Page 47 of 65 FirstFirst ... 4243444546474849505152 ... LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,410 of 1950

Thread: The Official Metal Thread

Default Re: The Official Metal Thread

I think Stink is saying that he doesn't exactly support a 7 for it.

I think that's about right. For me it's a surprisingly good album with some really killer riffs and Ozzy's best performances in years. I LOVE the first 6, and this is the closest these guys have come to that magic since those albums. Well, except for Heaven and Hell.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

I put it in the same category of Chinese Democracy and the Spiderman reboot. Better than I expected, but I really don't need to experience it again.
    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Oxtongue's Where The Light Is Mute is a really excellent doom metal album. Super dark, super sludgy, slow as mud and heavy as fuck - if you like Sleep you will be a fan.

You can check it out on their bandcamp: http://oxtongue.bandcamp.com/album/w...-light-is-mute
    last.fm
    6/15/14 Failure - Glasshouse // 7/9/14 Cloud Nothings/Metz - Roxy
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL
    9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

After listening to Sunbather a bunch, then going to Roads To Judah, I think Deafheaven's first album is actually the better of the two...though they are so different they almost sound like different bands.
    last.fm
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL

Paging supre?

Pug Destroyer may be the Pig Destroyer parody band with the dog, but Puig Destroyer is the Pig Destroyer parody band with the pedigree: the self-proclaimed “baseball-themed grindcore project,”* which takes it names from Los Angeles Dodgers outfielder Yasiel Puig, features members of Kowloon Walled City, Curl Up & Die and Thrice (whose drummer, Riley Breckenridge, will just be programming the drums for YPxDx, oddly enough). The band’s new jam, “One Man, Five Tools” (if that’s a baseball joke, I don’t get it), is vicious enough that I’d be worried if I were Yasiel Puig — “What did I do to inspire so much vitriol?!?!” I’m definitely stoked to hear more from these dudes.
    http://www.metalsucks.net/2013/06/17/puig-destroyer/
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

"Don't ever page Supre" - bmack
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Hey here's an idea. You know those people who are desperately poor, down on their luck, uneducated, abused, and generally ill-equipped for life? Let's make fun of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    After listening to Sunbather a bunch, then going to Roads To Judah, I think Deafheaven's first album is actually the better of the two...though they are so different they almost sound like different bands.
    Sunbather might go down as one of my favorite metal albums of all time. It's definitely my AOTY at this point. I just started listening to Roads to Judah tonight and it's certainly a bit different, but I still think they sound like the same band on both. To me, Sunbather is just a brilliant and mature progression from RtJ. "Unrequited" might be better than anything on Sunbather though. I'll see how I feel about it after a few more listens.

Quote Originally Posted by Young blood View Post
    Stop being a pussy should be the answer to all of life's problems. It has worked for me so far.

I love metal. Probably my favorite overall genre.

That said, Sunbather is Pelican with a better drummer and some metal vocals. All this "Explosions In The Sky meets heavy metal" talk just reminds me that Pelican has been doing it for years.

I think Sunbather is a phenomenal album. It's in my top 10-15 for this year so far, but I don't think it's as groundbreaking as everyone else does.

I disagree with that. Pelican did some serious post-rock/metal hybridization, but the songcraft on Sunbather is what pushes is to the next level. Also, my comparison wouldn't be Explosions, since they work on the cheap emotional ploy of crescendo without drafting anything further into it. The noise and craft of Sunbather reminds me more of Don Caballero, June of 44 or Mogwai.

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

I love pretty much anything involving Matt Pike, that being said I highly recommend the High on Fire live albums, "Spitting Fire Live, Vol. 1 & 2" that just came out.
    July 29 - Boris
    August 1 - Black Label Society
    August 14 - Nine Inch Nails/Soundgarden/DEP
    August 27 - Röyksopp & Robyn
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 5 - Seth Troxler
    September 14 - Lily Allen
    September 16 - Earth
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 12 - Austin City Limits: Day 3
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Metal Festival
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 23 - Caribou

I'm with Bmack on the Deafheaven thing. I mean the post-metal genre really hit its peak and died about 4 years ago. The main reason was is that no one was doing anything interesting with it. It had turned into the EITS jerk off party. Sunbather has taken this sound into a direction that few have done well. I guess you could compare it to something Alcest have done, but even that isn't correct.

I saw Kylesa/Blood Ceremony/White Hills/Lazerwulf last night in Savannah. I was the last night of the tour and all four bands were fucking great. LazerWulf, from Atlanta may have been my favorite, insanely tight, mathy, mostly instrumental metal. Really, really great. The one album I can find isn't a great picture of their current power. White Hills was pretty damn strong psych that I wouldn't have wanted to follow LazerWulf, but it worked. Blood Ceremony, is very Sabbath-y, with a female frontperson who plays the flute also. Generally I fucking hate flute, but, surprisingly, it really meshes with their sound somehow. Kylesa, as always, was awesome. I picked up the "Kylesa Army" arm patch, that is a play on the KISS army logo thingy. One of the cooler pieces of swag I've got in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Farnsworth View Post
    Sunbather is Pelican with a better drummer and some metal vocals.
    uhh wut?

