Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So if I want to be in the very front....?

tsunamijoel

Default So if I want to be in the very front....?

If I wanted to be in the front row/on the bar or at least close to it for one of the headliners how early would I have to get there?

Memorial_07

Default Re: So if I want to be in the very front....?

You can get there around 2 or 3 and secure a pretty good spot because after most bands people tend to clear out a little bit so if you push your way up (don't be an asshole though) you should be good

Heh...there should be "Don't Be An Asshole" signs everywhere.

Memorial_07

Some people will make it apparent to show you your being an asshole.

Probably by knocking you on your ass

What if a really big, tough looking guy, is being an asshole? When is it not worth getting into a fight?
    Upcoming shows:

I've never seen a fight in 3 Coachellas.

I know. Coachella is the best. It really is.
    Upcoming shows:

Quote Originally Posted by MancYank View Post
    Heh...there should be "Don't Be An Asshole" signs everywhere.
    Actually, there should be a really sturdy sign in the crowd that says "You can't shove pass me asshole."

Quote Originally Posted by tsunamijoel View Post
    If I wanted to be in the front row/on the bar or at least close to it for one of the headliners how early would I have to get there?
    the band before the one you want to see...

Srsly I was right up towards the front for Kraftwerk and I just sauntered up before they started and got right in.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Srsly I was right up towards the front for Kraftwerk and I just sauntered up before they started and got right in.
    So did I. By the time Portishead came on I was on the gate.

Just, drink enough liquid so that you stay hydrated. But know if you have to go to the bathroom, you're not getting back

Quote Originally Posted by clarky123 View Post
    Fuck your formal education up for music and stop being a coward.
    Quote Originally Posted by braundiggity View Post
    I dunno. Lots of the arguments seem hypocritical to me. Can't we leave it simply as: I loved the shit out of it, some hated the shit out of it, and that's just how some shows go?
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/musicislife/

Karma Police are coming for you

Memorial_07

Quote Originally Posted by Westy View Post
    What if a really big, tough looking guy, is being an asshole? When is it not worth getting into a fight?
    You can always complain to the asshole and maybe they'll be considerate

I was front row dead center for Waters, and I got there during Stars (although I did want to see them and Gogol, and at that time had never heard of My Morning Jacket).

Same thing for Prince. I got there during DCFC and had third row center for Kraftwerk, Portsihead, and Prince. In hindsight I wouldn't have gotten there that early and missed sets I wanted to see.

There's no way I can be in the front. I drink beer. I gotta drink beer. And for me one beer = 5 pee trips. It's annoying. So I don't think I would get my spot back if I made a trip to the porta potties.

Memorial_07

The only problem with me is that I'll take 5 bottles of water and they'll be gone within 10 minutes. I don't get dehydrated, I just don't conserve water even though I'll defintley need to especially if I plan on getting a good spot for the Cure and MBV

Quote Originally Posted by PrettyRagdoll View Post
    So did I. By the time Portishead came on I was on the gate.

Just, drink enough liquid so that you stay hydrated. But know if you have to go to the bathroom, you're not getting back
    I kinda wonder if Prince/Portishead/Kraftwerk was the exception because I started moving in a little before the band before DCFC came on and I got up to 2nd row (I shook Beth's hand). I didn't really expect to get that close.

Also, it is very hard to determine how much water to take and be hydrated. I brought a bottle and a half of water for the above waiting time, and I was done with the water before Kraftwerk. I felt dehydrated during the latter half of Kraftwerk and Portishead, or at least my mouth and eyes felt chapped (I cried a bit during Portishead). I probably should have brought 2 or 3 full bottles.

Memorial_07

I was upfront for Waters for about 30 minutes and I just walked right to the front during Sean Penn and I was set. But I'm sure it was harder because Kraftwerk, Portishead and Prince is more epic.

But Amy, how long were you up front for?

I was able to push through to the front after DCFC ended, so I was up there a couple hours and left after Portishead was done. I worked my way into the crowd during the very end of the band before DCFC.

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    I kinda wonder if Prince/Portishead/Kraftwerk was the exception because I started moving in a little before the band before DCFC came on and I got up to 2nd row (I shook Beth's hand). I didn't really expect to get that close.

