Page 48 of 55 FirstFirst ... 4344454647484950515253 ... LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,440 of 1641

Thread: Photography?

Default Re: Photography?

^Yep. i work and commute a lot for my real job and only have so much time for picture sharing. my job used to be a bit mellower than it is now (please lotto gods, make it so i don't go back) and posting was easier during down times. On a exciting note: Mark III arrived today! Gonna hit DLand and see what it can do in the dark. Wheeee!

thanks for the compliments you guys. They are much appreciated.

alright, so now i'm not so sure i want the G1 X anymore. I want something more compact and would rather save the $ for a new SLR.
    Is the Canon S100 my best option?
    does anyone here have it?

yes that's a 5.8cm 1.4 lens WOOT
    .. __o
    .. -\ <,
    ..(_)/(_)

Quote Originally Posted by corbo View Post
    alright, so now i'm not so sure i want the G1 X anymore. I want something more compact and would rather save the $ for a new SLR.
    Is the Canon S100 my best option?
    does anyone here have it?
    I think Emtgreg has one. At least the s95.

Quote Originally Posted by ivankay View Post
    ^Yep. i work and commute a lot for my real job and only have so much time for picture sharing. my job used to be a bit mellower than it is now (please lotto gods, make it so i don't go back) and posting was easier during down times. On a exciting note: Mark III arrived today! Gonna hit DLand and see what it can do in the dark. Wheeee!
    Well look at you, you get some practice in before the big event.

Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post

Well look at you, you get some practice in before the big event.
    Gotta get familiar with what the new camera can do. Figuring it out at Coachella would add frustration and who wants that at Coachella? Anyway, here's a few of the high ISO experiments. The first ones are 12,800, 1/60 ish with a 28mm 1.8 in a moving doom buggy:

These are 20,000, about 1/30 with a 3.5-5.6:

Pretty much out of the box shots. Need to comb through the manual and teach my fingers to be fast.

I just bought a canon powershot SX150 IS less than a week ago, and I'm realizing the actuality of battery drainage on it. I have Lithium rechargeable batteries but seems to drain faster than the reviews let on. I should probably just keep 4 extra AA's on hand each day? I'll also have a video recorder, so I won't drain the power with taking video, thankfully.

I just bought a g12 for coachella and i'm pleased with the manual settings
    Friday: Outkast | Girl Talk | HAIM | Bonobo | Flume | Wye Oak | The Preatures
    Saturday: Lorde | Sleigh Bells | CHVRCHES | Capital Cities | Warpaint | Washed Out | Banks
    Sunday: Arcade Fire | Beck | Disclosure | Lana Del Rey | AlunaGeorge | Superchunk | Daughter | Poolside

Love my G12. You are going to have a grand time with it. Zoom isn't too impressive, but the rest more than make up for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Originalbob View Post
    I just bought a canon powershot SX150 IS less than a week ago, and I'm realizing the actuality of battery drainage on it. I have Lithium rechargeable batteries but seems to drain faster than the reviews let on. I should probably just keep 4 extra AA's on hand each day? I'll also have a video recorder, so I won't drain the power with taking video, thankfully.
    Stop using the flash.........

And yes, keep extra batteries with you. I still dont like that canon has not moved on from using AA batteries for that camera line. It can do quite a bit for something that wont break the bank.

Borrowing a friends 7D with a 24 - 70mm and a 70 - 200 2.8L for something next week.
    A few practice shots with the dog

Anyone ever use a OWLE Bubo? I'm not sure if I want to grab one of these or an Olloclip. but I don't think I want to take my camera with me so I'm thinking either get a lens for my phone or just not take photos.

[QUOTE=Courtney;2424911]Top 5 Photographic Mistakes My Friends Make That Drive Me Crazy:

4. Taking too long to post-process and upload: If it's more than 3 days after the event, I have lost interest. Do it quick, or bury the photos for eternity. No one wants to check out your niece's dog's christening ceremony from four months ago.

Don't agree with this one.

I understand the timing issue and how it applies to a practical business sense, but if it's just because people lose interest, then there are other things at work. Most of us don't shoot as our main vocation, so if I have 500+ images to go through after an event... it's going to be more than 3 days to get it done. I could probably push myself and stay up all-night for a few days to get it up, but that kinda takes the fun out of shooting, and my family suffers. I'd rather them be buried for eternity.

A good picture is timeless and doesn't depend on the speed of it being put up on a blog. (Unless you have some serious attention span or ADHD issues) If a picture is good, I'm not all that concerned about seeing it the next day. Not too mention, I know pros that have a week or two in a row being booked of just shooting events, and they time their processing up to 2 weeks after a given event
    Last edited by C DUB YA; 04-10-2012 at 10:44 AM.
    The Glitter Freeze

Coachella 99-10 Vet, the run has ended in 2011

Quote Originally Posted by C DUB YA View Post
    Don't agree with this one.

