Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: bonnaroo aint no coachella

Default bonnaroo aint no coachella

last year the line up looked weak. not much to get me to travel 3/4 of the way across the country. coachella has an outstanding track record and is very well put together every year. i dont see why everyone continues to compare the two. coachella is the best festival i have ever been too. just a matter of opinion. i just wanted to share.
    Last edited by captain radero; 02-12-2007 at 09:50 AM.

Default Re: bonneroo aint no coachella

What is this bonneroo you speak of? Is it anything like Bonnaroo?

vinylmartyr

Default Re: bonneroo aint no coachella

I really have not seen a lot of comparison this year. I guess mostly cause the Bonnaroo lineup has not been released. Getting the Police is great but they are touring the whole country so its not very special.

Default Re: bonnaroo aint no coachella

I'm sure there's a hippie in Tennessee who feels the exact opposite.

You're absolutely right that they shouldn't be compared, but not because one is better than the other. They are two totally different things in opposite ends of the country. They may overlap a few artists because they are both ecclectic. But any festival that has "Phil Lesh and friends" headline the last night and schedules 3 1/2 hours for it is not competing with Coachella.

I do like the way they schedule things...shutting down the other stages and tents during the headliner, and then opening them back up for overnight shows.

see i dont like that part of it. It makes it more difficult to get a decent spot for the headliner i would think

I'm pretty sure these are two different target audiences we're talking about.

And by target audiences I mean smelly hippies.
    ▓░░░░▓░░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓
    ▓░░░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░░▓░▓
    ▓░░░▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░
    ▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓░▓
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ▓░░░░▓░░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓
    ▓░░░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░░▓░▓
    ▓░░░▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░
    ▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓░▓
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ▓░░░░▓░░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓
    ▓░░░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░░▓░▓
    ▓░░░▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░
    ▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓░▓

i hate the fact that bonnaroo gets more money and awards than coachella.
    coachella is more eclectic; whereas, bonnaroo is really a niche festival that recently started going eclectic.
    there's really no comparison.

vinylmartyr

I hate the scheduling at Bonnaroo but I would not mind checking it out one year.

It seems to me that, for the most part, the Bonaroo and Coachella headliners are pretty interchangeable and that the real difference is in the second and third tier acts.

Also, I've been told there's way more drugs at Bonaroo.
    Just Say No to eurotrash nonsense. Rock n' roll will set you free.

I dont think Coachella or Bonaroo have ever shared a headliner other than Radiohead? They differ at the top but they share some midtier acts.

yeah, imagine tom petty and bonnie raitt headlining coachella.
    i would like to see elvis costello, though.

Quote Originally Posted by ghettojournalist View Post
    yeah, imagine tom petty and bonnie raitt headlining coachella.
    i would like to see elvis costello, though.
    yeah, I would have like to see Dr. John too, but I can't really picture him at Coachella.

Quote Originally Posted by CiderMouseRules View Post
    Also, I've been told there's way more drugs at Bonaroo.
    Makes sense, sure they'll be no shortage of balloons..

wah wah wah

id probably need the drugs to get through most of those acts. but im ok with elvis costello as well. i would like to see him at coachella.

Bonnaroo's scheduling is awful! I'd never go to Bonnaroo. Who would want to rot in a dirty wet farm in the middle of Tennessee with a bunch of high smelly hippies.
    lollipops and crisps

Went to both last year. Both are very different. Alot more f*cked up people at Bonnaroo doing some really hard drugs. Heroine, Crack, Special K, Meth. Mostly Coachella people are smoking a J or taking E. I am sure there are alot more drugs going around its just not so open. The layout is different. Coachella feels like a music festival was supposed to be put on at the polo grounds. It's a perfect setting. Bonnaroo seems like they found some open land around some trees and put up some stages. Bonnaroo is a 3 day event, but you can't buy individual day passes. You have to buy the 3 day pass. And once you are in, you really can't leave and come back. You do get to walk around with beer and go to the stages whhich is nice but it also makes for a whole uglier crowd when evryone is wasted in the sun. I am not as into the Jam Band thing but I do like it but there came a point on the first day where I was dying to hear a power chord. My Morning Jacket finally delivered that shot in the ass and if they are going to do another 3 hour set, it'll probably get me to go just for that. All in all, I had a blast at Bonnaroo but it was way different than Coachella.

