Page 37 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3233343536373839404142 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,110 of 1495

Thread: All things Depeche Mode

Default Re: All things Depeche Mode

Quote Originally Posted by Electrotek View Post
    Didn't Spiritualized open up for them too in the U.S. or was that only for their European tour in the early 90s?
    Not in the US.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

When are they going to announce the North American tour?

Probably in the next couple weeks.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

I'd suspect right around the album release date.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

The release of a new studio album is business as usual for Depeche Mode, which has, like clockwork, issued a new full-length and embarked on a coinciding tour every four years since 1993. Yet their 13th studio set, "Delta Machine," due Mar. 26 on its new label home Columbia Records, was created under unusual circumstances for the veteran alt-rock group. After years of well-documented infighting, the members, including frontman Dave Gahan and chief songwriter Martin Gore, were downright giddy working with each other.

Speaking to Billboard while sitting in a New York caf, Depeche Mode frontman Dave Gahan admits that his health struggles during the band's last tour supporting 2009's "Sounds of the Universe," which included a severe bout of gastroenteritis and the removal of a malignant tumor from his bladder, helped him appreciate working with Gore and multi-instrumentalist Andy Fletcher more than ever before. "I didn't really take in that I had felt pretty sick and managed to get through that," says Gahan, whose band grossed more than $72 million from 59 shows from the Tour of the Universe trek, according to Billboard Boxscore. "So when the tour was over, I spent a little time reflecting on that."

Before Depeche Mode releases "Delta Machine" later this month and kicks off a 34-date European stadium tour on May 7 in Tel Aviv, Gahan spoke with Billboard about promoting an album in 2013, his ambitious touring plans and why the new album marks the end of a trilogy.

Billboard: Your last tour, the "Tour of the Universe," was incredibly ambitious and highly successful. When you're getting this new stage show together, is it daunting to have to follow that up?

Gahan: You know, I don't really feel like that anymore. There was definitely a time in my life where I was like, "You've got to be bigger, faster, stronger, better." Over the years, this being our 13th studio album working on this record somehow felt like a new thing. Martin and I were really on the same page what we were doing writing-wise, and we just really came together, so it was a really enjoyable experience to do. As far as the tour goes, on the last tour there were lots of ups and downs personally. Physically, I had some problems -- I got sick for a bit and I got through that. Then I had some other problems with my voice, which I think all has to do with the fact that I was struggling to try and get my body back together after being diagnosed with cancer, unfortunately, at the beginning of that tour. Every time we took a break, I went back to the hospital for some more treatment, so it was a bit of an uphill battle. But the tour itself and the shows themselves were absolutely extraordinary. Talk about a mixture that lifts your spirits!

This tour, we've got some ambitious plans. We're starting out pretty large in Europe, going to some big stadiums for a bunch of shows, and then we come back to the States and go into more reasonable sized venues, lots of arenas, and that brings us close to Christmas. We're already now planning another European leg and then definitely South America and possibly Asia. Then I think we're planning to come back to America, and some more festivals in Europe in the summer of 2014.

How long ago were you and Martin conceptualizing the songs for "Delta Machine"?

At the end of the last tour, we just kind of go our separate ways. We give each other a big hug and go, really; We never really make any plans after that. It was shortly after that, a few months after, Martin caught me up in an email, and I told him I was writing and I was doing a Soulsavers thing. And Martin ended up going doing the [VCMG] thing with Vince Clarke, so it worked well, and I think that of inspired him, too. I would say toward the end of the year after the "Sounds of the Universe" tour, it took about a year or 9 months. I started writing in my studio in New York, gathering with my friend Kurt Uenala, who actually co-wrote all the songs on Delta Machine with me. I was going in, singing, and working out stuff with the the Soulsavers and he came up with ideas and we started writing stuff on the side, Depeche stuff.

The first single, "Heaven," is a curveball. Why did you want a song with a slower tempo to lead off the album?

To be honest, we were all gung-ho on the track "Angel," which is a little more aggressive and a little more typical of what you'd expect from a first record. Then we tracked stuff ahead of it, and I personally feel like ["Heaven"] is one of the best songs Martin's written in many, many years, for many reasons. It's just one of those songs that makes me want to continue making music, long story short. As soon as I heard it, I was excited to sing it. When I actually got into singing it and we started recording it, I felt like it was a piece of work that set a standard for the record.

