Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Live Nation and Ticketmaster To Merge

Default Re: Live Nation and Ticketmaster To Merge

Seriously though.... What ever happened to the Anti- Monopoly laws? Ticketbastard needs to be taken down.

Quote Originally Posted by clarky123 View Post
    Fuck your formal education up for music and stop being a coward.
    Quote Originally Posted by braundiggity View Post
    I dunno. Lots of the arguments seem hypocritical to me. Can't we leave it simply as: I loved the shit out of it, some hated the shit out of it, and that's just how some shows go?
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/musicislife/

Karma Police are coming for you

Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    The hippies have powers over these kinds of things.
    Hippies suck.
    Quote Originally Posted by superfan View Post
    And I have a dick for you to eat if youre hungry still.

Kind of. I mean you do see that LN has been selling tickets on their own for all their venues since Jan 1st right?
    I've been hearing this since mid to late 2007 if it finally happened Jan 09 I wouldn't know cause I haven't been to a show at the fillmore in a minute.

Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker113 View Post
    the really big artists in the uk seem to do that. oasis, coldplay, etc. I think maybe radiohead too. at least, they used to. they would have their own dedicated phone lines just for their own concerts. and the tickets would be customized for the band. maybe ticketbastard has consumed all business there now too though. who knows.

smaller artists could never manage it though. it's up to the venues, I think. like gamh and slims in sf have their own ticketing system now.
    Didn't NIN handle all his own as well as the black keys...I think they handled their pre-sale...

I remember when APE first got started they were handling their own ticket sales outside of ticketmaster.

As for Live Nation...it surprises me that they are based in "Beverly Hills", and that this is where "Bill Graham's Legacy" currently stands...he was from san francisco...

horrible...just when i was holding out hope that competition would lower prices. Even though the first few onsales via LN that i was interested in (mostly Wiltern and Palladium shows) showed HIGHER fees, i was still hoping...sigh...

What alot of people don't know is that the promoters in their contracts with Ticketmaster, can ask for X amount to be added to the service charges which they will receive ON TOP of what Ticketmaster was intending to charge. It's a way for promoters to make more money, since for all the money they put up, at best they would see around 15% of the net profit from the concerts. This way the promoter can make money in an area that the artists don't see 85% of.

Although you could argue that sure Ticketmaster lets promoters do this, but if anything the promoters get greedy and that's who your gripe is with, while Ticketmaster takes the heat for them.

But really, Promoters are the only one's bound to lose money, and are the one's putting up the cash to bring bands into town, so I can see why they would want to see a bit more cash.

As for the merger... I work under the LiveNation umbrella, but I'm in Canada so they sell their tickets through Ticketmaster anyways up here. When all this was going down in the US, they didn't bother to strike any deals up here. The LiveNation ticketing system from what I understood was being integrated so that the groundwork was set for Ticketmaster to eventually move in to make the merger as smooth as possible for the fans.

I don't think the merger will be an improvement for fans, nor for bands trying to get a start... but I don't think it will be as terrible as people expect.

Coachella Junkie boarderwoozel3's Avatar

I don't like this, not one bit.

Wait one second here... And possibly AEG...? http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/04/bu...1&ref=business

Ticketmaster definitely gets the award for Most Obvious Monopolistic Motives of 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by SFChrissy View Post
    Didn't NIN handle all his own as well as the black keys...I think they handled their pre-sale...
    Both pre sales were handled by Music Today. Live Nation owns Music Today. Yeah, not so much their own.

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post
    $12 Asobi Seksu ticket -> $23.50 after ticketmaster fees (~96% markup)
    $22.50 Animal Collective ticket -> $31.50 after livenation fees (~42% markup)

livenation >> ticketmaster
    ok, you can't take two examples with different base prices and get an accurate comparison. more data please.

Quote Originally Posted by PrettyRagdoll View Post
    Seriously though.... What ever happened to the Anti- Monopoly laws? Ticketbastard needs to be taken down.
    I was reading about this. ticketmaster are not considered a monopoly because we are not their customers. the venues are their customers. they sell their service to the venues. and the venues do have other choices. we are the venue's customers.

I was reading about this. ticketmaster are not considered a monopoly because we are not their customers. the venues are their customers. they sell their service to the venues. and the venues do have other choices. we are the venue's customers.
    I don't know how the laws work exactly either, but what happens when LiveNation/Ticketmaster owned venues are forced to use their ticketing system?

