Results 1 to 25 of 25

Thread: Crowd Attendance

  1. #1
    Lurker
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Victoria Geelong
    Posts
    20

    Default Crowd Attendance

    Biggest festival ive been to is Big Day Out in Melbourne it had 45,000 people there in 2008 to see Rage against machine...How many do they get to Coachella? does it depend on headliners or does it always sell out???

  2. #2
    old school indietron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Riverside, CA
    Posts
    3,221

    Default Re: Crowd Attendance

    If it sells out, then around 60K usually

  3. #3
    Lurker
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Victoria Geelong
    Posts
    20

    Default Re: Crowd Attendance

    nice!! 20,000 more than ive ever experienced!!! Is it just like our aussie festivals, cues for toilets, food, beer, EVERYTHING??? or they have it sorted over in the U.S??

  4. #4
    Member adeline3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    san diego
    Posts
    185

    Default Re: Crowd Attendance

    i don't know if Coachella's ever sold out though....

  5. #5
    Member Mister DVNO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    OC, CA
    Posts
    371

    Default Re: Crowd Attendance

    Quote Originally Posted by adeline3 View Post
    i don't know if Coachella's ever sold out though....
    It did in 2007 for Rage, if I remember correctly.


    Mar. 16: Simian Mobile Disco @ Henry Fonda
    Mar. 27: Pelican @ Troubadour
    Apr. 17-19: COACHELLA
    May 2: Yann Tiersen @ El Rey
    May 16: Mogwai @ Orpheum
    May 23: SASQUATCH


    Current Obsession: All of a Sudden I Miss Everyone - Explosions in the Sky

  6. #6

    Default Re: Crowd Attendance

    Sold out when Radiohead headlined!!!!! That is when Coachella really became known....crowds were usually smaller before that year.

  7. #7
    Member Psicosis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    338

    Default Re: Crowd Attendance

    Quote Originally Posted by rio_mufc29 View Post
    nice!! 20,000 more than ive ever experienced!!! Is it just like our aussie festivals, cues for toilets, food, beer, EVERYTHING??? or they have it sorted over in the U.S??
    Can't speak for beer but I haven't waited longer then ten minutes for the loos or grabbing a bite. They have a lot of everything.
    Up Next: Cobra Starship, Gogol Bordello, Talib Kweli & Jean Grae

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    victoria
    Posts
    163

    Default Re: Crowd Attendance

    if your pissed who cares how long you have to wail. time is no issue.....ey.

  9. #9
    Member AbundantChoice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    383

    Default Re: Crowd Attendance

    Depending on when you arrive, there may be a bit of a queue to enter the festival. Once you're in though, it's not bad.

    Food lines in the food courts tend to be short (5 minutes tops), there's approximately ten million gatorade/water sellers so there's never a long line for them (with one exception: the powerade/water sellers closest to the Sahara Tent entrances in between Saharah sets get *slammed*). And I've never had to wait more than maybe 2 minutes to use a bathroom.

    There used to be a horrible bottleneck at the entrance that made getting *out* of the festival grounds at the end of the day a complete nightmare, with people smushed together and slowwwwwwwly shuffling forward, but the redesign of the entrance area last year seemed to solve that problem almost completely.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Crowd Attendance

    Quote Originally Posted by AbundantChoice View Post
    Depending on when you arrive, there may be a bit of a queue to enter the festival. Once you're in though, it's not bad.

    Food lines in the food courts tend to be short (5 minutes tops), there's approximately ten million gatorade/water sellers so there's never a long line for them (with one exception: the powerade/water sellers closest to the Sahara Tent entrances in between Saharah sets get *slammed*). And I've never had to wait more than maybe 2 minutes to use a bathroom.

    There used to be a horrible bottleneck at the entrance that made getting *out* of the festival grounds at the end of the day a complete nightmare, with people smushed together and slowwwwwwwly shuffling forward, but the redesign of the entrance area last year seemed to solve that problem almost completely.
    I never had any problems getting out. Just use the camping entrance an exit, you can get to it from a side street.

  11. #11
    Member garrett222's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    I might be wrong
    Posts
    2,450

    Default Re: Crowd Attendance

    this year will be interesting. they're selling no individual Friday tickets, correct? I would estimate that a lot of Macca fans will easily pay the full 3 day price to see him and only go Friday. Sat and sun will be really light crowd days.

