Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Live Nation and Ticketmaster To Merge

Default Re: Live Nation and Ticketmaster To Merge

Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post
    Wow. That is some bullshit. So face value for tickets will be $400... and will then be resold for $750. Soon after that, face value will become $750 and will be resold for $1200...
    Your logic makes no sense. Why would someone be willing to pay more in the secondary market just because the face value increased? If the most someone is willing to pay for a concert is $750, what do they care that face value increased from $400 to $750?

Quote Originally Posted by PlayaDelWes View Post
    Your logic makes no sense. Why would someone be willing to pay more in the secondary market just because the face value increased? If the most someone is willing to pay for a concert is $750, what do they care that face value increased from $400 to $750?
    Spoken like a true rich person. Because losing $350 on ticket is a lot of money to lose. The question shouldn't be "what do they care that face value increased from $400 to $750," the questions should be "why did the face value of a ticket increase from $400 to $750." Why should the richest person always get row 1 tickets?

Ticketmaster/Livenation are jealous scalpers have such a huge secondhand market and they want to make that money for themselves, by becoming scalpers themselves. If prices do increase, scalpers will be sure to increase their prices as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Spoken like a true rich person. Because losing $350 on ticket is a lot of money to lose. The question shouldn't be "what do they care that face value increased from $400 to $750," the questions should be "why did the face value of a ticket increase from $400 to $750." Why should the richest person always get row 1 tickets?

Ticketmaster/Livenation are jealous scalpers have such a huge secondhand market and they want to make that money for themselves, by becoming scalpers themselves. If prices do increase, scalpers will be sure to increase their prices as well.
    We all knew it was a matter of time before agencies implemented a more tiered pricing system. Yes, it sucks. It especially sucks for the true music fan who got lucky every once and awhile and scored some front row or pool circle tickets at face value. They were essentially getting the tickets below market value. Now, they will never have that chance.

I agree with everything you say until your last sentence. That's when you get stupid and ignore the whole ‘demand’ side of the equation. Under your logic, scalpers are leaving money on the table as well. You are basically saying that consumers are willing to pay more, but currently scalpers are giving them a deal because they got the tickets for real cheap. In the future, scalpers won't be giving them this deal anymore.

If your original post stopped at "Wow. That is some bullshit.", you'd be just fine.
    Last edited by PlayaDelWes; 05-12-2010 at 01:15 PM.

wes is right. by jacking up the prices, they are basically trying to cut out the scalper. If scalpers want to buy them for like springsteen or some shit, sure, they might be able to get some extra profit by selling them for $1000 or something, but they would have sold them for $1000 anyway. the price people are willing to pay has nothing to do with how much they originally go onsale for.
    Let's go on a livin' spree!

If they actually hosted acts that sold tix they wouldn't have to worry about having stupid ass promotions to sell tickets...

11/21 - Pearl Jam - Viejas Arena

I just don't understand why we the concert goers have to suffer because scalpers have created a secondhand market.
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

This is not because of scalpers. Airlines started doing the exact same thing when there isn't a secondary market for airline tickets. They have added tiers that include extra pricing for aisle and window seating, checked luggage, priority boarding, and meals & drinks. Some people are willing to pay more for a better experience and companies understand this, offering more for those willing to pay more. And yes, it sucks for consumers like you and me who were able to get a lot more for our money in the past.

And, WTF is this supposed to mean?
    Spoken like a true rich person
    What does this have to do with anybody’s argument? You’d be 100 times more accurate if you said “Spoken like a true educated person”. Just because I understand market economics, doesn’t mean I participate and bid up the best seats in the house. I don’t think I’ve ever paid more than face value for concert tickets. My decision to go to shows often hinges on my ability to get decent tickets at a good price. If I can’t get good tickets at a good price, I just don’t go and I’m fine with it.

old school

well if consumers stuck together a boycott might open some eyes. If everybody desired the cheaper tickets over gouged floor seats then cheap seats would sellout much faster I would assume. Example Roger Waters Wall tour.
    I wonder how the performer(s) are going to feel & think about this. Will they be seeing any of the gouging profits?
    Live Nation & ticketmaster are definately trying to go after the scalper money which is a variable. Just because these scalpers are listing extraordinary prices on various internet sites doesn't mean they're getting those prices. Ulitmately ticketmaster & live nation are going to price themselves out of the market by pissing off fans. Folks just won't go at all because the vast majority of us won't be able to afford or won't support such corporate greed.

great, more convenience charges.

This is not because of scalpers. Airlines started doing the exact same thing when there isn't a secondary market for airline tickets. They have added tiers that include extra pricing for aisle and window seating, checked luggage, priority boarding, and meals & drinks. Some people are willing to pay more for a better experience and companies understand this, offering more for those willing to pay more. And yes, it sucks for consumers like you and me who were able to get a lot more for our money in the past.

And, WTF is this supposed to mean?

What does this have to do with anybodyís argument? Youíd be 100 times more accurate if you said ďSpoken like a true educated personĒ. Just because I understand market economics, doesnít mean I participate and bid up the best seats in the house. I donít think Iíve ever paid more than face value for concert tickets. My decision to go to shows often hinges on my ability to get decent tickets at a good price. If I canít get good tickets at a good price, I just donít go and Iím fine with it.
    All shows should just be GA. That is the way it should work. One price, general admission. Whoever shows up at the venue first gets the best seats.

