Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Flying Solo Overflow Camping Thread

Default The Official Flying Solo Overflow Camping Thread

I want to apologize to all those that have posted on this thread and/or PM'd me about joining, and received no reply. I'm not trying to ignore anyone or disrespect anyone-- I've simply been extremely busy and haven't had the time check this thread every day and update it. I appreciate everyone's interest, and the organizers of this group are currently determinining whether we can still accommodate more members without the logistics becoming overwhelming.
    There's also another group that is still actively taking members, who we may very well end up camping beside, so I'd suggest posting on that thread as well.
    Thank you all for your understanding.

Our 40+ "Official" members are:
    acarballidol (+2?)
    Alexblewhimb4U (+1)
    alicide (+1)
    arinita+1
    atishpanje (+1?)
    asktheboyracer
    Barbeaux
    bigc1
    BillyHate
    camilla (+1?)
    carasmellsok
    dakine2004 +1
    goldlion
    heyeric
    j-mac
    j. prana
    Mtmama
    nbvwes
    ng009
    OzzieKate
    pash_87
    poolpartyz +1
    replacethestars +2
    Rickibot + 1
    ShaneGimbrell
    Yabasta
    yogangsta (+2)
    ZamuelWashington
    Zippy024

Our 12(+?) "Unofficial-official" members are:
    Nightmare000r (+? Organizer of the Unofficial Camp Alone Group - we currently have crossover members, so we're trying to determine if we should merge, set up camp side by side, or duke it out ol' skool...
    djandrews25
    KootenayDancer
    maxwelledison
    tomphan1
    UrbanNomad
    stu art03
    Blazewell
    Essence
    goodbye mexico
    subjectinchanging

Our 20 "Possible, but I'm not sure" members are:
    Albertrogu (Mexico)
    aussie_surfhead & friends (+2) (Australia)
    carlin +2 (Australia)
    CoachellaVet (SoCal, USA)
    fhaa2000 (Mexico)
    hailtothetheif83
    itsmeNyk +3 (Winnipeg, Canada)
    kmusselman722
    jonas646 (Canada)
    MichaelDominick (AK, USA)
    miss_penny_lane
    Naproxen
    Stickjohn (USA)

If I have missed anyone, or misplaced anyone, please let me know and I will fix it.

In the meantime, the (4 Week!) countdown continues...

50!...49!...48!...47!...46!...45!...44!...43!...42 !...41!...
    40!...39!...38!...37!...36!...35!...34!...33!...32 !...31!...
    30!...29!...28!...

Greetings fellow Coachellans!!!

Welcome to the official Solo Campers Overflow thread (aka the Anyone & Everyone from Anywhere and Everywhere is Welcome Here thread-- with the usual, yet hopefully obvious and unnecessary qualification about respectfulness, decency, courtesy, civility etc. And with this being Coachella n' all, as I say, hopefully that qualification is completely unnecessary. :-)

I created this thread after discovering that the Official Camp Alone thread was closed, to see if anyone else was in my position-- i.e. going solo and looking to meet others to camp/commune/commute/dance/whatever with. It is open to anyone and everyone, solo or not, who would like to meet new people from anywhere and everywhere, have the time of their life for 3-5 sun and music soaked days, and hopefully create new friendships that endure past April 19.

This will be my first trip to Coachella, and I'm a newbie on these boards-- so any feedback and assistance is welcome and appreciated.

It has been suggested that I edit this top post with a list of names of people interested in camping together, as a method of getting to know each other in advance of the festival. So I have created an informal list based on the posts I've read. If I've put your name on the list and you want it removed-- too bad-- once yer in, yer in. 4eva. Yes, just like a real gang. Just kidding. Sort of. But not really.
    If you're new to this thread and would like your name added-- say so in your post and I will add you. Additionally, an informal introduction might be useful, nothing epic, simply say where you're from, and some juicy tidbit about yourself, you know, to pique our interest and feed our desire to actually meet you in person. Barring that you could also say something you don't particularly like about yourself, you know, so we can be prepared for the worst! ;-)

I'll even start: I'm from Canada, eh. I like hockey.
    Hmmmmm-- what else??? Oh yea-- I enjoy music (surprise!) rocket-pants and jolly-jumpers. In my spare time I like watching hockey and listening to music while wearing rocket-pants and bouncing in my jolly jumper.
    As far as something I don't like about myself I'm desperate, lazy, humorless and hairy. And mean spirited. I'm hoping to meet others like myself-- preferably with extremely low standards. If that sounds familiar, we're either soul mates, or perhaps you're the one who's been stalking me on the online dating sites??? If so, wanna go camping? ;-)

Ok-- enuff tomfoolery-- now it's your turn...

