Page 31 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2627282930313233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: All things Depeche Mode

Default Re: Sounds of the Universe 2009

Exciter is their least compelling post-Vince Clarke album for me; too formulaic and stale. I loved Universe though.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

I didn't think much of Universe, but given how good Playing the Angel was, I think Gore still has is somewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by juloxx View Post
    Your stupid

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

i really liked Exciter. i think I probably like Playing The Angel the least.
    last.fm
    6/15/14 Failure - Glasshouse // 7/9/14 Cloud Nothings/Metz - Roxy
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL
    9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by Cookieman908 View Post
    Worst Depeche Mode album ever released? Yeah right. SOTU was infinitely better than Exciter.
    Ooof - I dunno, Cookieman... that's pretty much a coin flip in my book. If anything, Exciter wins because the singles were better...
    14 in a row = 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012a, 2012b, 2013a, 2013b, 2014a, 2014b

Quote Originally Posted by JebusLives View Post
    I didn't think much of Universe, but given how good Playing the Angel was, I think Gore still has is somewhere.
    Agreed!

How about Jen starts the new thread with the next official announcement we get?

Time to start saving again! If they do tour next year I hope we get some more SOF&D songs. I wasn't expecting Fly on the Windscreen last tour so anything is possible.

Man...Exciter? Their worst by a mile. They were just coming back from a long hiatus after Dave's drug/attempted suicide.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best. News. Ever.

I kinda wanna start a thread but only if I can think of a good title
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Coyne
    People treat Arcade Fire like they're the greatest thing ever and they get away with it.

I really liked Exciter when it came out.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Happy Bday Captn!!

http://thequietus.com/articles/08029...gore-interview

Depeche Mode: Work On New LP Begins

As regular Quietus readers will know, we're massively excited by the new album from Vince Clarke and Martin L Gore's VCMG project - SSSS, which comes out on Mute on March 12th, is a brilliant ten tracks of chest-out techno pop - proper Essex-boy bangers. Last week, we spoke to Martin L Gore for a forthcoming Quietus feature on VCMG, and asked him how recording SSSS might impact the future of Depeche Mode.

"It's was a nice break for me to be able to go and do something completely different that doesn't involve poring over lyrics and having to think about vocal melodies," Gore told us, adding that the VCMG experience has rejuvenated him as he starts writing for Depeche Mode's thirteenth studio album. "I think I went back to actually writing for the band with much more vigour afterwards, because I had taken such a break. It gave me a real creative impetus."

However, he continued, you're unlikely to hear a techno-influenced Depeche Mode album any time soon. "I went straight from finishing the VCMG record into writing for the band," he said. "I think even though I used a lot of the same kind of instrumentation, I immediately went into a completely different headspace. The stuff I've been doing for the band is completely different to VCMG."

This is in part, said Gore, due to his love of instrumentation as well as synthesisers. "Apart from the fact that I came back to the actual songwriting with more energy, you have to remember as well that I'm also a guitar player," he said. "Working on the VCMG record, obviously I didn't look at a guitar for that whole period because it just wasn't right - so the moment I started getting back to writing songs for the band then I'm picking up the guitar, I'm going on the piano, working on chords, just working completely differently."

Gore tells us that Depeche Mode are due to enter the studio at the end of March, and are "hoping to be finished by the end of the year." For now, please meet 'Spock'.

Huh. Sounds like it might be more guitar driven, a'la SOFAD.

If they got Alan to produce it, I'd pee my pants.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

VCMG singles are good.

Album is streaming live here

God damn, thats a great fuckin song. Does the rest of the album sound like that?
    Upcoming Shows:
    Kasabian/Bo Ningen: 10/1 @ Metro
    Coachella: 4/10-12 @ Empire Polo Fields

Yeah, pretty much. It's nice and dark.

This album is fucking GOOD.
    last.fm
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL

7/10 songs through...wow! At this moment...Album of the year!
    Upcoming Shows:
    Kasabian/Bo Ningen: 10/1 @ Metro
    Coachella: 4/10-12 @ Empire Polo Fields

Yeah, they've put together a great album. Would love a mini DJ tour around it. Probably not happening since Vince is still doing Erasure stuff this summer and Martin is recording with Depeche...but still....

VCMG's 'Ssss': Martin Gore, Vince Clarke reunite for techno album
    Martin Gore and former Depeche Mode band mate Vince Clarke reunite as VCMG for 'Ssss.' Don't expect it to sound like 'Speak & Spell.'