And that second part was a reference to the thread where you stated you didn't think $250,000 a year is a lot of money.

So to my question, what does that have to do with this? or are you just being an ass?

i just think it sucks if the front row is all the richest people and not the biggest fans. although i guess thats how it is already, for the most part. hopefully the cool bands will keep doing what theyve been doing lately, which is offering the best seats to fan club members before they go onsale through TM. the only key is to make those tickets will call only and force them to enter the venue right after picking them up. hopefully this will limit scalpers going after these seats too...

^ Exactly. Two very solid solutions.

So to my question, what does that have to do with this? or are you just being an ass?
    Both, actually. You were saying if people are willing to spend a certain amount of money on tickets, why can't the company charge that much? Well, if I had $400 to spend on front row tickets to my favorite band, I probably would. In reality, a vast majority of concert-goers do not have that much money to spend on a single show. A very tiny minority of people have that much money to spend on a single ticket, and of those people very few who actually spend that much money on a ticket, most probably will not be as big of fans of the band as some people stuck in the back.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Ransom View Post
    i just think it sucks if the front row is all the richest people and not the biggest fans. although i guess thats how it is already, for the most part. hopefully the cool bands will keep doing what theyve been doing lately, which is offering the best seats to fan club members before they go onsale through TM. the only key is to make those tickets will call only and force them to enter the venue right after picking them up. hopefully this will limit scalpers going after these seats too...
    I agree with everything said here.

Both, actually. You were saying if people are willing to spend a certain amount of money on tickets, why can't the company charge that much?
    No need to be an ass and you should probably read and reread what I have written. All my arguments go back to your stupid comment saying that scalpers are now going to raise their rates as well. Scalpers are already charging the highest they can get. If they could get more, they would TODAY! Yes, raising face value sucks. Just admit you made a stupid comment to go along with your frustration and then decided to be a jerk on top of that.

Well, if I had $400 to spend on front row tickets to my favorite band, I probably would. In reality, a vast majority of concert-goers do not have that much money to spend on a single show. A very tiny minority of people have that much money to spend on a single ticket, and of those people very few who actually spend that much money on a ticket, most probably will not be as big of fans of the band as some people stuck in the back.
    We are in the same boat here. [/BS]

All shows should just be GA. That is the way it should work. One price, general admission. Whoever shows up at the venue first gets the best seats.
    Stupidest theory ever.

Im going to go talk to a few people and get back on this subject.
    Last edited by suprefan; 05-12-2010 at 03:36 PM.

Coachella Junkie psycobetabuckdown's Avatar

This makes a hell of a lot more sense than the current situation. I have never had front row seats for a concert or a basketball game - I've only been in the front for GA concerts. It's because I can't afford front row seats or don't think those seats are worth the money.

It's not like cheap seats are going to disappear - if they do, people won't go to the concert and Live Nation will eventually lower the prices anyway. Simple supply and demand.
    Ron Paul 2012!

Upcoming Shows:
    Four Tet
    Coachella 4/20-4/22
    Death Cab for Cutie/Magik Magik Orchestra
    Radiohead
    some other bands

Also, you should go see acts that play seated only venues, then you can see how things are, and provide a solid opinion. Come back when you do.

old school

The problem with that is people get crushed and die.

http://www.crowdsafe.com/cafe/who20.html

http://www.enquirer.com/editions/199..._industry.html

You are probably right. I know every GA show I have ever been to people have been crushed and died.

Damn, I can't believe you saw The Who in their heyday, that must've been awesome.
    Ron Paul 2012!

Upcoming Shows:
    Four Tet
    Coachella 4/20-4/22
    Radiohead
    some other bands

old school

You are probably right. I know every GA show I have ever been to people have been crushed and died.
    They don't do all GA at arenas (anymore) for this reason. GA works fine for smaller shows but it's not realistic at all for this to happen at huge shows. Your idea is extremely idealistic (stupidest idea ever as supre said but I'm trying to be nice) and does not work in this real world at all.

Quote Originally Posted by liquidsnake28 View Post
    They don't do all GA at arenas (anymore) for this reason. GA works fine for smaller shows but it's not realistic at all for this to happen at huge shows. Your idea is extremely idealistic (stupidest idea ever as supre said but I'm trying to be nice) and does not work in this real world at all.
    Most arena shows I go to have GA floor. I have also been to a couple theatre show where the whole theatre was GA.

old school

I was beaten to the reference about The Who. My cousins went to that show. Most of the shows back then were GA. That show changed everything & well here we are on this thread.

old school

Exactly.

So why is it okay at Coachella but not the Staples Center?
    Ron Paul 2012!

Upcoming Shows:
    Four Tet
    Coachella 4/20-4/22
    Radiohead
    some other bands

you guys are on crack. there are plenty of arena shows that are still GA floor. i just bought GA floor tickets for Muse. this happens all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by psycobetabuckdown View Post
    So why is it okay at Coachella but not the Staples Center?
    Because its a disaster in the making. Look into history and youll see why. Again, the Who has been mentioned twice now, and you cease to acknowledge that.

old school

No shit 4Ransom, most arena shows are GA floor. We're talking about GA everything, all the seats, the whole fucking arena GA.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Ransom View Post
    you guys are on crack. there are plenty of arena shows that are still GA floor. i just bought GA floor tickets for Muse. this happens all the time.
    What was said above.