Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: 2009 MILE HIGH FESTIVAL INFO.

old school

Default Re: 2009 MILE HIGH FESTIVAL INFO.

Buddy Guy is awesome

so i am actually thinking of going only saturday and both days at mono .. and saturday at mhf, i have not a single conflict and it would be a very killer day ... they did a good job on scheduling imho ... cr****
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

The only love this fest gets is in the Tool thread. I just want to say that I'm really REALLY excited to see The Black Keys.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannahrain View Post
    Will somebody trade their bow ticket for my stern ticket? I have this thing where I get seasick if I'm on the wrong side of the engine room, and it works better with my schedule to be on the front end of the changing time zone.

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

the line up is a disaster...Tool is the only thing worth going to....
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Reviewers who note the size of the crowd are dumb fucks.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

MATT NATHANSON!!!!!!!
    Upcoming Shows:
    Kasabian/Bo Ningen: 10/1 @ Metro
    Coachella: 4/10-12 @ Empire Polo Fields

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCoachellaHellYeah View Post
    the line up is a disaster...Tool is the only thing worth going to....
    And The Black Keys, fool.

Banned

iclips network will have the webcast. looking forward to checking that out and the pitchfork webcast

Quote Originally Posted by scoop49er View Post
    iclips network will have the webcast. looking forward to checking that out and the pitchfork webcast

i have watched that the last two weeks (roth and allgood) and not bad .... broadcast didnt break up but a couple of times and the sound was good although it was coming from good pc speakers but not my sound system ... they are also doing lolla next (i think) ....look for me at mhf cr****

Banned

ill be watching!

elliemchale

Quote Originally Posted by Sleepingrock View Post
    Buddy Guy is awesome
    You're awesome.
    And, don't you forget it.

Banned

i really dug ani difranco... lots of butches in the house for her!

g love is a good band to listen to when ur high!

elliemchale

Quote Originally Posted by scoop49er View Post
    i really dug ani difranco... lots of butches in the house for her!

g love is a good band to listen to when ur high!
    I'd totally go major butch for Ani, even though she'd be a million times more butch than I can ever be.

G Love kinda sucks unless you are very high.

Banned

lol. yeah ani for sure looks the part but really sounded good live. g love was good but then after 30 min of the same groove, i had to get out of the webcast... but it was ok for 30 min.. ben harper was cool until i had to go.... looking forward to some bands today!

Banned

gogol, thievery, and govt mule is good enough for me to hang out today! gonna get pizza and beer and be back in time to watch the sets.. fuck its been hot in sacramento so im staying indoors!

so i just dropped dylan off at the airport with his friends del and carolyn .... we had a fun time yesterday even though i didnt see them most of the day ... saw tommy though a couple of times .... cr****

The murder capital where we murder for capital

Sounds like fun Ron, so how was Tool?

Quote Originally Posted by faxman75 View Post
    Sounds like fun Ron, so how was Tool?
    tight, i dont know names very well but the guys said it was about 15 min short .. i posted pics of yesterday under tool ... i guess they should have gone here ... cr****

Tool was amazing last night....the festival itself was actually better then I thought it was going to be. Here are the pros and cons:

Pros:
    The setup is very well organized. 2 main stages and all the set times staggered so there is no overlap or sound bleed. The fact that the festival has 2 main stages and can go on as late as 2am has a lot of potential behind this.
    The selection of food was much better then Coachella.
    The parking is much more organized, thanks to Dick's being used to large sporting events.
    No ticketmaster (even though we still had crappy fees)

Cons:
    The line up. Granted it was slightly more diverse then last year but this was still very much a Brahs/Hippie festival. Even Rothbury diversified itself compared to last year. If MH really wants to step it up, then it needs to put more meat behind its line up.
    The setting. its just ugly. Its held on the soccer field of a Dick's Sporting good store. No Palm trees, no City views, fuck I couldn't even see the mountains.

Toss Up:
    Drinking is allowed anywhere on the sit. Yes, we know alot of people give APW and Coachella grief about their strict drinking rules, but the great part is you don't have to deal with drunk assholes for the most part. There were alot of smashed brahs and hippies and it can be really annoying.

Overall: soooo much potential here. I really hope that they do something about the line up next year because this has the potential to be a real destination festival.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

Banned

gogol is kicking ass as usual! such a fun band.. i get vegoose 07 flashbacks when there was like 500 people watching them at 12pm getting fucked up!.. good times...

Banned

gogol was great to watch but hardly anyone was watching them . maybe less than 1000 so the crowd wasnt big but they played hard and did a good set... damn the background sux! it does look like a big sports complex.. lame....... oh well...

How were the black keys? Anyone have a setlist?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Coyne
    People treat Arcade Fire like they're the greatest thing ever and they get away with it.

Quote Originally Posted by paulb View Post
    who else did u see that day?
    We saw Matt Nathanson. I didn't really like it. It was the same ol' "Guy with guitar singing about love and trying to be a comedian on stage" thing. Though he did supply my friend and I with Matt Nathanson jokes for the rest of the trip.

