Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 61 to 88 of 88

Thread: Why does Coachella suck?

  1. #61

    Default Re: Why does Coachella suck?

    how late is the campground bar open til?

  2. #62
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    san diego
    Posts
    475

    Default Re: Why does Coachella suck?

    Quote Originally Posted by HEADSTRUCK View Post
    I was out there every day till noon drinking and every nite after the fest and never had any problems. One cop came up to me and asked what we were doing and I told him we couldnt drink in campgrounds so I was out there. He told me to be gone next time he came by in an hour, that was at like 5am.

    sounds like a cool cop. in years past i've seen people getting harassed for drinking at their vehicles before walking into the party; i've read abt. it on here as well.

  3. #63
    sarcastic fuckoff GeezrRckr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    the oasis of reason
    Posts
    9,996

    Default Re: Why does Coachella suck?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bud Luster View Post
    Second, SF is a totally different animal. Shit is tolerated in SF that wont be tolerated anywhere else in the world.
    and, thank allah for our small island of reason! but, shhh....keep it under your lid and just spread the love.

  4. #64
    Member ADGZ662's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    EASTSIDE VALLE, Ca
    Posts
    559

    Default Re: Why does Coachella suck?

    I'm guessing its up to IPD if they want to harass you or not. I've drank countless amounts of alcohol in the parking lot wit no problems. I even remember one year walking down Ave 50 off of Jefferson st wit a case in my hands while my friends were drinking, i'd get tired put it down and have a drink. I'm doing this while IPD was driving right by & yes they were looking at me. Just keep it low key & they'll leave u alone.

  5. #65
    Member NY Excuse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    87

    Default Re: Why does Coachella suck?

    Why does this thread suck?

  6. #66
    sarcastic fuckoff GeezrRckr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    the oasis of reason
    Posts
    9,996

    Default Re: Why does Coachella suck?

    Quote Originally Posted by NY Excuse View Post
    Why does this thread suck?
    indeed. unsubscribe.

  7. #67
    Coachella Junkie frozen pilgrim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Kensington market, Toronto.
    Posts
    6,367

    Default Re: Why does Coachella suck?

    the drinking cages thing is also an issue in toronto.

    in response to the OP:
    don't worry about all this "strictness" BS. it won't affect your experience. I suppose if you wanted to justify the (I suppose) stricter than normal festival atmosphere, it's to garner a feeling of safety. the fields, both fest and campground, feel like a giant safety net. it feels safe and okay to just wander aimlessly, lose your friends, have no schedule, have nothing in your pockets but a bit of cash, and just think about nothing but music and art. you don't have to worry about broken glass or fling bottles in the crowds. you don't have to worry about people with weapons or people there for a fight. everyone is happy, and friendly, and the ground is constantly vibrating from BAR NONE the BEST outdoor sound systems in north america. I know board regulars will be sick of this fact coming from me already, but coachella's cabinets are supplied by l'acoustics- just about the best shit that money can buy. to rival the kind of bass SPL you find at coachella, you have to go to those insane DNB-tuned UK/ibiza soundsystems

    edit: so is it worth it?
    I'd pay $300 just to be allowed to listen to CDs over those sound systems on that picture-perfect field for three days.

  8. #68

    Default Re: Why does Coachella suck?

    well i was all ready sold but the quality of the sound is exiting! frozen pilgrim you've made me a believer.

  9. #69
    old school Suffacated's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Coachella Baby!
    Posts
    2,757

    Default Re: Why does Coachella suck?

    I'd like to know why you swallow?

  10. #70

    Default Re: Why does Coachella suck?

    Quote Originally Posted by travolta View Post
    pretty sure that if an event allows people under the age of 21, there must be a beer garden.

    of course as mentioned, baseball stadiums and other "permanent" establishments are exempt.
    you wanna hear something funnier... minors can get into the beer gardens at Stagecoach, they just need a wristband to buy...

    Quote Originally Posted by miSTEVEious View Post
    how late is the campground bar open til?
    well, it can't legally be open past 2am... so even then, it's off to the parking lot to drink...

  11. #71

    Default Re: Why does Coachella suck?

