Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eric Clapton SATURDAY HEADLINER!

Default Eric Clapton SATURDAY HEADLINER!

Ok so he's not headlining =P but he has a show on June 30th at the Hollywood Bowl for which tickets go on sale Sunday morning......soooo I'm thinking....GV....make it happen......PLEEEEASE make something happen!

Default Re: Eric Clapton SATURDAY HEADLINER!

sorry,not happening.

why?

...wait for it

Wishful thinking....I know.....

I would be very happy
    "Never argue with fools, because from a distance, people can't tell who is who"

Quote Originally Posted by MonOm View Post
    You know what else is dumb - that you started a John Mayer thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Tigo the Tiger View Post
    Wishful thinking....I know.....
    No, not that either.

I wish..

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

barf
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Reviewers who note the size of the crowd are dumb fucks.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014.

this thread is mind numbing. eric clapton will never fucking play coachella, EVER. in fact, we would have to start an entirely new festival in which to encompass the sure change in musical direction.

oh wait, they did that already. it's called BONNAROO.

all this coming from a clapton fan.

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

vomit clapton.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Reviewers who note the size of the crowd are dumb fucks.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014.

ya i heard about that show too.... im with you, i hope it happens... would love to see clapton play his guitar live

Quote Originally Posted by **JwOx** View Post
    ya i heard about that show too.... im with you, i hope it happens... would love to see clapton play his guitar live
    then GO TO THE SHOW.
    it's not for coachella.
    plain and simple.

eric clapton spoken word in the sahara from 630 to 7. on friday.
    Quote Originally Posted by EmberVega View Post
    You guys are mean. Sexy people are not meant to be smart.
    April 26 - Black Sabbath - Hollywood Bowl
    June 27 - Fuck Buttons - the Independent
    July 11 - Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds - Shrine Auditorium

eric clapton might be great and all, but he is not the direction GV want to go. If the headliners keep getting older and older then so will the audience.
    coachella should be about the current rock/indie/dance music scene, not a revival for acts like Clapton, McCartney, the Cure etc. i worry that coachella could lose its contemporary edge at this rate

Ok so he's not headlining =P but he has a show on June 30th at the Hollywood Bowl for which tickets go on sale Sunday morning......soooo I'm thinking....GV....make it happen......PLEEEEASE make something happen!
    regardless of anyone's specific feelings towards Clapton...if he already has an upcoming show at the Hollywood Bowl that goes on sale Sunday, wouldn't that diminish his drawing power for Coachella?
    '99-'11...

Banned

Fact: clapton's not playing.

i saw him at the bowl in 2004 and that was a great show. he was supporting his robert johnson covers album, which was actually surprisingly good, imo.

/

fin.

why not just go to the show at the bowl? Coachella isnt the only music event giong on in the world. there are hundreds of venues in so cal to see these bands at.
    "It's in the K" - Martha Stewart

Since the show list is very minimal...
    August 29 // Chemical Brothers w/ Chromeo & Yacht @ Hollywood Bowl
    September 26 // Vampire Weekend w/ Beach House & the Very Best @ Hollywood Bowl
    October 5 // ARCADE FIRE @ Henry Miller Library
    October 13 // Corin Tucker Band @ The El Rey
    (someone should give me Sufjan Stevens tickets, aint got none of those)

Quote Originally Posted by beavington View Post
    why not just go to the show at the bowl? Coachella isnt the only music event giong on in the world. there are hundreds of venues in so cal to see these bands at.
    I most definitely will try to be at the show....provided that I am able to get tickets through fucking Ticketmaster. But in my opinion its always better to see my favorite acts at Coachella...only because there are no seating charts...I can see them up close vs. paying $150 and having nose bleed seats.

Quote Originally Posted by tigermilkboy View Post
    eric clapton might be great and all, but he is not the direction GV want to go. If the headliners keep getting older and older then so will the audience.
    coachella should be about the current rock/indie/dance music scene, not a revival for acts like Clapton, McCartney, the Cure etc. i worry that coachella could lose its contemporary edge at this rate
    ...how is he not the direction GV wants to go, when GV has McCartney and the Cure performing? It's not the direction YOU want Goldenvoice to go, but ultimately, it is following the same trend.

Quote Originally Posted by instantvintage View Post
    ...how is he not the direction GV wants to go, when GV has McCartney and the Cure performing? It's not the direction YOU want Goldenvoice to go, but ultimately, it is following the same trend.

Paul McCartney is definitely MOR. The Cure are definitely not MOR, just established. But adding Clapton as a headliner would mean Coachella had moved firmly in to the 40-55 year old target audience.
    A music festival like Coachella should be looking for the 18-35 demographic. Right now, I think Coachella is trying to get more over 40's attending-because they might have jobs and money in this economy! Whilst retaining their core demographic.
    I am okay with that but if you start adding Simon & Garfunkel, Eric Clapton, Ringo Starr et al...then Coachella is a totally different animal. 4-5 established, older acts over 3 days is just about okay. 10-12 then we are getting too close to stagecoach!

If David Bowie would work for Coachella (age 62), then Eric motherfucking Clapton (age 63) would do just fine =P

Im just sayin...

