Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Live Nation and Ticketmaster To Merge

Default Re: Live Nation and Ticketmaster To Merge

Quote Originally Posted by liquidsnake28 View Post
    No shit 4Ransom, most arena shows are GA floor. We're talking about GA everything, all the seats, the whole fucking arena GA.
    oh, sorry, i misunderstood. still, if you ask me, its not a big deal as long as they limit the capacity onto the floor. if they just let the whole crowd try to cram onto the floor, then yea...dangerous.
    Let's go on a livin' spree!

Coachella Junkie psycobetabuckdown's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    Because its a disaster in the making. Look into history and youll see why. Again, the Who has been mentioned twice now, and you cease to acknowledge that.
    Haha what? I'm not rage. I'm on your side. And I was like the first person to acknowledge The Who mention.

My question is why isn't Coachella a disaster in the making?
    Ron Paul 2012!

Upcoming Shows:
    Four Tet
    Coachella 4/20-4/22
    Death Cab for Cutie/Magik Magik Orchestra
    Radiohead
    some other bands

ummmm HARD Summer '09 anyone?

11/21 - Pearl Jam - Viejas Arena

Quote Originally Posted by psycobetabuckdown View Post
    Haha what? I'm not rage. I'm on your side. And I was like the first person to acknowledge The Who mention.

My question is why isn't Coachella a disaster in the making?
    Because you have 5 stages to pick from. Crowd control in a sense happens when set times are being made. You dont think Paul Tollet thinks in his head how people will move in and out of areas so it isnt always full? Yeah, this year he decided to plant a majority of the top talent on Outdoor Theatre, so everyone was there quite a bit of the time, but usually its not like that. Everything is spread out, people have to make choices on where to be, cause you cant be in every place. Also, they planned accordingly with bigger tents and more Pa so people far away could see or hear. But, they sold more tickets, than they should have, so things like parking became an issue that wasnt easily quantified.

Longtime promoter Brian Murphy departs Live Nation to join forces with AEG Live
    January 9, 2011 | 7:30 pm
    In a surprise move that has wide-reaching implications for the local live music scene, Brian Murphy, former chairman of Southern California music for Live Nation, the country’s top concert promoter, has jumped ship to become West Coast president for AEG Live — Live Nation’s strongest competitor.

“It was the toughest decision I’ve ever had to make in business,” Murphy said in an exclusive interview with The Times. “There are employees I’m leaving who have been with me for 20 years. But it was too good an opportunity to pass up. I’m an L.A. guy, and AEG Live is an L.A.-centric company.”

One of the most respected promoters in the American concert industry — and a pillar of the SoCal scene, the country’s most competitive live music market — Murphy has worked closely with a Who’s Who of pop music’s biggest touring acts: U2, Bruce Springsteen, AC/DC, Madonna, the Red Hot Chili Peppers and Metallica among them.

Rick Mueller will remain in place as president of Live Nation’s California division.

Over a 30-year career that he began by booking gigs while still in college, Murphy established Avalon Attractions (a dominant L.A. indie promotions company that was acquired by SFX, the company that presaged Live Nation, in 1998) and has forged close connections with a network of influential music industry contacts. Among them: programming directors at radio stations such as KROQ-FM (106.7) and KIIS-FM (102.7) and real estate developers (Murphy oversaw the rehabilitation of such cherished local music venues as Los Angeles’ Wiltern Theatre and the Hollywood Palladium). But the promoter’s deep relationships with talent agents and managers could provide a critical advantage for AEG Live — particularly at the arena-show level where Live Nation and AEG Live compete most fiercely to pin down top-tier performers.

Paul Tollett, co-founder of the Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival and president of Goldenvoice, AEG Live’s Southern California-based regional division, will work side by side with Murphy in his new capacity; Murphy will oversee concert promotions from Seattle to San Diego as well as AEG venues in Las Vegas. Despite their parent companies’ corporate rivalry, the two have been friends for over a quarter-century, have co-promoted hundreds of shows together and have mutually attempted to hire one each other away several times.

“I’ve always thought he’s the most solid promoter out there,” said Tollett. “His relationships span generations to the biggest names in touring. To have us both on the same team is pretty great. My main competition before was Brian.”

