Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Regarding My Bloody Valentine

Default Re: Regarding My Bloody Valentine

I hope MBV (or the Cure) doesn't conflict with M.A.N.D.Y. That would tear me apart...
    Quote Originally Posted by hannibul View Post
    It was NOT over when the germans bombed Pearl Harbor!
    '06, '07, '08, '09, '11!

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ravennome View Post
    They will have to be the last act that day. I mean bleed over from the 15-20 minute gut liquefying NOISE WALL will be horrendous. This show was a amazing, I just can't believe they are going to try and do it outdoors, seems like it will be hard to get the same effect without destroying any and all surrounding acts.

MBV thanks for the plugs by the way, my ears thank you.
    MBV played out doors at Fuji and Roskilde.....fyi. But your right...they should closed out the stage....
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Reviewers who note the size of the crowd are dumb fucks.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

I don't think the Cure will play for hours -- I'm guessing they will be scheduled for like 2-2 1/4 and might go over a little. Aren't most of the ~3 hour sets they've played indoors or in venues that don't have a noise curfew?

Honestly I can't wait to see the reaction of people who have not heard MBV and who will have not bothered to check them out before the festival. Can you imagine being oblivious to their existence, hanging out at another stage and having that wall of noise hit you.... you'd wait for it to end quickly and would be thinking WTF? after only a minute.

Quote Originally Posted by chiapet View Post
    I don't think the Cure will play for hours -- I'm guessing they will be scheduled for like 2-2 1/4 and might go over a little. Aren't most of the ~3 hour sets they've played indoors or in venues that don't have a noise curfew?

Honestly I can't wait to see the reaction of people who have not heard MBV and who will have not bothered to check them out before the festival. Can you imagine being oblivious to their existence, hanging out at another stage and having that wall of noise hit you.... you'd wait for it to end quickly and would be thinking WTF? after only a minute.
    priceless...
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

HAHAHA I am laughing at the thought of people kind of staring blankly at the music, then the noise wall hits and all the people waiting at the rail for The Cure (the less informed ones) run away with their hands over their ears in pain...lol. Then I slide in even closer for my rail spot.

July 21- Soundgarden- Bill Graham Civic Auditorium
    July 30- Rage Against the Machine/Muse- LA Coliseum
    Oct 21- Portishead- Berkeley Greek
    Nov 18- Pixies- Fox Theater Bakersfield

I don't need earplugs. I trained in deafness under Marlee Matlin.

The wall of noise in "You Made Me Realise" is so loud that it makes the hair on your arm stand up (presuming you have any). You feel tingles throughout your body and a breeze from the amps if you're close enough. It's ridiculous.

Their headline shows are always 3 hours, or close to it. 8pm - 11pm or 9pm - 12am depending on curfew times.

Coachella will probably only give them 2 hours. They got 90 minutes back in 2004 but played a half hour past curfew anyway.
    2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012b, 2013a, 2014a

I'm staying way the fuck far back during My Bloody Valentine.

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    I'm staying way the fuck far back during My Bloody Valentine.
    the sound will follow amyz...there is not escaping...palm springs will shudder...

Maybe if they conflict with Throbbing Gristle they'll have a noise battle between the sahara and main. No survivors.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCoachellaHellYeah View Post
    actually...wasn't their Fuji Rock set only 75 minutes? How long were their normal set lists?
    Found it...Their Fuji Rock set was 75 minutes...

http://www.smash-uk.com/frf08/lineup.html

21:30 to 22:45

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCoachellaHellYeah View Post
    actually...wasn't their Fuji Rock set only 75 minutes? How long were their normal set lists?
    I saw them at Fuji Rock and I believe their set was about 75-80 minutes but it felt like "You Made Me Realise" was about 25-30 minutes, and I mean that in an awesome way. I think they also cut out a couple songs from their regular set.

Quote Originally Posted by Memorial_07 View Post
    I'm still weary about that: should I bring earplugs if I plan on being in near the front during MBV even though it's outdoor?
    Bring earplugs. I was up front at Fuji Rock and wore earplugs and could hear fine. My ears were pretty good the next day. My cousin and his wife, on the other hand, had ringing in their ears for days. Also during YMMR, it sound better with earplugs. I pulled them out for a second and it was insanely loud to an indescribable volume...and I had moved probably 50 yards back at that point

You Made Me Realise from one of their Roundhouse shows

Just a thought to bring up: Coachella has a tradition, as with other festivals, of never having an artist who repeats from a previous year play the same stage as before, the excpetions being the Sahara artists and headliners. Since Yeah Yeah Yeahs played the main stage in 2006, I wouldn't honestly be that surprised to see them play the Outdoor Theatre in 2009. Sure, they're pretty big, but honestly they haven't gotten any bigger since 2006 (we'll see how this new album does), I don't really see it being that overcrowded.

With that said, I would have been a bit curious to see if My Bloody Valentine would have in fact played the Main instead of the Outdoor, had it not been for JAMC in 2007. They'll be on the Main Stage just the same. The exception of Love & Rockets was due to Roger Waters. If indeed The Cure play 2.5 hours like Waters did, then I won't be so sure. But I still highly doubt they get more than 2 hours 15 minutes, just pure speculation...
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    Put a boombox playing Sarah McLachlan behind a fan, call it a day.