I saw Deafheaven last night and it's up there for my show of the year. It could be that the setting was perfect and I was fortunate enough that they were playing at my favorite venue here, Red 7, but last night was something special. There were maybe 200 people there at most. The venue was small, cramped, the AC didn't work and it was about 90 degrees out last night, so everyone was drenched in sweat before they even began, including the band, but the energy there was just intense. Their sound just surrounded you. The stage was small and their singer George Clarke would repeatedly come into the crowd and get people to sing with him. I think he is a great current example of looking at black metal vocals like another instrument. It didn't even feel like screaming after a certain point. It just felt like another layer to their sound. I don't know what it is, and maybe it's the hype they've been getting all over the place with Sunbather, but it feels like they have a real shot at crossing over into the mainstream. I am really looking forward to seeing where these guys go because I have a feeling that they are on the verge of exploding. I'm really starting to regret not seeing them again tonight in Houston.
    July 29 - Boris
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 16 - Earth
    September 21 - Nails
    October 10 - Bonobo
    November 23 - Caribou

That's awesome to hear. Their upcoming Seattle show is only $10, so I already figured it would be dumb to miss it, but that review just made it seem like it would be down right criminal not to go.

Behold the Monolith Bassist dies

This is really sad RIP

Thank goodness Tom Araya has some common sense

“After 30 years, it would literally be like starting over. To move forward without Jeff just wouldn’t be the same, and I’m not sure the fans would be so accepting of that drastic a change. Especially when you consider how much he contributed to the band musically. And you can have someone sit in for him, but there’s no one on this planet that can do what Jeff did. There’s no replacing him.”
    http://www.metalsucks.net/2013/06/24...call-it-a-day/

That's good to hear. At least they're going out still relatively on top of their game. World Painted Blood was arguably the best album they put out since Divine Intervention, and they were still rocking hard as fuck up until (and after, I guess) Jeff took his leave of absence, so I suppose for selfish reasons I prefer them calling it quits now before they turn into a bunch of senior citizens trying to stay relevent. Regardless, it's still a really hard pill to swallow knowing one of the classic names in metal, and music in general, has finally reached it's end. RIP.

Quote Originally Posted by Pea View Post
    uhh wut?
    I'm mostly joking. It's just my reaction to people being all "ZOMG ITS LIKE METAL + EXPLOSIONS IN TEH SKY!!!" when they encounter the new Deafheaven record. As if nobody has ever done the metal/post-rock combo before, like Isis and Pelican and shit don't exist.
    Quote Originally Posted by baily View Post
    Eat a dick on that or did I make too much sense for your mind to take

Well to be fair, I do hear some EitS in Sunbather. Especially inspiration drawn from "The Earth is Not a Cold Dead Place," but I also hear some Blut Aus Nord, Godspeed, My Bloody Valentine, Alcest, Les Discrets, Portal, and yes, some Pelican as well. I think Deafheaven has found an incredible balance among the beauty, darkness, and brutality that none of those bands combine like they do. I think we all can agree that Alcest has come close at times, but they've never quite achieved the sheer sonic pummeling that Deafheaven has.

Yeah, I think Alcest is the closest comparison to them, but Alcest never went for full-on beauty the way Deafheaven has either. I think Alcest has more control of their craft, but Deafheaven might be more exciting for their sheer abandon and willingness to just dive into a sound so completely, with such compelling results.

Deafheaven is like peaking on ecstasy for an hour straight, while Alcest is just a cool long roll.

Quote Originally Posted by Pea View Post
    Well to be fair, I do hear some EitS in Sunbather. Especially inspiration drawn from "The Earth is Not a Cold Dead Place," but I also hear some Blut Aus Nord, Godspeed, My Bloody Valentine, Alcest, Les Discrets, Portal, and yes, some Pelican as well. I think Deafheaven has found an incredible balance among the beauty, darkness, and brutality that none of those bands combine like they do. I think we all can agree that Alcest has come close at times, but they've never quite achieved the sheer sonic pummeling that Deafheaven has.
    I agree. My Pelican comment is just a joke how plenty of people are acting like no band has ever gone down this road before. Deafheaven has just refined the concept to a pretty new and fascinating degree.

My comment should also not be seen as a knock on Pelican, who I enjoy and who are great live but who need a new drummer.

Didn't Pelican break up? Or am I thinking of Isis?

Isis broke up.
    July 29 - Boris
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 16 - Earth
    September 21 - Nails
    October 10 - Bonobo
    November 23 - Caribou

Well this looks familiar...

Oh yea, that's why...

Attached Images Attached Images

SO that's what he's dreaming.

Yesterday during my whirlwind trip to LA I picked up Portal - Vexovoid, Inter Arma - Sky Burial and Blue Cheer - Vincebus Eruptum on vinyl. Excited to have a heavy night tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Farnsworth View Post
    I agree. My Pelican comment is just a joke how plenty of people are acting like no band has ever gone down this road before. Deafheaven has just refined the concept to a pretty new and fascinating degree.

My comment should also not be seen as a knock on Pelican, who I enjoy and who are great live but who need a new drummer.
    Well yeah, this kind of thing always happens when a new band comes in, picks up a lot of momentum, and then starts getting attention of people who are not normally fans of that particular genre. I don't think a lot of people who are really familiar with metal are making the comparisons you are pointing out, but I am sure there are people who are at least somewhat familiar post rock who are hearing this now and are thinking things like that. But the audience in this thread are so well-versed in metal and heavy music that we don't require the explanation. There are a ton more bands than Pelican that have creating really atmospheric, layered, classically structured metal (with or without vocals) for years now, and of course it can be disappointing for people who have been fans of those bands for years to suddenly have this pretty young band scooping up all the attention. This happens to fans of every genre/subgenre.
    last.fm

If you get disappointed, you're probably in one of those bands, because otherwise you've gotta acknowledge that Sunbather is incredible.