Randy Phillips, chief executive of AEG Live, hailed Murphy as an “iconic promoter” and his part in a new initiative for AEG Live, spearheading the company’s shift emphasis from only providing venues — like downtown L.A.’s Nokia Theatre, the Warfield in San Francisco or Staples Center — where acts perform to becoming a more full-service organization.

“Having Brian really completes us as a company on the West Coast,” Phillips said. “We’ll be booking more shows at the Nokia at the expense of the [Live Nation-owned] Gibson Amphitheatre. We’ll be promoting more shows at Staples as promoters. We’ll be more vibrant, more important as a local promoter as opposed to being just a venue operator. It’s a game-changer.”

Murphy’s move to AEG Live arrives at a time of recent turmoil in the live music industry. Last year, concert ticket sales plummeted and prominent acts including Christina Aguilera, Rihanna and the Jonas Brothers canceled and postponed tours while engagements by the likes of the Eagles, Lillith Fair and American Idols Live! were rescheduled or scaled back.

Still, Murphy, 63, said his love of concert promotions remains undiminished after three decades in the business.

“I love promoting concerts, every aspect of it,” he said. “I’m a very hands-on promoter: working out marketing, ticketing, promotions, right down to night of show. Bands that work with me deserve my undivided attention.”

Asked what had triggered his exit from Live Nation, Murphy denied bad blood had anything to do with it, explaining the company had simply allowed his contract to expire at the time Phillips approached him with what seemed like to good an offer to refuse.

“This is not about animosity, not about anything that happened in the past,” Murphy said. “This was about opportunity. I have the opportunity to think about what I’m going to do next.”
    -- Chris Lee
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

“This is not about animosity, not about anything that happened in the past,” Murphy said. “This was about opportunity. I have the opportunity to think about what I’m going to do next.”
    He's 63. I like this guy.

AEG starting up their new ticketing service.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/ente...l?dlvrit=52115

nice. guess Club Nokia, Nokia Theater and other AEG/GV venues will eventually go this way. ticketfly seems to have picked up a lot of business lately, with a third big player (since ticketweb doesn't count) we may finally see a real reduction in fees.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Which healthcare provider will euthanize you the fastest as a service to society?
    8/22 NIN@Verizon - 8/23&24 FYF Fest - 9/2 Bear in Heaven@Echoplex - 9/4 Phantogram@Fox Pomona - 9/6 Atmosphere@Palladium - 9/10 Britney Spears - 9/23 La Roux@Fonda - 9/26 Die Antwoord@Observatory - 10/8 Gus Gus@Roxy - 10/10 Twin Shadow@Glass House - 10/12,19,26 IAMX@Complex

I just hope they used the technology that doesnt let ticketmaster crash when theres heavy traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by JorgeC View Post
    ticketfly seems to have picked up a lot of business lately, with a third big player (since ticketweb doesn't count) we may finally see a real reduction in fees.
    On this note, has anyone else noticed several more shows and event tickets being sold through eventbrite? Seems like a good majority of the shows/clubs I've gone to in the past few months, I've purchased tickets through eventbrite.
    8/27 Rock the Bells @ Shoreline
    9/1 Amon Tobin @ The Warfield
    9/30 DJ Premier vs. Pete Rock @ Mighty

Anyone read that book that outlines the history of online ticketing? I am about 100 pages in. Forget the name of it but pretty interesting so far

Technically, AEG is both a joint owner of Outbox and its largest client.
    shudder
    ))<>((

Quote Originally Posted by uscjeff View Post
    Anyone read that book that outlines the history of online ticketing? I am about 100 pages in. Forget the name of it but pretty interesting so far
    If youre reading the book, how can you not look at the title?

http://www.ticketmaster.com/interactiveseatmap

finally going to be able to choose seats instead of randomly being assigned. solid move.

Quote Originally Posted by 3n60r63d View Post

finally going to be able to choose seats instead of randomly being assigned. solid move.
    That's cool, although I could see it becoming a problem if you want to choose seats that by the time you get to the checkout window are taken, then you have to go back to the beginning.

And of all the artist they could have used for an example, did they HAVE to use Katy Perry?

Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    If youre reading the book, how can you not look at the title?
    Posted while at work. Pretty easy to remember - Ticket Masters

Quote Originally Posted by Bons222000 View Post
    That's cool, although I could see it becoming a problem if you want to choose seats that by the time you get to the checkout window are taken, then you have to go back to the beginning.
    when a lot of activity is happening for a show, they disable the choose your seats option. i don't know what constitues "a lot of activity", but this is what happened the day of the Social Distortion onsale.
    Which healthcare provider will euthanize you the fastest as a service to society?
    8/22 NIN@Verizon - 8/23&24 FYF Fest - 9/2 Bear in Heaven@Echoplex - 9/4 Phantogram@Fox Pomona - 9/6 Atmosphere@Palladium - 9/10 Britney Spears - 9/23 La Roux@Fonda - 9/26 Die Antwoord@Observatory - 10/8 Gus Gus@Roxy - 10/10 Twin Shadow@Glass House - 10/12,19,26 IAMX@Complex

Quote Originally Posted by 3n60r63d View Post

Wait, so you finally discovered this a year later? And trust me, youre going to hate doing this during a major onsale.

Won't it be similar to how it is now for venues that have the interactive map? During busy periods (ie onsales) it goes to the automated system, but then later switches to the pick your own seats map. This seems to work well so far. If its going interactive map 100% we're all boned.

Its the same thing, and it cant be that way from now on, that would be stupid. The learning curve is too steep for the average TM user.

Wow...Bill Silva (Hollywood Bowl) just hopped on over to Live Nation today.

http://www.allaccess.com/net-news/ar...in-live-nation

Quote Originally Posted by Ardentbiscuit View Post
    This is the equivalent of musical water boarding.

Are you suprised? Its been in the works for a few years now. LN just wants the venues. They'll keep the name intact, you will just know it was LN's doing hacing the Black Eyed Peas play the Bowl for example, not Hewitt/Silva. LUCKILY The Orpheum is independant, and not a Hewitt/Silva venue.

more venues jumping the ticketmaster ship. Echo and Echoplex tickets are now done via ticketfly. I think the changeover happened this weekend. Hopefully this means hard tickets will be available in-store at Origami vs just having your name put on will call.

Quote Originally Posted by JorgeC View Post
    more venues jumping the ticketmaster ship. Echo and Echoplex tickets are now done via ticketfly. I think the changeover happened this weekend. Hopefully this means hard tickets will be available in-store at Origami vs just having your name put on will call.
    Probably, they were giving printed tickets for FYF and they were ticketfly. I would guess the same goes with the change.

FYI, got a tweet back from the venue. If anyone was going to a show there and you already have a ticketweb (purple) ticket in hand, it will still scan and be accepted at the venue. Wish i knew about the change before I bought my Niki and Dove ticket, would have saved a couple of bucks on fees.

latimes.com
    A music reviewer's fixes for the Forum
    By August Brown

12:02 PM PDT, June 26, 2012

The news that Madison Square Garden's parent corporation is buying and renovating the Forum in Inglewood should prompt cheers from L.A. music fans. Those who have been around a while remember it as the marquee concert venue in the area for much of rock and roll's heyday, hosting concerts from the big names of the '70s, '80s and '90s -- Bob Dylan, Fleetwood Mac and the Rolling Stones, among them. Downtown venues such as Staples Center and the L.A. Live complex have stolen much of the venue's musical thunder in recent years, but this investment is a watershed in the venue's history and a major transition back into the local spotlight.

We'll leave the job of assessing future architectural and structural upgrades to more qualified voices around here. But from the standpoint of a fan who goes to see live music at least three nights a week, here are a few preliminary suggestions for fixes at the new Forum.

1. Longer alcohol sale times.

Maybe we tipped our hand starting with this one. But whether its permitting issues or temperance regarding alcohol by the former owner, Inglewood's nearby Faithful Central Bible Church, every time I've been to the Forum it's been impossible to buy a beer after the opening act, and that's just incompatible with running a concert business -- both fiscally and for fan-enjoyment purposes. We can get through a concert review without booze, we promise. But its absence only makes it more conspicuous. And sometimes, when your Guns 'N Roses set just entered its third hour, a beer is truly more of a need than a want.

