Thread: Any chance performances go past midnight?

Default Any chance performances go past midnight?

Was wondering A. Why does the music end so early? B. Any chance the times get extended this year?

Default Re: Any chance performances go past midnight?

Only if prince does a 4th encore...

Quote Originally Posted by abcdefg View Post
    Was wondering A. Why does the music end so early? B. Any chance the times get extended this year?

justice played past 12 if i remember right
    Coachella is better than Christmas

yeah they go past 12 all the time.

edit. not alot past 12 but past 12.. maybe its just past 12 by the time you get out of there.
    06 07 08 09 10

Right. But I mean till 2 3 4 AM. Artists starting a set after midnight.

why would they?

The polo fields are surrounded by houses and you can definitely hear the concert in those houses. I think its amazing they can play till 12 really....Last year my buddies who were too stupid to stay for Justice said they could hear it blocks away.
    06 07 08 09 10

nah they wont extended the show beyond midnight. go to bonnaroo if you want tunes until 5am

Coachella Junkie frozen pilgrim's Avatar

we're lucky to get noon to midnight. we really are, considering the location. it's picture perfect, beautifully cared for, and in the middle of about five golf courses full of houses.
    the sahara tent is equipped with a sound system created by RAT sound out of industry-leading L'Acoustics cabinets (frenchies know their EDM speakers) that has <.1 harmonic distortion at a hundred and fifteen Db. it can be heard two miles away.
    that's just the sahara tent.

we are SO lucky.

lolla ends at 10.

yes, bonnaroo goes until 4AM. and then it's humid and dirty and you have to pay to take a shower.

each festival is its' own animal. love it or leave it.

Quote Originally Posted by abcdefg View Post
    Right. But I mean till 2 3 4 AM. Artists starting a set after midnight.
    this is where camping comes into the picture...party goes well into the sunrise.
    Coachella 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11
    Lollapalooza 95, 96, 97, 03, 08
    Rock The Bells 07, 09, 10
    Sasquatch 10
    Bonnaroo 09
    Vegoose 07, RIP
    Mile High 09

Upcoming Shows
    6/9 - Deftones/Dillenger | 6/10 - Cake | 6/17 - Buckethead | 6/28 - Glitch Mob | 7/25 - APC | 7/30 - LA Rising (Rage, Muse, Lauryn Hill, Rise Against) | 8/12 - Cut//Copy

Memorial_07

they'll probably be a bit more strict since Prince's set was well over the time limit but by 11:30 or midnight I'm beat the fuck up

Quote Originally Posted by frozen pilgrim View Post
    yes, bonnaroo goes until 4AM. and then it's humid and dirty and you have to pay to take a shower.

each festival is its' own animal. love it or leave it.
    Well bonnaroo doesn't charge for camping, so they kind of win in that department. It is dirtier though, but the margin is slim because let me tell you tents get WAY more humid at Coachella than Bonnaroo.

Second part I agree with completely go.

And to answer the question Prince played until 1am, it seems they usually let the shows go a little past midnight but on Sunday 12:30 comes and they want you out the door. That's the worst part...leaving.
    That which comes closest to expressing the inexpressible is music - Aldous Huxley

Hooked since '06

Check my latest music video

Quote Originally Posted by gooftroop View Post
    That's the worst part...leaving.
    it is so sad when everything is quiet and you walk through the field of empty cups and bottles. they turn on the lights and you start counting "363, 362.."

No sets are ever scheduled to start past midnight, but many sets go past that time.

Theyre a bit selective in who gets to go over. Prince, for example, got to go on as long as he wanted. A bunch of years ago Mos Def was pleading for GV to let him keep performing, he was even saying stuff like 'I'll pay the fine out of my own money! Let's keep it going!" But... no dice. He was cut by 12:10, 12:15.

They used to talk about an actual per-minute fine that GV would have to pay Indio for every minute past midnight the sound kept going. Not sure if that's still true.

Good the Bad and the Queen's set in '07 got pushed back pretty late. I can't remember the exact time it went to but I do remember Damon Albarn looking at the clock frequently and shooting his band mates distressed looks.

the sahara tent is equipped with a sound system created by RAT sound out of industry-leading L'Acoustics cabinets (frenchies know their EDM speakers) that has <.1 harmonic distortion at a hundred and fifteen Db. it can be heard two miles away.
    i think i just creamed myself

Quote Originally Posted by Stefania View Post
    Good the Bad and the Queen's set in '07 got pushed back pretty late. I can't remember the exact time it went to but I do remember Damon Albarn looking at the clock frequently and shooting his band mates distressed looks.
    if i remember correctly, GB&Q was allowed to play a full set since they had problems with the speakers or something electrical. whatever it was it wasn't their fault, so i think GV gave them the extra time. can anybody corroborate this?