Also, it is very hard to determine how much water to take and be hydrated. I brought a bottle and a half of water for the above waiting time, and I was done with the water before Kraftwerk. I felt dehydrated during the latter half of Kraftwerk and Portishead, or at least my mouth and eyes felt chapped (I cried a bit during Portishead). I probably should have brought 2 or 3 full bottles.
    I usually bring one of the big Smart Water bottles and I'll buy a gatorade. Those combined usually stave away the dehydration for me. But you're right. Usually it is a tad harder to get to the front for the headliner if you wait until two bands before

And I didn't even get back to the main stage until after DCFC had ended their set. My friends and I literally walked out of the beer gardens and into the crowd at the beginning of Kraftwerk

Quote Originally Posted by clarky123 View Post
    Fuck your formal education up for music and stop being a coward.
    Quote Originally Posted by braundiggity View Post
    I dunno. Lots of the arguments seem hypocritical to me. Can't we leave it simply as: I loved the shit out of it, some hated the shit out of it, and that's just how some shows go?
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/musicislife/

Karma Police are coming for you

Memorial_07

So for about 5 hours you were there?

was it a strain on you being that close?

1. Cut through the sides. Don't try entering through the center of the crowd. It's so much easier to just go from the side and push up.

2. Bring a gatorade bottle and a backpack with water...so when the act you do wanna see will not make you dehydrated. The Gatorade bottle is so u can piss in it. (chodes don't imply)

3. Be polite. do that you'll push up and be fine.
    What happen if someone make a crime?

Memorial_07

Thr only bitch part of coming through the sides is you'll be right in front of the screen instead of being in the center direction of the band which to me is kind of annoying

Quote Originally Posted by tsunamijoel View Post
    Your ribs will hate you.

In 2007 it sucked trying to get up front for headliners. RHCP and Rage both had fans adamant about not giving an inch of space.

Last year, the crowd was amazing. People who wanted to be up close got there, and people who wanted to hang back were cool about letting them pass. Last year was a dope ass crowd.

Memorial_07

I agree with that completely.

It'll probably be the same thing this year

If you go at the end of the set before the band you want to see the crowd moves-some getting out; others moving forward. I wouldn't miss any one I wanted to see by standing in the front until a band comes on-plus you kind of ruin it for the fans of the band on stage if you are not into them.

I was just a few rows from the front for the Verve last year, and I only made my way up midway through the Raconteurs. There was a mass exodus from the front before Jack Johnson that allowed his fans to get closer, though that might be an exception to how it works with most other headliners.
    Quote Originally Posted by garspaceman View Post
    well hello my fancy pants.

In 2003 we wanted to see everybody (except Jack Johnson) on the main stage from 12:45 (Whirlwind Rabbit) to 8 pm (when the White Stripes ended.) I bought a dozen waters and my friend bought some bags of chips (only portable/perishable food he could find.) We got to the mainstage around 12:30 and there were already people ahead of us and they didn't move all day. We never moved up. We were maybe 4 or 5 rows of people from the very front, but were right on the center rail.

We were there for almost 8 hours. It was hot, we didn't get to walk around and there were a few bands we could've seen between set breaks/instead of Jack Johnson but we missed out on that.

And being up that close during the White Stripes was painful. Much of the crowd behind us was pushing to try to get closer. I wasn't bruised or anything but I would definitely not do that again.

So if you NEED to be very front row for the main stage headliners you need to get there earlier than anyone else and spend all day at the main stage. I SOOOO recommend against that.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

Memorial_07

I'm sure the main stage schedule for '03 was chock full of good bands

Last year everyone complained and didn't want to see any of the bands except the headliners which gave people only maybe 3 hours of waiting time which isn't bad considering '07 for RATM.
    I lasted maybe an hour waiting then I said fuck this.

But last year I was on a side rail so I'm aiming for that this year too.

Quote Originally Posted by momof5 View Post
    If you go at the end of the set before the band you want to see the crowd moves-some getting out; others moving forward. I wouldn't miss any one I wanted to see by standing in the front until a band comes on-plus you kind of ruin it for the fans of the band on stage if you are not into them.
    Finally someone I agree with. There are so many great bands at Coachella. If you are such a fan of the headliner then go see them when they play on their own, a full show, for two hours, and get as close as you want. But why waste your time, missing tons of awesome bands on other stage and getting in the way of fans of the band currently paying on the stage.

I feel lucky that I usually am not that into the main stage headliner. I don't have fight the crowds.
    **Lauren**