Page 12 of 67 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Metal Thread

Default Re: The Official Metal Thread

High on Fire totally destroyed my face when I saw them a few months back. Meaning, everyone should go see them.

Also, The Sword = awesome. Can't wait for October 2nd.

Wheelchair Epidemic hawkingvsreeve's Avatar

OK this Russian Circles record (Enter) is fucking rad.

RAD.
    Quote Originally Posted by obzen View Post
    Giant. Fucking. Bjork. Buttons.
    last.fm

old school

Boris and Russian Circles were great last night. It wasn't quite as loud as I was expecting but it was loud enough. That was one of the best shows I've seen this year.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

I guess I need to listen to this Russian Circles. We're getting Red Sparrowes at the L.A. Boris date instead, who I'm pretty sure I've seen a couple times and liked, but I don't recall anything about them. I am ridiculously excited about that show though...2 weeks!
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Red Sparowes are good, it's the guitarist from Isis and various other dudes from different post rock outfits.

Russian Circles are fucking awesome! First time I saw them they opened for Pelican and Mono. They played Enter front to back since that was all they had at the time, and stole the show.
    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

Quote Originally Posted by liquidsnake28 View Post
    Boris and Russian Circles were great last night. It wasn't quite as loud as I was expecting but it was loud enough. That was one of the best shows I've seen this year.
    Did you catch the Life and Times?
    last.fm

old school

The very end of them. I only caught the last song so I don't really have an opinion.

Hmm. I wonder what they played.
    last.fm

So, I got to see Sepultura recently when they opened for Faith No More. I'd had friends who listened to them in high school, but I never had. I was pleasantly surprised by how much I liked them and how great they were live. They played to a packed stadium of 12,000 and were sufficiently powerful. Of course, there's only one remaining original member and the singer now is an American. They were staying at our hotel. Chatted with all of them for a while. Got to be the nicest band I've encountered. No US tour dates in sight that I know of, but I'd recommend seeing them if you can.
    Quote Originally Posted by spinecraft View Post
    sometimes i feel like i don't have a partner

Paulo is still there and so is Andreas (who despite joining after Morbid Visions is OG in my book), but it'll never be the same by any stretch of the imagination. I'd love to see OG Sepultura (with Max) again but I'm sure it'll never happen - Max's wife ruined everything. They, along with Pantera and Death were some of the few bands in the early 90's that kept metal afloat.

Yeah, I'd love to see old school Sepultura (and agree that Andreas is legitimately one of the "original members", even if he wasn't there from the beginning), but I've liked some of the records from the new Sepultura as well. I've also enjoyed some Soulfly, although it can get pretty Nu-Metal at points.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

The first two Soulfly albums were mediocre for the most part but that's about all, it doesn't touch anything he did with Sepultura - I haven't bought in to any of their efforts since Roots.

American Carnage Chula Vista August 29! I will be there!

Seasons in the abyss in its entirety!
    Last edited by Cheddar's Cousin; 08-13-2010 at 12:57 PM.
    Youth, you son of a bitch, where did you go?

Quote Originally Posted by Emma Ocean View Post
    so I assume you've never been cunt punched at a festival? Well lucky you!

old school

I've seen Soulfly play some Sepultura songs which was cool but it's definitely not the same, especially without Igor on drums.

Been listening to Liquid Metal Sirius channel 42 a lot lately. You guys get down with satellite radio? Heard Soulfly today, Sepultura and The Sword yesterday.
    Quote Originally Posted by spinecraft View Post
    sometimes i feel like i don't have a partner

You guys like Intronaut? I'm really digging some of the tracks I'm hearing on Last.fm.
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    I love when people huff an 8 ball and then come on here to show off what they think they know about Stanley Kubrick.

Intronaut are ok but if I want metal about space and physics I'll put on Rosetta. Also Intronaut isn't that good live, I saw them open for Mastodon a year ago and Cynic 2 weeks ago.
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

wtf.

Cesare Bonizzi

Heavy metal monk in second album

By Frances Kennedy
    BBC News, Rome

At first glance, Cesare Bonizzi looks like the archetypal Capuchin monk - round-faced, stout, with twinkling eyes and a long flowing white beard. But beneath his robes beats a heart of metal.

