Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why do you hate Paul McCartney?

Default Why do you hate Paul McCartney?

NOW SLOW DOWN EVERYBODY

I know you're all going to start with a smartass quick comment. I'm not looking for that.

Now personally I enjoy the music of Paul McCartney and the Beatles. I'm not a huge fan, but I can sit down and listen to it and respect it for what it is and was. I just don't treat it with the girlish awe that most fans give it. I treat the band like any band that had it's place in musical history.

I just want to know. What is it that you don't like about his music? Because I haven't once heard anything in depth.

Is it because he's old? Is it because it's too poppy? Is it because everybody else likes it and gives it too much credit? What is it?

Get In Depth. I want to hear some legitimate responses not just a "Paul McCartney Sucks!" We've heard those all before and could shoot the shit til the cows come home. I want some honest critisicm.

So... what's your problem with McCartney?
    Last edited by Rockstarboy37; 02-09-2009 at 10:52 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by woogie846
    I think Henry Rollins' set at Coachella should just consist of him fighting large, exotic animals.

Default Re: Why do you hate Paul McCartney?

Well, I guess I am not the type of commentor you are looking for here since I agree with you on all points. But I will say this- if you don't like someone because they are old, then you suck fat dick. That's just too shallow for me, I don't care how you explain it to yourself, or try to explain it here.

I do have to admit that I am mostly a fan of the Beatles songs that Lennon wrote and I preferred John's voice over Paul's. But that said it is crazy to think I would miss an opportunity to see a legend like this. Hell, I sat through a couple of hours of the Grateful Dead just to get to Bob Dylan. It's not lost on me that there are precious few chances left to see these guys perform live.

Maybe because it comes off like a fucking Hallmark card and has stupid nonsensical lyrics? Rocky Raccoon, anybody?
    Quote Originally Posted by Monklish View Post
    Fuck you and fuck Haiti.

I'll admit i've been to a few B.B. King concerts just to able to say i've seen him not once but twice before he bites the dust. But Legend is really more determined by your own definition or preference. I totally understand if you don't recognize or care that Paul McCartney is considered a "Legend". But I have still yet to hear any thought out criticism.
    I think Henry Rollins' set at Coachella should just consist of him fighting large, exotic animals.

Actually Rocky Raccoon is one of my favorite Beatles songs and I think it's rather well done. I consider songs that tell a good story to be the best you can make. Hotel California being a good example, Most bob dylan songs, etc. Rocky raccoon does just that. It's well written, catchy and puts you through an entire journey in a song.

Rocky Raccoon's great. The lyrics are complete crap though. Bull-fucking-shit it puts you through an entire journey. "her name was Magill and she called herself Lil but everyone knew her as Nancy?" Shit like that is what gets on my nerves about McCartney.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monklish View Post
    Fuck you and fuck Haiti.

That was a surprisingly good answer.

I just don't think he is terribly exciting live.

There are a few reasons why McCartney frustrates me. But one of the biggest reasons I'm not excited to see him is this:

Drive My Car
    Jet
    All My Loving
    Only Mama Knows
    Flaming Pie
    Got To Get You Into My Life
    Let Me Roll It
    C Moon
    My Love
    Let Em In
    The Long And Winding Road
    Dance Tonight
    Blackbird
    Calico Skies
    Follow The Sun
    Mrs Vanderbilt

The first SIXTEEN songs of one of his recent sets, and I can't really get excited about one of them.

Well why does he frustrate you?

Coachella Junkie boarderwoozel3's Avatar

In brief; It seems that most people give McCartney a hard time because he's presented as a Beatle but isn't Lennon.

McCartney can be TOOOOO poppy. That music had its place in time. Now I will admit that there is a bit of awe in seeing a "Beatle" live. I still think of them as a thing of the past, so as with a chance to see Elvis live (if he were alive today), I think it's cool that even I could say that I saw a beatle.

I love the beatles to be honest. I spent a lot of my high school years listening to everything by the beatles and I watched their Anthology. However........