    Quote Originally Posted by BROKENDOLL View Post
    Xenocide, the festival layout may be exactly like Coach, but that friggin' Bo-Hunk music and lack of rules in regards to drinking turns alot of those All American Cowboys into Assholes and Indians.
    can i assume you've never been?
    but yes, while i've never seen a fight personally at Stagecoach, Coachella is MUCH less likely to have one... i think the chairs at Mane Stage is probably more of an annoyance though...

    for the record, i've been to both so far, and with the exception of the middle hour of The Eagles, i've never even seen a main stage headliner at Stagecoach... i've seen many great acts - almost entirely in the tents & the outdoor (the first year when they had it) and had fun both years...
    Last edited by Xenocide; 02-10-2009 at 03:53 AM.

  12. #72
    Daft Punky Junkie BROKENDOLL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    15,543

    Default Re: Why does Coachella suck?

    Quote Originally Posted by Xenocide View Post
    can i assume you've never been?
    but yes, while i've never seen a fight personally at Stagecoach, Coachella is MUCH less likely to have one... i think the chairs at Mane Stage is probably more of an annoyance though...

    for the record, i've been to both so far, and with the exception of the middle hour of The Eagles, i've never even seen a main stage headliner at Stagecoach... i've seen many great acts - almost entirely in the tents & the outdoor (the first year when they had it) and had fun both years...
    Oh, I've been, allright...and the seating at the "Mane Stage" was probably a good idea and should have been extended to corral the rest of the Stagecoach critters that can't handle their whiskey. While Suffacated helped try to break up some random bar room brawl behind us, I ended up standing on the left front side of the stage and could have sworn I was stuck in the middle of a Stetson covered moshpit trying to avoid getting my feet stabbed by the points of their boots!

  13. #73
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Posts
    574

    Default Re: Why does Coachella suck?

    Quote Originally Posted by gooftroop View Post
    Coachella rules, but it does really sadden me that Stagecoach gets the camping privileges (in/outs) that Coachella cannot enjoy AND it's cheaper. I mean wtf GV? That's kind of a slap in the face to all the loyal Coachella campers.

    And beer gardens are super lame so I just avoid drinking in general.
    Dudes, it's all about crowd control and preventing problem incidents both during and after the festival (remember Coachella takes place on a Polo Field in a rather upperclass residential neighborhood).


    Separate the beer tents from the stages, don't let kids get bring alcohol back to the stages, and make it difficult for people to go back to their cars or their campsites in a quick fashion and you've basically removed 80% of the potential substance related problems that come with running an event like this.

    I know for those who really want to party it up, and for whom alcohol/drugs are a big part of the equation, this can dampen the impact, but as an old fuddy duddy now, I like it the way it is...those who want to get drunk are welcome too, but they'll spend most of the day in the beer garden rather than vomiting in front of me during the set of my favorite act of the day.

    Also, the other big bonus of splitting music with food/beer gardens is the concession lines are never more than a minute or two long. Trust me, there are a lot of advantages at an event like this to limiting people's ability to get wasted.

    As far as Stagecoach having a different set of rules, answer is obvious, it attracts a much older demographic, and GV is much less worried about how they will behave.

  14. #74
    Lurker blackeyedsiouxsie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Somewhere in the Appalachian chain
    Posts
    14

    Default Re: Why does Coachella suck?

    I went in 2004 and trust me, its too hot to drink beer. The only thing you can even think about drinking is water. Besides who gives a shit about beer when you are running around like a mad person trying to get to the next band?

  15. #75
    Cobra psychic friend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    valley girl
    Posts
    9,199

    Default Re: Why does Coachella suck?

    Quote Originally Posted by IlliniQ View Post
    and GV is much less worried about how they will behave.
    or maybe the indio police are less worried
    .................................................. ..............
    She added the phrase "meany head" to my profile.
    I hardly think I'm an attention whore.
    I train birds of prey and am I licensed falconer

  16. #76
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    north san diego
    Posts
    115

    Default Re: Why does Coachella suck?

    Quote Originally Posted by miSTEVEious View Post
    Okay so the title is a bit of an attention grabber but I do have some questions. I've never been to Coachella but I've been to most of the larger festivals in the US.

    Why is Coachella so strict about so much bs?

    Park your car far away and then get in line to be searched with your things? This one I can understand because obviously they can search us if they please, but I can imagine the clusterfuck.


    No in and outs from the campground to the polo fields? This might be the only festival I've ever heard of doing this...This is really a bummer.


    Those god damn stupid beer tents and you can't walk around with a beer?


    The scheduled shows end at 12? If not, when? I guess I wish they went until 4 or 5 am but I guess that ain't happening.