Coachella Junkie

I'm not sure speculation about 15 minutes is really worth wasting time on.

Pot, will you be watching MBV?

Quote Originally Posted by woogie846 View Post
    Compared to other acts, how loud are MBV live?
    it's probably better to compare MBV to things like jets taking off rather than other bands, but if you must, think of the loudest band you've ever heard, then imagine a band playing loud enough to completely drown that out.

MBV sets aren't really all that long. I think they will get enough time to play what they usually do.

It's not really painfully loud though. The tones aren't absolutely screeching so a lot of them sound really nice and soothing. I only needed earplugs during the noise coda at the end because that's just ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by pancakespancakes View Post
    With that said, I would have been a bit curious to see if My Bloody Valentine would have in fact played the Main instead of the Outdoor, had it not been for JAMC in 2007. They'll be on the Main Stage just the same. The exception of Love & Rockets was due to Roger Waters. If indeed The Cure play 2.5 hours like Waters did, then I won't be so sure. But I still highly doubt they get more than 2 hours 15 minutes, just pure speculation...

In all honesty, I think the Main Stage will go Throbbing Gristle > MBV > Cure

I recall in 2005 when they did this with Gang of Four > New Order > NIN

It just seems to me that Throbbing gristle before MBV would be a wise choice because I imagine anybody interested in seeing MBV would definitely like to see Throbbing gristle too.

I can't wait for MBV or TG.

Quote Originally Posted by CurableOkie View Post
    In all honesty, I think the Main Stage will go Throbbing Gristle > MBV > Cure

I recall in 2005 when they did this with Gang of Four > New Order > NIN

It just seems to me that Throbbing gristle before MBV would be a wise choice because I imagine anybody interested in seeing MBV would definitely like to see Throbbing gristle too.

I can't wait for MBV or TG.
    Yeah you know, I won't be too surprised I guess, but just thinking about Throbbing Gristle on the main stage... I dunno. That's a weird move by GV. I'm not sure how well that will go over. But we'll see I guess. Like I said, I also won't be super suprised to see Yeah Yeah Yeahs play the Outdoor in a move to avoid repetition. But I just see Throbbing Gristle on the Outdoor or the Mohave, it's not like that many people will know them anyway...

If the whole thing about a band not playing the same time is true that's not gunna be good for Franz/Morrissey/ or MBV/Yeah Yeah Yeahs fans
    I honestly don't want to have to miss any of those bands

MBV on the main stage....with all them speakers. They are going to fuck up our shit so good.

I just hope Throbbing Gristle conflicts with the Cure, not with MBV. MBV being the ONLY fucking act that could keep me away from Throbbing Gristle's set.
    Years Attended:

Quote Originally Posted by thedevious View Post
    MBV on the main stage....with all them speakers. They are going to fuck up our shit so good.

I just hope Throbbing Gristle conflicts with the Cure, not with MBV.
    Agreed on both counts.

There is no band this year that would keep me from MBV, because they're my only real "must-see" of the weekend, but I will be really fucking sad about missing Yeah Yeah Yeahs or Throbbing Gristle for them. With that said, though, the TG vs. YYY conflict would be such a bitch. I just have no idea who I'd take. One of my favorite live bands in existence vs. one of the most rare bands ever that I have nothing but the utmost respect for. Ughh... that'd be like Kraftwerk vs. Animal Collective all over again... lame.

Anyway, I posted this in another thread, but this is my ideal Sunday evening:
    Yeah Yeah Yeahs (Main Stage) 6:30-7:30
    My Bloody Valentine (Main Stage) 8:00-9:10
    Throbbing Gristle (Mohave Tent) 9:30-10:30
    The Cure (Main Stage) 10:30-END

With No Age and Fucked Up earlier, that's pretty much THE perfect day for me.
    Last edited by pancakespancakes; 01-31-2009 at 06:58 PM.

I think Throbbing Gristle might get the Spiritualized slot in the Mojave.

or are they one of those bands that have to play in the dark?

Quote Originally Posted by AAM!!! View Post
    I think Throbbing Gristle might get the Spiritualized slot in the Mojave.

or are they one of those bands that have to play in the dark?
    What if they get the Happy Mondays slot from 07? Sahara closer Vs. mainstage closer. Those of us that year who either had already seen Rage or didn't give a fuck were dancing our asses off in there!
    Years Attended:

Wasn't infected mushroom playing against Rage in 07 @ the sahara?

What's this business about going over curfew? Is that actually a big deal? Hasn't it happened many times in the past?

Almost always, at least one of the stages goes til 12:30. Prince went til 1am last year.
    GV gets fined bigtime for every minute past midnite, or so I am led to believe.

Quote Originally Posted by woogie846 View Post
    Compared to other acts, how loud are MBV live?
    They are the loudest band I have ever seen. They get progressively louder as the show goes on. There were parts of "You Made Me Realise" that I could feel in my teeth. I am not spouting hyperbole here. I was feeling vibrations in my teeth. It is fucking gorgeous.