I'll leave it at that for now, and see where it goes from here. Thanks to everyone who has voiced interest so far, and welcome to everyone visiting for the first time.

Namaste, yo.
    Last edited by yogangsta; 03-30-2009 at 05:56 PM.

Default Re: The Official Flying Solo Overflow Camping Thread

Are Americans invited? I would understand if you want us to sit out for a year or two ...

In the trees by the river on the mountain.

Isn't that serendipitous. I was just lamenting the thought of going it alone and wondering if there might be a way to meet other solo travelers. I'll be coming from BC myself! and I'm looking to meet fellow music and dance lovers. So count me in. I'll be arriving LAX on Thurs with no current trans arranged to/from Indio.

Are Americans invited? I would understand if you want us to sit out for a year or two ...
    LOL. No, no-- it's all good-- you don't have to sit this one out-- I think you've suffered enough the last 8 years. You are once again considered part of, and welcomed by, the international community. And I for one would like to say: "Welcome back-- I missed you guys and gals..."
    :-)

We can probably work it out so we can all camp next to each other,

be one giant solo group of campers!
    "The world is changed because you are made of ivory and gold; the curves of your lips rewrite history."

And welcome Kootenay Dancer! So does that make three? Which is officially "company" but not yet a "crowd".

We can probably work it out so we can all camp next to each other,
    Works for me. Although I really should check with my "company". ;-)

hi from brazil!
    i would love to join a group of solo travellers like me.
    i've never been at coachella. how would we meet each other there??

oooops! sorry.
    Last edited by lubita77; 02-12-2009 at 02:38 PM.

I'd be down to join you guys if it's cool,

I'm coming from Kansas City, Missouri.

Quote Originally Posted by yogangsta View Post
    Well it appears the Official Camp Alone thread is full, so I have taken it upon myself to attempt the creation of a new international solo flyer/dancer/camper thread.
    I'm an outgoing Canadian eh, who appears to be traveling alone for this, my first attendance of Coachella. If anyone would like to make new international acquaintances, and camp/dance/commune/commute/whatever together, well give me a holla, or simply say so on this thread. We'll see where it goes from there. If sufficient interest is voiced we'll begin to address the logistics.

Namaste, yo.
    Good to see more Canadians coming in. I'm trying to convince a friend from Calgary to meet me in Phoenix on my drive to Coachella so he will attend too. But I can understand that the dollar isn't worth very much right now there. Too bad it's not worth more like last year.

hi from brazil!
    i would love to join a group of solo travellers like me.
    i've never been at coachella. how would we meet each other there??
    If anyone's flying into LAX around the same time, perhaps we could start by meeting there. And if enough people need transport from the airport to the festival I would be willing to rent a car (or even a mini-van) if people are willing to contribute to the cost. From what I've read on this board, it's nice to have a vehicle on site even if you don't drive it (to store a cooler with cold beverages!) Although I'm still confused about the whole "no in and out" policy of the festival- meaning how do you get to a vehicle if you can't get in and out??? Anyone? Anyone...? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller...? Bueller...???
    Last edited by KootenayDancer; 02-13-2009 at 10:51 AM.

I think I will fly to Palm Springs. Anyway, until there we'll find a way to meet the group.
    Im also curious about the alcohol. How will we drink???

Posted in the "Official camp all alone group and was denied (wuah wuah) but there's another one now!! sooo...
    I bought tickets with a friend in San Luis O and less than a week later was bailed on... great friend... anyways, definitely still planning on camping/having a great fucking time, but I am at this time going it solo... This group is perfect to avoid the awkward meet/greets to strangers... although from what I've heard Coachella Camp is very welcoming.

If anyone's flying into LAX around the same time, perhaps we could start by meeting there. And if enough people need transport from the airport to the festival I would be willing to rent a car (or even a mini-van) if people are willing to contribute to the cost. From what I've read on this board, it's nice to have a vehicle on site even if you don't drive it (to store a cooler with cold beverages!) Although I'm still confused about the whole "no in and out" policy of the festival-- meaning how do you get to a vehicle if you can't get in and out??? Anyone? Anyone...? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller...? Bueller...???
    You can go back and forth between the camper parking lot and the camping area as much as you want. You're subject to search each time you enter the campground. There might or might not be a line. Once you enter the music festival area, there are no ins and outs - meaning you can not go back to your tent in the camping area or to your car in the parking area and re-enter the festival.

