Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coachella Virgin- Camp or Motel?

Smile Coachella Virgin- Camp or Motel?

So after wanting to go for the past six years, things worked out this year so I can actually go. Got my 3-day pass and am counting down the days already.

Having never been, I don't know what to expect. How bad is the driving/parking situation if you get a hotel in town as opposed to camping? How safe and clean is the camp situation? Give me input people!

Default Re: Coachella Virgin- Camp or Motel?

Camp, it's so much fun and adds a whole new dimension to the Coachella experience. Plus, you don't have to deal with traffic each day and you can just walk out of the festival and pass out right there. It's safe and there are decent showers (open early/late).
    Quote Originally Posted by hannibul View Post
    It was NOT over when the germans bombed Pearl Harbor!
    '06, '07, '08, '09, '11!

Camp if you want to PARTY
    Hotel if you want to SLEEP

(after the shows)

If you plan on being in an altered state all weekend like me, camping is the way to go. dui's suck donkey balls.
    Class of 1999, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 W2, 2013 W1 & 2014 W2

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
    How can some1 still 100 dollars from a broke single mom!!!!! WTF!! People r so getto!! I wouldint do that to some1 I hate

Quote Originally Posted by myelectrolife View Post
    Camp if you want to PARTY
    Hotel if you want to SLEEP

(after the shows)
    This is actually all you need to know.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

camping can be overwhelming for some, but if you want the full-blown coachella experience, CAMP!!!!!!! CAMP!!!!

and, the fact that it's a week earlier this year means that first waking up in the morning with the heat beating down on you in a stuffy tent won't be as miserable... one can hope.
    COACHELLA 99-01-05-06-07-08-09-10-11-12

the best way to experience Coachella is to Camp! If your anything like me and want to party when each night when coachella ends around midnight u can go straight back to the campgrounds and keep the party goin, I've heard it takes a really long time to get back and forth from motels and it kills your party mood, plus you meet a bunch of new amazing people, and their are Showers that are open every morning and Night and are cleaned daily along with the Porta poddies while everyone is inside at the fest

sorry didnt really read your question.

Camping is a lot of fun BUT you have to deal with a lot of shit. You dont camp where you park your car so you end up having to carry a bunch of shit to your campground from your car. Which took me several trips, having to wait in line to get in every time. If you are coming any later then thurs morning it will be a bitch, but FUN.

Hotel I dont know cuz I never do that. But I would imagine you would obviously get to choose when you go to bed and having a quiet clean air conditioned bed to sleep in plus shower and maybe even a pool. But the party scene could not possibly top the camping one.

If you NEED your sleep to function get a hotel. Sleeping is secondary at camp, plus it gets HOT. 100deg by noon. Prob, 85deg at 8am.

BUT FUN FUN FUN

you definitely need to camp.

Join the Camp All Alone club!!
    "The world is changed because you are made of ivory and gold; the curves of your lips rewrite history."

^word

Camp beats hotel...like paper beats rock...

Just curious...

I know that obviously, lots of people bring lots of things to alter themselves into the camp grounds... how hard is it just to get something like alcohol inside? I like the idea of camping and partying, but don't want to plan all of it then end up getting my booze taken away before I even get in the gate.

Just get crafty...

you can bring booze into the campsite (recalls seeing children's wagons full beer/hard liquor and even a keg being rolled in)...just not the festival grounds.

How can some1 still 100 dollars from a broke single mom!!!!! WTF!! People r so getto!! I wouldint do that to some1 I hate

I read somewhere around here that people use ziplock bags, or similar, for their liquid refreshment...roll it up in your sleeping bag...
    Last edited by andromedarkly; 01-30-2009 at 04:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by billtino View Post
    you can bring booze into the campsite (recalls seeing children's wagons full beer/hard liquor and even a keg being rolled in)...just not the festival grounds.
    From the On-Site Camping FAQ

"Can I bring food/beverages/chairs & a cooler into the campground?

Yes, excluding alcohol or glass bottles. Please remember that all packages, coolers and equipment will be fully searched by security personnel upon entrance."

condo with friends and plenty of booze.. traffic isn't that bad
    Hey Randy! What? The devil! Whuh? The devil is everywhere...

Quote Originally Posted by Knapptime View Post
    From the On-Site Camping FAQ

"Can I bring food/beverages/chairs & a cooler into the campground?

Yes, excluding alcohol or glass bottles. Please remember that all packages, coolers and equipment will be fully searched by security personnel upon entrance."
    bummer for the 2007 alums.

see above quote about getting "krafty" then

Lurker

Good luck finding a motel/hotel. Camping is better anyway--great vibe and convenient. If you want to increase your comfort level, bring something to shade your tent/space, b/c it's all about shade. Something to sit on is nice too.

