Page 41 of 65 FirstFirst ... 3637383940414243444546 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,230 of 1950

Thread: The Official Metal Thread

Default Re: The Official Metal Thread

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Doesn't matter what genre, and feel free to mention things even if you think I may have heard it, as there are some serious gaps in my classic metal knowledge.
    This is a dangerous statement, by the way. I can see a whole can of worms getting opened from it. For example, how familiar are you with Death? I ask because I have a perfect segue into them in case you aren't:

Last edited by Pea; 01-12-2013 at 12:18 PM.

So I've got a bunch of freeleech tokens that I've gotta use up. Recommend me some classic and contemporary metal albums that you guys think of as essential. Doesn't matter what genre, and feel free to mention things even if you think I may have heard it, as there are some serious gaps in my classic metal knowledge.
    On the more obvious end, I'd start with Rust in Peace by Megadeth, South of Heaven by Slayer, Vulgar Display of Power by Pantera, and Leviathan by Mastodon.

Digging a little deeper, try Overkill by Motorhead, Focus by Cynic, Spiral Shadow by Kylesa, Act III by Death Angel, and both Human and Individual Thought Pattterns by Death.
    The Replacements - OutKast - The Knife - HAIM - Bonobo - Afghan Whigs - The Glitch Mob - The Cult - Shlohmo - Waxahatchee - Wye Oak

Queens of the Stone Age - Pharrell Williams - Pet Shop Boys - Empire of the Sun - Fatboy Slim - Nas - Kid Cudi - Warpaint - Mogwai - Foxygen - The Dismemberment Plan - Blood Orange

Arcade Fire - Beck - Neutral Milk Hotel - Disclosure - Motorhead - Duck Sauce - Little Dragon - Toy Dolls - Fishbone - Superchunk - Daughter - Surfer Blood

That's what I'm hoping for! I'm not familiar with Death at all. But this is badass. Almost black metal vocals doing Priest. It sounds like a chihuahua singing metal, and that's not a bad thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Quote Originally Posted by roboticwaltz View Post
    On the more obvious end, I'd start with Rust in Peace by Megadeth, South of Heaven by Slayer, Vulgar Display of Power by Pantera, and Leviathan by Mastodon.

Digging a little deeper, try Overkill by Motorhead, Focus by Cynic, Spiral Shadow by Kylesa, Act III by Death Angel, and both Human and Individual Thought Pattterns by Death.
    Familiar with all the ones on top, I'm also a big fan of Motorhead and Kylesa and know a decent amount of their stiff. I will definitely be checking out Death, and Cynic as well.

Also if you're a a fan of the NWOBHM stuff like Priest, Maiden, etc definitely check out Diamond Head, one of their lesser known peers. Lightning to the Nations is their best album.
    The Replacements - OutKast - The Knife - HAIM - Bonobo - Afghan Whigs - The Glitch Mob - The Cult - Shlohmo - Waxahatchee - Wye Oak

Queens of the Stone Age - Pharrell Williams - Pet Shop Boys - Empire of the Sun - Fatboy Slim - Nas - Kid Cudi - Warpaint - Mogwai - Foxygen - The Dismemberment Plan - Blood Orange

Arcade Fire - Beck - Neutral Milk Hotel - Disclosure - Motorhead - Duck Sauce - Little Dragon - Toy Dolls - Fishbone - Superchunk - Daughter - Surfer Blood

Metallica got me into the Heads. I used to think Am I Evil was the best Metallica song until I found out it was actually Diamond Head. That's one I'd love to track down on vinyl, as I love that album.

Thanks though, this is exactly what I was hoping for.

Awesome! Chuck Schuldiner (Death) was a total god among men in the early days of extreme metal. I can't think of a single musician or band that collectively inspired my old band more than Death. A lot of people consider their album Symbolic to be their greatest, but The Sound of Perseverance has always been mine, as well as one of my favorite metal albums of all time. It also happens to be the last album they ever made. Chuck was diagnosed with cancer a year after it was released and ended up dying from it in 2001. If you dig that track and this one, you'll definitely enjoy the rest of it.

The part at 42 seconds where the music kicks back in is seriously one of the most badass moments in metal ever.

