Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The DMB Game, bra! (Or the real problem with the American music scene)

Default The DMB Game, bra! (Or the real problem with the American music scene)

Now, I know I'm not the first person and I sure won't be the last to think that the Dave Matthews Band is both an abomination and an insult to music. But I do feel that this is very important to keep in mind because not only does the DMB suck but they have managed to "inspire" legions of the worst bands of our generation. Let's forget about the popular acts that followed in Dave's footsteps or are normally associated with him (like Johnny Mayer or O.A.R.).

No, let's focus on all of the local acts that pay homage to Davey. You know the bands I'm talking about. The kind that play in bars or university lounges wearing their polo shirts, frayed baseball caps, and trendy bead necklaces. They strum their acoustic guitars and sing all-too literal, melodramatic lyrics to try and convince the ladies in the audience that they're sensitive and introspective when really they're just whining about some blonde girl they couldn't get drunk enough to sleep with. These bands are Dave's bastard children and their existence and devotion to Dave's non-offensive, sappy alt-rock are the real reasons that the DMB should be forced to dissolve.

Need proof? Play this game with me. Do a google search for bands influenced by or sounds like Dave Matthews (they have to at least mention the DMB somewhere on their site). Try to find some in your own area and list at least three on this thread. Trust me, this won't be tough there are hundreds of 'em. If some of you play then I feel we'll have a long list of some of the worst bands on the planet and (if the list is considerable) I plan to send it to Dave with a note demanding he break-up his band. I don't expect a reply, but maybe it will get me on some kind of watch list.

To start off the game, here are five I either knew about or found:

Cure for Static (www.cureforstatic.com): These fellas are the inspiration for this game. They handed my brother a demo while he was innocently walking downtown. One thing to notice is how they also claim to be influenced by Incubus which is a common trend with these bands. I think Incubus and DMB might be parenting crappy bands together without knowing it.

Matt Shwachman Band (www.mattshwachman.com): Just like the Pete Kilpatrick Band below, Matt Shwachman liked the DMB formula so much that he didn't even try to come up with an actual name for his band. Why should he? He's the Dave of his own universe.

Pete Kilpatrick Band (www.petekilpatrick.com): I have a special place in my disdain for Pete here. Apparently he's the great alt-rock hope up here in New England and every alternative radio station and record store is forced to shove him down our throats. His music is completely derivative and I hope he gets dropped by his label soon.

Skookum (www.projectopus.com/skookum): These guys are in a league of their own. They also take influence from Kiss and Styx and pledge their allegiance to riffs. Rock on guys...

Ryan Mitchell-Smith (http://orangeunsignedact.co.uk/acts/...tchell-smith): This guy is proof that the DMB aren't just an American problem but a world problem. Ryan is a UK artist who almost rips off the Matthews/Mayer sound note for note. I encourage my UK brethren to take some sort of action.

Even if you don't play the game (hell, I'm probably the only one who would waste my time like this), I hope I've made you aware of the problem. Are we really going to let music turn into this?

Default Re: The DMB Game, bra! (Or the real problem with the American music scene)

Dave Matthews Band has produced some great works. How the hell do you think they inspired pseudo-DMBs in the first place?

EDIT FOLLOW-UP: In short, DMB are not the problem. It's the wide mass of others trying to sound like them. But DMB have made some beautiful songs.
    Last edited by Alchemy; 02-21-2009 at 01:29 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

Default Re: The DMB Game, bra! (Or the real problem with the American music scene)

Quote Originally Posted by Alchemy View Post
    Dave Matthews Band has produced some great works. How the hell do you think they inspired pseudo-DMBs in the first place?

EDIT FOLLOW-UP: In short, DMB are not the problem. It's the wide mass of others trying to sound like them. But DMB have made some beautiful songs.
    I'll grant you that the problem may run deeper than just the DMB existing, and you're completely entitled to your opinion about Dave's muzak. However, the apples aren't too far from the tree in my estimation.

Quote Originally Posted by Malachi the Toad View Post
    I'll grant you that the problem may run deeper than just the DMB existing, and you're completely entitled to your opinion about Dave's muzak. However, the apples aren't too far from the tree in my estimation.
    DMB is certainly not a Coachella-esque band; so to put it in a better perspective for all.

If there were a lot of little bands popping up trying to be like Radiohead, Prince, or Portishead; I'm sure we'd be just as sick of it. Compared to Radiohead, Prince, and Portishead, Dave Matthews Band is the most accessible to the mainstream masses, therefore, their spawn has a bigger voice than the bands trying to sound like Radiohead, Prince, or Portishead, which means we have to deal with their annoyance. I don't blame DMB for their spawn. The spawn is not intentional. Nobody blames Radiohead for the existence of Coldplay, after all.

That being said, pre-Busted Stuff DMB is wildly awesome. The singles were never too great, but everything else is great.
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

DMB puts on a great live show and I think Dave's voice shows incredible emotion in many songs.

Good musicianship, too. It's not their fault that they're imitated poorly or liked by annoying fans. All bands have that kind of following to some extent.

