Page 19 of 66 FirstFirst ... 1415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Metal Thread

Default Re: The Official Metal Thread

I couldn't believe it when I first heard that Dimebag got smoked, so tragic. Pantera were pulverizing in 97 on the 101 Proof tour, I'm glad I got to see them.

RIP, Dime.

Not seeing Pantera live is one of the biggest regrets of my life.
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    I love when people huff an 8 ball and then come on here to show off what they think they know about Stanley Kubrick.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Oh my gosh i almost can't believe I'm seeing this tonight. So excited!

Having to wait a minimum of 4 years for one of your favorite bands to tour can be so frustrating sometimes.

EDIT: i am glad though that i get to see them in a 1,200 person theater instead of at festivals and outdoor areas with 50,000 people like a lot of their European fans have to.
    last.fm
    6/15/14 Failure - Glasshouse // 7/9/14 Cloud Nothings/Metz - Roxy
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL
    9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

i was really surprised by how polished the new Ash Pool sounds. can't really make a call on whether it's better than the last one at this point... but it definitely cements them as the best american black metal band around in my mind.

I feel lame for never seeing these guys before Chuck passed...

Quote Originally Posted by wmgaretjax View Post
    i was really surprised by how polished the new Ash Pool sounds. can't really make a call on whether it's better than the last one at this point... but it definitely cements them as the best american black metal band around in my mind.
    I'll have to check this out. But for my money, that title belongs to Agalloch.
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    I love when people huff an 8 ball and then come on here to show off what they think they know about Stanley Kubrick.

Quote Originally Posted by Down Rodeo View Post
    I'll have to check this out. But for my money, that title belongs to Agalloch.
    Ash Pool is much more straight Black Metal than Agalloch... Also, it's a bit more steeped in noise (OK, a lot more, Dom Fernow AKA Prurient is 1/2 the band). Kinda hard to compare them.

just posted this in the SF thread; appropriate here too. hopefully there will be more dates because these guys kill live. really psyched for this show!

Fu Manchu - Sat, 1/22 @ BOTH

This is the 20th Anniversary show with Fu Manchu playing their "In Search of...." album from beginning to end and a second set of songs of the first 2 albums

These guys are more industrial than anything I guess, but I haven't been able to stop listening to them for days.

this video is awful, but the song is good
    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

Met these guys on the bus at 2 am today... After an aweful day at work, these guys totally brightened my night, the band is not all bad either. May have to travel to East Bay to see them.

going through my Fu Manchu collection now that the BOTH date has been announced. i love these guys so fucking much. be there or be square!

Terrorism's Skyguide is easily the most fucked black metal album i've heard in recent memory.

I have no clue who is a part of the project. I would guess Dom Fernow or Kris Lapke given that it was put out on Hospital... But the label writeup seems to suggest it might be someone unassociated with the label.

The rip sucks ass unfortunately, but I can't do a better one right now.

old school

Sepultura is back, without any of the Cavalera bros but still, they're back to touring so that's cool.

Coachella should dig their heads out their asses and book some good black metal bands but who am I kidding?

Coheed, 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    So anyone care to give me a top ten metal albums of '10 list?
    Ok this took me a long time, because I hate lists and there was a lot of really good stuff this year (hence 20) and I'm sure I haven't even heard some of the best stuff out there. I'm also not a good reviewer or writer so bear with me or just look up the albums and download them.

Honorary Mentions: Burzum-"Belus", East of the Wall-"Ressentiment", Watain-"Lawless Darkness", Kylesa-"Spiral Shadow", The Ocean-"Heliocentric" & "Anthropocentric" Dawnbringer-"Nucleus"

