View Poll Results: What job would you pick?

Voters
198. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rock Star (lead singer of arena rock back U2 style)

32 16.16%
  • Indie Rock Star (Lead singer of mid level indie band i.e. TVOTR)

54 27.27%
  • Movie Star

15 7.58%
  • Touring Comedian

12 6.06%
  • DJ (i.e. Tiesto/Oakenfold/MSTRKRFT)

61 30.81%
  • Doctor

7 3.54%
  • Lawyer

4 2.02%
  • Movie Reviewer (i.e. Roger Ebert)

13 6.57%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What job would you pick?

Default Re: What job would you pick?

I picked movie reviewer, because that's pretty close to the job that I do already, and also most of those other options involve either (a) selling your soul, or (b) standing in front of large audiences on a regular basis, neither or which are particularly appealing to me.

Large audiences?

I think you overestimate my hypothetical band's quality.

DJ. Getting people to dance pretty much on command must be a heady experience

Quote Originally Posted by clarky123 View Post
    Fuck your formal education up for music and stop being a coward.
    Quote Originally Posted by braundiggity View Post
    I dunno. Lots of the arguments seem hypocritical to me. Can't we leave it simply as: I loved the shit out of it, some hated the shit out of it, and that's just how some shows go?
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/musicislife/

Karma Police are coming for you

Quote Originally Posted by MissingPerson View Post
    Large audiences?

I think you overestimate my hypothetical band's quality.
    Haha. I was perhaps misinterpreting the poll to mean that you would be successful enough at said job to have it fully support you without outside employment (as in, it would be your primary occupation).

Ah, yes. I'd like my awesome hypothetical band to pay my way. So yeah, that's a large enough audience.

Ne'er shall we headline Coachella though. I still want my audience to be small enough that people will be bemoaning how underrated I was for the next few decades.

DJ, but I'd tour with a band and bring my family along to see the world.

Supervillain
    4/8 Summer Camp @ Echo, 4/11-13 Coachella, 4/17 SISU, Dum Dum Girls @ Roxy, 4/27 Ghost B.C. @ Fonda, 4/30 Mono @ Troubadour, 5/3 I Break Horses @ Bootleg Theater, 5/28-6/1 Primavera Sound, 6/4 Nisennenmondai @ Jazzhouse, 6/18-22 Sled Island

festival co-ordinator

i think i would take what the dewaele brothers get to do.

Doctors. Boooooooo.

Movie star all the way. Sure some long days, and some roles you may not like (but the residuals and pay make you not care that much) and by the time you reach stardom - you just get shit for free. Friend of mine has a "celebrity" roommate, who has a free life time supply of vitamin water/smart water/red bull. They just drop off cases and shit, Microsoft also sends him the latest kinect stuff for free. Not to mention the TV network he works for sent him to the Virgin Islands and picked up the tab on a 10k-15k villa.

Also if you play an awesome role, you will immortalize a character you created. I had the "King of the North" pass by me today around West Hollywood today. I had a little nerdgasm.

DJs gotta keep hustling gigs left and right (until they can pull 250k/gig requests) - it would be like being Slurms McKenzie, partying so much you're over partying

Rock star - touring can get exhausting and a follow up album to your initial tour may not be so great

Indie rock - have fun renting in silverlake and using all your money on blow and the gold room

Doctor/Lawyer - No soul; long long long long hours too, although a lot of money, the jobs come with a lot of pressure, especially being a doctor who is regularly in the OR

Movie critic - Would be fun, but having to watch so many bland movies could get exhausting. Would rather be creating instead of sitting back and pulling a boosh.

Touring comedian - Some interesting stories maybe, but touring means you're not writing on your hit tv show etc yet, so you're not really at the pinnacle of success

The idea of being a celebrity sounds awful, the idea of a public life at all just terrifies me, luckily I'm pretty bland. It's pretty easy to overlook how tiring life can be when every time you go to pick up smokes or go for a run you WILL be assailed by someone who just wants to show some appreciation or wants an autograph. Sure the stranger means well and genuinely appreciates your work but after five years or more of never being left alone in public tell me that shit doesn't get old some days. I just imagine going to Coachella as a movie star, having to hang out in VIP with a bunch of assholes so I won't get tapped and photographed every five seconds while I'm just trying to enjoy a good trip and watch Flying Lotus. As cool as it would be to be up front I still love to get lost in a crowd of high and fun people now and then.
    Quote Originally Posted by pachucasunrise View Post
    Thought this said Of Mice & Men. Now THAT'S a scary thought...
    Quote Originally Posted by iantmcfarland View Post
    Just don't schedule them anywhere near White Rabbits.

Professional hobo.

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalstereo View Post
    Professional hobo.
    As someone who has lived with someone who's brother was one of these: This is the quite possibly one of the worst things a human can do; and this guy had a fucking hobo apprentice also. I would come home and the living room would reek of burnt asshole and pro hobo bro would be stacking all of his change into dollar stacks. Covering the entire table. Then he would approach me for a ride to Carl's Jr, trying to make seem like a deal for me to get the free hamburger with the buy 1 get 1 free coupon he had found in the mail that day.

As far as his apprentice goes, he wore board shorts all the time and one night I came home, no one was there, except for the hobo apprentice and a girl I had done some extra work with a while ago. They were about to give each massages.

Needless to say I moved out pretty fast. Roommate turned out to have bad violent issues and an ex girlfriend who kept trying to crawl through our windows to get into the apartment after she had been kicked out.

So please, take consideration into being a professional hobo . Its not funny for anyone.

Just for shits and giggles, zero seriousness behind my post. I'm actually studying to obtain a Bachelors of Science and may be become an MD or PA.

Get to deal with hobos and homeless people every day. I know what they smell and are like; specially intoxicated.

Quote Originally Posted by Mugwog View Post
    As someone who has lived with someone who's brother was one of these: This is the quite possibly one of the worst things a human can do; and this guy had a fucking hobo apprentice also. I would come home and the living room would reek of burnt asshole and pro hobo bro would be stacking all of his change into dollar stacks. Covering the entire table. Then he would approach me for a ride to Carl's Jr, trying to make seem like a deal for me to get the free hamburger with the buy 1 get 1 free coupon he had found in the mail that day.

As far as his apprentice goes, he wore board shorts all the time and one night I came home, no one was there, except for the hobo apprentice and a girl I had done some extra work with a while ago. They were about to give each massages.

Needless to say I moved out pretty fast. Roommate turned out to have bad violent issues and an ex girlfriend who kept trying to crawl through our windows to get into the apartment after she had been kicked out.

So please, take consideration into being a professional hobo . Its not funny for anyone.

Dr. Strangelove
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.