Thread: The Local

Default The Local

I am a huge local music supporter. I guess it is easier to support giving all of the great local acts here in Austin, but I am sure some of you have some great local talent to share in your area. This is the place to show them off and spread the music.

I don't have to mention acts like Spoon, Okkerville, Ghostland, EiTS, Octopuss Project, Black Angels, so here are some of my favorite up and coming acts in the Austin area.

Zykos - I thought these guys were done, but during SXSW this year they announced the reformation with a few additions and released a great EP. The 2004 self titled album is good stuff. Do yourself a favor and give 'em a listen.

White Denim - This trio produces some of the best bluesy, garage-rock around. Their self-released ep is pretty stellar, and an excellent taste of what these three are capable of. Their upcoming LP will be vinyl and digital format only stating that " CD's seem pretty worthless to us"

Grady - 'Cowboy Metal' well I wouldn't call them metal really, but they do produce some of the best Texas guitar rock around. Original drummer Chris Layton, of Stevie Ray Vaughan's Double Trouble, has recently left the band leaving grady with a huge hole to fill.

Dan Dyer - So much to say about this guy. A former member of Breedlove (one of Austin's top '90's bands) and former roommate of Lenny Kravitz (which led to Dyer being Kravitz's debut artist on his label which led to his debut album "Of What Lies Beneath" being pruduced by Kravitz himself.) Look for him in your town in the near future.

and some good friends of mine..

The Laughing

Brazos
    Last edited by disgustipated; 01-13-2009 at 03:37 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Young blood View Post
    Stop being a pussy should be the answer to all of life's problems. It has worked for me so far.

Default Re: The Local

yeah y'all are right local music sucks...what was I thinking?

I should start a thread about the inflamed asshole of my neighbors dog. Maybe you twats will find interest in that.
    Stop being a pussy should be the answer to all of life's problems. It has worked for me so far.

yeah, i dont get it either. i tried to start a thread like this and it also went nowhere. if you're ever in the SF area and see Von Iva, check them out. they tour around a lot as well.

i think they played SXSW this past year.

Memorial_07

Meche is from the Coachella Valley and they would be great for Coachella Fest.

Everyone should check them out

yeah, saw Von Iva at the Bay Area Blowout at Beaty Bar during SxSW this year.

also,

The Black and White Years - These guys put on a fun show. Debut album produced by none other than Talking Head Jerry Harrison. They play ACl on Saturday...go.

Grady isn't half bad...their frontman used to lead Big Sugar, who were a pretty good band with a sizable following up here
    I'm a reasonable man, get off my case.

Hey disgustipated. Have you ever heard of Monte Montgomery? Not really my type of music generally, but I have a friend from Austin who is good friends with him and he is a pretty good guitar player. Another Austin band I love is The Sword.

As far as bands from New Mexico go, my favorite has always been a band called Stoic Frame. Some of you in the LA area may have seen them randomly. I think they broke up recently, which kinda sucks.

I don't support local music unless I like it. I think it's silly to support your local music just for the sake of supporting it. Unfortunately a lot of music here is either boring singer-songwriter stuff or shitty metal bands.

One of my favorite bands ever The Flametrick Subs.

These guys and girls have been putting on one of the most raw, high energy-filled live performances around for over 15 years now. Influences include Johnny Cash, The Cramps, Tom Waits, and of course Satan. For years they were joined by some of the finest go-go dancers this side of Hell, Satan's Cheerleaders, who left the band for other projects in 2007.

I caught their Lux Interior tribute show last night (the Cheerleaders reunited for this show)and I can honestly say it was one of the best shows I have seen in a while.

Last edited by disgustipated; 02-05-2009 at 10:03 AM.

I liked that "hometown favorites" thread from a couple weeks ago. And I like this one too.

My two favorite bands from San Diego are both now-defunct.
    Here's one of them... The Plot to Blow Up the Eiffel Tower, live at my favorite "venue," the Che Cafe:

I'm sure plenty of people have hard of them. I just posted that because I love that video. Please move right along...
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    Put a boombox playing Sarah McLachlan behind a fan, call it a day.