Quote Originally Posted by frozen pilgrim View Post
    that's just the sahara tent.

Damn that's amazing. Also explains why after two hours right up by the front speakers I had trouble hearing for a few hours.
    Quote Originally Posted by lizng View Post
    Nickelback to me is like walking into an ethnic restaurant and asking to have some unoriginal American cuisine like chicken tenders with a side of ranch dressing.

Acts with big crowds won't get unplugged for running late, but fines will ensue. Unplugging Prince or Daft or Tool = riot.
    9/10 Swans @ Roxy, 9/17 Karen O at Masonic Lodge, 9/19 Tokimonsta @ El Rey, 9/20 Chvrches @ Tower Theatre, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/3-4 Desert Stars, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/22-25 CMJ, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

I just remember Prince going on so late and thinking to myself that GV was going to get spanked with fines.

Art Brut played several minutes past midnight in '07. Crew members tried to literally drag them off stage to avoid the fines. Never seen anyone look so stressed-out in my life as the dude emphatically pointing to the clock.

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldragon03 View Post
    I just remember Prince going on so late and thinking to myself that GV was going to get spanked with fines.
    Prince can do whatever the fuck he wants...
    "I like when good things happen to me, but I wait two weeks to tell anyone because I like to use the word ‘fortnight.’" - D.M.

Quote Originally Posted by Memorial_07 View Post
    they'll probably be a bit more strict since Prince's set was well over the time limit but by 11:30 or midnight I'm beat the fuck up
    Amen... but since it's one weekend a year I find ways to fight through the fatigue. What I don't get, is how the people in the campsite can stay up for hours after midnight (drug use lol)? If you've been in the festival grounds for 12 hours straight that makes it pretty easy for me to crash.
    If y'all fresh to death, then I'm deceased... -Kanye West
    Jamiroquai 2015 please.
    Quote Originally Posted by miscorrections View Post
    How is any of that ironic? On this board I absolutely expect terrible people to call other people terrible.

Coachella Junkie frozen pilgrim's Avatar

yeah, I'm not sure how some people do it.

me, as soon as the sun wakes me up at like eight, I'm ready to go. shower, then get my shit together for the day and party with people in the campground.
    head in to the grounds as soon as they open... there's stuff going on from minute one, and never enough time to see EVERYTHING. I'm dancing and moving from place to place for like... twelve, thirteen hours solid. I can make it to maybe 3 AM in the campground.
    except for 07. we didn't feel like getting caught in ragerrgrrerrexodusserrr, so at 3 when we wanted to pass out, instead we packed up and hitchiked back to LA in time for sunrise coming through the mountains, and breakfast at denny's.

Midnight is kinda a huge cut-off point. GV gets fined per minute they over-run (which mostly is deducted from the over-running artist). They get only a slapped wrist for brief over-runs, but the owners of Polo Fields and Indio city officials have warned that GV will not get renewed if they allow long over-runs.
    I agree all-night festivals are great! One of my best memories is Chemical Brothers at 2-4am in Spain!!!

Memorial_07

Quote Originally Posted by fiopadp7791 View Post
    Amen... but since it's one weekend a year I find ways to fight through the fatigue. What I don't get, is how the people in the campsite can stay up for hours after midnight (drug use lol)? If you've been in the festival grounds for 12 hours straight that makes it pretty easy for me to crash.
    some people are superhuman but at long events like that I'm unfortunately not but I can last about 11 hours

Quote Originally Posted by Memorial_07 View Post
    Agreed back in 07 on saturday i got over to the main stage at around kings of leon so i could get a good spot for Arcade fire went thru that set then got even closer like 20ft from stage before chilli peppers after all that pushing and shit i jumped the barrier and went off to the side and stood there for the whole set lol no one told me to move it was tight,after that the black keys where on but damn after all that heat and stuff i was on music overload

Paul is dead

How much over they go depends on how rich the headliner is. Hence, Prince last year.