Page 49 of 66 FirstFirst ... 4445464748495051525354 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,470 of 1956

Thread: The Official Metal Thread

Default Re: The Official Metal Thread

Natasha is the only one I've not heard. It's getting added to the list. Did you listen to Mass & Volume from this year?
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

No, thanks for reminding me! I had totally forgotten about that one
    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    Bmack asked me for my best 5 of 2013 list last night and didn't have an answer. Here it is off the top of my head

1) Portal-"Vexovoid"
    2) Inter Arma-"Sky Burial"
    3) Altar of Plagues "Teethed Glory and Injury"
    4) Cult of Luna-"Vertikal"
    5) The Botanist-"IV - Mandragora"
    So, a month later I've been listening to Vexovoid pretty much every other night. There is so much depth to this album that it's insane. What started out as a thick morass, and a bit of a slog to get through, has really opened up with repeated listens. I bought it on vinyl and try to put it on at least 2-3 times a week. Have you seen photos of them live? I will be making the next tour they do:

And Stink, or anyone else: why is Portal considered Death Metal? I don't really hear much of that genre in their work. While they're obviously metal, I don't really hear a distinct subgenre, kind of a mix of black metal music/death metal vocals/avant garde everything and tons of craft.
    Last edited by bmack86; 07-08-2013 at 09:27 PM.

I have been wanting to see them for awhile. I got to the party late. A lot of folks say Ghost (B.C.) kinda bit their style because they all wear black robes and are nameless besides the singer.

As for why they are called death metal, I have no idea. Their sound can encompass every genre of metal at separate times and all at once. It has sludge and doom tones a lot of times with black and death metal riffs and vocals and with a bit of tech in there as well. All their lyrics are about Cthulhu, so you can't categorize them based upon that. I would label it avant-garde if they weren't already called experimental death or whatever. I think the main reason they are labeled this way is because there was a somewhat similar band also from Australia called diSEMBOWELMENT. If you're not familiar and enjoy Portal I would highly recommend this band. Neither of these bands should be considered anything besides avant-garde imo.
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

Excellent. In the past month I've gone through Portal's whole back catalog and have been impressed, especially by Outre, but Vexovoid seems like their best work yet to me. I will be checking out diSEMBOWELMENT based on that rec.

I'm thinking of throwing on Pallbearer's album, but after this it's going to sound so tame.

Outre and Vexovoid are definitely their best. I keep going back and forth as to which is my favorite. I had all the same opinions you did about Portal being a slog and whatnot then something clicked, and I couldn't stop listening.

If you are asking for a follow up recommendation in a similar vein of Pallbearer, I would maybe suggest Burning Witch in place. Not as tame, but a sufficient comedown after Portal.

Sorrow and Extinction is hitting all the right places. I'll add Burning Witch to my list though.

Or you could go all Pacific NW and check out Bell Witch. You're a fan of doom, so you've probably already heard them.
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    I love when people huff an 8 ball and then come on here to show off what they think they know about Stanley Kubrick.

I definitely need to give their latest another spin. I listened to it while driving through the Kern River valley and that was perfect.

Anyone heard/heard of Valdur? They're apparently a local act that's had a decent degree of success. They're playing in Mammoth tomorrow and I think I have to go up to see them. $5, and I haven't been to a show in nearly 6 months.

I saw these guys and they were so damn fun. They've definitely added quite a bit more death to their black metal since their 2010 release, Raven God Amongst Us. They have a great group of fans in Mammoth, their home town, who just created a crazy and frantic atmosphere. The cops got called due to the insane volume and at least 10 teenage girls got kicked out for engaging in a ridiculous fight. It was a great night.

Also, local opener Through These Gates was super interesting. He had more of a death metal sound with some blackened vocals and guitar parts, but his last two (new) songs had a more pronounced thrash influence that was really cool. I think the guy has the potential to record some really spectacular music. I'd highly recommend checking out both acts.