OK, this is a stupid question, but, flame permitting, I am going to continue. Do you bring your own towel(s) to shower at the campgrounds?
    Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    the best songs are the ones that dont remind you of anyone in particular yet still give you that utter euphoric contentedness of perfection in your mind, body and soul. keep them close.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post
    A bag of doritos > RHCP > getting kicked in the balls > Mumford & Sons > skinned alive > Macklemore
    Quote Originally Posted by elliottb View Post
    Ohh god, you guys are so fucking sensitive. Yes there is potential to get laid at Coachella if you camp or are willing to have sex against the fences by the Sahara.

Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    OK, this is a stupid question, but, flame permitting, I am going to continue. Do you bring your own towel(s) to shower at the campgrounds?
    They provide nothing for you at the campgrounds other than running water and a space to spread your tent. So yes, you have to bring your own towel.

All right, thank you!
    Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    the best songs are the ones that dont remind you of anyone in particular yet still give you that utter euphoric contentedness of perfection in your mind, body and soul. keep them close.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post
    A bag of doritos > RHCP > getting kicked in the balls > Mumford & Sons > skinned alive > Macklemore
    Quote Originally Posted by elliottb View Post
    Ohh god, you guys are so fucking sensitive. Yes there is potential to get laid at Coachella if you camp or are willing to have sex against the fences by the Sahara.

i forgot to bring a pillow in 07, so folded up my towel and used it as a pillow at night. when i awoke, my once white towel was that coachella doo doo brown dirty color. by all means, bring a towel if you plan on showering.....or to us as a pillow.

They provide nothing for you at the campgrounds other than running water and a space to spread your tent. So yes, you have to bring your own towel.
    You forgot porta potties! And "running water" refers to the showers, which are portable trailers with individual (private) stalls - have shampoo/soap dispensers in them but wouldn't rely on it. Sinks w/water outside the shower trailers for teeth brushing, shaving, etc. These tend to be around the perimeter of camping area, so plan on walking a hundred yards or so thru the campground depending on your location. Not sure where exactly the shower/sink water comes from but you probably don't want to fill your water bottle ...it's clean enough but wouldn't taste the greatest after running through the plastic piping.

Memorial_07

To get a full Coachella experience, you'd probably want to camp just because there is more people and it is a non-stop party. I've never camped and that's fine with me. I love sleeping comfortably in a Hotel.

You guys are really pushing me toward the camping....

Couple more quick questions for the veterans...

1) They say noise curfew for the campground is 2am. Does anyone actually follow this?

2) Has anyone here ever regretted camping? I love a good party after a show, but if I'm staying Thursday, Friday, and Saturday night, I don't want to wake up Sunday on 2 hours of sleep all weekend, so exhausted that I end up leaving before I see The Cure.

I can get drunk and smoke any weekend I want- I'm trying to find good advice between balancing the music with the side stuff.

honestly, the only night i partied last year was thursday. once the festival started, id end up grabbing a slice of pizza and crashing in my tent from being tired of walking around all day. every morning i woke up early, took a shower, drove a block away, got some ihop then came back and chilled in my car with the a.c. on til festival gates opened. then i could walk in no line and chill in air conditioned tents if nothin was goin on yet.

camping=no traffic all weekend=win

Yes, there is really a noise curfew at 2AM but don't expect quiet. The noise level will drop but if you are a light sleeper and want to sleep, ear plugs are a good idea.

It's really not that bad. I'm a light sleeper and having an air mattress, a tent fan and ear plugs makes it comfortable enough that I could sleep in each morning. And plus at some point, you're so tired that you just crash.

You should CAMP! It's cheaper and it will make your vacation much more memorable.
    Hello my name is Johnny Polite and they are going to kill me...
    Concert Calendar:
    Burning Hotels 1.14 | The Kills 1.23 | Adam Ant 2.7 | Girls 3.9 | Dr. Dog 3.11 | Neon Indian 3.13 | Andrew Bird 3.15| Band of Skulls 3.17

twitter.com/thechris104
    youtube.com/thechris104
    granadatheater.com

Coachella Junkie frozen pilgrim's Avatar

camping IS coachella.
    I can't imagine wanting to leave that magical place to go sleep in a building. being outdoors for a few days is so integral to the festival experience... I think paul tollet believes that- otherwise he and goldenvoice wouldn't have pushed and bargained to get camping added to the festival after a couple years