Page 46 of 50 FirstFirst ... 41424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,380 of 1495

Thread: All things Depeche Mode

Default Re: All things Depeche Mode

And most of the fans want them to play there again and think it will sell out.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

I don't know why on earth you'd rather see a band in a football stadium instead of an arena, even for nostalgia's sake...but I think that if DM can play 3 nights at Staples Center, it's not that huge of a stretch to believe they could sell out the Rose Bowl. L.A. is their biggest market. Lunatics would probably travel for that too.
    last.fm
    6/15/14 Failure - Glasshouse // 7/9/14 Cloud Nothings/Metz - Roxy
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL
    9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

It would absolutely sell out, especially if they haven't done a show on the west coast in awhile, it was the only show in California, and ESPECIALLY if they got Alan to perform with them.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Ahh Alan.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Those who know me say I'm growing every day
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

Depeche Mode’s ‘Concert For The Masses’ Rose Bowl Show, 25 Years Later

June 18, 2013 10:45 AM

Today marks a historic day in Depeche Mode’s career. Twenty five years ago, on June 18, 1988, the British synth-pop band played the 101st show of their Music For The Masses Tour to more than 65,000 fans at the famed Rose Bowl in Pasadena, Calif. But this show proved to be more special than any of the 100 before it. This show would be dubbed the “Concert for the Masses,” and go down as the band’s most indelible performance.

Thanks to Depeche Mode fan site DM TV Archives, an 18-minute short film was assembled from television news and personal footage boasting several never-before-seen and behind-the-scenes clips from the day of the Rose Bowl concert, which you can watch here.

“This will be a very big occasion for us,” said former member Alan Wilder in a pre-concert press conference (shown in the video). “Not only being the largest but also the most prestigious concert we’ve ever played as a headline act.”

Interviewed just prior to taking the stage, Martin Gore, the band’s chief songwriter admitted, “We’re quite nervous. It’s the biggest event… Biggest crowd we’ve ever played to.” But it is the 101st show [on the tour]. We’re quite rehearsed. We’re quite ready for it.”

According to keyboardist Andrew Fletcher, the band’s biggest audience to date had been 40,000. The Rose Bowl audience would dwarf that number by at least 25,000. The show coincided with the 10th anniversary of KROQ, which had been a longtime Depeche Mode supporter.

“Every other radio station in SoCal mocked us on the air saying, ‘Depeche Mode should be at the Palladium not at a stadium’ and in truth behind the scenes we were all nervous,” Richard Blade, a KROQ DJ at the time of the show, recounted to Radio.com. “I drove into the vast empty arena with Depeche Mode on an overcast February morning to announce the concert and the tickets on sale, and after the live broadcast had concluded I had breakfast with the band and Martin Gore confided in me that he was nervous and hoped they could at least sell out the floor seats – just 10,000 tickets.”

The concert went on sale as planned and was widely considered a sellout.

The concert also featured ’80s alt icons O.M.D., Wire and Thomas Dolby. Interviewed just minutes before they were set to go on stage, Andy McCluskey and Paul Humphreys of O.M.D. admitted that they were rather nervous. “This is the largest gig we’ve done in America,” Humphreys added.

At the close of the show, the enthusiastic crowd sung the chorus to “Everything Counts” for nearly ten minutes after the band said their goodbyes.

“I sang ‘Everything Counts’ with 65,000 other people as the concert ended, and I felt like I was part of something unique and special, something that would never happen again,” recalled actor Wil Wheaton (best known for his role on Star Trek: The Next Generation) on his blog. “Over the years, I’ve run into other people who were at the same show, and even the ones who weren’t fifteen and given to over-romanticizing things tell me that they felt the same thing.”

“They knew this was a milestone for them and for KROQ, and for two hours they pulled out all the stops and left everything on the stage,” Blade explained. “Backstage, after their amazing performance, I chatted with [singer] Dave Gahan as he cried from pure happiness. He told me that the tears were because he didn’t know if the group could ever pull off anything this great again and for him it was the most emotional concert of his career.”

Blade met up with Gahan a year later in Florida and reminisced about the show. “Dave said, ‘It wasn’t just an important show for D’Mode it was an important show for new music in America.’”

A live album of Depeche Mode’s historic Rose Bowl performance, titled 101, was released in 1989 and available on iTunes. The performance was made into a concert film, also titled 101, which is now a bit hard to find but available here (or in full on YouTube, surprisingly).

Depeche Mode is currently touring the world in support of their 13th album, Delta Machine. The band is scheduled to play 20 U.S. dates beginning with in Detroit’s DTE Energy Theatre on August 13.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

That live 101 album was what turned me on to to Depeche Mode in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

If anybody has any tickets for the Staples shows they might be willing to part with, lemme know.
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Look, your parenting is yours and Randy's business alone.
    Fans of TheLastGreatMan Accessory Shop

Buying tickets over the course of 3 pre sales on AXS for my ticket is my personal holocaust
    last.fm
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL

Quote Originally Posted by thelastgreatman View Post
    If anybody has any tickets for the Staples shows they might be willing to part with, lemme know.
    I have an extra hard ticket for the Saturday 9/28 show. It is section 209 row 10. I paid $125 face value for it including fees. I am willing to let it go for $115. If anyone is interested let me know and send me a PM. thanks.