I understand the timing issue and how it applies to a practical business sense, but if it's just because people lose interest, then there are other things at work. Most of us don't shoot as our main vocation, so if I have 500+ images to go through after an event... it's going to be more than 3 days to get it done. I could probably push myself and stay up all-night for a few days to get it up, but that kinda takes the fun out of shooting, and my family suffers. I'd rather them be buried for eternity.

A good picture is timeless and doesn't depend on the speed of it being put up on a blog. (Unless you have some serious attention span or ADHD issues) If a picture is good, I'm not all that concerned about seeing it the next day. Not too mention, I know pros that have a week or two in a row being booked of just shooting events, and they time their processing up to 2 weeks after a given event
    Ok, I partially agree here. I do think that a truly excellent picture is timeless. However, I think there is a whole continuum of photo quality, and as great as all my friends are, they aren't snapping Cartier-Bresson photos on a daily basis. I guess maybe I should say that I think that speed and quality should be inversely proportional. If it's a garden variety photo that's there as a document of an event without anything particularly special about it, I lose interest a whole lot more quickly than if it is truly extraordinary.

I was looking at purchasing a new camera what are some of your thoughts on the Canon T3i? I hear the stock lens is ass, so I was looking at the Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM, any thoughts on this lens? I have gone over hundreds of reviews and seen mostly good praise.

I completely agree, cdub. If you're not on a deadline, then what's the rush? I understand that putting pics out a year after an event is long gone (cough*Mike) may lose some of it's significance, but if there's a personal connection to the material for the viewer that memory will always be there. Having that time apart may even make the picture more meaningful.
    Last edited by algunz; 04-10-2012 at 11:14 AM.

thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Tubesock Shakur View Post
    I was looking at purchasing a new camera what are some of your thoughts on the Canon T3i? I hear the stock lens is ass, so I was looking at the Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM, any thoughts on this lens? I have gone over hundreds of reviews and seen mostly good praise.
    Rule of thumb is most kit lenses aren't up to snuff. Not well versed on Canon products...

A good walk around lens I find is the 24-70, plus you can get that faster than f4.
    The Glitter Freeze

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
    Ok, I partially agree here. I do think that a truly excellent picture is timeless. However, I think there is a whole continuum of photo quality, and as great as all my friends are, they aren't snapping Cartier-Bresson photos on a daily basis. I guess maybe I should say that I think that speed and quality should be inversely proportional. If it's a garden variety photo that's there as a document of an event without anything particularly special about it, I lose interest a whole lot more quickly than if it is truly extraordinary.

I understand what you are saying, but that's what stuff like instagram is for, imo.

Paying jobs and deadlines aside... good processing on good images takes time.
    The Glitter Freeze

Last edited by C DUB YA; 04-10-2012 at 11:55 AM.
    The Glitter Freeze

Could be The Black Keys...

Quote Originally Posted by Tubesock Shakur View Post

Quote Originally Posted by C DUB YA View Post
    Rule of thumb is most kit lenses aren't up to snuff. Not well versed on Canon products...

A good walk around lens I find is the 24-70, plus you can get that faster than f4.
    What he said, so if you have the money, by all means.

ALRIGHT, finally got to use the 70 - 200mm I'm borrowing. My dog is so patient sometimes....

Chris, i'm looking into a rain sleeve for the camera and lens. Having one in you bag will be a small investment against "Fuck my camera's wet".

Eh, I'll just have a plastic bag or something. Besides. I can just use the other camera to get things done, it can take the rain pretty well. I got a snazzy backpack though!

Yeah, in a pinch a ziplock bag with a couple elastic bands works well in my experience. That's probably what I will be bringing as an emergency precaution.

Just some fun Coachella pictures from the weekend

Sun Setting over the main stage

Everyone leaving after Snoop

The sun setting over the Ferris wheel on the way to the Weeknd

Itsgonrain and me at the Grand Canyon

Grand Canyon on the way home

The Phoenix was sitting on the branch.
    Quote Originally Posted by nerdtram View Post
    if you can't pull off getting drugs into a festival and consuming them, you don't deserve them.
    Quote Originally Posted by ods.. View Post
    Wait. You like Cudi but you think Outkast is a one hit wonder.

Somebody shoot this fuck.

spending some time at Joshua Tree before Coachella Weekend 2

Mt Ryan, Joshua Tree by corboamnesiac, on Flickr

Also, it was nice meeting you Ivankay!

The feeling is mutual. Love the picture. i almost expect the 2001 monkey to come out and throw a jaw bone in the air.

My Friend Matthew Hodges took some killer shots of the of the festival last weekend. You can find more of his work at http://www.matthewhodges.com

^ Man those are some great photos.

Awhile ago i took some photos of a skate demo at the Long Beach Grand prix.

gotta love the roller girls

and a random one