Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Friends of Bill

Default Friends of Bill

If you don't know what I'm talking about please don't bother responding. My wife and I are coming out from New Jersey for a wedding the week after Coachella and are attending the festival for the first time. Looking for sober people to hang with. Better yet if we can get a place to stay nearby that would even be better. We're staying near Palm Springs the following week. Still need to figure out lodging.

If you can help, I would certainly appreciate it.
    Simon in New Jersey

Default Re: Friends of Bill

Welcome to the board, Simon! Coachella is probably one of the best music festivals for sober attendees because the experience is not at all geared around drinking or getting drunk.

But you should probably move quickly to book lodging if you're planning to do something other than camping, because hotels and house rentals get filled very quickly.

vinylmartyr

I been sober almost 2 years. I know a few sober people who go every year. I would love to talk with you at the fest. I know where there are meetings at in the area.

Worse comes to worse we can always stay with her cousin. Meetings would be awesome too. Between us we have a little over 26 years. Nowadays it's nice to actually remember stuff I did the night before! The lineup looks good too.

I have over 3 years and have been to the festival for the past 2 and am going this time =)
    We are planning on camping off site in a trailor though...I am a little worried about camping on site, me being not a party-er...

I remember there used to be a group at Grateful Dead concerts near the end of their tenure called The Wharf Rats that was a bunch of 12 steppers that hung during their shows. I got sober 3 weeks after Garcia died in 1995. I've learned you can have just as much fun without drinking.

I am sobes 3.5 years. Went to Coachella 2004 drunk, went to 06, 07 and 08 sober. Coachella is my favorite time of the year, but also one of the roughest sobriety wise. Let's have a meeting! Heard there was one last year.
    1 Coachella before I got sober, 7 since. I support both versions. If you wanna do the sober version, roll with us:
    Click Soberchella 2013 for meeting details
    -------------------------------

I was sober for about 3 years, but took up drinking again after a vacation to England. It is literally impossible for me to walk past a pub and not go in.
    Upcoming shows:

Quote Originally Posted by Monklish View Post
    Seriously, Bill pissed in my mother's face once. True story.
    My name isn't Bill though...
    Morrissey; the greatest musician of all time.

It's all good. Sober now, used to be sober, drinking, maybe wanna get sober someday... I have respect for all of that. Good vibes only.
    1 Coachella before I got sober, 7 since. I support both versions. If you wanna do the sober version, roll with us:

Bob Forest of thelonious monster and the bicycle thief once told me that there's meetings at the festival.This was a couple of years ago when he was a Counselor at Las Encinas.
    Apparently he and Paul Tollet are good friends.Oh yeah have a great fuking time, I hope you find a place to stay.

Found our lodging which is good. Now looking forward to the festival. From what I understand it is a pain in the ass getting in and out of there if you are driving. Is there public transportation to and from Palm Springs?

As far as meetings go, I can always call the local Intergroup office for some in the area. It would be nice to meet up with sober people. Most drinking events I can handle with no problem. Some extra support would certainly be welcomed.

vinylmartyr

Fellowship hall in Palm Desert is the Best Place for meetings.

45940 Portola Ave
    Palm Desert, CA 92260

http://www.aainthedesert.org/meeting...ty=Palm+Desert

I know they have some sobriety stuff going on in the artist village. I saw a M.A.P. tent set up. Linton Kwesi Johnson asked me for rolling papers back there. I would have loved to have gotten high with him if I was still getting loaded..

Hard core steppers meet at the ABC Club

http://www.palmspringslife.com/Palm-...listing/23590/
    Youth, you son of a bitch, where did you go?

Quote Originally Posted by Emma Ocean View Post
    so I assume you've never been cunt punched at a festival? Well lucky you!

vinylmartyr

I been to the ABC club. Mostly for CA meetings.

"Never argue with fools, because from a distance, people can't tell who is who"

Quote Originally Posted by MonOm View Post
    You know what else is dumb - that you started a John Mayer thread.