During the first couple of sessions, at least I felt pressure from some other people to what should be the first single. Like I said, at first we thought Angel really, but I thought, "I just think this is the best song." It was agreed upon that it was the best song, and that was really the reason. We weren't really thinking it won't get played on the radio; it won't be this or that. It represented a shift in where we are, who we are as people -- I don't know, just a change. It's just pretty much a straight-ahead sort of blues-y, gospel-y track and I think that's where the comparisons are drawn to "Songs of Faith and Devotion" and certainly "Violator."

Depeche Mode has been releasing music consistently for 30 years, but even since "Sounds of the Universe" was released in 2009, social media and the way an album is promoted has drastically changed. How aware are you of these types of shifts?

I'm very aware of it. I think Martin is very aware of it too. Martin is very into technology, and he's amazed by the Internet and the fact that the world is really at your fingertips. He definitely had embraced that -- I, not so much. I'm a little skeptical. I don't spend a lot of time on my computer and stuff I don't really buy into it. I don't buy into the fact we have to be contained by it in terms of what we do artistically. Sadly, I think one bad side of it is [the loss of] a lot of that mystery, and some of that specialness. When I was growing up in the early 70s and really getting into music, waiting outside the record store for that 45, waiting for a single from The Dead, The Clash, David Bowie, or T-Rex or something to be there. There was something about that that was so special. Waiting for the album, waiting for the artwork to maybe find out what the band looked like -- that, these days, sadly is gone, because we find out everything we want to know about a person in a second.

It was good on this record to kind of have Flood back on board and have Flood mixing the record -- that technology was good there, because Martin and I would get on Skype with him and he'd be in London mixing while we were in New York still recording. That's the only way we'd communicated with him! We did not spend any time in the studio with him. I think this record as well is the end of a trilogy of records that we're doing with Ben Hillier. He produced the last three records, including this one [and 2005's "Playing The Angel" and 2009's "Sounds of the Universe"], and this one, for me, got to where we were trying to go with the first one. "Sounds of the Universe" was certainly more landscape-y, more filmic, and I think this was more of a combination of the two elements there. It's very driven, it's very out front, and it still has some of those kinds of dreamy qualities to it as well.

It sounds like the recording of this album was an incredibly enjoyable experience.

Look, we went through a lot together on the last tour, and probably the one before that and the one before that. When you're together with people for more than 30 years, there are bound to be ups and downs, things that bother you and things that you celebrate together. This one feels kind of like that. Martin's in a really great place; really in great shape, great health; excited about this record. He and I, we're both in that place where we're in awe of life at the moment, and what it is and what it still offers us. We never know if we're going to do another record together -- we don't really talk about it. We're planning a big tour that is going to go on towards the end of the summer of 2014. When I actually think about that now, it sounds daunting, but I want to enjoy it. You never know if there is going to be another one
    Coming back to America before summer 2014 Euro festival shows just screams Coachella to me.
    Last edited by captncrzy; 03-08-2013 at 12:23 PM.

Coachella is not quite summer, but hopefully that is what it means.
    Because fucking millenials that's what

You forgotto bold the part that describes what Fletch actually does in the band....

Glasto sounds like a solid bet next year.

I think "summer" is referring to the Euro festivals, not the second US leg.

http://www.depechemode.com/the-delta...-american-leg/

THE DELTA MACHINE WORLD TOUR – NORTH AMERICAN TOUR DATES

Thursday, Aug. 22 – Detroit, MI – DTE Energy Music Theatre

Saturday, Aug. 24 – Chicago, IL – First Midwest Bank Amphitheatre

Tuesday, Aug. 27 – St. Paul, MN – Minnesota State Fair**

Sunday, Sep. 1 – Toronto, ON – Molson Canadian Amphitheatre

Tuesday, Sep. 3 – Montreal, QB – Bell Centre

Friday, Sep. 6 – Brooklyn, NY – Barclays Center

Sunday, Sep. 8 – Wantagh, NY – Nikon at Jones Beach Theater

Tuesday, Sep. 10 – Washington DC – Jiffy Lube Live

Thursday, Sep. 12 – Atlanta, GA – Aaron’s Amphitheatre at Lakewood

Saturday, Sep. 14 – Tampa, FL – Live Nation Amphitheatre at the Florida State Fairgrounds