Last edited by Pea; 01-12-2013 at 12:32 PM.

What do people think of the early (Pre-Chaos AD) Sepultura material? I haven't listened to Arise or Beyond the Remains in near on a decade, but I remember them being much more traditional thrash and pretty brutal.

Dead Embryonic Cells. Enough Said. Early Sepultura is the only Sepultura as far as I'm concerned. Max recently said that he wants to take Soulfly further into a more death metal sounding band, which is about the most excited I've been about him since he quit the band.

I absolutely adore Chaos AD and still listen to it a ton. I'm not certain I've even listened to Dead Embryonic Cells though, that'll be another one to queue up.

That's just the first song off of Arise. The breakdown at the end is fucking bonkers.

I've mentioned these guys before, but if you're feeling like some doom metal with tinges of hardcore thrown in every now and then check out Amenra. They are from Belgium and they fucking slay.

This is a track from one of their "rituals" (live shows). The theatrics are a little over the top, but I dig it.

RAPE STOVE

white power?!

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

I'm sure you've heard of these but i love these albums:

Celtic Frost - To Mega Therion
    Slayer - Hell Awaits
    Mayhem - De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas
    Emperor - In the Nightside Eclipse
    Marduk - Those of the Unlight
    July 29 - Boris
    August 1 - Black Label Society
    August 14 - Nine Inch Nails/Soundgarden/DEP
    August 27 - Röyksopp & Robyn
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 5 - Seth Troxler
    September 14 - Lily Allen
    September 16 - Earth
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 12 - Austin City Limits: Day 3
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Metal Festival
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 23 - Caribou

Quote Originally Posted by Pea View Post
    That's just the first song off of Arise. The breakdown at the end is fucking bonkers.
    Ahh yeah. That makes more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by kreutz2112 View Post
    I've mentioned these guys before, but if you're feeling like some doom metal with tinges of hardcore thrown in every now and then check out Amenra. They are from Belgium and they fucking slay.

This is a track from one of their "rituals" (live shows). The theatrics are a little over the top, but I dig it.

Thanks. You've mentioned them and I've never pursued it any further. I will now.

Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    I'm sure you've heard of these but i love these albums:

Celtic Frost - To Mega Therion
    Slayer - Hell Awaits
    Mayhem - De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas
    Emperor - In the Nightside Eclipse
    Marduk - Those of the Unlight
    Don't know the Marduk. That Emperor album is on my shortlist for favorite black metal albums of all time. Celtic Frost's last release, Monotheist, is nearly as good as To Mega Therion, and I'd highly recommend checking it out. Also, their cover of Mexican Radio is hilarious:

It is threads like these that ensure I will never abandon this board. So many good rec's in the last 2 pages.
    RAPE STOVE

white power?!

Just for shits, here's my old band back in '07. I'm on vocals.

I back all the recs so far. Entombed is also essential, any one of the first 3 records. Nightosaur is an amazing local band that is worth youtubing if not to just see videos of them live, their album "Black Blood of the Earth" is an amazing piece of broner rock and the title is a Big Trouble in Little China reference
    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

What do people think of the early (Pre-Chaos AD) Sepultura material? I haven't listened to Arise or Beyond the Remains in near on a decade, but I remember them being much more traditional thrash and pretty brutal.
    These were going to be my contribution. I will see what I can come up with when my brain decides to re-enter my skull.

In other news Brad Wilk ( RATM) is drumming on new Sabbath album. Not sure if he is touring with them, I hope so as I have tickets to see them in a couple of months. Nobody can replace Bill but Brad is isn't such a bad option.

That's actually a pretty great fit
    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

I'll throw one more out there along the lines of heavy metal. This was Chuck Schuldiner's last project before he passed away and featured a much more melodic and classic sound than anything he did with Death. Really fucking awesome stuff.

As I read myself to sleep tonight, I'm listening to Dopesmoker. Because, you know, Sleep.

And on that note, is Dopesmoker the best distillation of metal ever? An hour plus orgy of riffs, killer guitar solos, non-stop plodding beats and droned vocal incantations that builds to nothing but creates a singular headspace. I can find metal albums that I like quite a bit more, but none that quite so perfectly define, for me anyway, Metal as an idea.