    I know Coachella isn't Bonnaroo or High Sierra but I just have this vision of a police state and being forced to stay inside if I wanted to go back and chill at my tent. Is Coachella as much fun as some of the other large festivals? Do all of these things add up to be really annoying/is it still worth it?



    I have a love\hate relationship with Coachella. I love seeing all the bands, but I hate sitting around for 3 days in a shit hole to see them.

    Yes, the rules are exactly as strict as you claim them to be, and no, it's hardly worth it...

    But you'll see my stupid ass there this year, just like the last 6 years...
    Morrissey; the greatest musician of all time.

  17. #77
    Daft Punky Junkie BROKENDOLL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    15,543

    Default Re: Why does Coachella suck?

    Quote Originally Posted by IlliniQ View Post
    Dudes, it's all about crowd control and preventing problem incidents both during and after the festival (remember Coachella takes place on a Polo Field in a rather upperclass residential neighborhood).


    Separate the beer tents from the stages, don't let kids get bring alcohol back to the stages, and make it difficult for people to go back to their cars or their campsites in a quick fashion and you've basically removed 80% of the potential substance related problems that come with running an event like this.

    I know for those who really want to party it up, and for whom alcohol/drugs are a big part of the equation, this can dampen the impact, but as an old fuddy duddy now, I like it the way it is...those who want to get drunk are welcome too, but they'll spend most of the day in the beer garden rather than vomiting in front of me during the set of my favorite act of the day.

    Also, the other big bonus of splitting music with food/beer gardens is the concession lines are never more than a minute or two long. Trust me, there are a lot of advantages at an event like this to limiting people's ability to get wasted.

    As far as Stagecoach having a different set of rules, answer is obvious, it attracts a much older demographic, and GV is much less worried about how they will behave.
    You don't happen to know where Stagecoach takes place, do you?

  18. #78

    Default Re: Why does Coachella suck?

    Quote Originally Posted by danteb View Post
    seriously??? thats bogus if its true
    Check out the Stage coach web site and see for yourself.
    And have you visited their forum. Those people are discussing COW TIPPING and sharing RECIPIES over there! Yes RECIPIES!

  19. #79
    Member gooftroop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    949

    Default Re: Why does Coachella suck?

    Try and defend it all you want, but there are plenty (most) of festivals that don't use the beer garden technique and manage just fine. And these attract all types of people. Again it hardly matters to me because I don't drink at all at Coachella but I still don't support it.

    And about trusting the older folks more with in/outs, that's a valid point but STILL is a bit of an insult. My assumption is that yes it's more of a police/legal mandate than GV policy. Doesn't mean we can't bitch about it though.

    ps if anyone ever wants to get beer out of the gardens just bring in a backpack, save an empty water bottle and I'm sure you can figure out the rest. Works like a charm
    Last edited by gooftroop; 02-11-2009 at 11:29 PM.
    That which comes closest to expressing the inexpressible is music - Aldous Huxley

    Hooked since '06

    Check my latest music video

  20. #80
    Member ADGZ662's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    EASTSIDE VALLE, Ca
    Posts
    559

    Default Re: Why does Coachella suck?

    Its the IPD People..they crazy down here they are without a doubt the strictest police department out of all desert cities.

  21. #81

    Default Re: Why does Coachella suck?

    Quote Originally Posted by ADGZ662 View Post
    Its the IPD People..they crazy down here they are without a doubt the strictest police department out of all desert cities.
    This still doesn't explain the double standard between Stagecoach and Coachella rules and enforcement

  22. #82
    old school Bud Luster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Ciudad de Accion
    Posts
    4,819

    Default Re: Why does Coachella suck?

    There arent nearly as many people at stagecoach. It is a much easier event to police. Thats why they have chairs in the venue, RVs on site, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    The middle class needs sick beats.

  23. #83
    Member sacleonard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Elk Grove, CA
    Posts
    2,245

    Default Re: Why does Coachella suck?