20. Immolation-"Death and Decay" For what it is, it's fucking great. I usually can't get into a lot of Death Metal especially when it's as techy as this, but I have to put my bias aside for something this brutal.
    19. Dillenger Escape Plan-"Option Paralysis" If you don't know what to expect from these guys at this point, it's don't expect the same thing twice. They are all over the fucking place, constantly changing they hardly stay the same from album to album. There are a ton of obvious Faith No More/Mr. Bungle influences on this one, and maybe that's why I love it so much.
    18.Mar de Grises-"Streams Inwards" It is all gloom and doom on this one. Depressed, angry, melodic death doom that could almost be considered post at times. This has been in heavy rotation lately and was originally much higher on the list.
    17. Yakuza-"Of Seismic Consequence" Prog jazz metal: it's as nerdy, awesome and epic as it sounds
    16. Electric Wizard-"Black Masses" Stoned out throwback that if you ask me has these guys sounding their best since "Dopethrone". If Sabbath was still together and coherent (for lack of a better word) today, I would guess it would sound like this.
    14. Altar of Plagues-"Tides" Put Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Wolves In The Throne Room, and Isis or whatever other post metal you'd like in a blender and what you would get is this. A 2 song 35 minute album(?) that has the overwhelming feeling of black metal with enough room for soundscapes that still paint a very bleak picture.
    14. Enslaved-"Axioma Ethica Odini" Viking metal that is great to listen to when riding a polar bear and wielding a sword
    13. High On Fire-"Snakes For The Divine" I don't think I can say anything that hasn't already been said, this is just balls to the wall stoned doom.
    12. Ludicra-"The Tenant" Just listen to this, it's good
    11. Rosetta-"A Determinism of Morality" Try as they might Rossetta will never shake the post title they hate so much, but for the life of me I don't know why they hate it so much. This record is probably the best album of the genre in at least 5 years.
    10. Triptykon-"Eparistera Daimones" Thomas G. Warrior made some great records with Celtic Frost, and here he picks up where he left off with more room to experiment.
    9. Nachtmystium-"Addicts: Black Meddle Pt. 2" "Assassins: Black Meddle Pt. 1" was a fucking beast of experimental black metal, and the second record in the series doesn't disappoint. These guys have proved they can make great traditional black metal with their early work, and are now taking the genre to new places that no one else can. Just listen to the anthemic sounding guitar solo on "Then Fires" no one else is doing that nor do I think anyone else could.
    8. Zoroaster-"Matador" Another sludge stoner doom band from Georgia. This album has them sounding more like their peers than past albums, which isn't as interesting but badass nonetheless.
    7. Agalloch-"Marrow of the Spirit" Everyone and their mother has already talked about this one too, for good reason though. This band managed to take some of the biggest cliches in black metal (snow and forests), and make it seem fresh and interesting again.
    6. Shining (NOR)-"Blackjazz" More prog jazz metal that just leaves you dizzy and confused every 30 seconds in the best way possible. This album takes on a lot from prog to jazz to metal and everything in between, yet still always seems collected and focused.
    5. Alcest-"…cailles de lune" Alcest for those that don't know is a one man French black metal band that since 2007's "Souvenirs D'un Autre Monde" is much closer to shoegaze than anything. It's hard to really even call this metal since there are only 2 songs that are even remotely metal sounding on the first half of the record, all that said it is still heavy and amazing.
    4. The Secret-"Solve Et Coagula" A rough translation of this album's title is “Dissolve and Coagulate” which is a pretty good description of this black metal influenced hardcore/grind. Grind always used to annoy me, seeming uncalculated and just playing as fast and loud as one can just because one can. This does not leave that impression on me at all, this album reminds me of a bar fight. It opens up with 5 minutes of feedback noise then relentlessly kicks your ass for 15 minutes, then you're just kinda floating along in the noise, shit starts getting tense again then by the end you're rocking out together.
    3. MurmuŁre-"MurmuŁre" This was a very late addition that I probably never would have heard of without reading someone else's year end a week or so ago. This is actually a reissue from last year, but no one heard about it so it's here. This is kind of shoegaze black metal kind of in the vein of Alcest but much more menacing with a bit more electronic sounds in it almost like it was the missing link between Ulver's "Nattens madrigal – Aatte Hymne Til Ulven I Manden" and "Themes from William Blake's The Marriage of Heaven and Hell" as far as music styling goes.
    2. The Wounded Kings-"The Shadow Over Atlantis" This one isn't going to be for everyone, but if you like Doom this is without a doubt the best straight up psychedelic doom of the past couple years. This album is as heavy and dense as a fucking boulder with some great Candlemass and Pentagram throwbacks while still sounding fresh.
    1. Deathspell Omega-"Paracletus"

BUY THIS RECORD
    Last edited by stinkbutt; 12-19-2010 at 04:07 AM.
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

old school

what about YOB? last year?

Yeah Yob was last year, had I made a list last year that would probably be on top

old school

I saw High on Fire not long ago and been listeneing to Liturgy and all this other black metal recently

god bless metal, tony iommi is my idol as far as guitars go, fo real

old school

I just love the cold, bleak, isolation of black metal, and there's just so much good music with the black metal "scenes" lately. You should see this doc with Thurston Moore talking about it. Good shit.