I dont get the monopoly laws.

ok, you can't take two examples with different base prices and get an accurate comparison. more data please.
    So why does a ticket that has nearly half the face value of a ticket at another service have higher surcharges in both dollar and percentage than the more expensive ticket?
    Last edited by Boourns; 02-05-2009 at 12:26 AM.
    9/10 Swans @ Roxy, 9/17 Karen O at Masonic Lodge, 9/19 Tokimonsta @ El Rey, 9/20 Chvrches @ Tower Theatre, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/3-4 Desert Stars, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/22-25 CMJ, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

Coachella Junkie

Forgive me being ignorant, but do we know that this will cause greater fees on tickets? Or are we just saying that because we hate Ticketmaster?

L

Memorial_07

I'm sure we're all getting upset because were assuming that ticket prices will be raised since both normally charge pretty high prices and if they join, it'll just mean more money

Cut Copy tix @ Fonda
    US $23.00
    Convenience Charge
    US $8.25
    Building Facility Charge
    US $2.00

$33.25 Total

TM and LN both suck, its just LN sucks slightly less. We were all rooting for LN purely for the competition.... so much for that....

If this is the case, which makes sense, then then boycott must be brought onto the venue themselves.

It is awesome how now GV is allowing you to purchase tickets to the El Rey & Fonda @ the Fonda Box Office. Massive kudos.

The charges for smaller prices shows via ticketmaster are fucking rediculous. You almost end up paying the same amount in charges as you do for the ticket itself.

To be be fair, on ticketmaster you could get your tickets mailed for the Asobi show, so the min charge @:
    $12.00
    Convenience Charge
    $5.00
    Building Facility Charge
    $2.00

$19.00 Total

OR

Take advantage of buying tickets via FAX (Troubadour being one of the few places that does this)
    Which would be @ $14.00 Total I imagine...

Long live Ticketweb & Groovetickets btw...

Quote Originally Posted by Knapptime View Post
    I don't know how the laws work exactly either, but what happens when LiveNation/Ticketmaster owned venues are forced to use their ticketing system?
    forced? come on. that's like saying I'm forced to drive my own car. I'm not forced, I'm not even obligated to. I could rent a car or try to bum a ride off somebody or get them to lend me my car. but it'd be fucking supid. I have my own car and in almost all cases that will be the best option.

Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post
    So why does a ticket that has nearly half the face value of a ticket at another service have higher surcharges in both dollar and percentage than the more expensive ticket?
    I don't know. we need more data to draw anything useful. the % and $ surcharge at ticketmaster always varied depending on the base price. what is the % and $ markup of a $12 ticket through livenation?

I have one fair comparison between tm and ln. the fillmore here in SF used to offer tickets free of service charge through their box office on sundays. now that same offer carries a $2 service charge.

Quote Originally Posted by Daft Fro View Post
    If this is the case, which makes sense, then then boycott must be brought onto the venue themselves.
    exactly. I've thought of this many times. but it would take such a sacrifice. how many great shows will you miss (standing outside protesting perhaps) to see this change? we'd have to get a lot of people on board.

ticketweb is owned by ticketmaster and, while it has slightly lower fees, I don't think that will last.

RIP bass tickets in the bay area...

Cut Copy tix @ Fonda
    US $23.00
    Convenience Charge
    US $8.25
    Building Facility Charge
    US $2.00

$33.25 Total

TM and LN both suck, its just LN sucks slightly less. We were all rooting for LN purely for the competition.... so much for that....

It is awesome how now GV is allowing you to purchase tickets to the El Rey & Fonda @ the Fonda Box Office. Massive kudos.

The charges for smaller prices shows via ticketmaster are fucking rediculous. You almost end up paying the same amount in charges as you do for the ticket itself.

To be be fair, on ticketmaster you could get your tickets mailed for the Asobi show, so the min charge @:
    $12.00
    Convenience Charge
    $5.00
    Building Facility Charge
    $2.00

$19.00 Total

OR

Take advantage of buying tickets via FAX (Troubadour being one of the few places that does this)
    Which would be @ $14.00 Total I imagine...

Actually, the mailed price for an Asobi Seksu ticket IS $23.50.

