Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Coachella life changing?

Default Is Coachella life changing?

Part of the reason I want to go, is this idea, however infantile or juvenile it sounds, is the idea that going to a festival can change your life. That seeing a band can change your life, that one night or 3 days and nights of music, can alter your worldview. A moment where everything makes sense, where the outside world doesnt exist and its just the music and thousands of your closest friends.

Its not all that crazy, because its happened several times to me, seeing mindblowing life changing live shows, but it seems like with the large amount of bands that attend these shows, the probability of this would be hightenend. I have only attended standard shows, 1 or two opening bands and then the headliner. What appeals to me about festivals and coachella is that there usually is 20 bands worth seeing and many more, who you dont know, but would most likely be worth checking out.

Thoughts?

After attending coachella do you feel different? Changed?

Lurker

Default Life changes

I have minor beef. I mean, to say that every moment you live doesn't affect the next is a little off. The expectation of, or hope for, a life changing experience can be limiting too.

That said, I had a bomg-diggity time at RATM [Coachella '07] and would say I have a lasting fondness towards that experience. I don't even like Rage all that much and from my pov they played like a band who hadn't really thrown down on stage for 7 years, the energy on the festival grounds blew me away and I felt hella connected to everyone I grazed arms with or made eye contact with or thought of standing on the other side of that damn barrier down the middle from the stage to sound booth.
    Fuck yeah, I'd say I've had a couple of those at Coachz...

Anyone at Konono #1 that year, dancing like there was no tomorrow?
    Life is but a dream

Default Re: Is Coachella life changing?

Yeah I was at Konono #1 up front and stayed for Jose Gonzalez and smoked a joint.... that was life changing.

My first year definitely was life changing. I found a ton of new bands that I'd never heard of before, saw a handful of bands I'd loved for years, and now have something cool to do every year with my friends. Each time I go, I always return home refreshed and in a better mood. I would say that Coachella will probably change your life.

It has changed my life, yes. It has become my litmus test for all things beautiful and amazing.

For this factor alone, it's also a double edged sword (much like seeing Daft Punk was).

You have to categorize it mentally: Coachella and Everything Else. If you don't, nothing will be fun ever again.
    Quote Originally Posted by paganman7 View Post
    I had a dream that my wife cheated on me with Calmer. True story.
    Quote Originally Posted by TeamCoachellaHellYeah View Post
    Did you find pee in her butt?

The murder capital where we murder for capital

Yes. It is lifechanging. From the first time I stepped onto the grounds I knew I was coming. I went one day in 2005 and the two main bands I wanted to see both disapointed but I fell in love with fest. Last year was the peak. I don't see how it can be topped but it doesn't matter, it's so much fun every year.

I'd say that Coachella gave me the appreciation for live music that I have today.

It changed me. It's such a unique experience I don't know how it couldn't change you. The rest of the world doesn't exist for three days. The atmosphere is perfect, and everyone there loves it just as much as you do.

You'll never be the same again.

same response as everyone else.

yes it is life changing.

i pull a good handful of new bands from every year i go to that become part of my regular rotation of cds.

plus, the community experience is not to be missed. be sure you camp!
    Coachella 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11
    Lollapalooza 95, 96, 97, 03, 08
    Rock The Bells 07, 09, 10
    Sasquatch 10
    Bonnaroo 09
    Vegoose 07, RIP
    Mile High 09

Upcoming Shows
    6/9 - Deftones/Dillenger | 6/10 - Cake | 6/17 - Buckethead | 6/28 - Glitch Mob | 7/25 - APC | 7/30 - LA Rising (Rage, Muse, Lauryn Hill, Rise Against) | 8/12 - Cut//Copy

it changed my life. my first coachella was in 2007 - my boyfriend and i had heard of coachella, were dying to go, but simply couldn't afford it. on the sunday before coachella started i won tickets on a radio station in phx where we live. we arranged time off with our bosses and all that responsible shit and road tripped it to indio. day one was incredible. i remember feeling the same way i felt when i first visited new york city when i walked through the gates. i had never seen anything like it. i was on sensory overload. and that was only the beginning. music, the tents, the installations, the coachella sky, coachella sunset, the do lab, the people, omg i just can't describe it.

i can't think of a reason i would miss a year. the line up really doesn't even matter - its all about being there. when i have kiddos, i will bring them. i beg friends to spend the $$ for tickets because i sincerely believe in the coachella experience. i can't explain it to you because this will be your first time, but after you go, i hope you will understand. there's something incredible about spending 3 days with people who love music and are there for the love of music. the rest of the world doesn't exist - the center of my universe becomes music, art, people and experiences. for 3 days every year, i am in a place where i am allowed to be ME. not the professional, structured, crappy me i am at home, but the real me ... a hippie girl wandering around barefoot and weaving flowers in my hair, dancing, singing and reveling in the music and art that is coachella. coachella kind of centers me for the year. i find a little more me every year in indio.

so yeah, it changed my life. i don't know that you can expect coachella to change your life though. mostly i think you have to go for the experience and see what happens.