I've seen that documentary and he talked a bit about black metal at ATP. I've been on a black metal kick too lately especially since the genre is actually expanding it's horizons, because as much as I love the old stuff there is so much that can be done with it. That Deathspell Omega record, or that trilogy for the matter is a great example of how experimental black metal can still be just as bleak and claustrophobic as any "kvlt" band.

old school

Yeah man, my homeland isn't as bleak, cold and icey as your'se is right now but fuck, Ohio still looks pretty fucking white and bleak these days too. the new crystal castles album (obviously not metal at all though) reciprocates this weather very pointedly too.

Did I ever tell you the story about Dimebag's death? That night was SO fucked dude!

old school

RIP Dimebag

Last edited by liquidsnake28; 12-19-2010 at 04:57 AM.

Yes! to Young Gods. L'Eau Rouge is such a fantastic album.

Coachella Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by liquidsnake28 View Post
    Sepultura is back, without any of the Cavalera bros but still, they're back to touring so that's cool.

Coachella should dig their heads out their asses and book some good black metal bands but who am I kidding?

Coheed, 2011.
    Any of you guys plan on going to Sepultura show?

SEPULTURA tour dates for 2011:

US & Canada - BUY TICKETS HERE
    Jan 13 - House of Blues - Anaheim, CA
    Jan 14 - House of Blues - Hollywood, CA
    Apr 18 - The Opera House - Toronto, ON - CANADA
    Apr 19 - Imperial de Quebec - Quebec City, QC - CANADA
    Apr 20 - Club Soda - Montreal, QC - CANADA
    Apr 22 - The Palladium - Worcester, MA
    Apr 23 - Starland Ballroom - Sayreville, NJ
    Apr 24 - The Trocadero - Philadelphia, PA
    Apr 25 - The Gramercy Theatre - New York, NY
    Apr 26 - Tremont Music Hall - Charlotte, NC
    Apr 27 - The Club at Firestone - Orlando, FL
    Apr 28 - Culture Room - Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Apr 29 - The Masquerade - Atlanta, GA
    Apr 30 - Rock the Ranch - San Antonio, TX NEW
    May 01 - Clicks - Tyler, TX
    May 02 - Scout Bar - Houston, TX
    May 03 - Trees - Dallas, TX
    May 05 - Jake's - Lubbock, TX
    May 06 - Sunshine Theater - Albuquerque, NM
    May 07 - The Clubhouse - Tempe, AZ (w/ D.R.I.)
    May 08 - Club DV8 - Tucson, AZ (w/ D.R.I.)
    May 09 - House of Blues - San Diego, CA
    May 10 - The Knitting Factory - Reno, NV
    May 11 - The Grand Ballroom at Regency Center - San Francisco, CA
    May 12 - Hawthorne Theater - Portland, OR
    May 13 - El Corazon - Seattle, WA
    May 14 - The Knitting Factory - Spokane, WA
    May 16 - Gothic Theater - Englewood, CO
    May 18 - Station 4 - St. Paul, MN
    May 19 - Reggies Rock Club - Chicago, IL
    May 20 - Blondie's - Detroit, MI
    May 21 - Montage Music Hall - Rochester, NY
    May 22 - Peabody's - Cleveland, OH
    May 23 - Expo Five - Louisville, KY
    May 24 - The Rave - Milwaukee, WI
    May 26 - The Zoo - Winnipeg, MB - CANADA
    May 27 - The Exchange - Regina, SK - CANADA
    May 28 - Dickens - Calgary, AB - CANADA
    May 29 - Starlite Room - Edmonton, AB - CANADA
    May 31 - Rickshaw Theater - Vancouver, BC - CANADA

Europe
    Jun 24 - Dessel, Belgium - Graspop Metal Meeting
    Jun 25 - Montabaur, Germany - Mach 1 Festival
    Aug 06-08 - Wacken, Germany - Wacken Open Air

Brazil
    Sep 25 - Rio de Janeiro, Brazil - Rock in Rio
    Quote Originally Posted by spinecraft View Post
    sometimes i feel like i don't have a partner

Ugh

what the fuck is that

High on Fire @ Slim's on 2/13.....Weee

fucking Slim's.....bloody hell. i may still hit that up with you Sunni, despite. i've missed them the past few times they were here. dammit, why didn't i go to their New Parish show.