Edit: and I have not smoked anything in months. A mostly sober question.

Just to throw a few at you :

Venom - Possessed
    Armored Saint - Raising Fear
    Dark Angel - Time Does Not Heal
    Candlemass - Ancient Dreams
    Kreator - Terrible Certainty
    Carcass - Necroticism, Decanting The Insalubrious
    Testament - The Legacy

\m/

I know none of those albums, and have only listened to Venom.

Dopesmoker is almost definitely my favorite metal album ever. But not my favorite metal song ever. Is that possible?

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

So many good recs so far.

As far as essentials, i must throw in At The Gates - With Fear i Kiss The Burning Darkness for the "Gothenburg Sound" of black metal. Incredibly influential to modern metal and metalcore, and even 20 years later it is a fucking outstanding album.

And some other favorites of mine

NILE - Amongst the Catacombs of Nephren-Ka (and also Black Seeds of Vengeance) - Ancient Egypt-themed technical death metal from South Carolina

Decapitated - Nihility - these guys are an incredibly technically proficient death metal band from Poland who had one of the best most incredible drummers of all time, Vitek, who very sadly was killed in a tour bus accident is 2007.

I feel like an "essentials" conversation about metal records must include Cannibal Corpse. Despite the fact that their image and llyrical contect is so disgusting and silly, they really are one of the greatest death metal bands ever. Tomb Of The Mutilated is a fantastic place to start - "Hammer Smashed face," to me is one of the best examples of a true death metal song that i can provide to anyone interested in the genre.

BLIND GUARDIAN is a band that many might not agree with, but they are one of my favorite bands from all time. They're from Germany and are one of the best power metal bands to have ever played. Their lyrical content is not only all fantasy-based, but most of their songs are based on actual fantasy novels. Their music tends to be fairly ridiculous, with huge multi-part harmonies and a ridiculously clean sound, but it has just always struck a chord with me. Their earlier material is very much melodic speed metal, but over the years they have grown much more symphonic in structure and lean more progressive rock. I think most fans of the band would agree that Nightfall In Middle Earth, a concept album based entirely on Tolkien's The Silmarillion, is the pinnacle of their achievements. It blends the speed metal of their earlier works with the technical virtuosity and very clean sound associated with a lot of power and prog metal bands. I highly recommend giving it a listen, even if this stuff isn't normally your cup of tea. Their is a very heavy amount of Queen influence is this, by the way.

I will definitely think of some more to add later. This is fun!
    last.fm
    6/15/14 Failure - Glasshouse // 7/9/14 Cloud Nothings/Metz - Roxy
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL
    9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    I feel like an "essentials" conversation about metal records must include Cannibal Corpse. Despite the fact that their image and llyrical contect is so disgusting and silly, they really are one of the greatest death metal bands ever. Tomb Of The Mutilated is a fantastic place to start - "Hammer Smashed face," to me is one of the best examples of a true death metal song that i can provide to anyone interested in the genre.
    Personally I prefer "I Cum Blood". Blistering intro, a couple pretty ridiculous tempo changes...and it's great to throw on the jukebox at nearly any establishment.

Would love to see Porcupine Tree there again, they were awesome in 2010...no one there at 1pm thoo
    Coachillin 10, 11, 12.1, 13.1, 14.1

Quote Originally Posted by nacci View Post
    Motorhead (medium) - The name of the band is a head that is also a machine...anyone else know a group who have machine heads?
    Quote Originally Posted by timothyhockley View Post
    does goldenvoice read these posts to decide who to book?

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JiggyVdub View Post
    Would love to see Porcupine Tree there again, they were awesome in 2010...no one there at 1pm thoo
    Agreed...but FYI this music sub-forum and the threads within are about general discussion of music, unrelated to Coachella specifically.
    last.fm
    6/15/14 Failure - Glasshouse // 7/9/14 Cloud Nothings/Metz - Roxy
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL
    9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

New Jason Newsted EP....

I can dig this.
    Upcoming Shows:
    Kasabian/Bo Ningen: 10/1 @ Metro
    Coachella: 4/10-12 @ Empire Polo Fields