I would rather listen to meg white lightly strum a single out of tune chord for days on end than dave matthews doing anything, ever.

Can we extend this to include that heavy/angry grunge metal kind of genre? Evans Blue? Smile Empty Soul? Staind? Puddle of Mudd?

Mar. 16: Simian Mobile Disco @ Henry Fonda
    Mar. 27: Pelican @ Troubadour
    Apr. 17-19: COACHELLA
    May 2: Yann Tiersen @ El Rey
    May 16: Mogwai @ Orpheum
    May 23: SASQUATCH

Current Obsession: All of a Sudden I Miss Everyone - Explosions in the Sky

Wheelchair Epidemic hawkingvsreeve's Avatar

DMB shit more talent than most of the bands people here like, and that you could ever dream of having. To deny the quality of musicianship that they posses shows not only a lack of understanding of basic musical principles and concepts, but also that you are an ignorant d-bag.

Banned and ignored.
    Quote Originally Posted by obzen View Post
    Giant. Fucking. Bjork. Buttons.
    last.fm

Out of spite, I shall refer to this thread as:

The Dave Matthews Band Appreciation Thread

"#41" is a beautiful song.

"Typical Situation" is a magical song.

"Halloween" is a song that pseudo-DMBs could never write.

"So Right" is a perfect song.

I would not want to listen to this over and over again, if it means I could listen to DMB instead.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkingvsreeve View Post
    DMB shit more talent than most of the bands people here like, and that you could ever dream of having. To deny the quality of musicianship that they posses shows not only a lack of understanding of basic musical principles and concepts, but also that you are an ignorant d-bag.

Banned and ignored.
    I like how whenever I mention how bad a certain band is, morons pop up to mention their "musicianship." What the hell is that supposed to mean? They suck but they suck really well? If it makes you feel better I'll say they're fine musicians. They still play music that makes me want to jam a pencil through my right ear.

You can't ban me and you obviously haven't ignored me. Dumbshit.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister DVNO View Post
    Can we extend this to include that heavy/angry grunge metal kind of genre? Evans Blue? Smile Empty Soul? Staind? Puddle of Mudd?
    Ah, you want to go after Neu Metal and Butt Rock? I approve, but make your own thread.

I like how whenever I mention how bad a certain band is, morons pop up to mention their "musicianship." What the hell is that supposed to mean? They suck but they suck really well?
    Obviously, he's saying that they don't suck. That's what it means. He's saying that you can't recognize good music, and I have to agree. You probably haven't sat down with a Dave Matthews Band album. You've probably only heard some of their singles and are going off of what other people have told you--people who also have not sat down with a DMB album.

Also, who's the real moron? The guy defending a band, or the guy who dislikes a band so much that he looks up other bands that sound like them so that he can show others how he dislikes a band and sends letters to bands asking for them to break up?

I watched all those videos, and I maintain my position. Talented musicians nonetheless.

Obviously, he's saying that they don't suck. That's what it means. He's saying that you can't recognize good music, and I have to agree. You probably haven't sat down with a Dave Matthews Band album. You've probably only heard some of their singles and are going off of what other people have told you--people who also have not sat down with a DMB album.

Also, who's the real moron? The guy defending a band, or the guy who dislikes a band so much that he looks up other bands that sound like them so that he can show others how he dislikes a band and sends letters to bands asking for them to break up?
    The guy defending the band.

The guy defending the band.
    I bet. Well don't let us ruin your game. Go look up other bands that sound like DMB so that you could write about them, since you hate DMB so much.

Although, some advice, when I don't like a certain band, instead of bothering about it, I listen to bands that I do like and move on with my life.

I bet. Well don't let us ruin your game. Go look up other bands that sound like DMB so that you could write about them, since you hate DMB so much.

Although, some advice, when I don't like a certain band, instead of bothering about it, I listen to bands that I do like and move on with my life.
    That's why this is a game. In my real life I own a yacht. Have fun with Dave.

Wheelchair Epidemic hawkingvsreeve's Avatar

You are pathetic. Go fuck yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by obzen View Post
    Giant. Fucking. Bjork. Buttons.
    last.fm

On a more serious note, here's another side to the DMB issue. Would you want a band you listen to associated with something like this:

I know I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister DVNO View Post
    I've never heard of Smile Empty Soul and out of curiosity listened to previews on iTunes.

Abomination

On a more serious note, here's another side to the DMB issue. Would you want a band you listen to associated with something like this:

I know I don't.
    Are you saying your band preferences and likes/dislikes are decided by the views of others?

All music is just harnessed noise. Delineations of good and bad are entirely personal opinions. Some people might have actually loved Jack Whites off key, cracking warble on Conans show.

Quote Originally Posted by Gonshman View Post
    Are you saying your band preferences and likes/dislikes are decided by the views of others?

All music is just harnessed noise. Delineations of good and bad are entirely personal opinions. Some people might have actually loved Jack Whites off key, cracking warble on Conans show.
    Who cares about Jack White? I'm just talkin' about Dave.