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

Oh God this is wonderful!

http://vimeo.com/61510123

August 1 - Black Label Society
    August 14 - Nine Inch Nails/Soundgarden/DEP
    August 27 - Röyksopp & Robyn
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 5 - Seth Troxler
    September 14 - Lily Allen
    September 16 - Earth
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 12 - Austin City Limits: Day 3
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Metal Festival
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 23 - Caribou

I've been to more metal shows in my life than any other genre, so it really takes a special band and performance to knock my socks off these days. That said, Deafheaven in Seattle last night was without a doubt the loudest and most sonically pummeling show I've ever experienced. Every member of that band is so incredibly talented, and their singer has one of the best stage presences I've seen in a metal band in a long time. While other black metal vocalists use corpse paint as a crutch to disguise their absolute lack of charisma, this dude behaves like a totally deranged nutcase on stage, and it's fucking AWESOME. If any of you get a chance to catch them live do not miss out. My ears physically hurt afterward and it was totally worth it.

Also, hell yes:

I thought he seemed like Ian McKaye trying to summon the spirit of a mix between Ian Curtis and Morrissey on stage. Although the voice is obviously nothing like that. I feel like I got a fairly restrained show from them. I liked it but I had to stand right by the speaker to really feel it be overpowering and the crowd was just not very engaged. Also, it probably didn't help that I saw Swans a few weeks prior as they are the most pummeling live band in the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

Quote Originally Posted by Pea View Post
    I've been to more metal shows in my life than any other genre, so it really takes a special band and performance to knock my socks off these days. That said, Deafheaven in Seattle last night was without a doubt the loudest and most sonically pummeling show I've ever experienced. Every member of that band is so incredibly talented, and their singer has one of the best stage presences I've seen in a metal band in a long time. While other black metal vocalists use corpse paint as a crutch to disguise their absolute lack of charisma, this dude behaves like a totally deranged nutcase on stage, and it's fucking AWESOME. If any of you get a chance to catch them live do not miss out. My ears physically hurt afterward and it was totally worth it.
    Nice, I was at that Seattle show too. It was amazing. They were sold out of the Sunbather LP though
    I love when people huff an 8 ball and then come on here to show off what they think they know about Stanley Kubrick.

Hahaha. My friend got the last copy. I was hoping to pick up the black Sunbather shirt but I didn't see available at all, so I settled for the one with the bird skeletons on it.

I was pretty disappointed with Inter Arma's show last night. The sound was kinda fucked, there was maybe 30 people there, and KEN Mode (the headliner) had gotten in an accident earlier that day. I think that kinda put them in a fucked up mood because it really seemed like they weren't happy to be there. All that said, they played very well. The sound was just messed up, so it wasn't quite as great as I was hoping. The frontman Has more of a black metal growl live, and is really energetic.

Setlist was not in this order, and may not be correct

2000 Years
    Survival Fires
    Long Road Home (Iron Gate)
    Long Road Home
    All Time Low
    Sky Burial???

This band is fucking great. Some promoter kid gave me a flyer for a free show they are playing here

Primitive Man Tour

Jul 19 Downtown Music Hall Little Rock, AR
    Jul 20 The Owl Farm Nashville, TN
    Jul 21 Conundrum Music Hall West Columbia, SC
    Jul 22 Epic Problem Tampa, FL
    Jul 23 Churchill's Pub Miami, FL
    Jul 24 Display Gainesville, FL
    Jul 2 The Jinx Savannah, GA
    Jul 26 529 Atlanta, GA
    Jul 27 Sidebar Tavern Baltimore, MD
    Jul 28 The Pariah Philadelphia, PA
    Jul 29 Saint Vitus Brooklyn, NY
    Jul 30 EvenFlow Rock N Roll GrillBay Shore, NY
    Jul 31 Dragon's Den New Orleans, LA
    Aug 01 Bug Jar Rochester, NY
    Aug 02 Mr. Roboto Project Pittsburgh, PA
    Aug 03 The Summit Columbus, OH
    Aug 04 Indy's Jukebox Indianapolis, IN
    Aug 05 The Black Sheep Cafe Springfield, IL
    Aug 06 Hexagon Minneapolis, MN
    Aug 07 West Wing Omaha, NE
    Aug 08 Meadowlark Denver, CO
    Aug 09 The Shredder Boise, ID
    Aug 11 The Track House Olympia, WA
    Aug 12 The Black Lodge Seattle, WA
    Aug 13 Ash St. Saloon Portland, OR
    Aug 15 Monstros Chico, CA
    Aug 17 Dead Fest Oakland, CA
    Aug 18 5 Star Bar Los Angeles, CA
    Aug 19 The Dial Murrieta, CA
    Aug 20 TheDive Bar Las Vegas, NV
    Aug 21 The Shred Shed Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug 30 Industry Theater Lancaster, CA