  12. #12
    Member DRcube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    los angeles
    Posts
    1,189

    Default Re: Crowd Attendance

    Quote Originally Posted by garrett222 View Post
    this year will be interesting. they're selling no individual Friday tickets, correct? I would estimate that a lot of Macca fans will easily pay the full 3 day price to see him and only go Friday. Sat and sun will be really light crowd days.
    theyre still selling individual day tickets, but yeah people would pay the full 3 day price

  13. #13
    Member garrett222's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    I might be wrong
    Posts
    2,450

    Default Re: Crowd Attendance

    Quote Originally Posted by DRcube View Post
    theyre still selling individual day tickets, but yeah people would pay the full 3 day price
    Are you sure FRIDAY has individual day tix? I looked the day they all went on sale, and Friday was never available.

  14. #14
    Member DRcube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    los angeles
    Posts
    1,189

    Default Re: Crowd Attendance

    i just tried to get one to make sure, they are there

  15. #15
    Member garrett222's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    I might be wrong
    Posts
    2,450

    Default Re: Crowd Attendance

    that's suprising then. the one mccartney show in the US this year, and it's not sold out??? why not? For only 100 bucks..that's cheap.

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    149

    Default Re: Crowd Attendance

    Quote Originally Posted by garrett222 View Post
    that's suprising then. the one mccartney show in the US this year, and it's not sold out??? why not? For only 100 bucks..that's cheap.
    not as cheap as quebec's summer festival where macca played last year...about 200,000 people showed up for that and it was free.
    2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011

    Excuse me sir
    I'm lost
    I'm looking for a place
    Where I can get lost
    I'm looking for a home
    For my malfunctioning being
    I'm looking for the mechanical music museum

  17. #17
    Member zajaa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    silverlake
    Posts
    1,293

    Default Re: Crowd Attendance

    Quote Originally Posted by ozmusic View Post
    if your pissed who cares how long you have to wail. time is no issue.....ey.
    when u get to the states, if u tell people you're pissed they will ask what's wrong. pissed = angry

    http://www.onestopenglish.com/sectio...g&docid=156407

  18. #18
    Member tigermilkboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    doha, qatar
    Posts
    1,756

    Default Re: Crowd Attendance

    I have been reading the Paul McCartney fan message boards and it seems a lot of his fans don't want to go to Coachella for various reasons and are choosing the Vegas date instead. Certainly baby-boomers won't go to coachella-too hot, too weird and no seats are some of the reasons mentioned.

  19. #19
    Coachella Junkie humanoid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Orange County
    Posts
    6,900

    Default Re: Crowd Attendance

    Quote Originally Posted by tigermilkboy View Post
    I have been reading the Paul McCartney fan message boards and it seems a lot of his fans don't want to go to Coachella for various reasons and are choosing the Vegas date instead. Certainly baby-boomers won't go to coachella-too hot, too weird and no seats are some of the reasons mentioned.
    a limited amount of people are going to get to go to the Vegas show, so Coachella may become a fall back option
    '99-'11...

  20. #20
    Lurker
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Victoria Geelong
    Posts
    20

    Default Re: Crowd Attendance

    whats the word for pissed other than drunk in America ?? Shitfaced??

  21. #21
    old school Stickjohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    St. Paul, MN
    Posts
    3,500

    Default Re: Crowd Attendance

    We say "inebriated"

  22. #22
    Member Jef-free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    199

    Default Re: Crowd Attendance

    sloshed.

  23. #23
    photoslut ivankay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Stanton, Ca
    Posts
    7,877

    Default Re: Crowd Attendance

    "Shitfaced" is good, but you got to be really pissed for that one.

    Although now that i think about it, "shitfaced" usually gets pulled out when talking about the severe intoxication in the past tense. Sure people say in the present "i'm shitfaced", but most times it's used as in "i got so shitfaced this afternoon at work."....at work?
    Last edited by ivankay; 02-14-2009 at 08:42 AM.

  24. #24
    Coachella Junkie C DUB YA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    8,271

    Default Re: Crowd Attendance

    Quote Originally Posted by adeline3 View Post
    i don't know if Coachella's ever sold out though....
    It has sold out a few times.....

    sheesh.
    The Glitter Freeze

    Coachella 99-10 Vet, the run has ended in 2011

  25. #25
    Member OnlyNonStranger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    2,423

    Default Re: Crowd Attendance

    I usually just say that I am fuuuuuuucked uuuuuup.

Similar Threads

  1. Attendance
    By karma_guy in forum Questions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-03-2009, 07:02 PM
  2. Comparing Festival Attendance
    By karma_guy in forum Music Lounge
    Replies: 90
    Last Post: 10-22-2008, 03:38 PM
  3. Coachella Attendance poll
    By Doors2time in forum Polls
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 04-10-2008, 09:11 AM
  4. Coachella Attendance
    By Daithi in forum Questions
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 02-17-2007, 01:53 PM
  5. attendance
    By cnuechter in forum Questions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-30-2007, 12:39 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •