View Poll Results: Who's the Bigger Douche?

Voters
344. You may not vote on this poll
  • Coldplay

74 21.51%
  • The Killers

101 29.36%
  • U2

169 49.13%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who's the bigger douche?

Default Re: Who's the bigger douche?

I really really hate U2, thank you for this.

12.01 Dan Deacon @ The Echoplex
    12.03 Benoit & Sergio @ TBA
    12.09 Avery Tare @ The Center for the Arts Eagle Rock
    12.17 Baths/DNTEL @ The El Rey
    04.13-15 COACHELLA @ The Polo Fields

To talk shit about U2 is to talk shit about Brian Eno so all you little kiddies need to listen to Joshua Trees B-side or STFU!

If you are old enough to have been listening to U2 when they were good, then you're too old to use the words "Kiddies" or "STFU". You also probably remember seeing a guy wave a flag in front of an oncoming Model T Ford.

Quote Originally Posted by MissingPerson View Post
    If you are old enough to have been listening to U2 when they were good, then you're too old to use the words "Kiddies" or "STFU". You also probably remember seeing a guy wave a flag in front of an oncoming Model T Ford.
    I'm 28 and appreciate U2 just as I appreciate the velvets and iggy and Arnold Schoenberg so....STFU kiddie.

The best thing U2 could have done for themselves was die in the early 90's and they wouldn't be in this poll.

Who in Coldplay is douchey? Chris Martin is down to earth, but I have heard them putting up a U2 poster in their studio while they were writing music as inspiration.

The Killers win. Hot Fuss was good, but the stuff i've heard Flowers and the rest say in interviews has Top Grade Douche written all over it.
    FYF 08/23-08/24
    Chvrches 09/19
    Banks 10/16
    Digitalism 11/08

Quote Originally Posted by DFrank View Post
    The best thing U2 could have done for themselves was die in the early 90's and they wouldn't be in this poll.
    A terrible thought indeed although I really cant defend anything post-ZooTV.

Coachella Junkie

Had they not come up with that giant fucking claw monstrosity for their most recent tour, I wouldn't be so compelled to vote for Mr. "let's go green and save the planet oh btw check out my new production that requires 200 trucks and leaves one hell of a carbon footprint".

blue plate special

RADIOHEAD.

Quote Originally Posted by betao View Post
    Had they not come up with that giant fucking claw monstrosity for their most recent tour, I wouldn't be so compelled to vote for Mr. "let's go green and save the planet oh btw check out my new production that requires 200 trucks and leaves one hell of a carbon footprint".
    More like Mr. "Lets feed all the hungry african children... but don't expect me to do anything about it I'm too busy touring with a giant fucking claw"

That being said. Brandon Flowers is still the bigger douche.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BayAreaIsBetter View Post
    I'm 28 and appreciate U2 just as I appreciate the velvets and iggy and Arnold Schoenberg so....STFU kiddie.
    You are in fact well over the age to be typing "STFU kiddie.

You are leaving a poor impression of the rest of us.
    last.fm
    10/22/14 - TV On The Radio @ Regent // 11/9/14 - Bad Religion @ Mayan // 11/14/14 - Death From Above 1979 @ Regent // 11/16/14 - Lucero @ Echo

Joshua Tree is pretty cool but after that they nose-dived into douchery.

Quote Originally Posted by citizenerased View Post
    Joshua Tree is pretty cool but after that they nose-dived into douchery.
    Nothing will change the fact that they were once the best band in the world. Now they are great, but just less great. Coldplay, The Killers, and Muse all suck and will never be remembered for being as great as U2.

So glad U2 won the biggest douche competition. And I thought I was gonna be sad I didn't have enough money to blow on Glastonbury. Easiest "No, thank you" of 2010.

5/20 Massive Attack
    7/16 Plump Dj's
    8/7 Hard Summer
    8/14 Primus ???
    8/29 Chemical Brothers
    9/25 Nocturnal

Bono campaigned for a higher percentage of Irish income tax to go towards 3rd world development, while having all U2's financial assets moved into offshore accounts to avoid having to pay any of it himself.

Douche.

To talk shit about U2 is to talk shit about Brian Eno so all you little kiddies need to listen to Joshua Trees B-side or STFU!
    By that logic, to talk shit about Coldplay is to talk shit about Brian Eno. So therefore he's directly connected to two of three douchiest acts clutching to the modern pop landscape and making the shit unbearable. I almost want to vote for him.

Of the 60+ albums he's done or been associated with, most of them are tossers anyway. Joshua Tree included, it's one of U2's weakest albums.

Quote Originally Posted by MissingPerson View Post
    Bono campaigned for a higher percentage of Irish income tax to go towards 3rd world development, while having all U2's financial assets moved into offshore accounts to avoid having to pay any of it himself.

Douche.
    That is downright evil villainry. Like, comic book supervillainry.

Quote Originally Posted by CellarOwl View Post
    Joshua Tree included, it's one of U2's weakest albums.
    If your really that stuck in a post-punk aesthetic I could understand this statement and I could further admit that Boy, October, and War have a rawness that Joshua Tree lacks but that's the point: Joshua Tree is an amazing production. Just because it doesn't make YOU feel doesn't give you the right to discount it...unless if of course you're a subjective savage.

G
    Last edited by BayAreaIsBetter; 05-11-2010 at 11:05 AM.

If your really that stuck in a post-punk aesthetic I could understand this statement and I could further admit that Boy, October, and War have a rawness that Joshua Tree lacks but that's the point: Joshua Tree is an amazing production. Just because it doesn't make YOU feel doesn't give you the right to discount it...unless if of course you're a subjective savage.

G
    As much as Pop and Zooropa get shat on for being overproduced and underwritten and effectively swayed the style vs. substance debate in the other direction for U2, I thought they were more daring, enjoyable and realized than The Joshua Tree. I don't think it was very good outside of becoming FM-radio fodder for years to come. Achtung Baby and The Unforgettable Fire are classics, the guy just picked a shitty reference point for Eno in relation to U2, who are incredibly couric-sized douchebags mostly due to the bleedover from Bono. And the fact that their 50 year old guitarist still calls himself The Edge, which is a pretty easy factor to discount any grown-ass man by.

Quote Originally Posted by CellarOwl View Post
    As much as Pop and Zooropa get shat on for being overproduced and underwritten and effectively swayed the style vs. substance debate in the other direction for U2, I thought they were more daring, enjoyable and realized than The Joshua Tree. I don't think it was very good outside of becoming FM-radio fodder for years to come. Achtung Baby and The Unforgettable Fire are classics, the guy just picked a shitty reference point for Eno in relation to U2, who are incredibly couric-sized douchebags mostly due to the bleedover from Bono. And the fact that their 50 year old guitarist still calls himself The Edge, which is a pretty easy factor to discount any grown-ass man by.
    Unforgettable Fire and Achtung Baby represent the two major style changes for U2 but the b-side of Joshua Tree and all of Boy represent the best songs.

Pop wasn't a very great album but when one listens to a song like Wake Up Dead Man one cant help but appreciate that "douche bag" Bonos will to be different, regardless of how relevant he knows it really is.
    Last edited by BayAreaIsBetter; 05-11-2010 at 07:35 PM.

I could understand this statement and I could further admit that Boy, October, and War have a rawness that Joshua Tree lacks
    October is a terrible album. Terrible terrible. "Gloria" is pretty good, though overwrought even by U2 standards, but the rest is just dreck. When it came out I thought U2 was done; I thought they were a one-album wonder, and so I didn't rush to hear War when it came out. Fortunately I was wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Also, I voted for Coldplay, their music makes me want to commit genocide.
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

I will listen to something by any of the three. Ok, with The Killers it's only their first hit I can stomach, so I voted for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    October is a terrible album. Terrible terrible. "Gloria" is pretty good, though overwrought even by U2 standards, but the rest is just dreck. When it came out I thought U2 was done; I thought they were a one-album wonder, and so I didn't rush to hear War when it came out. Fortunately I was wrong.
    Bonos excuse for the album is that his friend, maybe someone from the Virgin Prunes??? stole his notebook that had all the October material...so they had to wing the album.

It is a shit album.....aside from Gloria.

Coachella Junkie boarderwoozel3's Avatar

Bono with his sunglasses and anyone who names themself "The Edge" is pretty goddamn douchey, no doubt. But Bono and U2 also uses their fame to bring attention to and aid all kinds of humanitarian efforts. Not to mention the insane amount of their own money they contribute. That takes U2 out of the running.

The Killers are all kinds of douchey. Nouveau douche, if you will. And ironic that they're similar to U2 in appearance and sound but without as much skill, well, maybe more sad than ironic. The whole Brandon Flowers mormon thing doesn't score them any points either. But they're kind of like that harmless, annoying douche you laugh at but don't really have to take seriously.

There's only one group on this list known to use other bands' music; Coldplay. Not only do they use other people's music but they totally fuck it up. Thanks to them Karftwerk's "Computer Love" is forever tainted. Douches.

It's still U2.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

Bonobo (DJ set) - 10/10 - The Mohawk
    Screaming Females - 10/23 - Red 7
    Caribou & Jessy Lanza - 11/23 - The Mohawk

Killers=Turd
    Coldplay=Vomit
    U2=Vomit covered turd

Coldplay did acknowledge their use of other bands' music though (well, when they knew they were doing it anyway).
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Coachella Junkie

Why does everyone think Coldplay or Chris Martin is douchey? They took a sample from Kraftwerk, so what. They acknowledged it. Some of their songs are cheesy, but every group has some overly cheesy songs. Their live show was fantastic when I saw it, and I'm not a huge Coldplay fan. He has a ton of energy when he performs and seems like he'd be very friendly in person.

I voted U2 because even though they do charity work and donate money and talk about going green and saving the world, he still did the U2 360 tour, and even had the nerve to acknowledge that the production was a massive carbon foot print while still going through with it. Seriously, that's pretty messed up.

old school

The Killers because Brandon Flowers said that Sam's Town was the best album written in the past 25 years.

Quote Originally Posted by betao View Post
    Why does everyone think Coldplay or Chris Martin is douchey?
    because they are the worst popular band of the current era and they are fucking everywhere and they are really popular with the Oprah and NPR sets and they are dumb, dumb, dumb and they play the "fuck me I'm sensitive" card and if God were truly merciful He would immediately transform them all into baby seals in Labrador.

Depending on your age, U2 or Coldplay might get a pass. I mean, my friend's mom likes Coldplay, and I'm like, "okay." U2 actually kind of had some jams here and there. 'Lemon' in the 90s was aaight. Sunday Bloody Sunday is douchey now, but it was legit at the time.
    But the Killers. The Killers are douchey. They always were douchey. They will always be douchey. Are we dancer? What the fuck does that even mean, ESL bro?
    Don't tell anyone, but contrary to what I just said, I have been known to occasionally get down to Mr. Brightside. I'm not made of stone...
    1 Coachella before I got sober, 7 since. I support both versions. If you wanna do the sober version, roll with us:
    Click Soberchella 2013 for meeting details
    -------------------------------