    Quote Originally Posted by frozen pilgrim View Post
    the drinking cages thing is also an issue in toronto.

    in response to the OP:
    don't worry about all this "strictness" BS. it won't affect your experience. I suppose if you wanted to justify the (I suppose) stricter than normal festival atmosphere, it's to garner a feeling of safety. the fields, both fest and campground, feel like a giant safety net. it feels safe and okay to just wander aimlessly, lose your friends, have no schedule, have nothing in your pockets but a bit of cash, and just think about nothing but music and art. you don't have to worry about broken glass or fling bottles in the crowds. you don't have to worry about people with weapons or people there for a fight. everyone is happy, and friendly, and the ground is constantly vibrating from BAR NONE the BEST outdoor sound systems in north america. I know board regulars will be sick of this fact coming from me already, but coachella's cabinets are supplied by l'acoustics- just about the best shit that money can buy. to rival the kind of bass SPL you find at coachella, you have to go to those insane DNB-tuned UK/ibiza soundsystems

    edit: so is it worth it?
    I'd pay $300 just to be allowed to listen to CDs over those sound systems on that picture-perfect field for three days.
    Nice statement. I agree: it's well worth it, and I've never witnessed people walking around the festival disappointed with all of the rules and limitations. It's easy enough to have a good time, and the beer tents minimize problems in the music areas. I have no problem with Coachella's setup.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    I'd rather see my own gruesome rape and subsequent beheading than see Rammstein.

  24. #84
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    68

    Default Re: Why does Coachella suck?

    Quote Originally Posted by HEADSTRUCK View Post
    So at pretty much any fest in socal then but not at all venues. I would be more ok with it if they at least let us that are of age drink in the campgrounds. Being able to come back from the show to kick back with an ice cold beer would make my day.
    NOT at *any* fest in California, but at many. It's a crowd-control issue... One festival that comes to mind where you can drink at will on premises is the Sunset Junction Street Festival in the Silverlake district of Los Angeles. Within the confines of the festival, you can buy drinks and drink them - there are no "beer cages."

    I'm pretty sure it has to do with capacity. Sunset Junction will see a couple thousand during the day. Coachella will see 50,000. Big difference.

    But, really... chill out... if you want a beer during the festival, go into a beer garden, buy one, watch a band while you're there, and relax. It's actually pretty nice to just chill on the grass in those areas.

  25. #85
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    68

    Default Re: Why does Coachella suck?

    Quote Originally Posted by sacleonard View Post
    Nice statement. I agree: it's well worth it, and I've never witnessed people walking around the festival disappointed with all of the rules and limitations. It's easy enough to have a good time, and the beer tents minimize problems in the music areas. I have no problem with Coachella's setup.
    agreed! I *FAR* prefer Coachella's set up over others where beer-drinking fools are ALL over the place.

    Don't get me wrong - I'm a beer-drinking fool, but in the beer gardens of Coachella! Outside of the booze tents, it's all about the music and the vibe... ahhhh...

  26. #86
    Member zajaa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    silverlake
    Posts
    1,293

    Default Re: Why does Coachella suck?

    the beer garden is clearly gv covering themselves against underage drinking. do u have to physically imbibe the alcohol while simultaneously watching a band? can't you get a buzz on at 4:36 and scoot over to the performance at 4:38? you will be watching the set while inebriated either way...

  27. #87
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    68

    Default Re: Why does Coachella suck?

    Quote Originally Posted by zajaa View Post
    the beer garden is clearly gv covering themselves against underage drinking. do u have to physically imbibe the alcohol while simultaneously watching a band? can't you get a buzz on at 4:36 and scoot over to the performance at 4:38? you will be watching the set while inebriated either way...
    completely... tho I do think that the atmosphere in front of a stage tends to be less "frat party" when the booze is contained to a beer garden.

    But come on, it's Coachella - people are fucked the fuck up no matter where they are... Tho not all of them. One of my friends joining this year will be 5 months pregnant at Coachella. She offered to be the designated driver back to the hotel.

    excellent.

  28. #88
    Peaceful Oasis TomAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Gallifrey
    Posts
    39,989

    Default Re: Why does Coachella suck?

    There are a lot of whining babies in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    HAY CAN SOMEONE DRIVE DOWN TO THE FESTIVAL GROUNDS AND SEE IF THE BEER BARN IS REALLY A BARN?

Similar Threads

  1. my friends at coachella suck
    By unknowndrummer66 in forum Misc. Babble
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01-18-2009, 02:26 PM
  2. you know what would suck?
    By whynotsmile99 in forum Misc. Lounge
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-03-2008, 01:21 PM
  3. How much does going back to real life after Coachella suck?
    By Trick Loves The Kids in forum Misc. Babble
    Replies: 84
    Last Post: 05-02-2008, 02:39 PM
  4. does going to coachella by yourself suck?
    By the_e_guy in forum Questions
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 04-26-2007, 06:32 PM
  5. so is this going to suck?
    By paniikd in forum Music Lounge
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 04-25-2007, 05:05 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •