Thread: Why I think U2 will be added to Saturday

Default Why I think U2 will be added to Saturday

This is just a theory I have had for a while now ever since the lineup was delayed and I thought I'd just share it with you. It's not that I am dying to see U2 or am really that big of a fan but I do think that having them on top of the lineup over The Killers would make much more sense.

Ok, so my thoughts are that Goldenvoice was trying to work out a deal with U2 and Live Nation to get them to headline. I think (and this is all speculation) but I think that U2 wants to start playing festivals. They have toured the world over, they have sold out stadiums all over, but they have nott done a major US festival and I think that they want to. There is no reason for them not to and they are one of the only Major bands (Radiohead, Pearl Jam, RATM, etc) not to play one yet. Now being in the position that they are in with Live Nation kinda restricts their freedom to do whatever they want but I am pretty sure there is some sort of "escape clause" for certain situations. I could see Goldenvoice trying to negotiate a deal with Live Nation and I could actually see Live Nation being difficult to work with in this scenerio. (there have been rumors going around for years that said that Live Nation was trying to buy out Coachella from Goldenvoice or Goldenvoice altogether)
    U2 would probably play for 1.5 - 3 million which I would imagine is in the budget for Goldenvoice but I think that Live Nation wants more out of the deal (sponsorship, future deals, etc). This, in my opinion, is why the lineup was delayed. I can't really see any of the other artists on the poster having a difficult time negotiating out a deal.
    Since U2 hasn't released any tour information this possibility could still be on the table. And I think that if they haven't already, Coachella could very well have struck a deal with them and are just waiting for the right time (release date of the album) to announce them as the Saturday headliner. I dunno. It could be cool seeing U2 out in the desert 30 miles from where the inspiration to The Joshua Tree was made.

Like I said this is all speculation so take it with a grain of salt.
    Last edited by shotglass75; 02-16-2009 at 10:29 AM.
    Check out Sleeping is Giving in for great mixes and other cool stuff

Default Re: Why I think U2 will be added to Saturday

Why the Cure this year? My guess is that maybe they were having difficulty getting a deal ironed out with a Sunday headliner and it didn't end up working out so they grabbed the Cure at the last minute. Either way, I think the headliners are the headliners at this point.

Here is my theory on why Paul McCartney is playing this year. They asked him to and offered him a lot of money, and he said yes.

Quote Originally Posted by KungFuJay View Post
    Here is my theory on why Paul McCartney is playing this year. They asked him to and offered him a lot of money, and he said yes.
    Where did you get this information? link?

Quote Originally Posted by AlecEiffel View Post
    Where did you get this information? link?
    read that in rolling stone. i posted it in one of the mccartney threads
    Then I will hold you down and spit her percolations all over you until you're as greasy as the day she regrets pushing your big fat ass out her big fat cunt.

bands dont generally make that much money per show...it doesnt really happen not even when they are headlining.
    the only time shit loads of money are thrown at them, i am pretty sure, is when it is the only way to get them. I think they could get U2 for a million at most.

The Killers are the headliner, the only other headliner that might be added is a Sahara headliner.
    "It's in the K" - Martha Stewart

Since the show list is very minimal...
    August 29 // Chemical Brothers w/ Chromeo & Yacht @ Hollywood Bowl
    September 26 // Vampire Weekend w/ Beach House & the Very Best @ Hollywood Bowl
    October 5 // ARCADE FIRE @ Henry Miller Library
    October 13 // Corin Tucker Band @ The El Rey
    (someone should give me Sufjan Stevens tickets, aint got none of those)

Quote Originally Posted by beavington View Post
    bands dont generally make that much money per show...it doesnt really happen not even when they are headlining.
    the only time shit loads of money are thrown at them, i am pretty sure, is when it is the only way to get them. I think they could get U2 for a million at most.

The Killers are the headliner, the only other headliner that might be added is a Sahara headliner.
    Actually come to think of it, you are right with that about the million. A band like U2 who people can see all the time probably wouldn't be paid as much as I first said, but still they would be a much bigger draw to the desert than The Killers. I'm whatever with the Killers. Makes no dif at this point. I just am still wondering who the holdup was with the lineup.
    Check out Sleeping is Giving in for great mixes and other cool stuff

Quote Originally Posted by KungFuJay View Post
    really,no crystal ball?
    you couldnt see it?

u2 doesnt seem like its out of the realm of possiblity-but i hope its Bowie.

I think U2 has a better chance at headlining Outsidelands than Coachella now at this point... and yes Outsidelands is a new festival but Radiohead landed their UFO in Golden Gate Park last summer so I'm sure anything is possible for the next.

Quote Originally Posted by shotglass75 View Post
    This is just a theory I have had for a while now ever since the lineup was delayed and I thought I'd just share it with you. It's not that I am dying to see U2 or am really that big of a fan but I do think that having them on top of the lineup over The Killers would make much more sense.