You bet your left testicle it changed my life!

Its become the one thing i look forward to most every year.

COACHELLA>>>>>>CHRISTMAS>>>>>>BIRTHDAY
    Coachella 07 (the introduction), 08 (the bands), 09 (the documentary), 10 (the people i came with), 11 (the relationship test... we passed), 12 (whatever the weather, Dirty Epic forever), 13 (the year of the troll)

- PEARL JAM WHY YOU HATE COACHELLA? -

COACHELLA > BEING BORN

Resident DnB Encyclopedia Donaldj's Avatar

It is definitely life changing. This will be my fourth Coachella and I'll never miss one as long as it keeps running.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless Semantic View Post
    If there was a Frank Lucas of DnB links, Donald would be him...

Donald is not only the Frank Lucas of the board, but also the resident Buddha.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud Luster View Post
    All in favor of an Underworld / High Contrast US co-tour say "AYE!"
    "Real Drum & Bass is not something that sounds like a 17 year old rock band who have just listened to Slipmatt on their first E & decided to make Drum & Bass" - Marcus Intalex

http://soundcloud.com/donaldj-1/jind...pect-8-16-2012

Coachella Junkie boarderwoozel3's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Coachella Bound View Post
    You bet your left testicle it changed my life!

Its become the one thing i look forward to most every year.

COACHELLA>>>>>>CHRISTMAS>>>>>>BIRTHDAY
    Ditto.

It completely changed the way I view music. You could say it turned music into an obsession.
    Last edited by boarderwoozel3; 02-14-2010 at 05:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by radiohead33 View Post
    Part of the reason I want to go, is this idea, however infantile or juvenile it sounds, is the idea that going to a festival can change your life. That seeing a band can change your life, that one night or 3 days and nights of music, can alter your worldview. A moment where everything makes sense, where the outside world doesnt exist and its just the music and thousands of your closest friends.

Its not all that crazy, because its happened several times to me, seeing mindblowing life changing live shows, but it seems like with the large amount of bands that attend these shows, the probability of this would be hightenend. I have only attended standard shows, 1 or two opening bands and then the headliner. What appeals to me about festivals and coachella is that there usually is 20 bands worth seeing and many more, who you dont know, but would most likely be worth checking out.

Thoughts?

After attending coachella do you feel different? Changed?
    it just depends on what you have done in life. if you dont go to many shows, dont travel much, and hang out in your moms basement, yeah its life changing.

for me, no, it hasnt been life changing. i have had enjoyable moments but nothing that shattered my reality there. i guess i am the only one so far that didn't think that it was life changing, but i frequent festivals so i think thats part of it for me.

if you want your life changed, and to be enlightened, go do some acid or mushrooms or peyote, that shit WILL change your life.*

*i dont condone doing drugs but if you want to be enlightened i think these are the way to go
    Last edited by pocket; 01-26-2009 at 12:57 PM.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/pocketphotography/
    i shoot all the shows you want to go to

Quote Originally Posted by pocket View Post

if you want your life changed, and to be enlightened, go do some acid or mushrooms or peyote, that shit WILL change your life.*

*i dont condone doing drugs but if you want to be enlightened i think these are the way to go
    coachella changed my life more than 'shrooms ... i'm just sayin'

Lurker

Coachella is this brief moment of connection with thousands of people, and it truly is amazing. Its unexplainable. Everyone is listening to music together, and suffering in 104 degree weather together. Its almost as if everyone becomes one large mass of bliss. Being able to see as many amazing/favorite bands all day, dancing all night and meeting people who are excited as you are is actually life changing. But be warned- Coachella wont change your life if you aren't passionate about the music. But if you are, there are no words to describe the moment you arrive at coachella for your first time. It is such an unforgettable moment. Coachella is my favorite holiday. As soon as it is over, I start recounting to when it starts.
    n e o n g l i t t e r

I can honestly say that it has changed my life, just like everyone else who has given their story already. It's an experience that touches on some many different levels. You have the awesome music selection from bands that you loved before to bands you didnt know existed until you walked by their set. It's always been a very cool and friendly vibe (minus some angst from RATM crowd). Plus the artistic side, seeing the grounds decorated, the cool art work, and knowing you're apart of Coachella.

