Page 52 of 65 FirstFirst ... 4748495051525354555657 ... LastLast
Results 1,531 to 1,560 of 1950

Thread: The Official Metal Thread

Default Re: The Official Metal Thread

Anyone else stoked for the Vattnet Viskar album? I preordered my copy a few days ago and am excited for it to arrive so I can take a listen.

Need to order the repress of their EP as well, but no one seems to be carrying it in the US and I just spent $30 on a Romanthony 12". Oh records.

I'm in the UK for a while and managed to catch Torche in Leeds. Meanderthal was one of my favourite albums of the last few years, and Harmonicraft was exceptional. Their sound works really well live. Tiny room, massive Orange amps + me with no ear plugs = deaf for 3 days. (Also they were supported by a Scottish band called Fat Goth. Worth it for the name alone).

Baroness are here in October for a few dates, hoping to catch them in Manchester. I must be in the minority, as I love Yellow & Green, more so than the first 2 records. Got the Maida Vale ep on vinyl last week and those tracks sound fantastic live.

Quote Originally Posted by bballarl View Post
    Anyone else stoked for the Vattnet Viskar album? I preordered my copy a few days ago and am excited for it to arrive so I can take a listen.

Need to order the repress of their EP as well, but no one seems to be carrying it in the US and I just spent $30 on a Romanthony 12". Oh records.
    Yeah, I'm really excited for the Vattnet Viskar album. They're one of about 6 or 7 records I'm hotly anticipating right now. The tracks they've put out there so far are excellent.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Markee View Post
    I'm in the UK for a while and managed to catch Torche in Leeds. Meanderthal was one of my favourite albums of the last few years, and Harmonicraft was exceptional. Their sound works really well live. Tiny room, massive Orange amps + me with no ear plugs = deaf for 3 days. (Also they were supported by a Scottish band called Fat Goth. Worth it for the name alone).

Baroness are here in October for a few dates, hoping to catch them in Manchester. I must be in the minority, as I love Yellow & Green, more so than the first 2 records. Got the Maida Vale ep on vinyl last week and those tracks sound fantastic live.
    Torche are great on record and live indeed! And it is definitely not strange to love Yellow & Green if you are already a fan of things like Torche. I saw Baroness this past weekend and they were absolutely amazing. You're in for a treat!
    last.fm
    6/15/14 Failure - Glasshouse // 7/9/14 Cloud Nothings/Metz - Roxy
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL
    9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Did anyone see Sabbath last night? Terrible traffic caused us to arrive at the amphitheater just as they were starting, which means I basically missed "War Pigs" and "Into the Void" The rest of the set was super solid though and I would rank it in the upper echelon of shows I've seen this year. The band sounded great, Ozzy was not half as bad as I expected - though his voice began to give out near the end. Ozzy himself was comically endearing, announcing the name of each song beforehand and saying "thank you" before the songs were over. They didn't play terribly long, under two hours, but man did they sound massive, even from the top of the lawn. (I have NEVER seen the venue so packed before. Loudest/most obnoxious crowd of the year, naturally.) Additionally the stage setup was pretty magnificent. All in all my expectations were nicely surpassed. I'd see em again if I have the chance just to hopefully make up for hearing the first two from the parking lot/walking in.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Hey here's an idea. You know those people who are desperately poor, down on their luck, uneducated, abused, and generally ill-equipped for life? Let's make fun of them.

Torche are great on record and live indeed! And it is definitely not strange to love Yellow & Green if you are already a fan of things like Torche. I saw Baroness this past weekend and they were absolutely amazing. You're in for a treat!
    Thanks! I'm really excited about this gig actually. Thought it would be a long time before they returned to the UK. Lot of respect for them for that.

Deathfest announced a couple more bands today.

Ulver
    Candlemass
    Sarke
    Asphyx
    Tankard
    God Macabre
    Soilent Green
    Machetazo
    Extinction of Mankind
    Graves at Sea

..aaaand I came
    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

Jeez. I'm really hoping to make it. I'd love to see Candlemass. Who should I check out besides them and Ulver, as I'm not familiar with any of those other acts.

You should totally come. You can crash in our room, and we can probably pick you up from the airport. Hopefully it is still in the city. I am kinda worried about them changing venues next year.

Out of these I would say Asphyx, who are legends. Sarke is the dude (who isn't Fenriz) from Darkthrones other band, and seem pretty good. Soilent Green are pretty wild, and been around the grind scene forever. Graves at Sea and Tankard are names I hear good things about, but have never listened to. The rest I have no idea, but I guess God Macabre is a reunion and that's always cool.

The mdf people also confirmed that unfortunately Emperor is not playing a couple days ago.
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

Just saw this. I'm really hoping to make MDF work next year, and I'll keep you in the loop if it does end up happening. That sounds like it'd be a blast if I could get with you and your buddies.

Stereogum posted a stream of a new track from French black metal act Glorior Belli today, and it's pretty excellent. Give it a spin.

French black metal is the best right now. Speaking of can someone please help me find Peste Noire's new one? It came out in June, and I can't find it anywhere

That Botanist album is odd. It's the first thing I've heard from (him? them?), so I guess I was expecting more straightforward metal, but those guitar tones are completely different from anything else I've heard in metal (except maybe like Ocrilim, but it's not anywhere near as knotty as all of that). An interesting listen for sure, not sure how I feel about it yet though.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

Even more bizarre: it's not guitar, it's hammer dulcimer. I listened to that today and dug it, but I've also enjoyed his previous albums.

And now I'm finishing up an album by a band called Dethscalator which is like Melvins style sludge rock with sub-David Yow distorted shouting and general sloppy psych-dirge mayhem. It's not quite metal, but not quite hardcore, but not quite noise rock. Worth a listen.

Or maybe more of a Eyehategod or Harvey Milk type sludge.
    Last edited by SoulDischarge; 09-06-2013 at 05:08 PM.
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

The new SubRosa, More Constant Than the Gods, is like a sludge/doom version of Fairport Convention. This is a great thing. They sing some fantastic murder ballads, get really expansive with the construction and length of songs, use some unexpected instrumentation (one of my favorite moments is a doom guitar/flute duel in the final song) and are virtuosic without showing off. I liked their last album quite a bit, but this is a substantial leap forward in terms of both songwriting and performance, and jumps well out of the pack of doom revivalists who are all over the place right now. I highly recommend it.

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

For those that care, full set by Sleep at last years Scion Rock Fest. Pretty good quality too.

July 29 - Boris
    August 1 - Black Label Society
    August 14 - Nine Inch Nails/Soundgarden/DEP
    August 27 - Röyksopp & Robyn
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 5 - Seth Troxler
    September 14 - Lily Allen
    September 16 - Earth
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 12 - Austin City Limits: Day 3
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Metal Festival
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 23 - Caribou

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    The new SubRosa, More Constant Than the Gods, is like a sludge/doom version of Fairport Convention. This is a great thing. They sing some fantastic murder ballads, get really expansive with the construction and length of songs, use some unexpected instrumentation (one of my favorite moments is a doom guitar/flute duel in the final song) and are virtuosic without showing off. I liked their last album quite a bit, but this is a substantial leap forward in terms of both songwriting and performance, and jumps well out of the pack of doom revivalists who are all over the place right now. I highly recommend it.
    Here's the local indie paper on them.

Had no idea about any of this until I read it in the dating thread yesterday.
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    It's hard to argue with that.

Latest additions for MDF:

ROUND 4

5 more bands have been confirmed for MDF XII!

CANCER (UK) - Exclusive US show and first time in the US since 1993.

SACRIFICE (Canada) - Exclusive US show and first time in the US since 1992.

NOCTURNUS A.D. - Playing "The Key" album in its entirety.