Personally, I am totally willing to start a meeting at the festival. Wherever two or more are gathered, right? I'll even bring a copy of chapter 3 and chapter 5 readings to make it official.
    I would like to meet on the grass, probably around noon or a time we can agree on when there aren't too many bands playing. Any thoughts, anyone?

This will be great. My girlfriend and I are making our first coachella this year. It'll be great to meet some others in recovery while we are there. I'll be watching the post.
    Wow, 12 step meetings at Coachella, who knew? SOBERCHELLA.COM

I'm a reasonable man, get off my case....

my wife and i arent sober, but we are not lunatics, if you need a place to stay we have a room in our house available a/c, shower, breakfast. we just want mellow people to let the room to. we are also well within walking distance, and are respectful of your wishes to "coachella in sobriety" ugachakarock@hotmail.com

tel that s.o.b bill he still owes me $10 and i want it back

Quote Originally Posted by ugachaka View Post
    my wife and i arent sober, but we are not lunatics, if you need a place to stay we have a room in our house available a/c, shower, breakfast. we just want mellow people to let the room to. we are also well within walking distance, and are respectful of your wishes to "coachella in sobriety" ugachakarock@hotmail.com
    Thanks for the offer, it's very tempting. We've been planning to camp and I think we'll stick with that plan. We hate to feel like we're missing out on anything and camping just seems like the way to catch every last ounce of the coachella experience.

bill can suck my cock and when i see him..................watcha

Hey guys. Thanks for the responses.
    I've gotten responses from a good handful of people who are down to have a meeting, and I'm thinking that (to avoid posts like the genius above me) we can compile email addresses and start an email thread to decide when and where to have the meeting once the set times are released.
    Keep Personal Messaging me with yr email addresses, phone numbers, whatever.
    We're making this happen.
    SOBERCHELLA 09.
    haha...

Best,
    Joseph

Smile Re: Friends of Bill

Quote Originally Posted by involvelemons View Post
    Hey guys. Thanks for the responses.
    I've gotten responses from a good handful of people who are down to have a meeting, and I'm thinking that (to avoid posts like the genius above me) we can compile email addresses and start an email thread to decide when and where to have the meeting once the set times are released.
    Keep Personal Messaging me with yr email addresses, phone numbers, whatever.
    We're making this happen.
    SOBERCHELLA 09.
    haha...

Best,
    Joseph
    I don't know, I kinda like the comments. I know I said way worse shit about recovery, AA, NA, etc before I needed it. Come to think about it, I still sometimes talk shit about it, but that's just me. Looking forward to seeing you next week.
    Soberchella '09
    Last edited by koryp; 04-07-2009 at 01:22 PM. Reason: gramma

Even though I love my substances, Coachella is still incredibly awesome sober. I know it sounds cheesy, but at coachella you really do get high on life, its "pure" inebriation
    Coachella '05 '06 '07 '08 '09

Quote Originally Posted by koryp View Post
    I don't know, I kinda like the comments. I know I said way worse shit about recovery, AA, NA, etc before I needed it. Come to think about it, I still sometimes talk shit about it, but that's just me. Looking forward to seeing you next week.
    Soberchella '09
    Haha. I talk shit sometimes, too.
    Thanks for stopping me from taking myself too seriously.

*Bump*

Keep PM'ing me names and emails. Anxiously waiting the set times so that we can decide when and where to meet.
    Also, I'm considering hitting a meeting in Indio. Carpool? My car seats 5 (and maybe a couple illegally in the cargo area in the back? haha)

Yeah. A little over 3 yrs and headn' down solo this year from Tahoe. A tad worried but will travel with a plan. I'd love to do a meeting on site. I will be going to the one in dtown Indio while I'm there. There is also an NA meeting. Text me anyone, please: 530-386-4828.

Thumbs up Re: Friends of Bill

Quote Originally Posted by fromage View Post
    Yeah. A little over 3 yrs and headn' down solo this year from Tahoe. A tad worried but will travel with a plan. I'd love to do a meeting on site. I will be going to the one in dtown Indio while I'm there. There is also an NA meeting. Text me anyone, please: 530-386-4828.
    Done