Quote Originally Posted by AEversW View Post
    Bonnaroo's scheduling is awful! I'd never go to Bonnaroo. Who would want to rot in a dirty wet farm in the middle of Tennessee with a bunch of high smelly hippies.
    I would just to see Radiohead play a set like they did!

Elvis Costello would f---ing rock. One of the greatest living singer/songwriters, if you ask me.
    Just Say No to eurotrash nonsense. Rock n' roll will set you free.

This is a load of rubbish, how can you not compare the two?

Bonnaroo carrys on all night, sets start at 11AM and end at about 4AM, some times 7AM with sacha last year. The Campsite never closes so you can come and go as you like, your aloud alcahol in the camp site, water in the venue, the main stage area is big enough to get either a good view and sound from way back or get close enough to see what you want without any meat headed Rage or tool fans getting all moshy and mental.

Also the line up, other than rage and tool from the past two years its been pretty much the same bag, sure you get more bands like phil and the dead or widespread headlining but any of Petty, radiohead or DMB could or have played coachella!

The undercard, who would say no to Primus, Ben Harper, Tom Waits, Rilo Kiley, Jack Johnson or matisyahu at Coachella?

OK its few of more wookies and molly but that just adds a delightly tye dyed colour to proceedings, Wooks and Bisco fans are funny to watch off their tits at 3AM wondering down Shakedown Street looking for Mescalin!

Also there is lots of Laughing gas, which is never a bad thing!

Chill out, yeah?

Peace and Fucking. Believe.

Quote Originally Posted by hangthedj112 View Post
    yeah but i got lucky and saw radiohead in LA last June. Twas amazing!
    lollipops and crisps

Quote Originally Posted by hangthedj112 View Post
    agreed. You get to see headliners play longer sets at Bonnaroo. Last year's Bonnaroo was worth going to not only to see Radiohead play 2 hours, but also to see My Morning Jacket play 3 hours. Did anyone see them play Coachella last year? It was an amazing set, but unfortunately way too short.

i personally dont really want to watch ANY band for 3+ hours. then again thats just me but i cannot think of any band i would want to sit though for that long. im ok with 1 hour to 1 1/2 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Mellow J View Post
    This is a load of rubbish, how can you not compare the two?

Bonnaroo carrys on all night, sets start at 11AM and end at about 4AM, some times 7AM with sacha last year. The Campsite never closes so you can come and go as you like, your aloud alcahol in the camp site, water in the venue, the main stage area is big enough to get either a good view and sound from way back or get close enough to see what you want without any meat headed Rage or tool fans getting all moshy and mental.

Also the line up, other than rage and tool from the past two years its been pretty much the same bag, sure you get more bands like phil and the dead or widespread headlining but any of Petty, radiohead or DMB could or have played coachella!

The undercard, who would say no to Primus, Ben Harper, Tom Waits, Rilo Kiley, Jack Johnson or matisyahu at Coachella?

OK its few of more wookies and molly but that just adds a delightly tye dyed colour to proceedings, Wooks and Bisco fans are funny to watch off their tits at 3AM wondering down Shakedown Street looking for Mescalin!

Also there is lots of Laughing gas, which is never a bad thing!

Chill out, yeah?

Peace and Fucking. Believe.
    Agreed again. The vibe of Bonnaroo is more friendly then Coachella. No indie scenesters from Silverlake to deal with at Bonnaroo. Hippies may be dirty, but at least they aren't pretentious.

[QUOTE=Mellow J;49009]

[QUOTE]

Wookies, Bisco fans, molly... is that what you call the jam band crowd in England? I'm learning something. I usually refer to the Phish crowd as earth muffins and granola bars.
    My favorite band is cooler than your favorite band.

Earth muffins - that is amazing....I think im going to have to steal that expression.

