Thread: Positive Review of Club Nokia at L.A. Live

Thumbs up Positive Review of Club Nokia at L.A. Live

Friends had an extra ticket to O.A.R last night at Club Nokia. Since most of us haven't been there yet, I'd share my review.

It’s on the third floor of L.A. live just above Lucky Strike. One escalator gets you to Lucky Strike, the next gets you to the entrance area to Club Nokia. It’s nice to have so many options at L.A. Live to pre-party right before the show and literally go upstairs to the show. I don’t like the overall death-star architecture of L.A. Live, but this review is about Club Nokia. Once you get inside, it’s fine.

Entrance:
    Plenty of staff directing people where to go and the shortest lines to go through. Had to go through standard metal detectors and security seemed very relaxed. Staff was helpful and the entrance process was very efficient. Once inside, the lobby had some technology gimmicks with camera phones and so forth that put your picture on LED screens way up above. Signs indicated “Go to 5th floor for best view in the house”. (more on that in a minute).

1st Floor:
    The first floor of the club is comparable to House of Blues Sunset. Similar size stage with a standing only floor right in front. Only difference is that even though the entire show was GA, the very front part of the floor was roped off for some sort of VIPs. The first floor is a lot better layout than House of Blues because there are more tiers stepping up slowly all the way to the back bar (almost like the Wiltern, but not so big) so it’s easier to see for shorter people. In general, there were very few obstructions on the first floor. Very cool décor. No seating.

The Bar:
    The bar was very well staffed and lines to get drinks were very short. Staff was quick, friendly, and always available.

Upstairs:
    You’d never know it, but there’s a small cutout in the ceiling right in front of the stage that allows about 30 rows of about 800 people to have very close and perfect unobstructed views of the stage from upstairs offering those who want to sit down fantastic vantage points. The first 5 rows upstairs were designated “VIP”, but the rest was GA. The worst seat in the house was still very very close to the stage.

Major props to the architects, mathematicians, and engineers who designed the upstairs. The angels are perfect and every venue to be built in the future should use Club Nokia as a benchmark.

Upstairs had a bar the same size and location as the downstairs bar. It was also very well staffed, and you could get a drink very quickly and return to your seats without missing a thing. A small patio overlooked Nokia Plaza for those needing fresh air or a smoke.

Sound was OK. My friends raved about the acoustics, but I didn’t notice anything special. I’ll take their word for it.

Exit:
    It was very easy to get out after the show. A steady stream of people going down stairs and escalators directed by “Red Coats” you’d see at Staples Center.

Overall, I highly recommend Club Nokia as a venue to check out your favorite acts or check out other acts that your on the fence about.
    Last edited by PlayaDelWes; 01-25-2009 at 07:44 PM.

Default Re: Positive Review of Club Nokia at L.A. Live

WTF everyone? Doesn't anyone care about someone actually adding value to this board? Sure, I'm no entertainment editor, but hell, I took 20 mintues and put my thoughts into an original editorial about one of LAs newest music venues.

And I get no love?

Apparently, attention is only granted if you're a lurker, posting false rumors, or if you're a complete jerk to everyone else.

If my review of Club Nokia was boring, so be it.

Nice review but U2 is live nation.

did you take any pictures?

Quote Originally Posted by cansei de ser sexme View Post
    did you take any pictures?
    I took none, but the website represents pretty well

http://www.clubnokia.com/photos.php

coool.

great review

The bars both upstairs and downstairs are fantastic and that smoking patio (that you can bring your drinks to) is even better. The sound and the seating upstairs is phenomenal.
    Quote Originally Posted by superfan View Post
    And I have a dick for you to eat if youre hungry still.

The sound was really good in this room. Sightlines were pretty good too. Everyone was helpful and friendly that I encountered. Decent vibe. Low ceiling was weird though...reminded me of Echoplex.

the bottom floor is like the echoplex but now featuring sight lines!

playa, we already talked about club nokia a lot last month when it opened...that's prob why no one jumped on this thread. we also didn't make an individual thread for it... just put it in upcoming shows. but hey, i'm all about the promotion. the club rules. it's one of my favorites. andrew, hopefully next time you come out, the balcony will be open. and freaking turn 21 already so you can see the vip room.

Quote Originally Posted by Ardentbiscuit View Post
    This is the equivalent of musical water boarding.

Quote Originally Posted by PlayaDelWes View Post
    WTF everyone? Doesn't anyone care about someone actually adding value to this board? Sure, I'm no entertainment editor, but hell, I took 20 mintues and put my thoughts into an original editorial about one of LAs newest music venues.

And I get no love?

Apparently, attention is only granted if you're a lurker, posting false rumors, or if you're a complete jerk to everyone else.

Nice review. I'm sure it's helpful for people who have not been there (like me).

Just got back from seeing Sharon Jones & the Dap Kings at Club Nokia. Great venue. Parking sucks. Very expensive.
    "Well, that's just like, you know... your opinion, man"

And I get no love?

Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

OK, who the heck is O.A.R.? Last night, there were TWO different O.A.R. concerts on TWO different channels at the same time...HDNet and Palladia. (The channels are not related and have different owners.)

I mean, I've heard the name but never payed much attention.

Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    OK, who the heck is O.A.R.? .
    Random "jam band" #297

Quote Originally Posted by wstsidela View Post
    Just got back from seeing Sharon Jones & the Dap Kings at Club Nokia. Great venue. Parking sucks. Very expensive.
    whaaaa? we parked for free last night. i only saw one parking lot attendant on duty down all figueroa, so we just didn't park in his lot. don't tell me you parked in the nokia theatre lot....

Rule of thumb: Never ever ever park within 0-1.5 blocks from Staples / LA Live. You’ll pay up to $25.

If you are willing to walk 5 blocks, you can almost always find FREE street parking between Olympic and Wilshire and between Flower and Olive. Most of the time you can find street parking around FIDM, which is just a few blocks away.

If you want the security and safety of a paid lot, there are two cheap lots on Hope Street just south of Olympic that charge $10 for really big nights (up to $15 for Lakers Playoffs) and $5 for most other nights. Just north of Olympic most lots cap out at $5. It’s no more than a 5 minute walk and the streets are very safe.

Plus, if you park 2-5 blocks away there is NEVER any traffic getting in and out of Downtown (until you're on the 110).
    Last edited by PlayaDelWes; 01-26-2009 at 07:53 AM.

playa knows his shit.

*or her shit

And I get no love?

if you post looking for love, you have come to the wrong place.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/pocketphotography/
    i shoot all the shows you want to go to