union station.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Reviewers who note the size of the crowd are dumb fucks.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackSwan View Post
    Candlestick Park
    Upcoming Shows:

Quote Originally Posted by paulb View Post
    Candlestick Park
    Ewww, that would suck. Stadium shows are balls, and not good balls like mine. It's like scooper's balls bad.

lol
    Upcoming Shows:

Coachella Junkie

U2 has been failing for over a decade. Your thread's a little late.

Banned

blackswan+potvsktl=pussies

As much as Scoop thinks he knows how this is going to be, he has nothing on their venues. Arenas, multiple nights and they will all sell out. better back off before you bite off more than you can chew. stick to your line up speculations ok?

Comebacks are clearly not his thing either.

They aren't his thing cause he knows I'm right. I know the right people for this one, he doesn't.

You maybe confused here. I wasn't referring to the fact that he didn't respond to you.

supre you don't know shit and you know it. Maybe you can garner a small following of fucking toolbags that have no clue who you are. Those of us that have been here for the last three years or more know you're full of shit and have no connections. Please stop acting like you are and go back to speculating Radiohead setlists and scalping tickets.
    RAPE STOVE

white power?!

Quote Originally Posted by kreutz2112 View Post
    supre you don't know shit and you know it. Maybe you can garner a small following of fucking toolbags that have no clue who you are. Those of us that have been here for the last three years or more know you're full of shit and have no connections. Please stop acting like you are and go back to speculating Radiohead setlists and scalping tickets.
    Somebody has sand in their vagina today. Looks like its you.

And thats 4 years, don't try and subtract time. Also, don't assume what you think is fact ok?

"OR MORE"

I have no reason to believe you have any inside info. You have provided no evidence that you have inside info. So, I am just going to assume you don't until you prove me wrong; and until you provide this evidence please stop acting like you are.
    RAPE STOVE

white power?!

Chris is the master of phrasing information that anyone could acquire or hypothesize in a mysterious, Carnac-the-Magnificent type way and passing it off as insider information.

Quote Originally Posted by sbessiso View Post
    I bet when that dude smiles he's got Freddy Mercury teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    U2 has been failing for over a decade. Your thread's a little late.
    All That You Can't Leave Behind isn't bad. it's not great but it's not a fail.

other than that everything after Achtung Baby is dross. that makes it close to two decades.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by scoop49er View Post
    i was watching a U2 live show from 2005 and i started to think about their new album and then hearing they are planning stadium shows in the u.s. and it got me to try to answer a question: will they succeed or fail?

i think this is the year U2 fails for the first time this decade. the album is a ok album but the big tracks are extremely predictable and lame.... usually i enjoy tracks like vertigo and elevation, but this album just seems lackluster.

i also think Bono once again is going to drag U2 into half empty stadiums this year. it happend in 1997. they rushed a record and at the time bono and co were as cocky as they could be and it failed BIG TIME! trust me i did concert security for their 2 stadium shows in oakland. first one: sold out. second one: 1/3 full....

i think the guy is a brilliant songwriter when he gets off that high horse of his.. he says stuff at times that i feel embarrassed for him.. and i think this is the year alot of the younger fans they were able to get to come to the shows will abandon them this year.. they have hit the wall in my opinion and it looks like they are gonnna hit it hard!

they are doing award shows and bad performances at that. and the promotion for the record has been horrible compared to years past.. this is "pop" all over again....

i hate being so negative about one of my top 5 favorites of all time, but my #1 favorite , Prince, went through it big time. he went into myopia and he suffered for it.

it happened to bruce in the mid 90's before he woke up and went back to what worked, the e street band.. same with metallica but they rebounded after they realized less is more.... its just U2 is getting ready to do it for a 2nd time.. 1997 was a lame ass version of U2.

if i had a preference, i wouldnt mind stadium shows but take 4-6 bands with them and embrace the younger bands they influenced. and please dont do the pop tour debacle and bring out a fucking lemon! that was horrible! scale it down, show the crowd how much you sweat and play from the heart.they should try to get booked into a major festival somewhere in the u.s.a.

i just dont see it happening this year... this will be a down year for them the way its going. and for once, i really hope im wrong.....
    Let me stop you right there.

This NOT "Pop" all over again. Have you really listened to the new record - it's all Eno and Lanois, there's no "Discoteche or Mofo anywhere to be found... at all. Hell, even AYCLB is more "Pop" like than this record.

Did you see the Popmart tour? What you are saying is basically what every critic (most of which who didn't even go to see that tour, and a bunch of U2 non-fans) were saying.

While Pop is a weak U2 record it is NOT a bad record. There are really fine moments on it and in all fairness it as gotten a bad rep because critics have to have a low bar somewhere, it used to be Rattle and Hum.

Record promotion: What's not working for you? The free streaming? the TV ads? The guest slot on late night talk shows? Well in these days of the mp3, a lot has killed what you are defining as record promotion, the band, and their record have nothing to do with it. Short of pulling another Vertigo itunes buy/tie in (thankfully no) I'm not sure what you are complaining about here? It's not like they did the press conference in K-Mart right?

Vertigo and Elevation are good U2 tracks not great tracks by any stretch, as live tracks they work ok, but on the last tour both of those fell rather flat.

U2 has always done award shows... even doing the MTV Awards a few times in the past.

Also most of Popmart shows sold well... for the record they played a lot of abnormally huge places, so selling out say Ohio Stadium (115,000 concert capacity) was never in the cards, but that show had just under 75k there.

Betting against ANY band in 2009 - in this climate (economic and music industry) is a safe bet, trying to link said failure to what you call a bad record is not only silly, but wrong.

Maybe I'm just a bit more optimistic?
    Last edited by C DUB YA; 02-23-2009 at 05:45 PM.
    The Glitter Freeze

Coachella 99-10 Vet, the run has ended in 2011

Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    As much as Scoop thinks he knows how this is going to be, he has nothing on their venues. Arenas, multiple nights and they will all sell out. better back off before you bite off more than you can chew. stick to your line up speculations ok?
    The new Rolling Stone confirms that the US tour is in stadiums. Sounds like they are going to use a stage in the center of the field so they can sell "as many cheap tickets as possible to the kids" or something to that effect