CROWBAR

DEATH TOLL 80K (Finland)

Updated list of confirmed bands:

ASPHYX (Netherlands)
    AT THE GATES (Sweden)
    BONGRIPPER
    CANCER (UK)
    CANDLEMASS (Sweden)
    CROWBAR
    DEATH TOLL 80K (Finland)
    DIOCLETIAN (New Zealand)
    EXCRUCIATING TERROR
    EXTINCTION OF MANKIND (UK)
    GOD MACABRE (Sweden)
    GORGUTS (Canada)
    GRAVES AT SEA
    HEMDALE
    MACHETAZO (Spain)
    MGLA (Poland)
    NOCTURNUS A.D.
    SACRIFICE (Canada)
    SARKE (Norway)
    SOILENT GREEN
    SOLSTAFIR (Iceland)
    TAAKE (Norway)
    TANKARD (Germany)
    ULVER (Norway)
    UNCLE ACID & THE DEADBEATS (UK)
    UNHOLY GRAVE (Japan)
    UNLEASHED (Sweden)
    WITCHRIST (New Zealand)
    July 29 - Boris
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 16 - Earth
    September 21 - Nails
    October 10 - Bonobo
    November 23 - Caribou

Crowbar is a nice get. I am excited to check out the other 4 bands

God I love Crowbar. Fat metal bands are the coolest.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

A Storm of Light's Nations To Flames is a fucking great sludge metal album. I've listened to it front to back several times now and I am really enjoying it.
    last.fm
    6/15/14 Failure - Glasshouse // 7/9/14 Cloud Nothings/Metz - Roxy
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL
    9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Farnsworth View Post
    God I love Crowbar. Fat metal bands are the coolest.
    We're here to play some Mississippi Delta Blues. We're in a horrible depression, and I gotta admit - we're starting to like it.

I'm sad I missed this show last night...their new album is one of the contenders for metal album of the year in my opinion

7/22 Neutral Milk Hotel @ Prospect Park
    7/23 Witch @ MHOW
    7/24 Teenage Fanclub @ Pier 84
    7/24 Lauren Ritter @ TBA
    7/25 Nick Cave @ Prospect Park
    7/26 Cell Injection/Black Asteroid @ Output

Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

So I noticed on Sleep's facebook page today it said they were joining the Billions Roster. I guess they got a new agent but I'm not sure. Regardless of whether this means anything, they announced 2 new dates today which make me hopeful for a full tour and maybe they've finally started to record again.

Fri Jan 03, 2014 - Denver CO: Gothic Theatre with Helen Money
    Sat Jan 04, 2014 - Albuquerque NM: Sunshine Theater with Helen Money
    July 29 - Boris
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 16 - Earth
    September 21 - Nails
    October 10 - Bonobo
    November 23 - Caribou

I saw that today. I think it's a good chance that means Sleep is back as a functioning concern, which is fucking thrilling.

Over the course of the weekend I was able to listen to a few albums from this year.

Noisem - Agony Defined is a badass thrash record that takes lots of cues from Slayer and winds up in a really excellent and fun place. Tons of hatred and force in the sound and it just hit me in all the right spots.

Sadgiqacea - False Prism is a decent mix of sludge, doom and psych metal that blends together into an entertaining record. Three of the four songs are quite long, but they kept my interest because of the strong riffage. At times they reminded me of Harvey Milk, but with more of an air of accessibility.

I've listened to it before, but man Power Trip - Manifest Decimation is one hell of a release. There is just so much force in their riffs and the vocals really show the debt to hardcore. I haven't heard a crossover thrash record like this in a long time and it's been steadily moving up my list of favorites for the year.

Same with Grave Miasma - Odori Sepulcrorum, but for very different reasons. That one is a beast of death metal. They've got the beats and riffs down pat, but there is always an air of oddness, intensity and craft that puts them above quite a few of the other decent death bands releasing albums this year. Death metal has had a great year, and this is definitely one of the better releases in the genre.