Brother Cesare is the lead singer in a heavy metal band which has just released its second album.

A former missionary in Ivory Coast, he lives in a small friary in the Milan hinterland.

The 62-year-old monk's love affair with heavy metal began when he attended a Metallica concert some 15 years ago.

"I was overwhelmed and amazed by the sheer energy of it" he says.

Brother Metal

Hard rock and heavy metal have, over the years, been criticised as the work of the devil.

It's a claim which Brother Cesare, also known as Brother Metal, says is nonsense.

He started playing and recording cassettes, firstly with "lighter" metal music, but gradually he realised that what really moved him was the hard core.

“ People think that I am in fancy dress, they can't believe a robed monk is on the stage playing their music ”
    Brother Cesare Bonizzi
    The members of his band were at first sceptical at the idea of teaming up with a Capuchin monk but their doubts soon evaporated.

"Five minutes after meeting Brother Cesare I decided to go ahead, because he manages to convey so much energy, that other musicians and youngsters often don't manage to express," lead guitarist, Cesare Zanotti, told Reuters.

Sex, drugs and alcohol

Brother Metal recently appeared in the Gods of Metal festival in Italy, along with giants such as Iron Maiden, Judas Priest and Slayer, playing to a crowd of leather-clad hard-core metal fans.

"It was wonderful being there among all these young people" he told the Rome newspaper La Repubblica.

"The only problem was that at one stage out slipped a "what the f" because each time some people think that I am in fancy dress, they can't believe a robed monk is on the stage playing their music".

With a booming voice, Brother Metal belts out lyrics that are decidedly gritty, talking about real-life issues and not shying away from sex, drugs and alcohol.

He does touch on faith and religion but is adamant that he is not seeking to draw people to Catholicism through his stage performances.

Video clips of his performances on YouTube have helped spread his popularity and fan base.

Devotion to God

His second heavy metal album, "Misteri" (Mysteries) has just been released.

In a sign of Brother Metal's eclecticism, it drew inspiration from a group of women in southern Italy who sang about Mary, the mother of Jesus, and a heavy metal version of that song is on the CD.

Other songs talk about how alcohol warms the heart but excess drinking can damage the liver, and how important sex is to man.

Brother Cesare says he has never had any trouble with his superiors over his choice of musical career and would like to send his new album to the Pope. "He is a music lover and metal is music!" he says.

While Brother Cesare always wears his traditional brown robe and sandals as a reminder that he has chosen a life of devotion to God, he is keen to distinguish established religion from faith, and from proselytising.

"I do it to convert people to life, to understand life, to grab hold of life, to savour it and enjoy it. Full stop" he says.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/7513571.stm
    Last edited by TomAz; 08-16-2010 at 09:14 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

yeah, i was looking for that video earlier but i turned lazy.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Pelican is celebrating their ten year anniversary in the coming months with a pair of shows in LA (with Goatsnake!) and Chicago. In addition, the band will release a limited-to-500 wooden box set that will package the bands four LPs and three EPs for a 10xLP (!) set due via Viva Hate Records (the label responsible for that jaw-dropping Agalloch box set). More details on that box set are on the way.
    Holy Shit!

Very nice.
    last.fm

I hope they're at Coachella next year.

4:30 slot in the Gobi.

i've somehow managed to never see Pelican, despite liking them for a long time and them touring with a bunch of great bands.
    last.fm

Go see them with Goatsnake that show is gonna be awesome. I've wanted to see Goatsnake forever and this is probably the last tour they will do for a long time as it's a reunion and they are gonna be busy with Sunn O))) again soon.

October 30th in L.A. at the Troubadour, fucking Rocktober, I swear
    last.fm

No shit.

I may have mentioned them already in this thread, but in case I didn't

Gnaw Their Tongues! This is probably the most disgusting sounding band I've heard in a long time. It's a little black metal, a little noise, a little industrial, and just all around gross sounding.

All The Dread Magnificence of Perversity

I would recommend this one first

A friend of mine showed me some of their EPs a couple of years back. The lyrics are cheap - but that's what's kinda cool about it.

I don't even listen to metal lyrics much anymore, they are too cheesy for the most part