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

First acts announced:

August 1 - Black Label Society
    August 14 - Nine Inch Nails/Soundgarden/DEP
    August 27 - Röyksopp & Robyn
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 5 - Seth Troxler
    September 14 - Lily Allen
    September 16 - Earth
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 12 - Austin City Limits: Day 3
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Metal Festival
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 23 - Caribou

Did At the Gates recently reform, or am I just completely out of the loop and they've been back together for a while?

New Locrian is off the chain. reminds me a lot of The Body's release this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Pea View Post
    Did At the Gates recently reform, or am I just completely out of the loop and they've been back together for a while?
    They've been active, they got back together like five years ago.

This new Windhand song is something fierce. After their masterful side on the Cough/Windhand split earlier this year I'm beyond psyched to hear their forthcoming record.

I had no anticipation for the new Caracass album, Surgical Steel, but holy crap is it something spectacular. Melodic death metal at its most developed, they really drive on all cylinders here. The riffs are constantly engaging, the solos and melodic lines are nuts and consistently memorable and they pull everything together into fantastic songs. I'm hoping against hope to make their Troubadour show that's forthcoming, as this is without a doubt one of the best metal releases of the year. Highly recommend it to any metal fan.

I'm having a hard time deciding which album I'm most excited to hear between the new Carcass and Gorguts. Both are pretty monumental comeback albums. Can't wait to sink my ears into both of them.

Both are excellent for very different reasons. The Carcass one picks up right where they left off, whereas the Gorguts does the same thing in theory by further expanding their sound. There is an honest-to-god string quintet track in the middle of all the technical maelstrom. I'm super impressed by both releases though.

I'm a big fan of the new Carcass album too. It doesn't really expand the form like Heartwork and Necroticism did, but as a comeback album it's pretty much the perfect distillation of everything great that Carcass has done over the years. I'm surprised by how polished it sounds but that's one of its strengths. Just badass technical death metal, through and through.

I haven't really listened to Gorguts ever, so I should probably give that new one a listen.

I have, however, given a couple other new albums a listen... the new Kylesa is a little disappointing after one listen. They've gone further into the psychedelic pop thing but the songs don't sound as memorable as they did on Spiral Shadow and they definitely don't have the heaviness that made Static Tensions so great. Maybe this one will grow on me.

Has anyone else listened to VHOL? It's about as close as we can get to a black metal supergroup (members of Ludicra, Yob and Agalloch) and, on first impression, the album is pretty damn awesome. It sounds like pretty classic, thrashy, first-wave black metal with some power metal-ish vocals.

I've been seriously digging the VHOL album. It's really heavy, but using Mike Scheidt on vocals was a good turn, as he adds some serious grit to the proceedings. Apparently they had so much fun with this record that they're planning on making a second one, which is pretty exciting.

Speaking of Black Metal supergroups, wasn't Twilight supposed to be recording a second album this year? I thought Thurston Moore joined them or something like that.

And Carcass' frontman said that Surgical Steel was supposed to be the link between Necroticism and Heartwork. I can definitely hear that.

It would be their third. I'm not sure what happened with that. I know when Wrest was in trouble that threw a big monkey wrench into things.

Really? I didn't know they had a second. I've only heard the 2005 release, but I dug the shit outta that. And yeah, I figured his stuff caused at least some delay.