Given the choice between more modern music or Hey Jude...i might be more inclined to stick with my generation's music. IDK, we'll see.

ADDENDUM: I'd rather listen to him cover Beatles tunes than anything he did after the beatles.

Age is irrelevant to me...some of the best gigs I have been to are Leonard Cohen and Johnny Cash. I don't hate McCartney, I do not like the allure and prestige he has, which is based purely on his work with The Beatles. It is the same with Ringo Starr. Both have this wealth of solo material, which if you reflect honestly isn't that great creatively. Some of the solo work is downright terrible-Frog Song anyone?
    Creatively McCartney seems content to churn out formulaic content which isn't memorable. He plays Beatles songs in his set because if he played all of his solo stuff, 90% of his audience would walk out the door. McCartney should be able to do better, he has had a rough divorce, lost his wife to cancer but these things are not explored in his work. I wish Rick Rubin would lock him in a studio with a guitar and force him to write and feel his songs. I guess that is the problem I have with McCartney, I do not feel moved by his performances or songwriting. I feel he is firmly in his comfort zone and his content to just take the money. I mean good luck to him, he does quite well with his life and career, so my opinion is irrelevant. My sole critique with McCartney, is I feel his solo material is not up to the standards. I believe he is capable of far better output. That is my frustration, he has such talent that is wasted.

THIS JUST IN........

RINGO STAR JUST ADDED!!!!!!!

please god no

imagine the uproar if that would happen. it would be rightly so.

Well Ringo is the one in the band that doesn't actually have any talent or any legitmate say in what goes on with the songs. They just brought him in to replace the old drummer. Plus he just sucks so much.

ill throw this out there....

The Zombies would be a killer show

agreed. I like the way you think.

Because he was in Wings.

Also, because Wings are not reforming at Coachella.

Also, because he's not George Harrison. I mean, John Lennon. I mean, Ringo Starr.

If I had to order them id prolly go:
    Paul McCartney
    John Lennon
    George Harrison
    Billy Preston
    Ringo Starr

At first, I was a little stoked on the thought of seeing a Beatle live. Its not something I would go out and buy a ticket for JUST to see McCartney, but since he'd be performing at an event I'd already be at, I felt like it would be an amazing thing to witness. Then I saw a few live clips of him doing his thing and quite honestly, it was kinda boring. I can't picture myself standing in that crowd saying, "wow, this is fucking awesome." Its not the Beatles doing Beatles songs, but Paul McCartney doing some Beatles songs and more of his own stuff. That just isn't very appealing to me.

Don't get me wrong. I have the utmost respect for the man, but do I really want to end the first day of an awesome music festival listening to, as its been described many times, hallmark music? Not really. Its night time and I want to be going nuts. I can't do that with Paul McCartney.

Just personal preference

I feel the same as the person above me (at least at the time of writing)
    I dont hate him but I would rather watch someone else, which after a few obligatory songs, i might do.
    "It's in the K" - Martha Stewart

Since the show list is very minimal...
    August 29 // Chemical Brothers w/ Chromeo & Yacht @ Hollywood Bowl
    September 26 // Vampire Weekend w/ Beach House & the Very Best @ Hollywood Bowl
    October 5 // ARCADE FIRE @ Henry Miller Library
    October 13 // Corin Tucker Band @ The El Rey
    (someone should give me Sufjan Stevens tickets, aint got none of those)

While Paul is on there really will only be maybe 2 or 3 other options on Friday night of things to see. Who do you think they will be and would you choose them over Paul?
    Check out Sleeping is Giving in for great mixes and other cool stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Rockstarboy37 View Post
    If I had to order them id prolly go:
    Paul McCartney
    John Lennon
    George Harrison
    Billy Preston
    Ringo Starr
    That's pretty funny, lol....
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    Don't trust anyone that tries to make you listen to the Beach Boys.

Quote Originally Posted by KilwaukeePutz View Post
    THIS JUST IN........