Yo yogangsta - after two years of solo camping I'm actually bringing a friend this year. I just wanted to clarify if you intended this to be an international group for people coming from abroad. You might want to message the guy who set up the other group - I'm sure he would share some organizing tips. One thing he did was to keep editing the top post with the names of people wanting to join - seems like it worked well for them. Probably don't need to get too serious about organizing until closer to the event, but the list of names helps people to get to know each other, carpool, etc. Just a thought. Maybe I'll tell my friend we need separate tents so we can hang out with the cool alone people

MetaAlchemist brought my attention to the fact that I actually made the list in the other group... I guess it's all the same. Maybe our groups will join forces and create some type of mutant solo super-camp and take over the Polo Fields.

Coachella Junkie

It would be excellent if we all ended up camping next to each other -- they did that last year, putting the big groups together.

Quote Originally Posted by Stickjohn View Post
    Yo yogangsta - after two years of solo camping I'm actually bringing a friend this year. I just wanted to clarify if you intended this to be an international group for people coming from abroad. You might want to message the guy who set up the other group - I'm sure he would share some organizing tips. One thing he did was to keep editing the top post with the names of people wanting to join - seems like it worked well for them. Probably don't need to get too serious about organizing until closer to the event, but the list of names helps people to get to know each other, carpool, etc. Just a thought. Maybe I'll tell my friend we need separate tents so we can hang out with the cool alone people
    Stickjohn-- thanks for the tips-- I will edit the top post and start putting names on the list.
    As far as clarification about this thread-- I created it after discovering the Official Camp Alone thread was closed, to see if anyone else was in my position-- i.e. going solo and looking to meet others to camp/commune/commute/dance/whatever with. It is open to anyone and everyone, solo or not, who would like to meet new people from anywhere and everywhere. In other words everyone is welcome.
    This will be my first trip to Coachella, and I'm a newbie on these boards-- so any feedback is welcome.
    It sounds like it might be possible to arrange camping near/beside the other groups, with logistics being arranged closer to the festival date.

Quote Originally Posted by Stickjohn View Post
    You can go back and forth between the camper parking lot and the camping area as much as you want. You're subject to search each time you enter the campground. There might or might not be a line. Once you enter the music festival area, there are no ins and outs - meaning you can not go back to your tent in the camping area or to your car in the parking area and re-enter the festival.
    Thanks for the clarification! So it sounds like it might be worthwhile to have a car, with a cooler and supplies in it. Bummer about the no re-entry to the festival itself. The festivals I've been to in Canada (Shambhala, Pemberton) allow re-entry so you don't have to spend all day on the festival grounds.

I'll even start: I'm from Canada, eh. I like hockey.
    Hmmmmm-- what else??? Oh yea-- I enjoy music (surprise!) rocket-pants and jolly-jumpers. In my spare time I like watching hockey and listening to music while wearing rocket-pants and bouncing in my jolly jumper.
    As far as something I don't like about myself I'm desperate, lazy, humorless and hairy. And mean spirited. I'm hoping to meet others like myself-- preferably with extremely low standards.
    I hope you're joking. About the jolly jumper. That would be juvenile.

Thanks for adding me to the LIST!
    Something to peek your interest??? I'm a superhero by day. Villain by night.
    Something I don't like about myself??? That's a tough one. I'll have to get back to you...

I wanna join! I'm coming in from Dallas, TX!

Coachella Junkie frozen pilgrim's Avatar

hopefully you all will be camping next to the other board groups- I look forward to sharing a rousing rolling "coachelllaaaaaaaaa!!!" with you all

Coachella Junkie boarderwoozel3's Avatar

If all goes well and the different groups are next to each other like last year, we're going to have a massive section of the campground overrun with board members. Party.

Coachella Junkie frozen pilgrim's Avatar

absofuckingluter. shit should be crazy. we have to be sure to all set up communal shade areas. I'll be packing my 260 square feet of tarp again.

Quote Originally Posted by barbeaux View Post
    I wanna join! I'm coming in from Dallas, TX!
    Done! Welcome aboard-- the more the merrier!

Quote Originally Posted by frozen pilgrim View Post
    hopefully you all will be camping next to the other board groups- I look forward to sharing a rousing rolling "coachelllaaaaaaaaa!!!" with you all

Quote Originally Posted by boarderwoozel3 View Post
    If all goes well and the different groups are next to each other like last year, we're going to have a massive section of the campground overrun with board members. Party.

That would be great if all the groups are able to camp together. As we get closer to the festival I will see advice on how to arrange it. As a newbie I can use all the help/feedback I can get!

Lurker

Hello, this is Alberto, I am from Mexico City. This is my first Coachella and I am going solo. I will love to join the group. Let me know if there still space available and how are we going to meet. Thank you very much and see u soon.

Lurker

Add me to the list! I'm coming all the way from Sydney Australia, can't wait!

Lurker

Hey!
    this will be my first Coachella. A friend and I are coming from Mexico/Houston, TX. We'll arrive at LAX. Are you planning to meet there? How can we join you?