2. Public transit access.

Say what you will about the LED assault of L.A. Live -- at least the place is easy to get to on a variety of Metro systems. Not so the Forum, and that's a major obstacle for non-Westsiders and those dipping toes into a less car-dependent L.A. culture. Obviously, a dedicated rail stop is an impossibility, but perhaps MSG could use its clout (and the promise of a massive economic injection into Inglewood) to at least increase bus service on big concert nights. Maybe lobby for a nonstop transfer from the new Expo line a couple hours before and after showtime? If the first suggestion on this list goes through, any car-free options will be extra appreciated.

3. Own rock and roll.

Even without any publicly stated booking philosophy, the Forum has carved a niche as the place for marquee shows from high-charting rock bands -- Green Day, Foo Fighters, Soundgarden et al have all done well there recently. MSG should take note -- Staples has the pop sphere; the Hollywood Bowl is its own programming animal. There's a legacy and an opportunity for the Forum to set itself apart in making big venues safe for guitars again.

4. Keep the structural integrity for the 99%.

Yes, luxury boxes are the venue equivalent of the business-class cabin on an airplane -- it's where the real money is. But there's an egalitarian charm to the Forum where every sightline is decent, and if it's possible to describe an arena as "intimate," you could do so here. None of L.A.'s big sports teams are moving back, and for music fans used to the sensory leviathan of the AEG arenas, the Forum's antiquated design actually helps keep the focus on the music and every fan feeling like they're in on the action.

5. Follow Prince's lead.

This is good advice for anyone in all conceivable life situations. But the Purple One's 21-night run at the Forum last year might have set an interesting new model for habituating fans to think of the venue again. Residencies have become a staple for club-sized L.A. venues. Why not for arenas too? What if, say, the Forum could get a week of Green Day playing all three of its proposed new albums and some '90s classics? Foo Fighters curating a run with some of its big influences, such as Bob Mould and younger acolytes such as Cage the Elephant? The Forum's schedule is wide open, and some unconventional big event bookings could steer the spotlight back to Inglewood.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

I like those suggestions, but one thing they ignore in regards to number 5 is that Prince made his 21 night stand possible by making tickets so affordable, which can only happen when it's someone like him who has the money to throw around.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

latimes.com
    Forum owners plan to revive venue with $50-million renovation
    They intend to challenge Staples Center and other big arenas in the L.A. region by turning the faded Inglewood facility into a 'world-class' concert hall.
    By Roger Vincent, Los Angeles Times

June 26, 2012

In its glory days, the Forum was Southern California's preeminent entertainment venue, a behemoth with Roman columns where adoring fans came to see the likes of Wilt Chamberlain, Wayne Gretzky and Bob Dylan.

But the famous round building fell on hard times. The Los Angeles Lakers and Kings moved downtown. Other venues in up-and-coming neighborhoods came along to nab the concert business. And, in the end, the Forum was bought by the Faithful Central Bible Church and all but forgotten.

Now, the owners of Madison Square Garden have come to the rescue with an ambitious plan to turn the faded Forum into a juggernaut. The East Coasters are looking to challenge the region's big arenas, including Staples Center and its owner, the politically connected AEG.

GRAPHIC: New owners vow to revitalize the Forum

MSG, as the company is known, has paid $23.5 million for the Forum and will start work this year on a $50-million renovation. Details are to be released in the fall, but the makeover is intended to turn the Forum into a top-flight concert hall and will take at least a year, President Hank Ratner said.

"The addition of the Forum is a perfect complement to the Madison Square Garden arena — it now allows us to have world-class venues in both New York and Los Angeles, linking the top two entertainment markets in the country," he said.

A revitalized Forum would provide an economic lift to its Inglewood neighborhood. But it faces entrenched competition from the region's other entertainment hot spots amid a challenging climate in the concert business.

The owners of Staples Center said they don't fear a rivalry with the East Coast impresarios. They were quick to raise questions about the security of the neighborhood surrounding the Forum and dismissed it as a "class B" venue.

"We are very certain of our customer experience, their safety and the vibrancy of our campus," said Tim Leiweke, president of Los Angeles-based AEG. "We are going to vigorously protect our own town."

MSG brings a New York swagger to the task of reigniting the Forum. At Madison Square Garden, which MSG calls "The World's Most Famous Arena," the company is in the midst of a $1-billion upgrade, Ratner said.