RINGO STAR JUST ADDED!!!!!!!
    surprise Gobi set like Beck in 04. that would be killer*

*not to be confused with Killers
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFuJoe View Post
    Here is all I'll say about borders ... the Los Angeles Angels.

Quote Originally Posted by shotglass75 View Post
    While Paul is on there really will only be maybe 2 or 3 other options on Friday night of things to see. Who do you think they will be and would you choose them over Paul?
    I am guessing whoever the Sahara headliner is that will be added later, and Silversun Pickups
    "It's in the K" - Martha Stewart

Since the show list is very minimal...
    August 29 // Chemical Brothers w/ Chromeo & Yacht @ Hollywood Bowl
    September 26 // Vampire Weekend w/ Beach House & the Very Best @ Hollywood Bowl
    October 5 // ARCADE FIRE @ Henry Miller Library
    October 13 // Corin Tucker Band @ The El Rey
    (someone should give me Sufjan Stevens tickets, aint got none of those)

don't hate him, just don't like his music and fell the beatles are highly over rated.

To quote Lennon: "Paul always made us do the faggy songs."
    Granted, the man wrote a few good songs, but most of his stuff is sappy, yuppie pap. Have you ever tried to feel like a baddass listening to Wings? Their music even made James Bond look like a pussy. He also helped convince Michael Jackson that buying songs was a good investment, so shortly after Jackson bought most of the Beatles songs. He only did LSD once or twice, but was the first Beatle to "come clean" about it (probably while Harrison and Lennon were actually high). He played the Super Bowl snd sang with Terry Bradshaw. He's living, breathing, walking proof that the "hippy generation" sold out. I rest my case.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockstarboy37 View Post
    NOW SLOW DOWN EVERYBODY

I know you're all going to start with a smartass quick comment. I'm not looking for that.

Now personally I enjoy the music of Paul McCartney and the Beatles. I'm not a huge fan, but I can sit down and listen to it and respect it for what it is and was. I just don't treat it with the girlish awe that most fans give it. I treat the band like any band that had it's place in musical history.

I just want to know. What is it that you don't like about his music? Because I haven't once heard anything in depth.

Is it because he's old? Is it because it's too poppy? Is it because everybody else likes it and gives it too much credit? What is it?

Get In Depth. I want to hear some legitimate responses not just a "Paul McCartney Sucks!" We've heard those all before and could shoot the shit til the cows come home. I want some honest critisicm.

So... what's your problem with McCartney?
    Hey Rockerboy!!! I really like your thread and I want to thank you for the creative writing assignment. I did a search of the forum and there is 26 different threads that already exist about Paul McCartney - but yours is a unique and beautiful snowflake. I like your take on the issue - your angle, if you will. I can definitely see why you have such high expectations for the posts in your thread, and judging your IP this what your looking for in prospective posts:

WHAT ROCKERBOY IS LOOKING FOR

1) Rockerboy "just wants to know."
    2) Rockerboy wants you to "get in depth."
    3) Rockerboy wants to know if you think Paul McCartney is too old.
    4) Rockerboy wants to know if you think Paul McCartney is too poppy.
    5) Rockerboy wants to know if you think Paul McCartney gets too much credit from everybody else.
    6) Rockerboy wants to know: "What is it?"
    7) Rockerboy wants legitimate responses.
    8) Rockerboy wants honest criticism.
    9) Rockerboy wants to know what your problem is with Paul McCartney?

WHAT ROCKERBOY IS NOT LOOKING FOR

1) Rockerboy doesn't want smartass quick comments.
    2) Rockerboy doesn't want posts that lack depth.
    3) Rockerboy doesn't want posts that simply state: "Paul McCartney Sucks!"
    4) Rockerboy doesn't want to "shoot the shit til the cows come home."

I see that some of you have already failed the assignment.

All right, Rockerboy, here's my honest, legitimate, in depth response to your idiotic, self-indulgent, redundant piece of shit thread: you're a fucking tool. No one gives a shit what you want, what you think, who you shoot shit with, and when, if ever, the cows are coming home. How dare you hand out writing assignments on this forum you demanding little fuck!!