Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Regarding My Bloody Valentine

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

Default Re: Regarding My Bloody Valentine

Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post
    They made Kit Katt puke when she saw them last year. That loud.

I have heard comparisons that they sound as loud as listening to a jet take off from less than 100 yards away. Except, the sound doesn't last for a couple seconds. It lasts over an hour.

I hope I can hear The Cure after....
    from Wiki
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loveless_(album)
    Robert Smith of The Cure discovered Loveless after a period of almost exclusively listening to "disco, or Irish bands like the Dubliners" as a means of avoiding his contemporaries, and said, "[My Bloody Valentine] was the first band I heard who quite clearly pissed all over us, and their album Loveless is certainly one of my all-time three favourite records. It's the sound of someone [Shields] who is so driven that they're demented. And the fact that they spent so much time and money on it is so excellent."
    Maybe MBV will close OUT the main stage? Robert Smiths seems to be a huge fan of MBV and might not want to follow that...
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Reviewers who note the size of the crowd are dumb fucks.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

Coachella isn't known for long set times. In fact, they are know for SHORT set times. I doubt MBV will get 75 minutes and the Cure will get 3 hours. With that being said, Prince playng 2+ hours last year and Roger Water getting 2.5 hours scheduled, and playing almost 3, was a break in traditions. As was both subheadliners on Saturday getting an hour. Perhaps this year will further break the tradition.

But lets see...

My Bloody Valentine: 7:00-8:15
    The Cure: 9:00-end

In past years, between 7 till midnight, Coachella ususaly fits in 3 or 4 bands. You really think they will condense it down to two?
    yeah, i don't think the cure will get 3 hrs 2 and a half max, but there was an article I remember reading awhile back when they made the switch to three days that one of the reasons they did it was to be able to have longer sets.
    The White Stripes 9/18

Memorial_07

Coachella isn't known for long set times. In fact, they are know for SHORT set times. I doubt MBV will get 75 minutes and the Cure will get 3 hours. With that being said, Prince playng 2+ hours last year and Roger Water getting 2.5 hours scheduled, and playing almost 3, was a break in traditions. As was both subheadliners on Saturday getting an hour. Perhaps this year will further break the tradition.

But lets see...

My Bloody Valentine: 7:00-8:15
    The Cure: 9:00-end

In past years, between 7 till midnight, Coachella ususaly fits in 3 or 4 bands. You really think they will condense it down to two?
    I'm sure Paul doesn't want that problem of going over the curfew like with what happened with Prince again and every band that plays Coachella has a 50 minute set which seems pretty long

Assuming, that MBV goes on at that time and the YYY's before then it may be like this:
    Throbbing Gristle: 5:25-6:15
    Yeah Yeah Yeahs: 6:45-7:40
    MBV: 8:00-9:00 or 9:15
    The Cure-9:30 End

the only problem with that is Throbbing Gristle playing at a time like that unless they played near the end of MBV's set and into the beginning of the Cure's set on the outdoor theatre but that would suck more

Quote Originally Posted by summerkid View Post
    yeah, i don't think the cure will get 3 hrs 2 and a half max, but there was an article I remember reading awhile back when they made the switch to three days that one of the reasons they did it was to be able to have longer sets.
    I think The Cure will get 2.5 hours. Chris suggested they will get upwards of 3. I say no way. The Cure will get 2.5 hours and play 15 minutes over time. Like they did at Sasquatch last year.

MBV will get an hour, MAYBE 70 minutes. At most though.

Also, I do hope we start seeing longer set times in the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Memorial_07

MBV will probably get 60 minutes just like Portishead and remember they have to disassemble equipment and set up which will probably take a while for a band like the cure

I think The Cure will get 2.5 hours. Chris suggested they will get upwards of 3. I say no way. The Cure will get 2.5 hours and play 15 minutes over time. Like they did at Sasquatch last year.

MBV will get an hour, MAYBE 70 minutes. At most though.

Also, I do hope we start seeing longer set times in the future.
    i agree completely.
    The White Stripes 9/18

Quote Originally Posted by woogie846 View Post
    Compared to other acts, how loud are MBV live?
    130db sustained for 15 minutes, think about it. thats what happens during the holocaust ending. I lost hearing and had ear plugs. We will all benefit from being outdoors that for sure.

Josh I was kidding you know, the cure wont get 3 hours, probably a solid 2, but they will go over midnight. MBV gets 75 or so and think about this, if all the bands get stacked to saturday like last year, its a sign. Roger Waters got his 2 1/2 hours because there were so few acts on the bill and 2 stages could stop early. MACCA is geting 2 1/2, any less and its gonna be weird.

Memorial_07

I'm still weary about that: should I bring earplugs if I plan on being in near the front during MBV even though it's outdoor?

And If the Cure goes over midnight it'll probably be 12:15 at maximum.

Quote Originally Posted by woogie846 View Post
    Compared to other acts, how loud are MBV live?
    they are loud enough for me to look for earbuds, and im not joking. on sunday im going to really bring ear buds just for mbv

YYYs 7:00-7:50
    My Bloody Valentine 8:15-9:30
    The Cure 10:00-whenever they pull the plug

= an amazing 5+ hours.

How loud? Quite. And I have never been to a show where they gave everyone free earplugs until My Bloody Valentine. Probably to protect themselves in case somebody sues. And I surrendered my rail spot and was all the way in the back so it wasn't that bad, except the holocaust. People without earplugs were cowering and covering their ears in agony. And yes, puking. Infra and ultrasounds FTW.
    Last edited by Boourns; 01-31-2009 at 10:58 AM.
    9/10 Swans @ Roxy, 9/17 Karen O at Masonic Lodge, 9/19 Tokimonsta @ El Rey, 9/20 Chvrches @ Tower Theatre, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/3-4 Desert Stars, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/22-25 CMJ, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

I keep warning the people I am going with that we will need earplugs for MBV and they are under the impression that because it is outside it won't be as loud...I am bringing a mess of earbuds just to be safe...
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post
    YYYs 7:00-7:50
    My Bloody Valentine 8:15-9:30
    The Cure 10:00-whenever they pull the plug

= an amazing 5+ hours.
    Boourns = The Voice of reason for set times...

Memorial_07

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCoachellaHellYeah View Post
    Boourns = The Voice of reason for set times...
    If he took off YYY's and gave that spot to Throbbing Gristle

I agree. Bourns set times win.
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Bring the earplugs, you will need it, Im just saying, lets be glad its outside, because the sound wont bounce back to us. Im sure you will hear the holocaust all the way in sahara if you were outside of it.

I read reviews of MBV at Fufi Rock last year. Apparently it was just as loud as any other MBV show.

Quote Originally Posted by Memorial_07 View Post
    If he took off YYY's and gave that spot to Throbbing Gristle
    Isn't Throbbing Gristle too esoteric for main stage?

And there's no way YYY's get a smaller stage after the massive crowd in 2006.
    9/10 Swans @ Roxy, 9/17 Karen O at Masonic Lodge, 9/19 Tokimonsta @ El Rey, 9/20 Chvrches @ Tower Theatre, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/3-4 Desert Stars, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/22-25 CMJ, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

I really liked the Santa Monica Civic...wish there were more shows there.

I read reviews of MBV at Fufi Rock last year. Apparently it was just as loud as any other MBV show.
    what the articles didn't say is that they destroyed small villages miles away....true stiry...

Coachella Junkie

Throbbing Gristle will not be on the main stage. MBV will not be allowed to play as loud as they like.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCoachellaHellYeah View Post
    what the articles didn't say is that they destroyed small villages miles away....true stiry...
    Actually, I heard a report 1,000 festival goers died due to the Avalanches caused by MBV's noise holocaust. True story.

Memorial_07

Isn't Throbbing Gristle too esoteric for main stage?

And there's no way YYY's get a smaller stage after the massive crowd in 2006.
    That is my fear. If they are playing on the Outdoor theatre for a later set instead of an earlier main stage set then they'll probably conflict with YYY's and MBV which means I'd watch some (maybe most) of TG, then run have to back and push my way as close as I can to the front for MBV which would suck terribly

Actually, I heard a report 1,000 festival goers died due to the Avalanches caused by MBV's noise holocaust. True story.
    I shit my pants, and the pants of everyone within a 10 foot radius because of MBV's noise holocaust.

True story.
    Quote Originally Posted by garspaceman View Post
    well hello my fancy pants.

Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    MBV will be allowed to play as loud as they like.
    Fixed. Also, Go Fuck Yourself.

What if Throbbing Gristle plays during the Cure? They seem to be a band that could only play in the dark.

Edit: I take that back. Coachella tends to not schedule rare acts against each other (so no MBV vs Throbbing Gristle) or against headliners.
    Last edited by Boourns; 01-31-2009 at 11:21 AM.

Memorial_07

What if Throbbing Gristle plays during the Cure? They seem to be a band that could only play in the dark.

Edit: I take that back. Coachella tends to not schedule rare acts against each other (so no MBV vs Throbbing Gristle) or against headliners.
    Unless TG plays on the outdoor theatre near the end of the Cure's set then that may be ok

I don't know how MBV can play anything other than a closing set. How could anything follow YMMR?

Memorial_07

what if it goes like this:

The Cure: 9:30-11:00

MBV: 10:45-12:00 on the outdoor theatre

fucking amazing

I veto MBV on the Outdoor for the simple reason that the Outdoor ALWAYS has sound issues...and Kevin being the freak that he is would go nuts if that happened...MBV need to stay on the main stage...

They will have to be the last act that day. I mean bleed over from the 15-20 minute gut liquefying NOISE WALL will be horrendous. This show was a amazing, I just can't believe they are going to try and do it outdoors, seems like it will be hard to get the same effect without destroying any and all surrounding acts.

MBV thanks for the plugs by the way, my ears thank you.