Lycus - Tempest is an enjoyable, well-played and well-written doom album. They don't jump out from the constraints of doom in quite the way that Pallbearer or Windhand do, with their skill for blending the style with more melodic performance and varied guitar parts, but the riffs here are top notch and I was never bored at any point.

Finally, Yellow Eyes - Hammer of Night is a fucking fantastic black metal record. It doesn't tread into the post-shoegaze/postrock blend that's all the craze, but instead uses the traditional trappings of black metal and extends them outwards to incorporate more tempo changes, melody and general interesting songcraft. It's a great record, will be up in my top 20 for the year, and really deserves listens.

Ex-Sepultura drummer Iggor Cavalera to form 'metal version of White Stripes'
    Producer James Murphy, formerly of LCD Soundsystem, convinced Cavalera to record as duo with his brother, Max

Big news for metalheads and electronic music fans – Sepultura's Iggor Cavalera (one of the 100 greatest drummers of all time, according to Rolling Stone) has been convinced by James Murphy to form "a metal version of the White Stripes" with his brother Max.

Iggor, 42, the Brazilian tribal funk-metal drummer who sold 20m records around the world with his former band, Sepultura, has been living in England since the beginning of October in order to boost the profile of his two "family bands" – DJ group MixHell, with his wife Laima Leyton, and Cavalera Conspiracy with his brother Max, the guitar player and lead singer who helped him found Sepultura in the early 1980s. Iggor's intention was to put out a new EP and consequently a new album for the Cavalera Conspiracy, but James Murphy – who was brought on board to produce the band's music – had bigger plans. Murphy, DFA Records' head honcho and ex-LCD Soundsystem frontman, wanted to launch the former quartet as a two-piece instead.

"James Murphy approached me with the record idea, but eventually suggested some others. To start with, he wants only the two of us in the studio, like a metal version of the White Stripes. He also wants nothing but the two of us on stage," Iggor told the Guardian.

"He basically asked me to get rid of the rest of the band. Cavalera Conspiracy has four members and two records. Murphy asked us to start from scratch as a duo. According to him, 'this will come to be the heaviest record of our careers'. He promised me that", explains Iggor.

"The last time my brother and I played together as a duo was back home, when we were still teenagers learning how to play in our bedrooms. I had some pieces of an old drum and he had his guitar. This new project feels as though my brother and I are coming back home, 30 years later."

Max, 43, left his former band in 1996, Iggor in 2006, but Sepultura still continue to perform as a band without the brothers. This is the second time Iggor has left Brazil to play abroad. Max has lived in Phoenix, US, since the early 90s, where he plays in the band Soulfly.

"I've been through this before, let's say 1988 or 89, with Sepultura. We loved living in Brazil, going on tour around the world and then go[ing] back home. We would come and go. But eventually, it became impractical because we ended up spending more time away from home than there. At the same time, we paid for a life in Brazil while all our businesses were abroad, from our agent to our recording sessions. And so we left that time. And so I'm doing it now." said Iggor, giving reasons for being "pushed" into a rock star life again.
    two names i'd never expect to see together
    Hey here's an idea. You know those people who are desperately poor, down on their luck, uneducated, abused, and generally ill-equipped for life? Let's make fun of them.

Thought this was kind of interesting.

July 29 - Boris
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 16 - Earth
    September 21 - Nails
    October 10 - Bonobo
    November 23 - Caribou

I saw that a while back. Those Africans really hate their metal.
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    I love when people huff an 8 ball and then come on here to show off what they think they know about Stanley Kubrick.

Looks like the Godflesh tour may be postponed til spring. If anything I hope this means they are playing Deathfest again

Why for the delay?
    Translation

Rufus Wainwright @ Stern Grove 07/27/14
    Xiu Xiu @ BoTH 08/01/14
    FYF @ LA Sport Area 08/23 - 08/24/14
    Swans @ The Independent 08/08/14
    Decibel Festival @ Seattle 09/24 - 09/28/14
    War on Drugs @ Fillmore 10/05/14
    Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14

Last.fm