By Matt Diehl, Special to the Los Angeles Times
    March 14, 2012

"It seems natural we'd do something like this, but it was definitely unexpected," explains Martin Gore of "Ssss," the debut album by VCMG, released Tuesday on Mute Records. "Unexpected" is putting it mildly: VCMG provides the acronymous moniker for a duo no one ever expected to reunite, and especially not in this form.
    Gore serves as primary songwriter for pioneering electronic-rock superstars Depeche Mode; he replaced fellow founding member Vince Clarke in that role. Clarke departed Depeche Mode after writing the majority of the band's 1981 debut album, "Speak & Spell," and went on to form the equally trendsetting outfits Yaz and Erasure.
    Since then, he and Gore have had nearly zero contact, making this union even more surprising. "I got an email from Vince completely out of the blue," Gore elaborates. "He said he was thinking about making a techno album and wanted to know if I was interested in collaborating with him."

"Ssss" is composed entirely of all-instrumental club bangers, each song pumping with a relentless 4/4 thump that would set alight any contemporary dance floor — not what you'd expect from musicians in their 50s.
    Then again, both Clarke and Gore have always been ahead of their time. After blazing the trail for '80s New Wave synth-pop, Depeche Mode under Gore's stewardship went on to rewrite the rules for what defines a rock band.

Combining plaintive guitars with futuristic synthesizers, technological grooves and the tortured gothic soul of vocalist Dave Gahan, the band would grow into arena-filling superstars on the heels of edgy yet universal hits like "Personal Jesus" and "People Are People."

"Depeche Mode's stature in pop and electronic music is, without question, formidable," says Jason Bentley, music director of KCRW-FM and also a well-known club DJ. "They've always used the spirit and credibility of electronic music to inform their own. Not everyone can inhabit the alt-rock world while remaining significant in the clubs, but they've been smart enough to push the envelope, all while writing great songs that define the band. Even their name translated from the French means roughly 'the next style.'"
    Detroit techno forefathers like Carl Craig and Derrick May have all reflected the influence of Clarke and Gore's sound in their own music. "What [Clarke and Gore] did was so revolutionary," says Richie Hawtin, a titan of the Detroit techno scene and iconic superstar DJ who often records under the pseudonym Plastikman. "They were so great at bookending pop songs with an experimental, underground approach.... Without them, there would be no Plastikman, and they haven't rested on their laurels yet."

And without Plastikman, there would be no VCMG. According to Clarke, the impetus came about in 2010 when Hawtin approached him to remix the Plastikman track "Elektrostatik." "I'd had no exposure to techno whatsoever — and when I first heard Plastikman, I thought it was dull and repetitive!" Clarke says and laughs. "Doing the remix, however, got me exploring that sound: I would go on [dance-music website] Beatport and find all this stuff! It was a completely new world for me — I couldn't believe the incredible sounds people were producing."

He found a willing partner in Gore, who had actually been a techno aficionado and DJ for years: Whenever Depeche Mode tours, the music between sets is actually a mix of Gore's latest techno favorites. "The people that went to make house and techno were quite influenced by the way we made music," adds Gore. "With VCMG, it's just us stripping back the songs and going back to the basics."
    The "Ssss" album was actually created in the most contemporary of fashions. Beginning in the fall of 2010, Clarke and Gore communicated entirely via email and file sharing; they worked alone in their respective studios in Maine and Santa Barbara, layering the tracks with an armada of analog synths until finished. The duo didn't speak until the album was complete.

They finally met up face to face in May 2011 at London's Short Circuit festival commemorating the legacy of Erasure and Depeche Mode's longtime label, Mute Records. "It was quite a moving experience, how they got together after all this time," says Mute Records founder Daniel Miller. "At the same time, it was no big deal — it just happened."
    In the flesh, Gore appears very much the rock star you've seen on stage and in videos, sporting stylish, body-conscious clothes, tight curls trimmed into a semi-mohawk, and tanned skin glowing from the sun of his adopted California home. Clarke, however, comes off like the rustic New Englander he's become with his shaved head, faded jeans and heavy winter coat; only earrings dangling from both ears hint at his counterculture status. "Martin definitely brought a darker depth to things, whereas I'm more of a chippy guy," Clarke says of the differences between the two. "That's what made the collaboration interesting."

What comes next for the duo is unclear. There are no VCMG live shows planned, as Gore is gearing up to record a new Depeche Mode album; Clarke is in no hurry to add anything new to his plate, having come off of a Yaz reunion tour straight into a new Erasure album and 86-date jaunt last year. The experience of working together has clearly affected them, however. "I've really enjoyed this whole project, which was completely different from anything I'd done before," Gore says. "It made me go back to writing again with a bit more energy." "Through this, I've come to rediscover the joy of using my two hands, rather than just staring at a screen for hours and using a bloody mouse," Clarke says. "It's all part of the process."
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

No tour...booo.

Progressive techno pop

You really just can't go wrong with Dave's voice.

"It's time..."

I like Soulsavers. It would be awesome if it somehow led to a Dave Gahan and Mark Lanegan collaboration. Those are two crazy voices.
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

hahahaha this is awesome
    last.fm

Well...yeah. THey always tour their new albums...with the exception of Ultra.

They skipped that to do the Singles tour the year after, yeah?
    last.fm