What do you guys want? A detailed essay about why I think they suck. Okay, well, first off their music is a complete distillation of the Jam band sound. So if you take the Grateful Dead and water them down you get Phish, if you water that down you get Dispatch, and if you water that down and add a South African, pop-songwriting turd you get the DMB. I've had to suffer entire weekends of having well-meaning yahoos playing the same godawful albums over and over again. It's just pop pap hiding as something more, but since the "musicianship" is so good and Dave sings with "such emotion" everyone buys it.

So a million jerk-offs decided that sound was great and to mold their own terrible bands after it, so not only did I have to hear Dave in my life time but i also got to here all the people who weren't as talented but still wanted to be just like him. Oh yeah, not to mention frat boys love Dave just as much as they love date rape, so that can't be good. Anyway, I've heard them, I know them, and I hate them for all reasons listed above. Satisfied pilgrims?

Quote Originally Posted by Jman4321 View Post
    I've never heard of Smile Empty Soul and out of curiosity listened to previews on iTunes.

Abomination
    The name of the band or the music? Because both fit the description.

Mar. 16: Simian Mobile Disco @ Henry Fonda
    Mar. 27: Pelican @ Troubadour
    Apr. 17-19: COACHELLA
    May 2: Yann Tiersen @ El Rey
    May 16: Mogwai @ Orpheum
    May 23: SASQUATCH

Current Obsession: All of a Sudden I Miss Everyone - Explosions in the Sky

Who cares about Jack White? I'm just talkin' about Dave.

What do you guys want? A detailed essay about why I think they suck. Okay, well, first off their music is a complete distillation of the Jam band sound. So if you take the Grateful Dead and water them down you get Phish, if you water that down you get Dispatch, and if you water that down and add a South African, pop-songwriting turd you get the DMB. I've had to suffer entire weekends of having well-meaning yahoos playing the same godawful albums over and over again. It's just pop pap hiding as something more, but since the "musicianship" is so good and Dave sings with "such emotion" everyone buys it.

So a million jerk-offs decided that sound was great and to mold their own terrible bands after it, so not only did I have to hear Dave in my life time but i also got to here all the people who weren't as talented but still wanted to be just like him. Oh yeah, not to mention frat boys love Dave just as much as they love date rape, so that can't be good. Anyway, I've heard them, I know them, and I hate them for all reasons listed above. Satisfied pilgrims?
    They sound like a jam band because they are a jam band. You hit the nail on the head there, buddy.

The core group of DMB was playing shows nearly five years before Dispatch.

Once again, why does one group liking/disliking a certain type of music influence your won musical opinion?

Who says they are hiding behind musicianship? They have been savaged and celebrated by manymusic critics (not that that matters) as have many other bands. Also, do you really think that all the crazy frat boys you disparage that love DMB would argue about musicianship with you.

Who decides who "the worst bands of our generation" are? (Referencing back to your first post)

You seemed to have formed an opinion on a bands music based on your dislike for their fanbase, regardless of their music.

Alright seriously, who the hell cares if frat boys like DMB? I can guarantee there are frat boys who like Radiohead, does that mean Radiohead is shit?

I also like your stereotypical conception of not only frats, but pretty much EVERYTHING you state. It's almost as if you listen to a bunch of people who make fun of said band, or other people, out that all together and use it as a reason to hate a band who has more talent in their piss than you do in your entire body/

Man, looks like I hit a nerve with this one. You all must have wet dreams about the electric violin. You guys keep saying I base my opinion on what other people think meanwhile I'm the only one who seems to be arguing that the DMB suck. As for pointing out all the stereotypes, good work! You understand the concept of a generalization. What am I supposed to do apologize for using them and not acknowleding the raw, unique humanity that lurks within the heart of every DMB fan? Eh, no thanks.

And for the record I have more piss AND talent then Dave and all his followers. How do I know? Because I decided who the worst bands of our generation are.

There are far worse bands to create hate threads for than DMB. I'm not a fan, but I agree with Brandon, Alchemy and all of the other smart people in this thread. They are good musicians. It's stupid to hate a band because of their fans or the other bands they've inspired. I agree that "guy with acoustic guitar" music is pretty annoying, but I think Jack Johnson is more to blame. Even so, thats not a good reason to dislike Jack Johnson. There are plenty of other good reasons. You fucking asshole.

Left to right
    Up and down
    Love
    I push up love
    Love, everyday!
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFuJoe View Post
    Here is all I'll say about borders ... the Los Angeles Angels.

Aw geez, you guys have really turned me around on this. I guess they are a good band after all.

Pff, fuck you all. I'm here trying to give you all a nice, mean-spirited game to play. That's who I am: a giver. Instead you want to cuddle up together in DMB love hug and tell me exactly why I don't like this band. Sure, it's about their fans. Yeah, it's about the bands they inspired. But deep, deep down, I just know that their music is terrible. Their music is dull, non-threatening garbage, and they suckered you into liking it. Jokes on you chumps.

Ok I'll play some more. Who are some of your favorite bands?

I had to live with a "Dave" fan for a year in college. Ugh. Turned me off to whatever might be good about DMB. Go eat your Ben and Jerry's Dave Matthews Band magic brownies ya doucher.