The company earlier renovated New York's 83-year-old Beacon Theatre and famed Radio City Music Hall. It also owns the venerable Chicago Theatre and is the booker for the historic Wang Theatre in Boston.

"We will bring the same attention to detail to our renovation of the Forum, resulting in a world-class venue that will be the place for music in Los Angeles," said Ratner, whose company has worked since late 2010 to wrap up the Forum deal, delayed by the intricacies of aligning business and political interests.

Leaders of Faithful Central Bible Church had hoped to use the Forum for its services and to build a family entertainment center that would generate jobs, but the operation became a financial albatross. Senior pastor Kenneth C. Ulmer said MSG had assured the church about "having a positive impact on our community."

A Forum comeback would be a financial and psychological boost for Inglewood, which suffered when its pro sports teams moved out in 1999, Mayor James T. Butts said.

"When the Kings and Lakers departed for Staples, it was a crushing economic blow and a big blow to community pride," he said. The city lost annual income of $800,000 from property, ticket and other taxes, along with the money that Forum visitors spent with local merchants.

MSG has guaranteed Inglewood that it will receive a minimum of $675,000 in ticket, parking and concession taxes annually from the Forum, a number based on the sale of 300,000 tickets. If sales fall below that number, MSG must pay Inglewood the difference.
    For its part, Inglewood will give MSG an $18-million commercial rehabilitation loan — with strings attached. If MSG doesn't spend the promised $50 million on Forum improvements, it won't get the $18 million.

News of the Forum's return has boosted long-shelved plans by another developer for a $2-billion real estate project that would replace the nearby Hollywood Park racetrack with a large planned community, Butts said.

Work on that project, called Hollywood Park Tomorrow, will begin early next year, he said. The community is to include 3,000 residential units, stores, theaters, restaurants, a hotel and a casino.

MSG's investment comes at a challenging time in the concert business, said Gary Bongiovanni, editor of the industry-tracking publication Pollstar.

"Anecdotally, it appears the overall volume of shows is down from last year," he said. "Everybody is trying to be a little more conservative."

One advantage Bongiovanni sees for the Forum against its downtown L.A. competitor is that Staples Center has many nights committed to professional basketball and hockey.

"Staples has so many sports tenants that it's very difficult to get in there and have a concert," he said.

AEG's Leiweke said Staples is booked for up to 250 events a year, most of them athletic contests. It hosts up to 40 concerts a year and promotes about half of them through its live entertainment division.

"If we go from doing 250 to 240 events a year we'll be just fine," he said.

Even after the planned Forum upgrades, Leiweke said, "it's not about competing with us, it's about competing with other B venues in town," such as the Hollywood Bowl, the Long Beach Arena and the Los Angeles Memorial Sports Arena.

But the Forum has its charms, said Jim Guerinot, who manages musical acts including Gwen Stefani and No Doubt, the Offspring and Nine Inch Nails.

"The Forum was built at a time pre-luxury box, so it's positively cozy compared to most major arenas these days," Guerinot said. Its wide-open calendar will also make it attractive to those in the music business.

"You need to find a place that's available," he said, "and the Forum is a major arena in the No. 2 market in the country."

The Forum has history in its favor, said David Brooks, managing editor at industry trade publication Venues Today.

Many of the top performers from the 1960s to the 1990s played at the Forum, including the Rolling Stones, the Jackson Five, Madonna, Van Halen, the Foo Fighters and Coldplay.

"When some of today's artists were kids they would go see concerts at the Forum, the marquee venue in Los Angeles County," Brooks said. "It's an aspirational mood that they would want to come back. The Forum's got rock 'n' roll spirit."

roger.vincent@latimes.com

Copyright © 2012, Los Angeles Times
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Lets add this in here also. Now HARD has coporate backing, time for them to go down the shitter even more. I call bullshit on the bolded part.

http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.co...usic-promoter/

Big money is flowing into electronic dance music. In the latest example of corporate interest in this once-ignored market, Live Nation Entertainment said on Tuesday that it had acquired Hard Events, a Los Angeles company that has put on popular festivals and concerts across North America.

Yet such investments are fueling fears that a bubble is taking hold in the world of electronic dance music, or E.D.M., jeopardizing the creative and commercial health of the music. The issue has been intensely debated inside the music business, and recently some of the genre’s stars have sounded alarms as well.