Amazing show. Just saw them in Toronto tonight. Fabulous

molson-amphitheatre-toronto-canada

1. Welcome to My World
    2. Angel
    3. Walking in My Shoes
    4. Precious
    5. Black Celebration
    6. Policy of Truth
    7. Should Be Higher
    8. Barrel of a Gun
    9. The Child Inside
    10. But Not Tonight
    (Acoustic: Sung by Martin)
    11. Heaven
    12. Soothe My Soul
    13. A Pain That I'm Used To
    (Jacques Lu Cont's Remix version)
    14. A Question of Time
    15. Enjoy the Silence
    16. Personal Jesus

Encore:
    17. Home
    (Acoustic)
    18. Halo
    ('Goldfrapp Remix' version)
    19. Just Can't Get Enough
    20. I Feel You
    21. Never Let Me Down Again
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Goddamnit. I want Dave to sing But Not Tonight. That and Here is the House are my favorites on BC.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Won tickets via KCRW to the show this Sunday at Staples... can't wait!
    Coachellas attended: 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 (W1), 2013 (W1)

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Theme night listing:

Thursday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Friday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Saturday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Sunday Night: Boo, I have to go back to my parent's house!
    The level of sheer laziness and pure speculation and confusion about very easily found and well-known things that this board has gotten to is truly confounding.

My boyfriend agreed to go with me to the show, so maybe some of the Phoenix folks will finally meet him. Maybe.

I watched a youtube vid of Martin doing Higher Love and I was pretty excited. It's not acoustic like I thought it would be.

That being said, they've dropped a couple of the new songs from their US setlist; unfortunately, they dropped the two that I love the most (Goodbye and Secret to the End).

My wife and I can't wait for tomorrow - pit at the SB Bowl! For anyone else going:

Doors: 5:00
    Crystal Castles: 6:30
    DM: 7:50
    Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    I'd contribute to this discussion but I'm still busy reminiscing about the halcyon days of punk. You know, the mid-90s.

Didn't even know CC was opening that lol. Are they opening the LA shows as well?
    8/2 & 3 HARD Summer
    8/7 Jagwar Ma @ Santa Monica Pier
    8/15 Echo Park Rising
    8/21 Interpol @ Boulevard Pool
    8/23 & 24 FYF Fest
    9/6 RP Boo @ Los Globos
    9/24 Interpol @ House Of Blues
    9/25 Simian Mobile Disco @ El Rey
    9/26 Wu Tang @ The Forum
    9/27 Hercules & Love Affair @ Lot 613

Yes, CC will be opening L.A. And yes, it's really weird and most of the crowd is going to hate it hahaha.

Saturday can't come soon enough!
    last.fm

Well who is opening in Phoenix?

Crystal Castles as well. They are4 doing Santa Barbara - Phoenix.
    last.fm

Oh good. I finally get to see what the fuss is all about. Too bad I'll be on the lawn though.

Still bitter about the opener situation... Trentemoller opened several European dates and we get Crystal "fucking trainwreck" Castles here.

Well yeah. Trentmoeller would have been better.

If I don't end up going to one of these shows I'm probably going to cry.
    Where's Underworld and Mew? Make it happen GV.

Quote Originally Posted by nosurprises12 View Post
    My wife and I can't wait for tomorrow - pit at the SB Bowl! For anyone else going:

I am going to be there, pit also. I get to meet them! Very excited. I have friends and family coming from out of town so it will be a group of 8 of us. Not to mention at least a dozen other people from high school etc. I know that are going. Should be a fun night.
    This is the single smallest venue on the whole tour. I assume it is because Martin lives here and they recorded the album here. I saw Crystal Castles last year at the Palladium and was not all that impressed. I do not think Alice spitting on the audience will go over that well here if people are not familiar with her style, but it should be amusing to see how it goes over with the usually super mellow SB crowd.
    2014...Pixies San Jose, Queens of the Stone Age Vegas, Flogging Molly Oakland, Beck SB Arlington, Coachella weekend 1, Dum Dum Girls Roxy, The National SB Bowl, X Roxy, X San Luis Obispo, Echo and the Bunnymen Orpheum LA, FYF Los Angeles, Weezer Paso Robles, Queens of the Stone Age MEXICO CITY and the Forum, and every single show at the Santa Barbara Bowl for the 2014 season, good, bad or indifferent

Quote Originally Posted by nosurprises12 View Post

Cool. The Doors are playing at 5:00!
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

Crystal Castles + DM = perfect life
    Quote Originally Posted by fakekvnty View Post
    All you ladybois want inside this pink slip
    Quote Originally Posted by fakekvnty View Post
    You bitchez will all CUM-ba-ya when y'all see my pee-shooter.
    Follow kvn†y on instagram :: "Lorde is my shepherd. I shall not want."

I'm going Saturday & Sunday. Hopefully they make some subtle changes between the shows, if not song choices.
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.