Thread: What time to arrive on Thursday?

Default What time to arrive on Thursday?

This is my first time going to Coachella and I was wondering what time the line starts getting really long for camping on Thursday?

Default Re: What time to arrive on Thursday?

I would get there at 9am. That's when they are suppose to open. You would get pretty good parking (close to the entrance). The heat wouldn't be so bad either. Get your tent pitched, get your stuff situated inside, have mini-locks for your tent, walk around, meet people, help out people struggling with their tent. Just enjoy because you're right next to the venue. Later that night on thursday go to the clubhouse & enjoy more people having a few drinks or just relax in your tent.
    Last edited by fergie; 02-05-2009 at 04:07 AM. Reason: syntex error

That sounds like a good plan, aside from the 9am part. My classes are done around 2 on Wednesday so after the drive, my friends and I will be showing up around 3pm Thursday. I've never been earlier but that has always seemed like a good time. Just don't wait until after 5pm when people get off work and race down as fast as they can to wait in the longest line of their life.

Exclamation Re: What time to arrive on Thursday?

last year the camping parking lot DID fill up and they started turning people away who had the permit to park there into regular parking which SUCKED...
    "conversation is a game of circles and i'm getting dizzy-- bye"

Beat the maddening crowds! Believe me, get there early, at least before noontime.

Parking will be a bitch if you wait too long in the day to get your stuff together.

Walking & dragging camp stuff all by myself is the negative side. Wish I had a toy wagon or something on wheels in the past.

Seen people bring their junk in the biggest luggage set with wheels they had.

Get there EARLY! Before it really heats up. And before all the primo parking spaces are gone.

Remember buy all your water, liquior, ciggys, condoms, ky gel, babywipes & papertowels before you park, cuz you wouldn't want to leave the space you got.

I usually get there around 9 or 10 p.m. on Thursday. The sun is down, and the lines and parking aren't THAT bad. Sure, you have to wait a while, but it's no big deal.

What time to get there on Thursday? I'd say, hmmm, about Wednesday. Got there fairly late in 07 on thursday. it was no fun putting up a tent (that I just got from ebay the day before) for the first time, in the dark. The early birds were getting drunk in the beer garden and singing karaoke, multiple futbol games going on, including american football....if you can help it, get there early. expect lines (queues) all weekend for everything possible.
    Class of 1999, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 W2, 2013 W1 & 2014 W2

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
    How can some1 still 100 dollars from a broke single mom!!!!! WTF!! People r so getto!! I wouldint do that to some1 I hate

Quote Originally Posted by jimmycrackcorn View Post
    last year the camping parking lot DID fill up and they started turning people away who had the permit to park there into regular parking which SUCKED...
    What time did that happen?

Thursday gets really hectic, try arriving before 10am though if you'd like to be able to enjoy your afternoon. I always found it rather fun being set up before hand. It gave me the opportunity to go around and help fellow campers and make some new friends!

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyNonStranger View Post
    That sounds like a good plan, aside from the 9am part. My classes are done around 2 on Wednesday so after the drive, my friends and I will be showing up around 3pm Thursday. I've never been earlier but that has always seemed like a good time. Just don't wait until after 5pm when people get off work and race down as fast as they can to wait in the longest line of their life.
    Sounds like a great plan... though I suppose I'll be one of the ones racing over around 5... I was hoping it wouldn't be too crazy around 6pm. Though I guess I'll just have to bear it.

Another question, if I have to make two trips with stuff from my car do I have to wait in the same line, or is there another line for people who have already "checked in"?

You have to stand in line again because you're bringing in different stuff.

That's why you have to get there early before noon, before the heat of the day gets to be too unbearable.

Post Re: What time to arrive on Thursday?

Quote Originally Posted by aurora View Post
    What time did that happen?
    saturday... i didn't camp but i did give a lot of campers rides to the grounds on the thursday so they kicked me down their parking permit... i took advantage of it while i could the first day but when i went back on saturday the lot was closed off... you are supposed to be able to come & go as you please w/the permit (go into town for supplies etc)... anyways saturday i had to park in a regular lot... sunday a even FARTHER regular lot...
    -shrugs-

in the grand scheme it was no big deal... i was glad to use it the first day
    "conversation is a game of circles and i'm getting dizzy-- bye"

The earliest I ever got there was about 3-4pm, line wasnt terriblely long. I would try for everything in one tip unless you need two trips, then i would save flats of water or coolers for round 2. Side entrance for re-entry would check those for us and the girls' purses.

At that time, we got a good middle spot on the camp ground. Close enough to showers & honey huts, but far enough to escape the smell.

My only question/concern would be if you're there really early, are you close to and within smelling range of the honey huts?

The "re-entry" entrances sound good but I've never seen it work consistently. One thing - in years past - when you check in (go through line, get wristband, get searched) you're given a card to put on your car - to identify your car being allowed to stay overnight in camper's parking lot. That means someone HAS to go back to put the tag on the car. You can make a second trip with more stuff (waiting in line again) or - hopefully - get in a "re-entry" entrance if you're not carrying anything. Or much of anything. Varies widely.

I like getting set-up before dark, but I've done it in the dark too...it doesn't really matter because the music starts the next day, and that's all that matters.

I have a Question, I bought the 55 dlls ticket to camp, can i get into the camp site on thursday or do i have to wait till friday??

And if so, at what time does the gates close on thursday??

you can get in on Thursday, the gates don't close that I remember... people are coming and going at all hours.

the registration for new campers might close, i'd check the faq for that.

Registration goes straight through from Thursday at 10am or something all the way until the next day(Friday) till like 10pm. Jesus people, read.

i got there at 3 AM friday morning last year, good and bad. There wasnt much of a line but we didn't get everything set up till 6 and by the time we feel asleep it was 7 or 8, the sun came up and kept us awake after that, so we got about an hours sleep which was a horrible way to begin the weekend! We were tired all weekend long. So dont get there at 3AM not a good idea

Getting there super early has its perks this year I believe the plan is to arrive as early as possible to set up, and spend the day getting to know other campers. the people that show up early on thursday, the hardcore coachella people, are my favorite people ever.
    My entire universe exploded right in front of me, and all I could do was laugh about it.

I'm saving my extra camping spot for Charlie Sheen.

We get there around 8 am or so and are usually some of the first people in line. We like being close to the showers so we don't have to wait in line
    "Never argue with fools, because from a distance, people can't tell who is who"

Quote Originally Posted by MonOm View Post
    You know what else is dumb - that you started a John Mayer thread.

L.A., Chicago, North Carolina, Virginia Beach, Central cali, Oregon, L.A.

last year was not as bad by far as 2007. The campgrounds weren't even half as full as they were last year when arrived there even on early Friday afternoon. But I guess 2007 was due to the RAGE reunion. That was crazy shit that year. I mean we got there Thursday night at midnight and people were coming in like crazy. I remember crashing out and wakin up at 3 AM, walked around outside and it was like day time 3 oclock. It was like a circus, people walkin around everywhere, playin soccer, playin music, and the festival didn't even start yet. Best year of campin for me, good shit man, good shit!
    beezwax

Quote Originally Posted by jimmycrackcorn View Post
    Ahh! This happened to my group too.
    2008, 2009, 2011, 2012-2, 2013-1...

L.A., Chicago, North Carolina, Virginia Beach, Central cali, Oregon, L.A.

agree, that was gay
    beezwax

Quote Originally Posted by fergie View Post

That's why you have to get there early before noon, before the heat of the day gets to be too unbearable.
    we just had fires rip through 1/2 of our state.. it was 120*f and 70mile winds im sure the heat wont be a problem!