Sunday, Sep. 15 – Ft Lauderdale, FL – BB&T Center

Wednesday, Sep. 18 – Houston, TX – Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion

Friday, Sep. 20 – Dallas, TX – Gexa Energy Pavilion

Sunday, Sep. 22 – San Diego, CA – Sleep Train Amphitheatre

Tuesday, Sep. 24 – Santa Barbara, CA – Santa Barbara Bowl

Thursday, Sep. 26 – Mountain View, CA – Shoreline Amphitheatre

Saturday, Sep. 28 – Los Angeles, CA – STAPLES Center

Sunday, Sep. 29 – Los Angeles, CA – STAPLES Center

Tuesday, Oct. 8 – Phoenix, AZ – Desert Sky Pavilion

** Minneapolis is not part of the Amazon presale opportunity.

Hmmmm no Salt Lake or Denver yet . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

That venue in Phoenix is outdoor and much smaller than where they usually play.

Probably playing ACL, and more dates will come after that, I'd guess.

That's what it looks like to me, except I suspect they'll move on to Mexico/South America. Take an Xmas break, go back to Euro, hit Asia. Back here in the Spring.

Great, now some bs presale with amazon? Always a catch

Yeah, what the fuck is that? Never seen that before. Haven't seen any info on a fan presale yet, although I can't get onto the site.

Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    Great, now some bs presale with amazon? Always a catch
    lol how cheap are you...

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Yeah, what the fuck is that? Never seen that before. Haven't seen any info on a fan presale yet, although I can't get onto the site.
    TOUR PRESALES:

• CITI:

Citi® cardmembers will have access to presale tickets beginning Monday, April 1st at 10 AM local time through Citi’s Private Pass® Program. For complete presale details visit www.citiprivatepass.com.

• Amazon.com:

While supplies last eligible fans who pre-order or purchase Depeche Mode’s new album Delta Machine on or before April 1, 2013 on Amazon.com will receive a unique presale code good for early access to purchase up to two tickets for their upcoming North American tour. Early access using the presale codes is available between Wednesday, April 3, 2013 at 10 AM local time and Friday, April 5, 2013 at 10PM local time. Please note concert tickets and presale codes are subject to availability and the presale code does not guarantee tickets to the concert or price level of your choice.

• FACEBOOK:

Beginning today, fans can RSVP to the Facebook presale by visiting http://bit.ly/DMRSVP for access to presale tickets beginning Thursday, April 4th, at 10 AM local time.

• LIVE NATION MOBILE:

Live Nation mobile app users will have access to presale tickets on Friday, April 5th at 10 AM. Mobile users can text “LNAPP” to 404040 to download the Live Nation mobile app. (Available for iOS and Android.)

All presales end at 10 PM local time on Friday, April 5th.

9/16 Seth Troxler @ Standard
    9/17 Ty Segall @ Webster
    9/18 Kode 9 @ Verboten
    9/19 The Replacements @ Forest Hills Stadium
    9/20 There Will Be Blood Live @ United Palace

Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

I wish they were playing the arena in Tampa, but w/e it's Depeche Mode and I will be there.

Jesus Christ four different presales?! I'll probably take advantage of the Amazon one to get a pair to the SB date as that venue has the lowest capacity of the SoCal dates.
    Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    I'd contribute to this discussion but I'm still busy reminiscing about the halcyon days of punk. You know, the mid-90s.

Wait til they Announce the vegas date at the pearl. At least they didnt do it with itunes and best buy on top of amazon.

I'm really hoping that Vegas one is on Saturday night before the Phoenix show. I'll go to that one and then just get cheap seats to the Phoenix one.

Don't see the amazon offer on their website...

Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    Wait til they Announce the vegas date at the pearl.
    Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    I'd contribute to this discussion but I'm still busy reminiscing about the halcyon days of punk. You know, the mid-90s.

I have a CitiCard and have had the vinyl preordered at Amazon for weeks now, so I guess I'm good. Detroit venue is horrible though.
    2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012b, 2013a, 2014a

Any chance they might play that new fall festival in Vegas, Life is Beautiful??

It's possible I guess. There isn't much info on that festival available. Their facebook page is cluttered with showcase shit.

From an article last month:

City leaders next week will consider plans to turn a vacant, three-acre lot on Fremont Street into the home of the Life Is Beautiful Festival, a Downtown Project-supported event scheduled for October.
    The city’s Planning Commission is scheduled to review a zoning variance request to allow a change in fencing at 902 and 916 Fremont St., a 2.75-acre plot where the Ambassador East used to stand. The land is part of 6.2 acres Downtown Project investors purchased for $7.9 million in September 2012.

Downtown Project sources say festival organizers want to use the Fremont East District acreage for the festival, which has been described as a two-day event melding music, food and art. It has also previously been described as potentially running out of multiple indoor and outdoor spaces. Rehan Choudhry told Las Vegas Weekly, the Sun’s sister publication, that musical acts to be considered would include headliners to up-and-coming performers.

Paul Cline, of the Downtown Project’s real estate team, said late Tuesday the plan was for the site to become a large parking lot that would double as space for festivals five to six times per year.

The site, which takes up an entire block, sits at the northwest corner of 10th and Fremont streets and is directly north of The Atomic, one of the oldest taverns in downtown Las Vegas. The Atomic was purchased last summer and is expected to reopen this spring.

Roughly a dozen palm trees grow throughout the lot; curbs jut a few inches from the asphalt where parking used to abut the old Ambassador East. And while downtown’s redevelopment is creeping eastward, it hasn’t yet reached these blocks of Fremont. Tuesday morning, people walked here and there, and one man offered to sell crystal meth. The nearest construction activity was two to three blocks east at Seventh and Fremont, where ground is being graded for the downtown Container Park.

Read more: http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2013...#ixzz2NGWH9VoZ

Quote Originally Posted by Electrotek View Post
    http://www.depechemode.com/the-delta...-american-leg/

THE DELTA MACHINE WORLD TOUR – NORTH AMERICAN TOUR DATES

Thursday, Aug. 22 – Detroit, MI – DTE Energy Music Theatre

Saturday, Aug. 24 – Chicago, IL – First Midwest Bank Amphitheatre

Tuesday, Aug. 27 – St. Paul, MN – Minnesota State Fair**

Sunday, Sep. 1 – Toronto, ON – Molson Canadian Amphitheatre

Tuesday, Sep. 3 – Montreal, QB – Bell Centre

Friday, Sep. 6 – Brooklyn, NY – Barclays Center

Sunday, Sep. 8 – Wantagh, NY – Nikon at Jones Beach Theater

Tuesday, Sep. 10 – Washington DC – Jiffy Lube Live

Thursday, Sep. 12 – Atlanta, GA – Aaron’s Amphitheatre at Lakewood

Saturday, Sep. 14 – Tampa, FL – Live Nation Amphitheatre at the Florida State Fairgrounds

Sunday, Sep. 15 – Ft Lauderdale, FL – BB&T Center

Wednesday, Sep. 18 – Houston, TX – Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion

Friday, Sep. 20 – Dallas, TX – Gexa Energy Pavilion

Sunday, Sep. 22 – San Diego, CA – Sleep Train Amphitheatre

Tuesday, Sep. 24 – Santa Barbara, CA – Santa Barbara Bowl

Thursday, Sep. 26 – Mountain View, CA – Shoreline Amphitheatre

Saturday, Sep. 28 – Los Angeles, CA – STAPLES Center

Sunday, Sep. 29 – Los Angeles, CA – STAPLES Center

Tuesday, Oct. 8 – Phoenix, AZ – Desert Sky Pavilion

** Minneapolis is not part of the Amazon presale opportunity.

WTF no Boston?

I'll cry for you and your three dozen Springsteen concerts every year.

Quote Originally Posted by Miroir Noir View Post
    I'll cry for you and your three dozen Springsteen concerts every year.
    I'll trade you two Boss shows at Fenway for an add-on Depeche Mode at the Gahden on Sept 4 or 5th.

Boo, no Honda Center this time.
    Hey here's an idea. You know those people who are desperately poor, down on their luck, uneducated, abused, and generally ill-equipped for life? Let's make fun of them.