Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Earplugs - please read

Default Earplugs - please read

Hey everyone,

Given the legendary noise levels we are about to experience with My Bloody Valentine, can I humbly recommend the following earplugs?

http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er20.aspx

They're like $12 or something, and sound wonderful - none of that muffled sound you get with the squishy orange ones. Everything is basically just turned down a bit, across all frequencies.

(Sorry if this looks like an ad - I just really like mine, and also don't want you all going def before the Cure come on!)

Default Re: Earplugs - please read

BOSS TIME

Earpugs= aural heaven

I'll be wearing a hearing aid - I want it to be even louder!
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

i'm sure if i can handle Ministry in a small club or handle standing in front of the stacks for Aphex Twin, i can handle MBV over the polo fields...

(although i will feel sorry for whoever plays Outdoor during them... ala Swell Season during Raconteurs)

Quote Originally Posted by PLURallovermyface View Post
    i'm sure if i can handle Ministry in a small club or handle standing in front of the stacks for Aphex Twin, i can handle MBV over the polo fields...

It's not about what you can "handle" at the time, it's about the long-term effects. Stupid.

I'm afraid that I'm going to need earplugs that are more industrial strength than what I currently have, especially for MBV. The ones I have look a lot like the ones in that link, and they don't really change the volume all that much.

Or the Cure against Le Tigre. Although, that was the other way around.
    HEALTH for 2010

Memorial_07

As long as the ear plugs don't make them sound all muffled and drowns them out I'll wear them. Actually, I'll see if I can take it after the first song and If I can't then I'm wearing them

I'm very nervous about seeing them

Huh?
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Quote Originally Posted by Memorial_07 View Post
    As long as the ear plugs don't make them sound all muffled and drowns them out I'll wear them. Actually, I'll see if I can take it after the first song and If I can't then I'm wearing them

I'm very nervous about seeing them
    You're putting way too much faith in ear plugs.

I wear them, but by they do not (BY FAR) reduce the sound level to the point of distorting what you're hearing or reducing the enjoyment of the performance.

They work slightly better than plugging your ears with your fingers unless you really CRAM them down your ear canal which isn't advisable anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by thewindowliquor View Post
    No. I push you down. Always.

While the etymotics aren't perfeect... they are WAY better than the cheapo foam ones you can buy at the convenience store. The etymotics distort the sound alot less... it sounds similar, just a touch softer.

And yeah, at an outdoor festival sound isn't quite as big of an issue as long as you're not standing very near a speaker, because the sound pressure dissipates into the sky, air, open space, etc. Coachella also does a very good job with their sound levels and whatnot.

Still, I started wearing earplugs 4 years ago and found I actually like performances more with the Etymotics in than without these days. It takes some of the harsher edges off, especially in the trebles.

i have the ER20s. I used them at My Bloody Valentine. They were nice.
    *based upon tedious fact checking.

On a positive note....If you go def, you can still post on the message board.
    New York Ice Cream TV Travel Good Times

You never know when the sound levels will be too high. For example, we ended up in front of the speakers for Dresden Dolls, and that is the loudest I have ever experienced. Just one keyboardist/vocalist and one drummer, I think the sound guys cranked it to 11 not knowing that Dresden Dolls is not a quiet band.

My problem with ear plugs is they only seem to block the higher frequencies. Maybe I'll give these ear plugs a try.

there were reports of people who weren't wearing earplugs during MBV's "noise holocaust" at the end of the set who actually puked from the physical pain.

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamTaft View Post
    there were reports of people who weren't wearing earplugs during MBV's "noise holocaust" at the end of the set who actually puked from the physical pain.
    I'm very tempted to sig that... lol
    My main concert footage YouTube Channel
    http://www.youtube.com/magmazing

My Backup channel: http://www.youtube.com/magmazingmusic

My website: http://www.magmazingmusic.com

at their first show in california on their first ever american tour, people passed out, literally knocked out, by how loud it was.

Exposure to both extremes in high-end and low-end can do some pretty fucked up things. I was reading a while ago about a study someone did where they examined a bunch of people's lungs and found that people who were suffering from lung tissue deterioration typically attended hip-hop shows on a regular basis. The theory was that the extreme bass frequencies of the kick drum was actually damaging the lungs. high amounts of low end also can disrupt breathing patterns, which would cause some people to pass out.

thanks for all the advice, picking some up for this year
    Quote Originally Posted by paganman7 View Post
    I had a dream that my wife cheated on me with Calmer. True story.
    Quote Originally Posted by TeamCoachellaHellYeah View Post
    Did you find pee in her butt?

Quote Originally Posted by NightGoat View Post
    Exposure to both extremes in high-end and low-end can do some pretty fucked up things. I was reading a while ago about a study someone did where they examined a bunch of people's lungs and found that people who were suffering from lung tissue deterioration typically attended hip-hop shows on a regular basis. The theory was that the extreme bass frequencies of the kick drum was actually damaging the lungs. high amounts of low end also can disrupt breathing patterns, which would cause some people to pass out.
    Wow - degenerative lung disease? That sounds credible. It appears hip-hop is even more dangerous than initially suspected. They should put that on the cd right next to the parental advisory sticker.
    Last edited by bobert; 02-05-2009 at 10:04 AM.

I've actually experienced this, it's partly way I HATE bass heavy songs. It's a terrible feeling for you breathing to be externally regulated

Quote Originally Posted by clarky123 View Post
    Fuck your formal education up for music and stop being a coward.
    Quote Originally Posted by braundiggity View Post
    I dunno. Lots of the arguments seem hypocritical to me. Can't we leave it simply as: I loved the shit out of it, some hated the shit out of it, and that's just how some shows go?
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/musicislife/

Karma Police are coming for you

you know people also smoke a lot of weed at hip hop shows?

Or you could do the smarter thing and just stay as far away from My Bloody Valentine's noisy crapfest as possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monklish View Post
    Fuck you and fuck Haiti.

ear hair makes for good earplugs

Or you could do the smarter thing and just stay as far away from My Bloody Valentine's noisy crapfest as possible.
    I'm leaning towards this. Sure, big pioneers, blah blah blah. they sound like shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by paganman7 View Post
    I had a dream that my wife cheated on me with Calmer. True story.
    Quote Originally Posted by TeamCoachellaHellYeah View Post
    Did you find pee in her butt?

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamTaft View Post
    you know people also smoke a lot of weed at hip hop shows?
    I'm assuming that whatever tests they conducted accounted for smoking habits. I'd think that lung degeneration caused by low frequencies would look quite different from lung degeneration caused by smoking.

Anyway, the message here isn't don't go to loud shows, it's just don't go to loud shows too much. Anyway, I don't think it's something to worry a ton about. But yeah, that pretty much explains why people pass out and whatnot when sounds are really loud. \

lolololol

may i also note that when i saw MBV in LA, i was at the very front on the rail in front of Bilinda, and the guy next to the guy on my right was this indian dude who had been following their tour every single date in the US. during the holocaust he took his earplugs out and held them in the air as he clenched his teeth and scrunched his eyes REALLLL tight, and just stood there shaking violently with this look on his face that was the combination of 4 faces:
    -the face you make when you eat poop on accident
    -the face you make during your very first orgasm
    -the face you make when getting stabbed in the gut
    -the face you make when you fall off a cliff and know you are 10 seconds away from splatting on the ground

i didn't see him afterward, but i wonder what his head felt like for the next few days...

Lurker

same idea, different brand:
    http://hearos.com/earplugs/products-00211.html

these have saved my ears on several small venue/big sound system occasions. definitely worth the investment over the cheap foam kinds.