Gomez was MUCH better than I expected. I saw some of their set at Bonnaroo and I was really tired and bored. They were good.

Galactic was decent. The first half of the set was kinda dragging. They were more interesting toward the end.

I saw Incubus because I wanted to meet up with my sister and her friends. They weren't good. Played some stuff I was familiar with, but they're not a good live band.

The Black Keys destroyed faces. Fucking awesome set. Patrick came out and helped Tool perform "Lateralus." That was a cool surprise to hear Maynard introduce him. Here's some video I took.

fuckin awesome black keys and tool! bet that was a treat

so Sunday was a bomb...just as I suspected...DIVERSIFY!!

http://www.denverpost.com/music/ci_12873283

arts and entertainment
    Mixed review for Mile High Music Festival
    The Mile High festival drew local and global artists but fewer attendees.
    By John Hendrickson
    The Denver Post
    Posted: 07/20/2009 01:00:00 AM MDT
    Updated: 07/20/2009 10:29:18 AM MDT

David Kern and Karen Sims, both of Denver, lie on the turf Sunday as they listen to music from the Rhapsody Tent at the Mile High Music Festival. Crowds that gathered at Dick's Sporting Goods Park for the weekend festival were smaller than last year's. (John Leyba, The Denver Post )

The Mile High Music Festival, a two-day rock and pop marathon in the fields surrounding Dick's Sporting Goods Park in Commerce City, came and went quietly in its second year.

Despite highly anticipated headlining performances from the likes of Tool, Widespread Panic and Denver locals the Fray, attendance was noticeably smaller than last year. Chuck Morris, president of AEG Live Rocky Mountains, which runs the festival, said Saturday evening that the attendance numbers were on track with the goals.

Although the number of festivalgoers steadily increased throughout both Saturday and Sunday, overcrowding was never a problem. The field in front of Main Stage West remained largely empty throughout most of Sunday.

Weather also was
    not a problem despite a late-evening rain shower.

The 2009 lineup drew equal criticism and praise. Many thought there was too much emphasis on artists most easily classified as "jam bands."

"It definitely wasn't as diverse as last year," said Alex Baker, 23, of Lakewood. Baker noted that last year's headliners, the Dave Matthews Band and Tom Petty, seemed to draw attendees from all over the country.

"It was cool how they tried to give so many local bands a shot," he said, "but I think that the festival really suffered for that reason in the end."

Others were pleased with the local representation on both micro and macro levels.

While bands such as the Fray, DeVotchKa and Boulder's 3OH!3 were given choice time slots Sunday, lesser-known locals such as Gregory Alan Isakov and Paper Bird were given opportunities to perform earlier in the day.

"We really don't have much experience with these big festivals," said 3OH!3 vocalist Nathaniel Motte. 3OH!3 took a break from its summer on the Vans Warped Tour, a traveling festival for smaller pop, punk and ska bands, to perform at Mile High.

Along with the unusually strong local showing, artists came from around the world to perform in the mile-high altitude.

British band The Duke Spirit played to an enthusiastic crowd Saturday afternoon in the Westword tent and Australia's John Butler impressed many Sunday at the FirstBank stage with his complex acoustic guitar playing.

Festival general manager Rob Thomas said that the weekend was "awesome" and "exceeded expectations." "Of course we'll try to make it better next year," Thomas said. "It's a constant process, an evolution."
    like I said before this festival has SOOOO much potential!!! just move away from the jam bands!!!

tnx tommy for what i consider a mostly positive review. being from here of course i am bias .....

other cons : NO FUCKING IN AND OUT that bothers me more then most anything, just like coachella

no camping: sure you can drive and camp somewhere, but not on the grounds .. it is actually big enough, they could do camping, charge of course, and that would change the fest big time

more shade needed: they could make all kind of artsy sort of shade areas and make the fest unique in that way

sound was ok but they could crank it up a bit

if this is going to be a distination fest it needs to be 3 days

pro: for me, it only cost us $19 for a cab back to my home after the show and that is sure better then any ticket. i am not sure i would have wanted any of our krew to drive, i know i couldnt

tommy, on a normal day, you could have seen the rockies really well but we had that damn heat inversion thing like LA basin has so no mountains but usually its pretty cool seeing downtown and the mnts in the backround

so thats a few things ... cr****

oh I have to add, i started counting after I noticed it, there were 17+ people that came up to me and asked me if I had any drugs for sale now that's sort of funny. If my goal was to be unnoticed by the cops or whoever, so I could sit around and smoke a bowl, I guess I did a terrible job .... so more drugs at MHF I guess lol ... cr****

Dear AEG/Paul T/Whoever is responsible for MH,

How about moving this festival to Civic Center park? Clearly the area can handle large events (taste of co, etc.) and the setting would be beautiful for a festival with the capital, downtown and all the greek pillars in the park as a background. It would give the festival much more character then effing Dick Sporting Goods....Parking would even be a piece of cake since you would have to worry about funneling people in and out of there...just something to think about...

Signed,
    Judgy McMarco