“E.D.M. has turned into a massively marketed cruise ship, and it’s sinking fast,” the D.J. and producer Deadmau5 wrote on his Tumblr page on Tuesday. “All I’m trying to do is put on my life jacket and swim as far away from this shipwreck as fast as I can.”

The stakes are high for dance music. So far this year Live Nation has also bought Cream Holdings, a major British dance promoter, and the media mogul Robert F.X. Sillerman has begun what he says will be $1 billion in acquisitions. Young and relatively untested D.J.’s like Avicii have had mixed success playing in amphitheaters and arenas this summer, leading some industry leaders to say they are preparing for a “market correction.”

For many of the independent promoters who have dominated the dance market over the last two decades, Wall Street investment could provide a welcome cushion in a risky business, and fuel expansion in to new markets. But they also worry that corporate involvement will damage the culture of E.D.M.

In an interview earlier this year with The New York Times, Gary Richards, the veteran promoter and D.J. who founded Hard Events, was one of those people voicing concern, saying, “You can’t just franchise this like McDonald’s.” On Tuesday, he defended his decision to sell to Live Nation, saying that the deal would help him expand Hard, while maintaining its character.

“I’m always going to fight the good fight,” Mr. Richards said. “The reason I’m different from other festivals is that I bring the new thing, develop it and bring it to the masses. This will only be able to help, because now instead of just L.A. and New York, I will be able to do this in South Africa, South America. It’s only a good thing.”

Financial terms of Hard’s deal with Live Nation were not disclosed. In interviews, Mr. Richards and Michael Rapino, the president of Live Nation, both said it would expand into new markets, although they indicated that nothing was imminent; Hard’s major festival, Hard Summer, will be held in Los Angeles on Aug. 3 and 4, with Skrillex, Chromeo, Squarepusher, James Murphy and dozens of others.

Live Nation has taken steps to establish itself as a credible force in electronic music. When it bought Cream Holdings, it made the company’s respected founder, James Barton, president of Live Nation’s electronic division. Mr. Barton said he had the confidence of Mr. Rapino to build stable dance properties.

“Are we going to be put under tremendous pressure to change?” Mr. Barton said in an interview. “No, not frankly. I don’t see that today, and I’m not seeing that in the future.”

Others in the business worry that the integrity of the festivals, which have developed an idiosyncratic culture since the music first became popular in the 1980s, would be compromised under corporate control. Neil Moffitt, the chief executive of Angel Management Group, a live entertainment company in Las Vegas, was critical of Live Nation’s stewardship of major dance music events, citing a joint venture deal in 2006 for the British festival Global Gathering, which he said quickly deteriorated.

Mr. Moffitt said he was concerned about the long-term intentions of investors like Mr. Sillerman, who in the 1990s combined regional rock promoters into a national entity, and sold it to Clear Channel Communications for $4.4 billion. (Clear Channel later spun it off as Live Nation, which since going public in 2005 has never turned an annual profit.)

“If their objective is to create a second generation of electronic music, where they’re well-funded and have great infrastructure, and the music has a great future, then I’m all for it,” he said. “But if the intent is to sweep up an untapped part of the music industry, take it to the stock market, and everybody cashes out and watches it dissipate, that would be very disappointing.”

Mr. Rapino said that while large-scale E.D.M. events have long been popular in Europe, they are relatively new in the United States, and therefore few promoters had long experience with them.

“It’s not like anyone’s been doing this for a long time,” Mr. Rapino said. “No one has a historic ownership of the space. This is a fragmented marketplace, and we believe that if we can hire credible players that have been in this space, doing what they do best, that we’ll be able to build a smart division.”

Yet promoters like Mr. Richards are part of a generation of independent operators who have been at it for as long as 20 years, and lived through more than one music industry hype cycle in which electronic music seemed on the verge of a mainstream breakthrough, only to retreat into subcultural status.

“The music business is always like this,” Mr. Richards said. “Some genre comes along, and there’s all this attention on it all of a sudden, and then when you look at it you say, who were the pioneers of that genre? And those are one ones that always last.”
    Last edited by suprefan; 06-26-2012 at 10:17 PM.