If David Bowie would work for Coachella (age 62), then Eric motherfucking Clapton (age 63) would do just fine =P

Im just sayin...
    Clapton is more attuned to a folk festival not coachella!

I'm just sayin...

what is wrong with you people? First Madonna, now Paul McCartney, and you're asking for Eric Clapton?. I understand the need to diversify the acts, but come on. My view of Coachella was fresh new music and sustainable indie/alternative acts. Although I really could give two sh*ts for this years headliners, and have my issues in the past about other headliners, atleast they fit snugly into the mainstream alternative bands that tend to be overplayed on the radio. Why must we destroy another music festival? I guess there is always the Pitchfork festival, or ATP in New York, or even Lollapalooza, but what has happened to Coachella?

you're all fucking idgits. People like Clapton and McCartney transcend demographics, their music is absolutely timeless. We are blessed to be having the likes of McCartney this year, just like we were blessed to have Waters and Prince last year. And the notion that GV booked Paul to target a 40-55 age demographic is just stupid. Those people don't come to festivals like Coachella, in intense heat, in the desert... They go to Staples and the Honda Center.

Quote Originally Posted by El.C.Dub View Post
    you're all fucking idgits. People like Clapton and McCartney transcend demographics, their music is absolutely timeless. We are blessed to be having the likes of McCartney this year, just like we were blessed to have Waters and Prince last year. And the notion that GV booked Paul to target a 40-55 age demographic is just stupid. Those people don't come to festivals like Coachella, in intense heat, in the desert... They go to Staples and the Honda Center.
    if you saw the crowd during prince last year or the people arriving just about an hour or so before prince went on, then you would sing a different tune. Same with John Waters. Go towards the entrance at around 7pm and hang out and see how many will just show up for Sir Paul. Perhaps even the Cure might have fans show up right before they play.

and you are wrong, they do no transcend demographics, because you are not talking about the average music fan when you are on a music message board. You aren't really in their demographic because they dont have to target you. Eric Clapton is not going to appeal to the average coachella goer. but maybe the average coachella board troll.
    Last edited by beavington; 02-20-2009 at 08:10 PM. Reason: tardation
    "It's in the K" - Martha Stewart

Since the show list is very minimal...
    August 29 // Chemical Brothers w/ Chromeo & Yacht @ Hollywood Bowl
    September 26 // Vampire Weekend w/ Beach House & the Very Best @ Hollywood Bowl
    October 5 // ARCADE FIRE @ Henry Miller Library
    October 13 // Corin Tucker Band @ The El Rey
    (someone should give me Sufjan Stevens tickets, aint got none of those)

Same with John Waters.
    Ahem, uh, unless you're talking about the infamous filmmaker John Waters, you mean Roger Waters.

Crawl back in your hole and die.

and you are wrong, they do no transcend demographics, because you are not talking about the average music fan when you are on a music message board. You aren't really in their demographic because they dont have to target you. Eric Clapton is not going to appeal to the average coachella goer. but maybe the average coachella board troll.
    So you're not particularly fond of the Beatles? Cream? Pink Floyd? I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume that 90% of the people who post on these boards would name at least one of those bands in their top ten all time favorite list. And there is not a band that plays today that isn't in some way influenced by one of those groups.

In fact, Paul McCatney was incredibly instrumental (no pun intended) in promoting and putting on Monterey Pop and other 60's rock festivals, festivals which were the original Coachellas.

So you're not particularly fond of the Beatles? Cream? Pink Floyd? I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume that 90% of the people who post on these boards would name at least one of those bands in their top ten all time favorite list. And there is not a band that plays today that isn't in some way influenced by one of those groups.

In fact, Paul McCatney was incredibly instrumental (no pun intended) in promoting and putting on Monterey Pop and other 60's rock festivals, festivals which were the original Coachellas.
    Beatles, Cream, Pink Floyd are not in my top 10! Maybe my dads!

I accept they are instrumental and a huge influence (all those bands were influenced by someone too) but I don't feel excited seeing these artists in their 60's. I am sure 30 years ago I would have been crazy excited to see such names, but music moves on!
    I want to see new names, not the same old names whose best days are behind them and seem to be just performing. I can't identify with millionaire, 60 year olds, thats why I seek out new music that speaks about my world. Yeah, these guys can play and are passionate, but they don't rock or move me anymore.
    I don't mind a few blasts from the pasts mixed in with lots of new bands-that is a good mix but if I saw a festival with Bob Dylan, Roger Waters, Paul McCartney, Neil Diamond, Eric Clapton, Leonard Cohen etc whilst huge names, you know that kind of festival would differ in energy than a typical day at Coachella. I want a mix of fresh new sounds, a few favorites, some punk, energy, dirty beats. Coachella needs fresh, innovative acts from artists varying in style to stay current. If that changed then Coachella and its audience would change.
    If you love seeing all those acts from the 60's and 70's great, go see them, have a blast. But I believe that for most Coachella regulars, we go to discover something new and different and celebrate being young and hearing bands we can relate or identify with.

youre in that 10%

youre in that 10%
    and quite happy to be in that 10% sir-although I think its more than 10%!

I appreciate what they've done but time to move on.