ADULT Tickets
    Total Convenience Charge(s) US $12.00 x 1
    US $5.00 x 1
    Total Building Facility Charge(s) US $2.00 x 1
    Order Processing Charge US $4.50
    TOTAL CHARGES US $23.50
    9/10 Swans @ Roxy, 9/17 Karen O at Masonic Lodge, 9/19 Tokimonsta @ El Rey, 9/20 Chvrches @ Tower Theatre, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/3-4 Desert Stars, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/22-25 CMJ, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

TM owns Ticketweb, which is why their fees are skyrocketing.
    For your health

What's sad is that so many people are lazy or too busy to do anything about it.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyface View Post
    TM owns Ticketweb, which is why their fees are skyrocketing.
    Fuck...

This is going to be ridiculous when it goes down.

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/stor...%7D&dist=msr_1

Remember this very conversation we had after Thanksgiving and you kept arguing what I was trying to tell you? Well here you go.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

Quote Originally Posted by fatbastard View Post
    Remember this very conversation we had after Thanksgiving and you kept arguing what I was trying to tell you? Well here you go.
    We'll talk when we are waiting outside for Morrissey tonight ok?

What's the deal with Ticketmaster going after AEG too... is that for real?

Quote Originally Posted by DRcube View Post
    do we still get to keep the gigantic tickets?
    God I hope not. F those things

so, anyone in the mood to do anything about this? not that i would ever purchase satellite radio, but if i ever wanted to...i only have one option. not cool. concert tickets i purchase, i dont like this.

this is going to replace north korea in the axis of evil.

forced? come on. that's like saying I'm forced to drive my own car. I'm not forced, I'm not even obligated to. I could rent a car or try to bum a ride off somebody or get them to lend me my car. but it'd be fucking supid. I have my own car and in almost all cases that will be the best option.
    Well that's what I mean. If "Live Nation Ticketmaster" (as they are to call it) own the venue, with venue staff under contract, and they own the box office, etc... it creates a vertical system, which is what I thought was illegal... which I understand is different than monopolizing one sector.

I don't know what my point is... I'm just trying to figure out how they could possibly merge, owning nearly every ticketing service out there between the two of them, and not be nailed as a monopoly. Kind of like talking to yourself, only typing.

on top of service charges, LN charges facility fees at their own venues (Palladium).
    the Ratatat show @ the Palladium is $20 face, but LN tacks on a $9 fee + $1 facility charge, making it 50% of fees on top of face value. Keep in mind that LN already gets part of the face value since they own the Palladium! So once it's all added up, over 1/3 of the ticket price is going STRAIGHT to LiveNation, who really doesn't do shit for the band!

TM does that as well at venues like the Orpheum, whose box office doesn't sell tickets until the day of the show. So they take advantage of it and charge a good 8-10 bucks on a $20-30 ticket as well (e.g. Funny People show and Cold War Kids). Then you're stuck with an extra ~$4.50 order processing fee so 2 tickets which should be $40 total turns into $60-$65. Again, the ticket price is inflated about 50% by bullshit fees.

They're both assholes... you can't choose one over the other. However, from personal experience, TM's average fees are way less than LN's.
    Last edited by Rats!; 02-05-2009 at 08:15 PM.

I guess this explains the lame makeover of the Ticketmaster website. To make it less useful and more frustrating, to match the ambiance of the LiveNation website.

... I think I may hate LiveNation more than Ticketmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Knapptime View Post
    Well that's what I mean. If "Live Nation Ticketmaster" (as they are to call it) own the venue, with venue staff under contract, and they own the box office, etc... it creates a vertical system, which is what I thought was illegal... which I understand is different than monopolizing one sector.

I don't know what my point is... I'm just trying to figure out how they could possibly merge, owning nearly every ticketing service out there between the two of them, and not be nailed as a monopoly. Kind of like talking to yourself, only typing.
    that's a good point. if the ticketing provider owns all the venues then perhaps that changes the monopoly angle. interesting... maybe in some twisted way this would be to our advantage in terms of possible legal action.

a little gripe of mine... Live Nation has been sending out these "shows in your area" to my e-mail, similar to Ticketmaster, but when you click on the "more info" link for a particular artist at a particular venue, the page it sends you to doesn't list the ticket price. is there any one piece of info that is more important than the ticket price!?!? I mean, the announcement tells you the band, the venue, and the date of the show and the date the tix go on-sale. Only other thing I want to know is the price! Anyways, I e-mailed them and asked why the "more info" page you get sent to doesn't list the ticket price and the response I got was "ticket prices are subject to change until the day they go on sale, so they are not posted until the day they go on sale." What a load of crap! Ticketmaster routinely tells you the price and I swear that up until I started getting these Live Nation e-mails, that they too also told you the price beforehand. Anyways, I think it's lame for them to not announce ticket prices now until the day of.