Actually, my ex-girlfriend befriended a group of self-proclaimed hippies that seemed quite pretentious. But the Silverlake crowd would certainly win a Most Pretentious contest with the hippies.

old school

I've been to Coachella the past 2 years & Bonnaroo the past 3. In my opnion it is the overall atmosphere of the event that makes it a festival. Coachella is an over crowded mess with asshole staff,security, undercover narcs, assholes from L.A. & bad over priced food. This years lineup is a miss mash of Coachellas gone by. No orginality in this years lineup at all. If your going to Coachella and you like to party you'd better bring party favors with you. People are stingy & untrusting out there probly due to all the undercovers. I saw many people being busted in the campground for selling pot. I was lucky to have brought some hash with me in 05 otherwise it would have been a weekend of sobirety. Bonnaroo is a buyers market usually. People are way more friendly at the Roo. The only cool people I've met at Coachella weren't from the U.S.
    Bonnaroo is the best festival out there. Yeah you need to be prepared to have a good time take plenty of water food & most importantly water repelent shoes like crocs in case the Tennesee sky lets loose. Ponchos & tarps are great to have too & will insure a happy weekend. The rain brings out the naked peeps too. Sometimes plenty of T & A to check out. The atmosphere at Bonnaroo can't be compared with Coachella! Bonnaroo has many shakedowns where renegade vendors sell unique glassware, collectibles, fossils & artwork. Coachella doesn't. Bonnaroo has had many underground acts that aren't jam bands throughout the years grant it they weren't headliners but they still booked an array of different musical genres to expose people to different kinds of music from bluegrass, jam, indie, classic, country, you name it. Everyone is so quick to point out that Bonnaroo copies from Coachella because of last year with Radiohead. May I remind you that Coachella is 3 days this year & Willie Nelson is performing. Also at Coachella I don't wanna have to be told where I have to camp at especially having paid $40 just to camp. Camping is included with the ticket for Bonnaroo. You need to be prepared for Bonnaroo. Bonnaroo seems to have an overall concern for everyone there. They encourage you to bring sealed bottles of water into the show. They could care less if you pass out at Coachella. Bonaroo is a festival. Coachella has alot to improve upon & to add before I consider it a festival instead of just 3 days of music.
    Last edited by shoegazer76; 02-12-2007 at 11:50 AM.

vinylmartyr

Dude why dont you just stay home and do drugs. Cause thats all you seem to care about.

You know you can sit in the comfort of your own home and do all the drugs you want for way less!

Quote Originally Posted by shoegazer76 View Post
    I've been to Coachella the past 2 years & Bonnaroo the past 3. In my opnion it is the overall atmosphere of the event that makes it a festival. Coachella is an over crowded mess with asshole staff,security, undercover narcs, assholes from L.A. & bad over priced food. This years lineup is a miss mash of Coachellas gone by. No orginality in this years lineup at all. If your going to Coachella and you like to party you'd better bring party favors with you. People are stingy & untrusting out there probly due to all the undercovers. I saw many people being busted in the campground for selling pot. I was lucky to have brought some hash with me in 05 otherwise it would have been a weekend of sobirety. Bonnaroo is a buyers market usually. People are way more friendly at the Roo. The only cool people I've met at Coachella weren't from the U.S.
    Bonnaroo is the best festival out there. Yeah you need to be prepared to have a good time take plenty of water food & most importantly water repelent shoes like crocs in case the Tennesee sky lets loose. Ponchos & tarps are great to have too & will insure a happy weekend. The rain brings out the naked peeps too. Sometimes plenty of T & A to check out. The atmosphere at Bonnaroo can't be compared with Coachella! Bonnaroo has many shakedowns where renegade vendors sell unique glassware, collectibles, fossils & artwork. Coachella doesn't. Bonnaroo has had many underground acts that aren't jam bands throughout the years grant it they weren't headliners but they still booked an array of different musical genres to expose people to different kinds of music from bluegrass, jam, indie, classic, country, you name it. Everyone is so quick to point out that Bonnaroo copies from Coachella because of last year with Radiohead. May I remind you that Coachella is 3 days this year & Willie Nelson is performing. Also at Coachella I don't wanna have to be told where I have to camp at especially having paid $40 just to camp. Camping is included with the ticket for Bonnaroo. You need to be prepared for Bonnaroo. Bonnaroo seems to have an overall concern for everyone there. They encourage you to bring sealed bottles of water into the show. They could care less if you pass out at Coachella. Bonaroo is a festival. Coachella has alot to improve upon & to add before I consider it a festival instead of just 3 days of music.
    I totally back up everything this person said. Its all true. There is simply more compassion and caring at Bonnaroo, amongst the festival goers and from the promoters (allowing food, water, etc.).