Ok, so my thoughts are that Goldenvoice was trying to work out a deal with U2 and Live Nation to get them to headline. I think (and this is all speculation) but I think that U2 wants to start playing festivals. They have toured the world over, they have sold out stadiums all over, but they have nott done a major US festival and I think that they want to. There is no reason for them not to and they are one of the only Major bands (Radiohead, Pearl Jam, RATM, etc) not to play one yet. Now being in the position that they are in with Live Nation kinda restricts their freedom to do whatever they want but I am pretty sure there is some sort of "escape clause" for certain situations. I could see Goldenvoice trying to negotiate a deal with Live Nation and I could actually see Live Nation being difficult to work with in this scenerio. (there have been rumors going around for years that said that Live Nation was trying to buy out Coachella from Goldenvoice or Goldenvoice altogether)
    U2 would probably play for 1.5 - 3 million which I would imagine is in the budget for Goldenvoice but I think that Live Nation wants more out of the deal (sponsorship, future deals, etc). This, in my opinion, is why the lineup was delayed. I can't really see any of the other artists on the poster having a difficult time negotiating out a deal.
    Since U2 hasn't released any tour information this possibility could still be on the table. And I think that if they haven't already, Coachella could very well have struck a deal with them and are just waiting for the right time (release date of the album) to announce them as the Saturday headliner. I dunno. It could be cool seeing U2 out in the desert 30 miles from where the inspiration to The Joshua Tree was made.

Interesting theory. Too bad we'd get 2009-era U2 (Bono = giant douchebag) instead of 1991-era U2 (Achtung Baby = their best album by leaps and bounds)

Quote Originally Posted by shotglass75 View Post

i hope you're right- i dont still get what would hold the line up release for so long- definitely not the killers or the cure

Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

Banned

here are some theories being thrown out there and what ive dug up as of now:

start by assuming they will add-no one.. prince was already in the books, it was just a matter of making sure he was healthy to go....

u2: doubtful... coachella is a perfect fit but the live nation association i think is too muhch to overcome.. plus with the economy as it is, u2 managment will not want to give up any publicity to coachella when it can keep it for themselves and do mulitple nights at the staples center.

Metallica: this is very possible and wayyyyyyy out of the box only cuz the killers would have to go on before and that doesnt seem like a solid mix.. so a possible Metallica/Neil Young add to sat would solidify the main stage and would also give more cred to the rumours of the killers playing a high priced sahara set......

bottom line is any headliner they would add would have to be someone to bring strictly for ticket sales so forget NIN, and Jane's addiction or Oasis, etc,etc ........ they are great bands but 10-20 thousand will not buy single day tix to see them......

i dont know, saturday just looks incomplete.......hmmmmmmmmmmmm

No U2, tour is booked and ready to go. LN makes more money off 2 nights from them in any city than a one off with GV even with a huge payout.

Quote Originally Posted by scoop49er View Post
    so a possible Metallica/Neil Young add to sat would solidify the main stage and would also give more cred to the rumours of the killers playing a high priced sahara set......
    Where did you hear these killers/sahara rumors? that would suck...really really suck

Quote Originally Posted by scoop49er View Post
    start by assuming they will add-no one.. prince was already in the books, it was just a matter of making sure he was healthy to go....

Metallica: this is very possible and wayyyyyyy out of the box only cuz the killers would have to go on before and that doesnt seem like a solid mix.. so a possible Metallica/Neil Young add to sat would solidify the main stage and would also give more cred to the rumours of the killers playing a high priced sahara set......

i dont know, saturday just looks incomplete.......hmmmmmmmmmmmm
    Scoop,you motherfucker-if youre right ill buy you a six-pack!

Coachella Junkie

I will punch a kitten if The Killers play the Sahara.

Don't do it, GV. Think of the kittens!
    My name is Becca. Hi.

Facebook, yo.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    If it was supposed to be a joke, there'd be a cat in the picture somewhere. That's how you can tell, on the internet.

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    No U2, tour is booked and ready to go. LN makes more money off 2 nights from them in any city than a one off with GV even with a huge payout.
    O RLY? SO who for Saturday?
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Reviewers who note the size of the crowd are dumb fucks.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

Gorillaz
    pistachios yo!

oh fuck...
    I hope the "legendary band with all it's original members" for Sasquatch isn't U2.
    shitty... I could see that though.. I mean, they got R.E.M. last year.

I still think Outkast would be awsum.

Outkast
    Jamiroquai - the Chemical Brothers - Blur
    Orbital - Röyksopp - Fever Ray

Just cancel the first two names on Sat. and replace! (teehee)
    Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    the best songs are the ones that dont remind you of anyone in particular yet still give you that utter euphoric contentedness of perfection in your mind, body and soul. keep them close.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post
    A bag of doritos > RHCP > getting kicked in the balls > Mumford & Sons > skinned alive > Macklemore
    Quote Originally Posted by elliottb View Post
    Ohh god, you guys are so fucking sensitive. Yes there is potential to get laid at Coachella if you camp or are willing to have sex against the fences by the Sahara.

Quote Originally Posted by AlecEiffel View Post
    Why the Cure this year? My guess is that maybe they were having difficulty getting a deal ironed out with a Sunday headliner and it didn't end up working out so they grabbed the Cure at the last minute. Either way, I think the headliners are the headliners at this point.
    I doubt that's true. The Cure had a well-received tour, and you're the first person that's suggested it to be a result of someone else falling out. Saturday's headliner has been the only one in question.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    I'd rather see my own gruesome rape and subsequent beheading than see Rammstein.

The killers r saturdays headliners. U2 won't go unless they r headliners. Therefore they won't go because the killers will headline

Coachella Junkie malcolmjamalawesome's Avatar

I would rather see The Killers than U2.

I would rather see Lady Sovereign than the Killers.
    Quote Originally Posted by ruetheday View Post
    I don't fucking care. I don't even know who the hell Dave Wang is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.