I knew my first year there that there was something special. Finding new bands to groove to, and some outside my typical genre selection, was the start. The final nail in the coffin was chatting with my friends the last night, passing out left over granola bars to people passing by; we had one girl next to us join us because she was tired of laughing at our stories and jokes by herself in the tent and wanted to hang out, some random drunk dude drinking a 40oz of OE, and an asian dude in a full on winnie-the-pooh costume. Random people, from all walks of life, in different states of mind, enjoying eachothers' company, conversation, and music.

And it's only gotten better year after year.

Coachella is the only reason I wake up in the morning.
    New York Ice Cream TV Travel Good Times

lowfront

Coachella is very life changing......

I think about it more then sex

i went to my first coachella last year and it was so life changing. so much good music, good people, etc. its just an awesome experience. i live in texas currently, and will attend every coachella as long as its still running.

yep. went for the first time last year and now i can't see myself ever not going. but it definitely made bumbershoot (seattle music festival) suuuuper lame. or maybe that's just cause keyshia cole played.

I'll never forget seeing Rage re-unite at Coachella 07 and all the great friends I have made because of the festival. It is very life changing. And I also got HIV from an British woman at Coachella. Which I'll also never forget.

Coachella Junkie boarderwoozel3's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ALBIEEE View Post
    yep. went for the first time last year and now i can't see myself ever not going. but it definitely made bumbershoot (seattle music festival) suuuuper lame. or maybe that's just cause keyshia cole played.
    Naw, bumbershoot never could hang with Coachella, not even close. And TI didn't help.

Last year's Portishead performance pretty much made my life, so to answer your question, yes, Coachella is life changing.
    2008, 2009, 2011, 2012-2, 2013-1...

Quote Originally Posted by beckylyn View Post
    coachella changed my life more than 'shrooms ... i'm just sayin'
    i was going for more the moment of enlightenment type thing. also with peyote its what the indians gave boys to change them into men, do some cactus button and tell me you dont have a moment of enlightenment.

i just dont think, with my life experiences, coachella is life changing. its just another us festival and one that isnt quite as fun as some of the european festivals.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/pocketphotography/
    i shoot all the shows you want to go to

Quote Originally Posted by boarderwoozel3 View Post
    Naw, bumbershoot never could hang with Coachella, not even close. And TI didn't help.
    well, 06 & 07 (minus fergie) were kinda legit, but it seems to get shittier and shittier. sad.

Oh yes, it changed my life so much!

In 2004 I went with a group of friends, including the man I was in love with. We had been dancing around whether we were going to get together and make it work or not, but I already knew that he was the person I wanted to marry. Once out in the desert, we had the most magical time of our lives. By the end of the weekend we had finally become a couple.

We got married in 2006, and we have come to Coachella (sans our other friends) as an anniversary celebration of sorts every year since '04. Coachella is a special place even if something of this magnitude hasn't happened to you here, but there is certainly something sentimental and special for us--and I can't imagine NOT going. We love going down there each year to get sweaty & dirty, eat tons of churros, and listen to some of the best music in the world.

We are also big music people, but not typically good with being proactive about finding new bands, going to shows, knowing about shows etc. Coachella changed all of that for me in particular--I now make a huge effort to listen to a much wider variety of music, to follow music more closely, and have discovered SEVERAL of my now favorite groups from Coachella.

In short, it's awesome, but you need to capture the magic for yourself!

I'm from Argentina and I hope It's life changing. We don't have this kind of festivals here and interesting artists don't come so often (in the case of indie bands the situation is even worse). I love traveling and the combination of visiting a new place, music and nice people sounds perfect. I heard about Coachella in 2007 and I couldn't believe such a perfect festival could exist, I mean, there were like 40 bands i liked in 3 days !!! 3 f#k%! days !! when I normally get to see 3 or 4 bands each year [If I get lucky].
    I really don't know if everyone sees the magnitude of this but I can't describe how much I want to be there.